S Korea's state insurer sues Philip Morris for disease caused by smoking

webfact

Perhaps some of us have been around more than 50 years.

I can assure you that when I was young, cigarettes were fully advertised in magazines, on billboards, on television and smoking was allowed everywhere, even in hospitals.

Older students in school were not allowed to smoke in the school, except in the furnace room or across the street from the school.

If there was a study that showed a link to smoking and cancer it had been pretty much buried by the tobacco lobby. Oh, and I remember a discussion in a science class about whether smoking was danger. The only think the teacher could present was anecdotal information, such as shortness of breath if you played sports.

We had 3 doctors in our small town. All 3 smoked. Most of our teachers smoked (the science teacher and the coach didn't).

Oh, and when you went to buy candy, you could buy candy cigarettes, so you could pretend to smoke.

I don't know that they are being sued for selling tobacco. I think they are being sued for manipulating the information and content of the tobacco to cause addiction.

Food companies are getting the same message. If you are going to put certain types of fats and additives in the substance, you need to let people know.

The cigarette companies should be sued. If they haven't done anything wrong, then they will win. It's up to the gov't to make the case.

I can assure you that when I was young, cigarettes were fully advertised in magazines, on billboards, on television and smoking was allowed everywhere, even in hospitals.

Older students in school were not allowed to smoke in the school, except in the furnace room or across the street from the school.

If there was a study that showed a link to smoking and cancer it had been pretty much buried by the tobacco lobby. Oh, and I remember a discussion in a science class about whether smoking was danger. The only think the teacher could present was anecdotal information, such as shortness of breath if you played sports.

We had 3 doctors in our small town. All 3 smoked. Most of our teachers smoked (the science teacher and the coach didn't).

Oh, and when you went to buy candy, you could buy candy cigarettes, so you could pretend to smoke.

If you smoked and had shortness of breath, wouldn't that give you a clue? If you or anyone you knew was on the school track team, you would have not smoked because it was known that it would hinder your performance. Everyone knew that smoking gave you a hackers cough and was detrimental to your health. i didnt need a surgeon general or a pair of black lungs on my cigarette package to tell me that.

If you smoked and had shortness of breath, wouldn't that give you a clue? If you or anyone you knew was on the school track team, you would have not smoked because it was known that it would hinder your performance. Everyone knew that smoking gave you a hackers cough and was detrimental to your health. i didnt need a surgeon general or a pair of black lungs on my cigarette package to tell me that.

You could convince yourself that your shortness of breath was down to anything - even not training hard enough or too much, or pneumonia etc. I knew many top athletes who smoked in the 80s (half the Aussie cricket team were smokers in the late 70s, as were a good proportion of top sportsmen in a number of fields).

So imagine what it was like when it was still not general knowledge smoking was likely to be lethal!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You could convince yourself that your shortness of breath was down to anything - even not training hard enough or too much, or pneumonia etc. I knew many top athletes who smoked in the 80s (half the Aussie cricket team were smokers in the late 70s, as were a good proportion of top sportsmen in a number of fields).

So imagine what it was like when it was still not general knowledge smoking was likely to be lethal!

If you didnt think it was general knowledge, you are just kidding yourself. How many of your friend's dad were smokers and had that hackers cough, or had lung cancer. They all knew it was from smoking. How many dads told their kids not to smoke. maybe you lived a secluded life, but most people I would bet knew the consequences, but wanted to be cool for their friends and the ladies

I wonder why my dad would beat the shit out of me if my mom found a cig in my pocket when I was a kid or I came home with smoker breath without first buying cincin to clean my breath.

The link to lung cancer was out there in the 70s but in my secluded life when I was able to get away from my meditation duties in the monastry cave for a beer or three I remember many smokers arguing that their best mates second cousin's next door neighbour was 107 and still smoked a pack of Camels a day, therefore it was all a load of garbage. A lot of smokers denied it was affecting them negatively as there were studies funded by the tobacco giants that attacked the link to cancer, which they could draw comfort from.

Anyway, the biology of cause and effect and addiction are way more complicated than you suggest. So I reckon let the tobacco companies rot in hell.

Now if you'll excuse me I have another 22, 357 Hail Mary's to say before I can take off this damn hair shirt and knock off. Secluded this life may be but easy it ain't!

I don't know that they are being sued for selling tobacco. I think they are being sued for manipulating the information and content of the tobacco to cause addiction.

Food companies are getting the same message. If you are going to put certain types of fats and additives in the substance, you need to let people know.

The cigarette companies should be sued. If they haven't done anything wrong, then they will win. It's up to the gov't to make the case.

There isn't much in a cigarette other than the tobacco that isn't in food.

There isn't much in a cigarette other than the tobacco that isn't in food.

But you don't normally smoke your food, do you?