Re-entry Permits

Forgive my ignorance, I have always taken a day trip over to Samui in order to get a re-entry permit (on a one-year extension). I have seen references to getting them at the airport in Bangkok. Have I really been spending all these years wasting my time running to Samui for a re-entry permit? Can I get one at the airport? Where?

Why not get at the same time you extend your visa each year? That is what most do. I am always too nervous at airport doing everything else to worry about getting a re-entry permit in Terminal 1 after check in Terminal 2 and then return/clear immigration and run to plane. And with my luck there would be a line waiting at the permit counter and I would worry about missing flight. Have enough trouble remembering which pocket my passport is in.

But I guess people do it without a problem so guess it is just me. :o

Lop, glad to hear I am not the only nervous nelly traveller! I am (sad to say) a planner. Like everything tidied up and planned in advance. Sad but true. :o

George, do you mean get the multi entry kind of extension or get the actual re-entry permit when I get my extension? Mainly I wait 'cause I am kee neeo! What if I don't use it after all? Then I have wasted my money! :D

Its always good to know ones own strengths and weaknesses :D

George, do you mean get the multi entry kind of extension or get the actual re-entry permit when I get my extension?
it takes two different stamps for your "multi entry kind of extension"

the blue ink one year extension from thai immigration and the black/red ink multi entry re entry permit from an immigration office or the airport

Mainly I wait 'cause I am kee neeo! What if I don't use it after all? Then I have wasted my money!

then get a single entry re entry for this trip at the airport.

sbk, I understand your worries, tidied up and planned in advance. I try to do the same. OK, it never works for me as there are always changes.

Still I recommend for you to get a multiple re-entry once your visa is extented/ By now expensive at 3800 Baht (I believe) What I mean is, your visa is clear, your re-entry permit allows you to travel without worries.

And should you not have used it after 6 months (the re-entry I mean) tell your husband to go somewhere. Just before it expires, tell him to go somewhere again.

Otherwise the fee for multiple would be wasted. He will understand.

BTW, the airport thing is something I do not trust. I want to have the right chops in my P/port and than no need to worry, if an emergency comes up.

Lop, glad to hear I am not the only nervous nelly traveller! I am (sad to say) a planner. Like everything tidied up and planned in advance. Sad but true. :o

George, do you mean get the multi entry kind of extension or get the actual re-entry permit when I get my extension? Mainly I wait 'cause I am kee neeo! What if I don't use it after all? Then I have wasted my money! :D

Its always good to know ones own strengths and weaknesses :D

Hi sbk you can get re-entry when you do the extension, and as you tipped, if you don't use it/them you blew the money ( but you were totally prepared :D )