Democrats want live broadcast for election preparations dialogue

webfact

Democrats want live broadcast for election preparations dialogue
By English News

13974673393129.jpg

BANGKOK, April 14 – The opposition Democrat Party today called on Thailand's ruling Pheu Thai Party to assign a fully-authorised member to attend a discussion on the upcoming general election, initiated by the Election Commission (EC).

Democrat spokesman Chavanond Indrakomalsut said party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva will join the meeting, scheduled for next Tuesday, if the Pheu Thai leader, or a party executive with full power, also attends.

He also called for a live broadcast of the forum so people will be aware of politicians’ sincerity towards the nationwide polls.

The EC has invited all political parties to dialogue on preparations for the new general election after the Feb 2 nationwide balloting was annulled by the Constitution Court.

Mr Chavanond said the political crisis was not related to the Democrats’ decision not to contest in the Feb 2 election, as charged by the Pheu Thai Party.

He said the ruling party’s behaviour, including its disrespect to the monarch and corruption, during the two-year administration has deteriorated the country’s political atmosphere.

Pheu Thai deputy spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard said former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has been the victim of attacks by the opposition which has repeatedly lost in general elections but wanted to rule the country through an “unconventional procedure.”

He was referring to a recent statement by Mr Thaksin, extending good wishes to the Thai people to mark Songkran, the Thai New Year.

Mr Thaksin called on the Thai people to end their conflicts and look to the future, said Mr Anusorn who insisted that the ousted premier’s Songkran statement did not mean to attack the Democrat Party.

He charged the Democrat Party with manipulating people to remove the popularly-elected government and boycott two general elections in eight years.

He also blamed the EC for delaying the election, resulting in a political vacuum and a dead-end for Thailand. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-14

Well it is a step in the right direction , for all parties to meet and discuss the up coming general elections with the EC, the part I missed, is their going to be one, you have a polarization effect with Suthep ,calling for reform before elections, you can't have it both ways, as for Thaskin Shinawatra , one hopes that this will be the last we hear from this fine up standing person of Thailand society , however Thaskin raises a good point and quote, popular elected government , is correct , so why all the protests and problems , Thaskin has not addressed this issue.bah.gif

• Like 2

What Thailand need is an appointment od of clean and pure politician like Suthep to lead the country.

Thailand is not really for a free election. Not now at least.

"clean and pure politician like Suthep"

I have been away for a while, did we get a new Suthep?

• Like 2

Abhisit is extending a hand here, and it would be wise for Pheu Thai to extend theirs. This discussion that the EC has set up next week should indeed be attended by all parties including both Pheu Thai and the Democratic party. And the public should see what is being said, as well. Abhisit is right on all points. But there is no certainty that Pheu Thai will relinquish their apparent need to not to appear to be beholden to anyone. They're funny that way. They don't like the EC and they don't like Abhisit, and this discussion wasn't their idea, it was the EC's. Pheu Thai clearly hasn't coordinated their attitude towards the Democratic party, and that's a pity, because Thaksin and Pheu Thai actually need them a lot more than the Democrats need Pheu Thai. Without the Democrats, there is no parliamentary quorum. But every time that Pheu Thai tries to clarify their stance with the Democrats - like today for example - they end up managing to send two messages simultaneously. On one hand, they seem to want to engage them, but find they can't help castigating them in some way at the same time. It's hard to know how Pheu Thai expect these " clarifications " to go over ! It's the strangest of patterns. In fact, it is very hard to determine exactly what is going on in the minds of Pheu Thai, but it's clear their actions are out of sync with their stated goals. They want an election, but are not willing to cooperate with the EC. Pheu Thai is actually hurting themselves. They're locked into a pout and they can't quite go beyond that. As far as Pheu Thai are concerned, everyone has treated them unfairly - the Democrats, the EC, the NACC, the courts. Pheu Thai are locked in a mindset where they are looking at everything and everyone to blame, without even considering the possibility that their own actions and behavior might have been a contributing factor. We all know for certain that Yingluck won't attend, because she never attends anything that actually requires her to speak and to think on her feet. She may of course post observations on her facebook page. But it would be in Pheu Thai's interests to send someone. At the end of the day, what truly matters is that the public gets to view this discussion. This would be a rare opportunity for them to see exactly how their future representatives intend to vouch for their support simply by how they behave and whether they are prepared to have a mature discussion with their colleagues. Television is a remarkably naked medium. Those who manage to appear composed and thoughtful will end up with considerable optical advantages.

Abhisit is just trying to add conditions to an election so that he can reject the election for failing to meet his pre-conditions. Election rules are defined by the constitution and run by the Election Commission, its not open to discussion. No aspect of elections is in the governments control, and certainly not a party not running in elections has any say legally.

Two things I can safetly predict, 1) the Democrats won't be standing at election unless Pheu Thai can be banned, at which point EC will suddenly remember it has an election to run and the Democrats will then stand. 2) elections will not be permitted while Pheu Thai can win. The Feb 2nd election had enough turnout for PT to easily win enough seats to form a government, and the mood is shifted strongly against Democrats since then, so elections will not be permitted. You could see that by the way the EC was dragging its heals over elections, by law it has 60 days to organize elections, yet took more than 120 days to run by-elections, and was refusing to register candidates without a second (unconstitutional) dissolution of parliament decree. As if dissolving parliament is somehow needed when parliament is already dissolved.

• Like 2

If Abhisit really wants to prove that he takes the election seriously

1) He shouldn't have boycotted the February 2nd Election

2) He should turn up to the meeting with the EC regardless of whether anybody from the PTP shows up or not. If they don't turn up then he has made his point. To make his "appearance" conditional is just grandstanding.

He is just playing political mind games, proving, once again, that he is only good for talking.

(Note the dems are playing the anti monarchy card again, manipulating the old "yellow" votes)

In a parallel universe where Thailand doesn't have a meddling dinosaur General.... parallel EC announced the schedule for elections in the parallel Royal Gazette, parallel Abhisit announces he'll stand or not stand, it makes no difference since he's not going to win regardless, EC runs elections, accepting help to clear any protestors instead of refusing it.

Elections are held, democracy wins.

Instead it takes a month for EC to organize a meeting, which can have no impact because it has no legal basis and just seems to be a delaying tactic.

• Like 2

If Abhisit really wants to prove that he takes the election seriously

1) He shouldn't have boycotted the February 2nd Election

2) He should turn up to the meeting with the EC regardless of whether anybody from the PTP shows up or not. If they don't turn up then he has made his point. To make his "appearance" conditional is just grandstanding.

He is just playing political mind games, proving, once again, that he is only good for talking.

(Note the dems are playing the anti monarchy card again, manipulating the old "yellow" votes)

In a parallel universe where Thailand doesn't have a meddling dinosaur General.... parallel EC announced the schedule for elections in the parallel Royal Gazette, parallel Abhisit announces he'll stand or not stand, it makes no difference since he's not going to win regardless, EC runs elections, accepting help to clear any protestors instead of refusing it.

Elections are held, democracy wins.

Instead it takes a month for EC to organize a meeting, which can have no impact because it has no legal basis and just seems to be a delaying tactic.

... and in this parallel universe, can I presume that there is no corruption in Thailand? (hard to imagine but there are infinitely many parallel universes). If so, then I'm certain that mr. Thaksin would have little interest in giving all his time and effort working tirelessly for the benefit of Thai people with no benefit to himself, and that would be a wonderful place where all Thai people, even Abhisit, would be happy.

Just the other day i was confronted by a begger in a wheelchair in my hometown.

Riding from one 7/11 to the other and gets situated near the entrance.

locals know him, so do I. part of a new trial in town.

I ignored him,when he started to swear at me,on occassion i got pissed off, replying 'ask Yingluck'

tricky remark as we live in a 'red' town....anyway.....the moral of my message is.....

Thai for Thai they say.

So why don't we just leave IT up to THEM

that way life stayes the way it is.........nice and easy!

What Thailand need is an appointment od of clean and pure politician like Suthep to lead the country.

Can I send u the bill for the clothes I just spat my beer all over whilst choking.

And they say that the reds have paid contributors on here.

• Like 2

Can I send u the bill for the clothes I just spat my beer all over whilst choking.

And they say that the reds have paid contributors on here.

To pretend they are die-hard Yellow shirts and spout nonsense to discredit the other side?

You threw that in just to get some bites, didn't you?whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

I think it is a fine idea. I also think that televised election debate for campaigning is a fine idea.

This is the way it is done in first world countries, and the electorate is suitably informed to make their choices.

The transparency has to start somewhere, and this is as good as any, if not the best place for it.

• Like 2

During the reforms, a Thai version of Prime Ministers Question Time should be made a legal responsibility of the job,every week questions must be answered live on tv. What a difference that would make here !!! A lot harder to get away with crimes when you have to answer for all your actions regularly.

• Like 1