Retirement extension money seasoning question

Last year I changed from extension of stay based upon investment to that based upon retirement. I used money in a fixed deposit account to meet the financial requirements.

This fixed deposit account has now matured and the money automatically moved to a savings account.

When I come to extend this year the money won't have been in the savings account for the requisite 90 days. My questions are:

(1) Does the money have to be in a single account for the whole 90 days?

(2) If I'm OK, what documents do I need to produce? Both passbooks + copies, a letter from the bank confirming my savings account balance. Anything else (e.g. a letter from the bank concerning the fixed deposit)?

Thanks.

1. Yes

But you should check with your local immigration office to see if they will accept it just being moved form one account to another.

2. Passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp, extension of stay stamp and TM6 departure card. Some offices will want proof of residence also.

A letter from bank confirming your balance and copies of bank book(s) to confirm money has been bank for 3 months.

"If you have a small income you can use the combination of early income and money in the bank. In that case at most offices the money does not to have been seasoned."

But will also require a letter from your embassy.

• Like 1

No pension yet.

If Chaengwattana doesn't like that the money was transferred, it looks like I'm going to have to leave the country, reenter on a tourist visa, wait for the money to season, then extend based upon retirement. Tarnation!

I am astonished, that the money has effectively been "moved" automatically (?) after seasoning.

My fixed deposit simply continued as a normal-rate savings account under the same number/book.

(Bangkok Bank, Fixed Deposit Account)

I used that in Khon Kaen with no probs.

Edited by KhunBENQ

No pension yet.

If Chaengwattana doesn't like that the money was transferred, it looks like I'm going to have to leave the country, reenter on a tourist visa, wait for the money to season, then extend based upon retirement. Tarnation!

You won't be going Cheang Wattana for your extension anytime soon because it is still closed you will have to go to one of the two temporary offices.

Why would you get a tourist visa. You can get a single entry non-o visa at any of the nearby embassies or consulates.

• Like 1

I am astonished, that the money has effectively been "moved" automatically (?) after seasoning.

My fixed deposit simply continued as a normal-rate savings account under the same number/book.

Krung Thai does this. It's because of a previous automatic move that Immigration cancelled my Investment visa, even though I reinvested in a new fixed deposit the very same day (and had done so on several occasions previously and had no problems extending my stay).

Why would you get a tourist visa. You can get a single entry non-o visa at any of the nearby embassies or consulates.

You have to be married for a type O. (I'm not.)

You don't have to be married to get a single entry non-o. People get them all the time for being 50 or over.

All you need in Vientiane is your passport to prove your age.

You don't have to be married to get a single entry non-o. People get them all the time for being 50 or over.

That's good to know - though it does appear to be against the official rules.

And I now realise that getting a tourist visa isn't going to do me any good since it's not a non-Imm visa and so can't be extended on basis of retirement.

It is not against any rule to get a non- o visa for being 50 or over for retirement.

From:http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

It is not against any rule to get a non- o visa for being 50 or over for retirement.

From:http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

I was perhaps misled because it states under "Documents Required"

- Birth Certificate ("O")

- Certifcate of Marriage or its equivalents ("O")

Another source (http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/ - which I know isn't an official government site) suggested the requirements are even more draconian, including police clearance, medical certificate plus the "money in a bank account for 3 months".

Anyway, you're the expert (and I'm just someone panicking at the moment). If my extension in Bangkok is rejected I'll try for a non-O in Vientiane with just my passport and the appropriate forms.

A couple of supplementary questions:

(1) Do you think I should use an agent in Vientiane? Would that increase the likelihood of approval?

(2) I happen to have a trip to Sri Lanka scheduled. Would I be able to do the same sort of application in Colombo?

Anyway, thanks for the response and reassurance. I'm much happier now than I was an hour ago when I thought I'd have to return to my home country and apply for an O-A.

Had a fixed term account & it wasn't taken into account (Immi, Chang Wattana) the 3 months was only for funds held in Savings a/c. That was 2 years ago,don't think it's changed since then,as now use income letter & stat dec from Embassy.

Also, from January 2014, the tourist visa has been changed to only 2 months, not 3 as previously.

That's good to know - though it does appear to be against the official rules.

And I now realise that getting a tourist visa isn't going to do me any good since it's not a non-Imm visa and so can't be extended on basis of retirement.

"And I now realise that getting a tourist visa isn't going to do me any good since it's not a non-Imm visa and so can't be extended on basis of retirement."

You're not extending a visa, you would be getting an extension of stay.

Most people who end up getting an extension of stay based on retirement start out with a non-imm O (and some with a non-imm O-A). No need to be married. However you may enter the country you could even convert to a non-imm O entry stamp at Immigrations in Bangkok and then apply for the extension of stay after 60 days which will also allow time for your money in the bank to season.

... but as someone else has suggested, talk to someone at your Immigrations office. Show them documentation to confirm what happened with the money and ask for their assistance. Not all Immigrations officers fit the uncooperative image portrayed here at TV. Many are helpful and might even agree to accept your application based the explanation you give.

Edited by Suradit69

Don't know what bank the OP has, but that is how the Green Bank does it. You have one bank book with one entry for the fixed deposit account for a fixed time limit. When it matures they move it into your savings account (different book) which you had to open to get the fixed account. It's a ridiculous procedure, but TIT.

Hi All, sorry if I appear to be hijacking here. I pop in every so often to have a read about what's happening etc. but just read and hardly ever post because I'm still learning.

I am intending to come and live in Hua Hin Sept/Oct this year and after reading many, many posts on visas' and income and seasoned money I'm afraid I have become a little (I really mean a lot) confused.

Is there a definative Jack and Jill type list of what I need to get and do. I am currently living in Cyprus but leaving here end of June and will be coming from UK where I will be making all my arrangements.

One important thing I would like to know is:- I am hoping to do retirement on income, I do receive more than the required 800.000THB how do I provide proof? is it through bank statements? Do I take them to an embassy for verification?, Is it a UK embassy in UK or a UK embassy in Thailand?

As you can see a Jack and Jill listing that I can print out would be a big asset to me ;-)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi All, sorry if I appear to be hijacking here. I pop in every so often to have a read about what's happening etc. but just read and hardly ever post because I'm still learning.

I am intending to come and live in Hua Hin Sept/Oct this year and after reading many, many posts on visas' and income and seasoned money I'm afraid I have become a little (I really mean a lot) confused.

Is there a definative Jack and Jill type list of what I need to get and do. I am currently living in Cyprus but leaving here end of June and will be coming from UK where I will be making all my arrangements.

One important thing I would like to know is:- I am hoping to do retirement on income, I do receive more than the required 800.000THB how do I provide proof? is it through bank statements? Do I take them to an embassy for verification?, Is it a UK embassy in UK or a UK embassy in Thailand?

As you can see a Jack and Jill listing that I can print out would be a big asset to me ;-)

An income verification letter is obtained from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

You will need evidence of income and its source.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thank you thepool. Do they accept UK bank statements as evidence and source ?

I believe so IF they are original documents.

My person experience would suggest they prefer original source documentation such as annual statements from pension providers etc.

I assume from that then they won't accept my printouts of online statements. I bank with in UK with First Direct which is an online bank. Also assuming here that the requirement would be for 12 months worth of statements.

Hi Peter, I have the FD account from when I lived in UK, my pensions still get paid into it and I transfer euros here to Cyprus as required. I only have my credit card statement delivered here, I just access the rest online. I am hoping that I can continue to do that.

If I have to supply 12 months original statements that could be quite expensive. If they will accept computer printouts it is not an issue as they are all online.

I assume from that then they won't accept my printouts of online statements. I bank with in UK with First Direct which is an online bank. Also assuming here that the requirement would be for 12 months worth of statements.

It is the Embassy staff who determine what is acceptable based, I suppose, on guidelines.

Best you contact the Embassy directly with the query.

edit

NB

The problem with "print outs" is that they are easily manipulated/altered

Edited by thepool

Hi Peter, I have the FD account from when I lived in UK, my pensions still get paid into it and I transfer euros here to Cyprus as required. I only have my credit card statement delivered here, I just access the rest online. I am hoping that I can continue to do that.

If I have to supply 12 months original statements that could be quite expensive. If they will accept computer printouts it is not an issue as they are all online.

I thought that might be the case but dwell on the 'legality' of it from a UK tax liability point of view. Anyway I'm drifting the thread so, back to the OP.

It is the Embassy staff who determine what is acceptable based, I suppose, on guidelines.

Best you contact the Embassy directly with the query.

edit

NB

The problem with "print outs" is that they are easily manipulated/altered