Thailand's general election set for July 20 or 27

webfact

PTP will win by a large margin but not because of vote buying, it will be because the opposition are such pathetic failures that have been subverting democracy for the last few months that no body in their right minds would want to vote for them.

I'm sure they will win the largest number of seats (though not a majority of votes), though not for any of the reasons you outline. They should form the next govt but if they continue to govern as the lords and ladies of misrule, then this whole mess will start again. To avoid this they need to introduce policies that are economically viable, stop using their street thugs to intimidate opponents and the judiciary, rule in a consensual manner, abandon all ideas of a blanket amnesty, obey the law, crack down on corruption, pay their bills and most of all accept the idea that being in power does not mean you can act with impunity, the guilty must go to gaol.

After the jury's have done their job and banned most wrong doers IN MY OPINION come July others/new parties will emerge, None of this past lot will not get much of a look in, Issan the vote winner in the past will be more divided so few of Moonao's party will be in the lime light.

Admitted there will always be some strongholds but not a blanket Issan red vote as before.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hopefully they even get a change to vote, and dont get blocked by fascist yellow shirt thugs this time.

I don't think PAD are active any longer.

Bluespunk, I think colours have merged more near only reds are alone, Why Moonao calls everyone fascists that are not red. He has a problem sure.

• Like 1

Okay that means, Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts... Amnesty bill alive again, and another 4 years of Thaksinocracy...

Thank you EC, for putting up such a cowardice exit to save your sorry face out of it

"Okay that means, Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts... Amnesty bill alive again, and another 4 years of Thaksinocracy..."

If that is what the voters want.

If the PAD-Dem's have a problem with that, convince the voters otherwise.

PTP will win by a large margin but not because of vote buying, it will be because the opposition are such pathetic failures that have been subverting democracy for the last few months that no body in their right minds would want to vote for them.

I'm sure they will win the largest number of seats (though not a majority of votes), though not for any of the reasons you outline. They should form the next govt but if they continue to govern as the lords and ladies of misrule, then this whole mess will start again. To avoid this they need to introduce policies that are economically viable, stop using their street thugs to intimidate opponents and the judiciary, rule in a consensual manner, abandon all ideas of a blanket amnesty, obey the law, crack down on corruption, pay their bills and most of all accept the idea that being in power does not mean you can act with impunity, the guilty must go to gaol.

After the jury's have done their job and banned most wrong doers IN MY OPINION come July others/new parties will emerge, None of this past lot will not get much of a look in, Issan the vote winner in the past will be more divided so few of Moonao's party will be in the lime light.

Admitted there will always be some strongholds but not a blanket Issan red vote as before.

What I have seen and heard would agree with what you are saying

Even the part about the strongholds - there are a couple of local redshirt leaders who deservedly get a lot of respect and have genuine grass root support.

But there are others whos actions at a local level only add to the sense of betrayal that many Isaan people have about the PTP

The other thing that I am sure of is that very few, if any votes will flow to the Democrats

And who will pay the few billion baht to hold another election that like the previous one, is likely to be annulled by the Election Commission because it could not be completed? Taxpayers in this country will again have their money spent wisely for them....

"....is likely to be annulled by the Election Commission because it could not be completed?"

Or did not have the desired result.

• Like 1

Okay that means, Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts... Amnesty bill alive again, and another 4 years of Thaksinocracy...

Thank you EC, for putting up such a cowardice exit to save your sorry face out of it

"Okay that means, Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts... Amnesty bill alive again, and another 4 years of Thaksinocracy..."

Ok put it to a referendum then amnesty for 25,000 corruption cases,present govts misdeads,Abhisit and Sutheps murder charges or reforms....no party list, no loaded constituencies, one vote one person. Nah you don't want that do you?

What an appropriate picture for dear old moonao - a salviating dog! My spies tell me not to get too worked up about this announcement as it is more an objective than a reality. If the election is held - which I honestly doubt will be the case given the decisions that will be made over the next two to three weeks - before the reforms are agreed, the outcome of the election will be the same as Feb 2. Sorry to spoil your day moonao but Granpa Suthep just ani't going to let you or PTP rain on his parade!

"Granpa Suthep just ani't going to let you or PTP rain on his parade!

There are increasing indications Grandpa Suthep, his powerful backing, his user-friendly Judiciary and Ind. Org's. are getting wet feet.

They misread the political tea leaves...What was going to be a "Walk in Park (Lumpini in this case)" with respect to a coup, is looking riskier by the day....the rats are leaving the ship in droves.

• Like 1

Don't despair my friend.

"Next week's meeting will decide a suitable date for the general election, though the EC has aimed for July 20 or 27."

Aimed.....nothing final.

Too many things will be happening this and next week, that will settle the date of an election........if there is an election.

Anyway, thought the amnesty bill, could last for 6 months, so middle of May should be void.

May be I'm wrong, please, correct me.

You are right, the bill will be void by then.

Anyway, even if it wasn't voided, there is no way anyone would revive it, look at the mess it has created already over the past few months. I doubt anyone would have the balls to even suggest it.

The country would be in absolute chaos if they revived it and passed the bill.

hopefully they even get a change to vote, and dont get blocked by fascist yellow shirt thugs this time.

Bluespunk, I think colours have merged more near only reds are alone, Why Moonao calls everyone fascists that are not red. He has a problem sure.

When I read Moonao's student like rhetoric I get this image of Rik from the Young Ones. smile.png

• Like 2

What an appropriate picture for dear old moonao - a salviating dog! My spies tell me not to get too worked up about this announcement as it is more an objective than a reality. If the election is held - which I honestly doubt will be the case given the decisions that will be made over the next two to three weeks - before the reforms are agreed, the outcome of the election will be the same as Feb 2. Sorry to spoil your day moonao but Granpa Suthep just ani't going to let you or PTP rain on his parade!

"Granpa Suthep just ani't going to let you or PTP rain on his parade!

There are increasing indications Grandpa Suthep, his powerful backing, his user-friendly Judiciary and Ind. Org's. are getting wet feet.

They misread the political tea leaves...What was going to be a "Walk in Park (Lumpini in this case)" with respect to a coup, is looking riskier by the day....the rats are leaving the ship in droves.

Likewise The super government that thought it could WALK all over the people of Thailand are now queuing up at the courts, they themselves can be put out to pastures green in Lumpini after granddad has gone.

I guess PTP will win again by an even bigger margin, followed by another judicial coup ....

when will this nonsence with the "judicial coup" stop?

Not until an elected government is allowed to finish it's term without being pressured into an early departure.

I guess PTP will win again by an even bigger margin, followed by another judicial coup ....

Not until an elected government is allowed to finish it's term without being pressured into an early departure.

If you caught in the act a man raping a lady would you let him finish his term before doing something about it ????

You speak volumes about non clear thinking. Elected does NEVER give any government power to plunder, because it was elected----crazy thinking.

• Like 1

If you caught in the act a man raping a lady would you let him finish his term before doing something about it ????

You speak volumes about non clear thinking. Elected does NEVER give any government power to plunder, because it was elected----crazy thinking.

No, "crazy thinking" is thinking that talk of judicial coups will end before elected governments are allowed to finish their terms.

On April 23-24, the EC will announce the Senate elelction result of another batch on potential senators. By April 29, 95 percent of the newly-elected senators will have been endorsed by the EC which means that the Senate will be able to call its first meeting to choose its speaker and then to become fully operational.

Why does it take so long to endorse the senators that were elected 2 weeks ago. I assume they were checked if they qualified before the election, and counting can hardly take 1 month.

Maybe too many of the"wrong" people were elected?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

dont start him off again spunkers..he will fuse the electrics salivating over his keyboard w00t.gif ...

In that case, keep on!tongue.png

And who will pay the few billion baht to hold another election that like the previous one, is likely to be annulled by the Election Commission because it could not be completed? Taxpayers in this country will again have their money spent wisely for them....

Who cares. Would you prefer they saved the money and had a dictatorial committee instead.

Nope. All the current problems stem from PT's economic incompetence, their tendency to intimidate opponents and the law and their obsession with the "give thaksin what he wants" amnesty bill. Their refusal to rule for the benefit of Thailand caused the initial protest movement. If they rule in a consensual manner this time round they won't face the same problems again.

Correct. But the Pheu Thai criminals, their UDD thugs and their brain washed Reds cannot get past the next rule of democracy beyond an election being the rule of law. And its pretty pathetic seeing westerners on here calling the rule of law judicial coups when one reviews the wrong doings of Thaksin, his puppets, cronies and lackey's.

The sooner the long foreseen political vacuum arrives the better for Thailand. Hopefully once in that mess then some of the scum can be removed and people from the third of thai's who do not accept corruption can have a greater say in the future of the country, and more so the improvement of the lot of those in the lower social economic bracket and especially for those in Isaan.

Nope. All the current problems stem from PT's economic incompetence, their tendency to intimidate opponents and the law and their obsession with the "give thaksin what he wants" amnesty bill. Their refusal to rule for the benefit of Thailand caused the initial protest movement. If they rule in a consensual manner this time round they won't face the same problems again.

Correct. But the Pheu Thai criminals, their UDD thugs and their brain washed Reds cannot get past the next rule of democracy beyond an election being the rule of law. And its pretty pathetic seeing westerners on here calling the rule of law judicial coups when one reviews the wrong doings of Thaksin, his puppets, cronies and lackey's.

The sooner the long foreseen political vacuum arrives the better for Thailand. Hopefully once in that mess then some of the scum can be removed and people from the third of thai's who do not accept corruption can have a greater say in the future of the country, and more so the improvement of the lot of those in the lower social economic bracket and especially for those in Isaan.

I take it you're advocating putting democracy on hold for a while and let the "right" people run the country until corruption is eliminated, or at least greatly reduced. However until I see a detailed and credible plan from these people for eliminating corruption I think Thailand should limp along with flawed democracy. Eventually corruption will become a major campaign issue and progress can be made against it.

Remember the military, the organization with the guns and a history of staging coups, is one of the most (possibly the most) corrupt organizations in the country. A popular democracy might be able to slowly clean it up, but an unelected autocracy wouldn't dare do anything to piss them off. That's why I think Suthep's anti-corruption rhetoric is nothing but hot air.

• Like 1

" Set " apparently means " tentative ". The EC is contemplating a timeline that would have a new administration in by October. But they seem to have just made this announcement on their own bat, as it's clear they still haven't actually met with Pheu Thai yet. It's hard to imagine that two months has past since the election and they're still not face to face. It's basically where we were before, with the same unanswered questions. Will there be elections in all constituencies necessary for a quorum ? How can they guarantee that ? There is so much strangeness to this. The EC is convening a meeting of parties on April 22 but they have yet to meet with Pheu Thai separately. The Senate will be apparently ready by April 29, but then again, Yingluck has resisted opening it, and we have no idea what that will lead to, though a ruling by the Constitutional Court would be the likely outcome. Yingluck is due to defend herself Friday at the Constitutional Court. Will she show up, and if so will she actually answer questions from the judges ? And then there is the key question as to how Pheu Thai will react to the ruling by the Constitutional Court. This optimistic announcement addresses none of these key questions. It seems to occupy its own special place in the universe.

The next election is actively and publicly being scheduled - very publicly. That's because Thailand knows it cannot afford for a second election to fail.

To this point in the thread Somchai has made three announcements of a coming general election to include an either or date. The EC is projecting a seated parliament in September and a new government in October. Investors globally are perking up, as are governments in Tokyo, Washington, London, Asean capitals, Beijing, New Delhi, Canberra and at the UN itself etc etc.

PTP haters are posting to this thread the fix is in. My Thai associates and friends say yes, it is. I expect Abhisit to come rushing through the door shortly to sign on, and that amnesty will get a concomitantly quiet and lonely burial.

No, it won't be a cakewalk with a chorus of harps strumming and virgins singing, but the elites are quietly coming to terms with the reality that 2014 can't be 2010 times 100 and that red villages up north need to be connected to Bangkok. In Thailand the saying that to the victor go the spoils means everyone at the top gets a badge with the name Victor on it.

So what else is new?

Everyone found out these recent months the days of the coup are forever past.

The PDRC and their People's Council are unacceptable to Thais.

Suthep was never the guy to lead but once the Ultraman went over the top with his Robespierre declaration that he himself is the sovereignty of the people the ammart bailed on him. Someone posted cleverly that this time next year Suthep will still be at the park declaring to the pigeons he is the sovereignty of the people, but it now looks more a matter of months.

Reforms and the processes to determine them will be inclusive, which means substantive but not too sweeping or radical.

The Thai elites have decided to stay with elections and are moving towards setting a date for a general election. The elites know Thailand cannot afford to have a second election fail.

Which means you've got to get some new lines, even if you have to scamper to do it.

Yes, continued turmoil lies ahead in the coming days and weeks. You'll likely get your wish that Yingluck be relieved, and Yingluck will be relieved to at last be relieved. The key giveaway to all of this however will be if we see Surapong smile, even if only once.

• Like 1

On April 23-24, the EC will announce the Senate elelction result of another batch on potential senators. By April 29, 95 percent of the newly-elected senators will have been endorsed by the EC which means that the Senate will be able to call its first meeting to choose its speaker and then to become fully operational.

Why does it take so long to endorse the senators that were elected 2 weeks ago. I assume they were checked if they qualified before the election, and counting can hardly take 1 month.

After the Senate election there were a number of complaints about candidates (elected and non-elected). The EC has to investigate and rule about each complaint before they endorse that elected candidate. I think that complaints may be handled by local EC offices. They also said previously that if the complaints aren't handled within the 30 day time frame that the candidate would be endorsed anyway, and if necessary removed later. So, it's more than just counting.

• Like 1

Interesting point. As the majority voted against PT then clearly they did not want these policies. The majority of voters did not vote for PT so it could be said that none of their policies were accepted by the voters. However that is the way of all govts.

So what is the solution?

Maybe policies such as the "give thaksin whatever he wants' amnesty bill should be put to a referendum?

Maybe a govt should rule in a legal manner and accept court judgements that rule against them?

Maybe, and this could be a winner, a party accepts that ruling as a govt entails ruling for the good of all and not just a privileged few?

Maybe a party in power should follow parliamentary and democratic procedures and not abuse the system to bully through clearly ill thought out policies?

Maybe pt should accept that governing is a duty not an excuse to do whatever you want.

So you would rather have the SUPREME LEADER SUTHEP instead of a democraticaly elected government?

Interesting point. As the majority voted against PT then clearly they did not want these policies. The majority of voters did not vote for PT so it could be said that none of their policies were accepted by the voters. However that is the way of all govts.

So what is the solution?

Maybe policies such as the "give thaksin whatever he wants' amnesty bill should be put to a referendum?

Maybe a govt should rule in a legal manner and accept court judgements that rule against them?

Maybe, and this could be a winner, a party accepts that ruling as a govt entails ruling for the good of all and not just a privileged few?

Maybe a party in power should follow parliamentary and democratic procedures and not abuse the system to bully through clearly ill thought out policies?

Maybe pt should accept that governing is a duty not an excuse to do whatever you want.

This would work except for the fact that certain parties would not like that. Namely suthep and his thugs and the dems.

What is it with you people? You want an election and you dont want it. The only way YOU want it is if the dems and / or suthep are in???? I guess you (none) of you like a democraticaly ellected government. If you want to go back to 1991 then maybe you should go to NK.

Not unless they get their little paws on some cash - must pay the farmers and splash plenty of extra around to sweeten the bad feelings. Or that margin is going to be very very close.

Thais are fed up with the constant lies, broken promises and open cheating from PTP. Unfortunately, there isn't a much better alternative.

What is it with you people? You want an election and you dont want it. The only way YOU want it is if the dems and / or suthep are in???? I guess you (none) of you like a democraticaly ellected government. If you want to go back to 1991 then maybe you should go to NK.

Stop posting drivel - you repeat this type of slur against people regularly on different threads,

Almost all posters on here, whoever they lean towards, favor and support a democracy. Most however, do not support a democratically elected government that lies (repeatedly), acts illegally, cheats in parliament (then lies about it), tries to pass laws that favor its dominant family, practices nepotism and cronyism, tries to restrict free speech, uses intimidation through threat of legal and violent actions, and is openly under the control of a convicted criminal fugitive who makes all their decisions. Is it any surprise billions of baht can't be accounted for whilst those in power have seen their personal wealth grow substantially?

Or do you think a government that is democratically elected can do anything it pleases? If so, the you would indeed have been welcome in the old Warsaw Pact people's democracies, or NK today. The NK leader got 100% vote from 100% turnout - wow, how democratic is that! Even better than PTP's landslide electoral majority (largest minority vote in reality) that is so often trotted out on here by the PTP propagandists.