Suvarnabhumi Airport on alert for lese majeste suspects

webfact

Airport On Alert For Lese Majeste Suspects
By Khaosod English

13975645041397564794l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Officials at Bangkok's international airport have been told to look out for Redshirts activists accused of insulting the monarchy.

Immigration officers and other officials at Suvarnabhumi Airport will be looking for Mr. Wuttipong Kochthammakul and Mr. Ekkaphob Lueara, lest any of the suspects attempts to enter and depart from the airport, said Pol.Maj. Wisit Chamnarnprai, director of the airport's immigration police, in a letter circulated among the officials.

"If [any of them] are found, the officers must inform their supervisors without delay," the letter stressed.

Both men are wanted on charges of lese majeste (insult of the monarchy) under the Article 112 of Thai Criminal Codes, and they have not been seen in public since the charges were pressed against them.

Mr. Ekkaphob was accused of defaming the monarchy after he appeared on a pro-government rally stage in Rajamangala Stadium in November 2013, while Mr. Wuttipong, aka Ko Tee, was charged with the offence following his interview with a Vice News reporter, which was published last week.

In the interview, Mr. Wuttipong, who is generally regarded as a "hardcore" Redshirts leader, could be seen speaking of His Majesty the King in a negative way. He appeared to be aware that his comments were given on-record.

Remarks deemed offensive toward the Royal Family are punishable by up to 15 years in prison per offence. Many anti-government protesters, who view the Redshirts as anti-monarchy republicans, have called upon the government to prove its allegiance to the monarchy by swiftly prosecuting Mr. Wuttipong and Mr. Ekkaphob.

It is not clear whether Mr. Wuttipong and Mr. Ekkaphob are still residing in Thailand. Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit Thoopkrachang, director of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police, has urged Mr. Wuttipong to surrender himself to the police to fight the allegation in the courts.

"It will be a benefit to himself," Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit said.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1397564504&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-16

Should not the reporter and that foreign media also be charged for being an accessory?And should not youtube be banned in thailand if the refuse to take it down.

PSSSSSSHT,....ph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.png You idiot, or youtube might really get ban.ned again,...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So Swampy has gone to Red Alert status.

These charges have not just happened so it's a case of Horses and Stable Doors but that's no surprise.

As is so often the case the feeling that cases like this generate is that the authorities will do whatever it takes not to effect an arrest.

Charges and hunts are business opportunities for the police "franchises." Thai police is a euphemism for business opportunity.

• Like 2

This place is slowly becoming like USA. Big brother everywhere, no freedom of speech. Nada!sad.png

This place is nothing like the USA. You have freedom of speech here on everything except talking bad about the king. Big brother is everywhere here? Hehee what a joke. Big brother in US is on every street and every corner. Here they are at checkpoints or walking around taking collections. Even if big brother catches your bad acts here you just hand him 3~4 dollars and he goes away but get caught in the US even for something simple like driving with no license and you will be paying hundreds plus spending some time in jail and probation. There is no comparison

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Just remember the good 'ol days..call the hotline. I was never quite sure if Dear Abhisit was doing his loyal duty in reporting something, or I should be expecting him to answer the phone when I called!

post-97442-0-77601300-1397609502_thumb.p

Edited by GinBoy2

Should not the reporter and that foreign media also be charged for being an accessory?And should not youtube be banned in thailand if the refuse to take it down.

So all reporters are to be charged as accessories to crimes they report?..... I thought Thai people had some strange thought processes until I came across you.

Go back to your spaceship.... Your people are waiting.

Airport On Alert For Lese Majeste Suspects

So then nest stop(s)??? Siam Paragon, Don Muang Airport, Mahidol University, ABAC, Central department stores???? Or the whole nation of Thailand,... or worst of all,... everybody's home??? Every orphanage, even kindergarten or any nursery, before kids are even born,... ????

This place is slowly becoming like USA. Big brother everywhere, no freedom of speech. Nada!sad.png

It's obvious that you have not seen the video. Its not a question of "freedom of speech". It was not just a comment that could be considered offensive, but a direct and clear threat to overthrown the head of state, accusing him of the troubles of the country, and a call to start a civil war. He even offered himself to shoot the first bullet.

That would be immediate cause for an arrest in any country, regardless of the level of freedom of speech.

Edited by MGP
  • Like 1

if you dont have the media to expose things we never know so its a case of letting them inform us ..no interview no charges ..in this case i applaud them for letting him open his huge red mouth.it wasnt forced out of him.he wasnt waterboarded he couldnt help it ..look at me everyone arnt i a rebel (without a decent cause)

• Like 2

It's obvious that you have not seen the video. Its not a question of "freedom of speech". It was not just a comment that could be considered offensive, but a direct and clear threat to overthrown the head of state, accusing him of the troubles of the country, and a call to start a civil war. He even offered himself to shoot the first bullet.

That would be immediate cause for an arrest in any country, regardless of the level of freedom of speech.

Can I pick up the shell casing.?

Isn't the point of the 2nd amendment in the US constitution supposed to be for just that?

Isn't the point of the 2nd amendment in the US constitution supposed to be for just that?

For what? For shooting the first bullet of a Civil War?

;-)

Right to the point!

The problem of this forum is that there are so many strange and unthinkable posts (which are actually meant seriously) that it is almost impossible to use sarcasm or irony without clearly marking it as such.

• Like 1

Sorry but I have to disagree. Much as I abhor many radical stances and groups, they have the freedom to denounce the President of the U.S., call for the overthrow of the government, etc. that is protected speech in the U.S. The critical point would be directly threatening to do harm to the President ( or any individual for that matter), or physically taking up arms to overthrow the government. There is quite a difference, " lese majesty" could not float in the U.S. Hmmm, I know it might be impractical but why not move any bringing of charges under the royal household. Only the ruler being able to make the charge? My thought would be to remove these charges from such widespread use in Thai politics.

• Like 1

Admittedly...bad mouthing the King is bad form...but...It seems to me...that being a democracy...one would do away with archaic laws which take away the rights of citizens to exercise free speech...could this crackdown on Ko Tee...be politically motivated?