We must stop using Songkran as an excuse

webfact

No traffic education in the schools.

The driving test is a complete joke.

The police is only interested in tea-money.

The technical vehicle tests are laughable.

The general population has a total lack of respect for any rules and for each other.

I cannot drive for more than a minute without meeting a car or a motorbike driving on the wrong side of the road, let alone all the other craziness that I see all the time on the roads.

It actually surprises me that there are not more accidents.

Yes, drunk driving is a serious problem in Thailand but it is only part of the problem.

• Like 1

Yes this is a good article, possibly written by farang, its when the thai's recognise the problem ,write about it and therefore get it out to the greater public., then !

Forums like this are fine for us to read what another farang has written , but 99 % of the time its going nowhere other than here., its a place to let off steam, unless ofcourse someone can tell me where this blogging has brought about change. I do believe the jet ski scams are still going on in Phuket , Pattaya and the rest, after years of moaning here !

Change was brought about recently in Phuket, not because of t v f, but because, any guesses.

Yes the scammers picked on the wrong group, the dive industry and what happened the chief of pol was removed and a new one installed ,, thats action in a positive way.

• Like 1

I don't think tests have much to do with the equation. I've been in a roomful of young Thais, all taking tests for driving license. Thais are rather good at passing tests. Similar to learning English. They can pass the test, somewhat, but how adept are they at speaking the language? You tell me.

Whether or not they know the rules of the road, they've got that basic selfishness to deal with. like; 'me first, and the heck with everyone else.' attitude.

I have a mantra, when I'm driving in Thailand: 'rudeness or ignorance? How much of one, how much the other?' ....or perhaps it's more like a zen koan.

If only the police would be able to stop under-18 driving motorbikes and cars, it would halve (rough estimation) the accidents and deaths.

I watch every schoolday the number of motorbikes, about 25 (small school in a small village). Those 25 motorbikes come to and leave school with students on it in between 12 and 15 years of age, nobody wears a helmet of course.

Police could just stand at the exit and let them pay, (double because no license plus no helmet), do that every day for a week and repeat unexpectedly. That way there would be less youngsters driving and those that drive would wear helmets.

Law enforcement is the way to go, whether it's about age, helmets, drunk, reckless, drugs. A point system that makes them lose their license would be an idea.

If only the police would be able to stop under-18 driving motorbikes and cars, it would halve (rough estimation) the accidents and deaths.

I watch every schoolday the number of motorbikes, about 25 (small school in a small village). Those 25 motorbikes come to and leave school with students on it in between 12 and 15 years of age, nobody wears a helmet of course.

Police could just stand at the exit and let them pay, (double because no license plus no helmet), do that every day for a week and repeat unexpectedly. That way there would be less youngsters driving and those that drive would wear helmets.

Law enforcement is the way to go, whether it's about age, helmets, drunk, reckless, drugs. A point system that makes them lose their license would be an idea.

a lot of them have no licence to loose,especially the kids,confiscating the bike and charging say 2000 baht,to get it back may make a difference.

a lot of them have no licence to loose,especially the kids,confiscating the bike and charging say 2000 baht,to get it back may make a difference.

True, but when they coonfiscate the motorbike, the owner can come to collect it and as the owner allowed kids to drive, the owner could lose points on his driver's license. A good fine (over 1000 baht) would do well in addition.

This article makes good points but their already are laws in place to tackle the violators of these traffic laws. The RTP use these laws to fatten their wallets though. Part of the reason noone cares to wear helmets is that there is only a small fee to pay if you are caught and no records to show you have been caught many times. If they want to get people to follow any law then first the law enforcers need to stop taking payoffs and bribes. Lead by example and set an example for others to follow. Only then will people use their privilege to drive with regard to the laws for it.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I like the phrase you used, "lead by example." I don't know how many times I have seen cops driving their motorcycles down the wrong side of the road, and other unsafe, illegal acts. I think Thailand would benefit from a couple of decades of someone like Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore, who recognized the importance of law and law enforcement. Until this country gets serious about genuine enforcement, the death and disability will continue.

This article makes good points but their already are laws in place to tackle the violators of these traffic laws. The RTP use these laws to fatten their wallets though. Part of the reason noone cares to wear helmets is that there is only a small fee to pay if you are caught and no records to show you have been caught many times. If they want to get people to follow any law then first the law enforcers need to stop taking payoffs and bribes. Lead by example and set an example for others to follow. Only then will people use their privilege to drive with regard to the laws for it.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I like the phrase you used, "lead by example." I don't know how many times I have seen cops driving their motorcycles down the wrong side of the road, and other unsafe, illegal acts. I think Thailand would benefit from a couple of decades of someone like Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore, who recognized the importance of law and law enforcement. Until this country gets serious about genuine enforcement, the death and disability will continue.

True, but when they coonfiscate the motorbike, the owner can come to collect it and as the owner allowed kids to drive, the owner could lose points on his driver's license. A good fine (over 1000 baht) would do well in addition.

Aside from anything else, they are ALL uninsured. Even if they survive the fall, they aren't covered for accidents. So forget licences and the such.

Fine the owner of the bike 10k for no insurance. Last time I looked, u can't insure a 12 year old to ride the bike. Job done.

"But the battle for safer roads must be waged collectively, by government, the law and the public."

Pretty much sums up things......nothing will change much with a ...1. Usless and careless Government.....2. Useless police force and 3. The public are pathetic and again, careless.

How about people take responsibility for their is lives and loved ones?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One good way maybe is to have a complete alcohol ban during Songkran impose stiff penalties with incentives for the police and army to enforce it. Also shorten the Songkran holidays to one day. *thais have too much holidays anyway......totally unproductive country!) . And also increase the taxes on alcohol even more. Impose a new driving license criteria and also more stringent checks on drivers of buses and commercial vans etc. As for the motorbikes, we all know that the various Japanese companies are paying huge amounts of under table monies to the authorities....its about time to increase the taxes on motorbikes by about 500% so as to limit the number fo bikes on the roads....there is already too much on the roads and most iof these drivers are uneducated and mentally underdeveloped and lack safety driving skills, clean up the roads I say. And street kids driving bikes illegally or cuaght racing, lock them up for a longer time and impose penaties like community services aftre serving a long prison time plus confistication of their bikes which can be auctioned off to raise funds for community projects.

Try these things if not do not waste time and monies for stupid campaigns.

clean up the roads I say!

AryanicAristocrat for Mayor!

Edited by djhotsox

One good way maybe is to have a complete alcohol ban during Songkran impose stiff penalties with incentives for the police and army to enforce it. Also shorten the Songkran holidays to one day. *thais have too much holidays anyway......totally unproductive country!) . And also increase the taxes on alcohol even more. Impose a new driving license criteria and also more stringent checks on drivers of buses and commercial vans etc. As for the motorbikes, we all know that the various Japanese companies are paying huge amounts of under table monies to the authorities....its about time to increase the taxes on motorbikes by about 500% so as to limit the number fo bikes on the roads....there is already too much on the roads and most iof these drivers are uneducated and mentally underdeveloped and lack safety driving skills, clean up the roads I say. And street kids driving bikes illegally or cuaght racing, lock them up for a longer time and impose penaties like community services aftre serving a long prison time plus confistication of their bikes which can be auctioned off to raise funds for community projects.

Assuming that is not a p1ss take. (I find it hard to read it otherwise.)

You really don't have a clue do you? As for describing local people as uneducated and mentally underdeveloped I suggest you return to your tutonic Aryan aristocratic wonderland sooner rather than later.

Edited by metisdead, 28 minutes ago.

15) Do not make changes to quoted material that changes the intended meaning of the quoted post

In what way did I make changes? I merely highlighted in bold the more idiotic parts of our Aryan Aristocrat friends post. ???

Let's reiterate: the roads have little to do with it. Stupidity is 99% of the problem.

An added, but unmentioned issue, is the carrying by pickups of 'passengers' in their cargo beds. If the wearing of safety belts were mandatory, then by default, people riding in the back of a pickup would be breaking the law. That said, some other forms of transport would need to adapt.

The motorcycle-related deaths are, without doubt, exacerbated by the Thais' predilection for riding three, four, or even five up, including babes-in-arms. Helmets only help if they fit properly, are actually strapped on ... and are intact. A helmet that has been in a serious accident is next to useless.

And let's be frank: a 10-year driving ban on anyone caught drunk at the wheel would be effective only if it were enforced.

Assuming that is not a p1ss take. (I find it hard to read it otherwise.)

You really don't have a clue do you? As for describing local people as uneducated and mentally underdeveloped I suggest you return to your tutonic Aryan aristocratic wonderland sooner rather than later.

He was referring to motorcyclists. Would you disagree that they often give the impression of being mentally challenged?

Aside from anything else, they are ALL uninsured. Even if they survive the fall, they aren't covered for accidents. So forget licences and the such.

Fine the owner of the bike 10k for no insurance. Last time I looked, u can't insure a 12 year old to ride the bike. Job done.

That is absolutely not true. Most motorbikes have the sticker of the insurance, as police checks on that. Also, you don't insure a driver, you insure the vehicle, so most motorbikes are insured. Whether or not an insurance company pays when an underage driver caused the accident, I don't know. On top the free health care for Thais in a government hospital does not apply in case of an accident, so they have to pay that too.

Again, it is the law enforcement that could change things first and significantly. Then comes traffic education in schools (I proposed it in my village school, you should see them laugh, they find it ridiculous). The mentality will not change, Thais never walk or drive 5m more than necessary, put an obstacle and they go around it, cut off right turns, drive wrong side. The only way to make them learn is in their wallet, but that needs a lot more police manpower and check points. Now, if there is that rare check point, they call each other and take an alternative road.

Same ol, same ol, same ol... Nothing is going to happen, nothing's going to change, None of the people who could effect a change are interested in changing, it might affect how much they can line their pockets & they certainly won't have that...

"Slapping a 10-year driving ban on anyone caught drunk at the wheel would cut the accident rate dramatically."

Doubt that very much as 75% of Thais driving on Koh Samui have NO driving license anyway!

Songkran should be one weekend, water splashing from noon to eight pm at night. With no splashing scooter drivers who are

vulnerable to road accidents. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

It would be like a b'day party with twenty 5 year olds. You put five different colors of candy all over the table, along with brownies and ice cream. ....but you tell them, you can only eat the yellow candy. How effective will that be?

Three things to do:

1. Proper education of all drivers (stop selling driver licenses! and train everybody accordingly)

2. Drastic penalties for drunk driving

3. Strict enforcement of traffic rules

How to do it?

I think we all know....... tongue.png.pagespeed.ce.JwCxzAWj6x.png alt=tongue.png width=20 height=20>

For starters, the elite, and friends of cops and armed forces, wouldn't be penalized, no matter how stringent the laws. I think it needs to come from deeper down. From parents, elder siblings, teachers, public figures, ....showing the youngest Thais what it is to be decent. It's a catch 22, because if the elders are drunkards and cheats, then how are they going to influence their brood to be decent? Kids can easily see through elders who talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. #1 bad influence on at least 2 generations of young Thais: Thaksin. He showed by example that it's fine to lie and cheat. It's also ok to thumb your nose at the legal system.

The result is that Thailand ranks among the top five countries in the world for annual motorcycle-related deaths.

Nicely put, but would be better to say....

Thailand now ranks third in the list of countries having highest road traffic deaths worldwide with 38.1 road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year in 2010.

Only Eritrea and Libya are ahead........disgraceful......come on Thailand surely you can forge ahead of these two 4th World countries!!

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-ranks-worlds-third-highest-road-fatalities/

I don't think tests have much to do with the equation. I've been in a roomful of young Thais, all taking tests for driving license. Thais are rather good at passing tests. Similar to learning English. They can pass the test, somewhat, but how adept are they at speaking the language? You tell me.

Whether or not they know the rules of the road, they've got that basic selfishness to deal with. like; 'me first, and the heck with everyone else.' attitude.

I have a mantra, when I'm driving in Thailand: 'rudeness or ignorance? How much of one, how much the other?' ....or perhaps it's more like a zen koan.

perhaps you should try the mantra of giving the good example...goes much further. after many years of research i found out that it's not selfishness of drivers but pure unawareness....or ignorance. call it what you want. but there is only one way to deal with driving here, if you are one of those obsessed farang drivers who wants to teach bad drivers to be better drivers; stop trying to win on the road by being nasty too but always drive as a perfect gentleman and show people the right way...that's the only way brother...and I'm starting tomorrow morning. it's time to stop fighting. love is the only way forward. bless wai.gif