Thai Army dismisses coup rumor

webfact

Army dismisses coup rumor

winthai-4-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Army reiterates its stance to take care of the people, safeguard security at protest sites and guarding the border, with no thought whatsoever to stage a coup.

Army deputy spokesman Col Winthai Suwari affirmed the Army chief’s stance following rumor shared widely on the social media that the Army will stage a military coup on April 19 at 04.00 a.m.

He said it was just another rumor like what was spread in the past.

Instead, the Army will continue to perform its duty as usual to take care of the people affected by natural disasters, to safeguard security at protest sites, keep watch on illicit border activities, and smuggling.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-dismisses-coup-rumor/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-16

Army dismisses coup speculation

BANGKOK: -- Army deputy spokesman Col Winthai Suwaree Wednesday dismissed widespread speculation that a coup would happen on Saturday.

Winthai said the speculation was just a rumor spread via social media networks.

He said the Army would still focus on helping the people.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-16

Just get it over with already and coup if you must. Not having a full government for the past half year already shows that Thailand can operate without these bickering fools.

Coup or no coup, just end this Thai checkers game. I didn't say chess game because it requires more brains and strategy.

• Like 1

Just get it over with already and coup if you must. Not having a full government for the past half year already shows that Thailand can operate without these bickering fools.

Coup or no coup, just end this Thai checkers game. I didn't say chess game because it requires more brains and strategy.

true just shows you this country can run ok with just the civil service no crappy thieves needed sir..wai2.gif

• Like 2

translation: we would love to but we don't have enough support within to pull it off. instead, and behind the scenes, we will put our weight behind a judicial coup. for the people of course *cough cough*

"...we don't have enough support within to pull it off"

Also, could it be they are afraid?.......There is a lot of posturing going on amongst the various elements of these 'coup advocates"........ Including this military, pretending they are engaged in security stuff, when in fact they are active participants........The anti-coup people claim that besides mainly southerners, Lumpini is a military thing.

All this posturing and noise does not seem to be translating into action......Before 2006, they would already have pulled the coup-trigger.......now there seems to be fearful and worried discussions going on I think......worried about going back, but fearful to move forward.

Smart people........They have every reason to be fearful and worried......Ya don't throw Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy overboard, and set up a "civilian Dictatorship' every day...Especially up against an electoral majority.........advancing the interests of a political minority is not without risk.

Their notions of smoke and subtlety using their user-friendly judiciary and Ind. Org's is also 'plain as the nose on their face'....No amount of characterizing those who see through this facade and resist it, as being unlawful, holds any water when an entire electoral majority is doing it.....It is one thing to accuse a limited number for not buying into the attempt to normalize the abnormal, but when it is millions....A problem.

Poor babies!

Surely that urinates on your 5 month coup parade?

You must now be a busted flush.

Still, the army has only said it a million times so you will probably persist with your pigeon crusade

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

translation: we would love to but we don't have enough support within to pull it off. instead, and behind the scenes, we will put our weight behind a judicial coup. for the people of course *cough cough*

"...we don't have enough support within to pull it off"

Also, could it be they are afraid?.......There is a lot of posturing going on amongst the various elements of these 'coup advocates"........ Including this military, pretending they are engaged in security stuff, when in fact they are active participants........The anti-coup people claim that besides mainly southerners, Lumpini is a military thing.

All this posturing and noise does not seem to be translating into action......Before 2006, they would already have pulled the coup-trigger.......now there seems to be fearful and worried discussions going on I think......worried about going back, but fearful to move forward.

Smart people........They have every reason to be fearful and worried......Ya don't throw Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy overboard, and set up a "civilian Dictatorship' every day...Especially up against an electoral majority.........advancing the interests of a political minority is not without risk.

Their notions of smoke and subtlety using their user-friendly judiciary and Ind. Org's is also 'plain as the nose on their face'....No amount of characterizing those who see through this facade and resist it, as being unlawful, holds any water when an entire electoral majority is doing it.....It is one thing to accuse a limited number for not buying into the attempt to normalize the abnormal, but when it is millions....A problem.

Poor babies!

"ya don't throw Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy overboard" I am afraid that's just what the PTP have done,isnt it parliamentary procedure for the Senate to convene and why is PTP blocking the Senate from convening? Ohh that's right it will affect them in the upcoming impeachment cases.

The PTP have thrown every parliamentary recourse out the window, with a brush off, a deny and a lie. Unfortunatley it has come to this from their own arrogance and ignorance of the laws that guide the Parliament to satisfaction of all Thais.

"The PTP have thrown every parliamentary recourse out the window, with a brush off, a deny and a lie"

Yeah, those who sympathize with the anti-democratic side of things, accept Opposition noise described in above quote, as gospel........Many people accept as truth, each and every opposition challenge and accusation levelled at the Govt.

Good thing for Thailand, the Electoral Majority is not that easily swayed.

Edited by Fryslan boppe
  • Like 2

Don't be afraid M and FB, it will turn out OK in the end, your police seem not worried at the minute, in fact they will not be around if there is trouble, hence the reason the army is HAVING to play a double roll.

You have a vast police force in this country but heavy tasks are not their thing, collecting money is their job-----but some police are good --few and far between though.---Judicial Coup--is that all you can come up with to defend the outlaws. If you two were called up for jury service I would hate to be stood in the dock--you couldn't be impartial if you tried.

"you couldn't be impartial if you tried"

Correct...When it comes to substituting Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy with a Civilian Dictatorship....Yup, I'm not impartial..........Are you?

All of this of course, predicated on the fact us Farangs are inconsequential with respect to Thai politics.....but opinionated nevertheless.

• Like 1

NO COUP because a coup is what Thaksin needs at this moment, and they are not going to please him and his lawyer.

A coup followed by havoc, violence, and fire caused by the red-shirt militia is the only possibility for the Prince of Darkness to come back to Thailand, in the middle of the confusion created by the smoke and ashes. His lobbyist (and FB) would make sure that he is been seen as the "saviour" of the country when he returns.

You are right. Thaksin would love a coup so he can tell the whole world how badly he has been treated.

The army is quite right not to stage a coup right now. A coup would also nullify all the court cases that are in progress.

• Like 2

"Ya think? Seems to me the Majority are seeing thru the lies and deceit of the caretakers Govt's. behavior so far" (Post #17 above)

An election would affirm that....or otherwise....Right?

The PAD-dem's seem to have no confidence about the claim in this quote, considering their obstruction of the last election, and the next one.

Nothing like an election to sort this out.

• Like 2

Don't be afraid M and FB, it will turn out OK in the end, your police seem not worried at the minute, in fact they will not be around if there is trouble, hence the reason the army is HAVING to play a double roll.

You have a vast police force in this country but heavy tasks are not their thing, collecting money is their job-----but some police are good --few and far between though.---Judicial Coup--is that all you can come up with to defend the outlaws. If you two were called up for jury service I would hate to be stood in the dock--you couldn't be impartial if you tried.

"you couldn't be impartial if you tried"

Correct...When it comes to substituting Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy with a Civilian Dictatorship....Yup, I'm not impartial..........Are you?

All of this of course, predicated on the fact us Farangs are inconsequential with respect to Thai politics.....but opinionated nevertheless.

To answer you YES I am impartial, just because I argue about bad government does NOT make me a DEM does it--in your mind it does.

If King Kong was in power and did wrong I would voice my dismay. So does that make me a DEM ???

You have never answered questions relevant to bad government actions---always skirted them and blamed anyone that comes to mind.

You would be impartial if you argued about wrong opposition and wrong government. that's impartial.

We all have our thoughts on what is right and wrong BUT we also have a responsibility to PRIORITIZE --and this should start at management level.

About substituting Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy with a Civilian Dictatorship

"To answer you YES I am impartial"

OK, everyone to their own.

NO COUP because a coup is what Thaksin needs at this moment, and they are not going to please him and his lawyer.

A coup followed by havoc, violence, and fire caused by the red-shirt militia is the only possibility for the Prince of Darkness to come back to Thailand, in the middle of the confusion created by the smoke and ashes. His lobbyist (and FB) would make sure that he is been seen as the "saviour" of the country when he returns.

You are right. Thaksin would love a coup so he can tell the whole world how badly he has been treated.

The army is quite right not to stage a coup right now. A coup would also nullify all the court cases that are in progress.

I agree, the only ones persisting in coup mongering are the PTP/UDD/FB,its the only way out for the Shins to save face and squeal " unfair",it wont happen unless the Reds cause mayhem and destruction I am hoping the Majority of the Grass roots supporters will see thru how they have been used and refuse to put their lives on the line for one man,s desire.

• Like 2

Sorry reds you are not going to get the coup you have been pushing so hard for, regardless of getting the word in almost every post and your caretaker spokespeople doing the same with so many of their statements.

Your hero in Dubai is never going to get the opportunity to say he and his proxy govt were disposed by the army , again.

Nor will he have the excuse of a coup to bring out his armed reds to terrorise the country, unless he carries on with the stupidity of calling the legal decisions of the courts as and NAAC a judicial coup.

Which is quite possible for he and his gang have never accepted they are answerable to the law the same as everyone else.

• Like 1

"Ya think? Seems to me the Majority are seeing thru the lies and deceit of the caretakers Govt's. behavior so far" (Post #17 above)

An election would affirm that....or otherwise....Right?

The PAD-dem's seem to have no confidence about the claim in this quote, considering their obstruction of the last election, and the next one.

Nothing like an election to sort this out.

How about a referendum to decide reforms or not? no didn't think so.

"Thailand's armed forces chief on Friday dismissed rumors that the Royal Thai Army has planned a coup d'etat against the government, saying that such an act would not benefit the nation.

Thai Armed Forces Supreme Commander Gen. Ruengroj Mahasaranond said the rumors regarding a military coup which have spread since early this year were groundless, entirely unsubstantiated, and that the media reporting on them has been misled by some ordinary military exercises that gave them the wrong idea.

"Don't listen to those rumors but listen to me," Gen. Ruengroj was quoted by the official Thai News Agency as saying. "The military will not do a coup d'etat because the country will suffer. " July 22 2006

Two months later what happened? There was a coup. The louder that the Thai military denies that is planning a coup the more likely that one is imminent. The Thai army only has itself to blame if it lacks credibility.

Army Dismisses April Coup Rumour
By Khaosod English

13976529401397653046l.jpg
Anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban presents gift to soldiers stationed near Lumpini Park, 16 April 2014

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Army has dismissed the rumour that a military coup will occur on 19 April, insisting that the armed forces are neutral in politics.

"It's just a rumour on the social media, like in the past," said Col. Winthai Suvaree, spokesman of the army.

He also insisted that the military's objective is only to serve the public, safeguard the borders of Thailand, and provide security to all sides amid the ongoing political crisis which has claimed at least 22 lives.

"I beg all brothers and sisters to exercise their judgement when they receive news and information," Col. Winthai told reporters.

His comment came days after Gen. Saiyud Koetpol, former Chief of the Thai Armed Force, suggested that former Prime Minister and Head of the Privy Council, Gen. Prem Tinsulanond, serve as a "mediator" to end the conflict by discussing issues with members of the judiciary, the armed forces, and other prominent factions.

Gen. Saiyud's comment has angered many pro-government activists, who view Gen. Prem as the chief engineer of the 2006 military coup that ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Some Redshirts also accuse Gen. Prem of harbouring a desire to serve as an appointed Prime Minister in the event that PM Yingluck Shinawatra is ousted by a coup.

Speaking at a small Redshirts rally earlier today, Mr. Nattawut Saikuea, a core leader of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), called Gen. Saiyud's effort to encourage Gen. Prem to serve as a mediator a "screening of Jurassic Park".

He added that he hopes no top official will take such a "backward" suggestion seriously.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1397652940&section=11&typecate=05

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-17

Some Redshirts also accuse Gen. Prem of harbouring a desire to serve as an appointed Prime Minister in the event that PM Yingluck Shinawatra is ousted by a coup.

Speaking at a small Redshirts rally earlier today, Mr. Nattawut Saikuea, a core leader of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), called Gen. Saiyud's effort to encourage Gen. Prem to serve as a mediator a "screening of Jurassic Park".

He added that he hopes no top official will take such a "backward" suggestion seriously.

Somehow I suspect that nobody has yet asked Khun Nattawut to take-on the role ? rolleyes.gif

But why does he seem to fear the appointment of a senior official as a mediator, to help find a way out of the mess, making it clear that such a thing would be "a backward suggestion" ? wink.png

Does he perhaps know of some wily wriggly dinosaur of a politician, perhaps someone whose minor party been in the past several governments, who might be tempted, if approached ?

Hint, I suspect that I might know who he is but won't reveal his name, perhaps I shall merely refer to him as 'Mr B' ? whistling.gif

Edited by Ricardo

So here's a wanted criminal, who's tried to shut down the country's capital city for months, who refuses to hand himself over to authorities, shaking hands with and giving/recieving a gift with a high level member of the armed forces.

What a joke of the country.

• Like 2

The government cannot function without a government. Major financial activities such as paying farmers, setting social policy, funding infrastructure, entering into trade or diplomatic agreements cannot be undertaken without the MPS available to vote on the issues. The Ec has refused to allow the government to engage in any activity outside of the bare necessities of maintaining skeleton service.