Thailand charges reporters over Pulitzer-winning article

webfact

I don't see much difference.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Massive difference depending on jurisdiction.

They are charged with computer crimes anyway. If they had registered the website outside Thailand, this would never have happened. But anyway, if I sit in Thailand and read it on someone else's website, why aren't they guilt also.

Why isn't Reuters guilty? I hope the judge sees sense and tosses this case into the sea.

If I put the link up on my Facebook am I guilty? Its all stupid legal nonsense to cover their backside instead of disproving the allegation.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wondering, Yingluk was globetrotting around the world rubbing shoulders with diplomats and preaching on about Thailands Freedoms and freedom of speech. Now we have Yingluk who I also believe is not just the P.M but also the Defence Minister allowing her military officers to sue a couple of journo's of a local community paper.

Why isn't she ordering them to drop this nonsense as she is the one looking like the idiot and hypocrite. Take control of your military woman.

She has already been charged with dereliction of duty. One more such crime make no difference to her.

I doubt the PM is behind this. She is busy enough as it is. This is the old guard establishment recoiling at the prospect of public scrutiny.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Just wondering, Yingluk was globetrotting around the world rubbing shoulders with diplomats and preaching on about Thailands Freedoms and freedom of speech. Now we have Yingluk who I also believe is not just the P.M but also the Defence Minister allowing her military officers to sue a couple of journo's of a local community paper.

Why isn't she ordering them to drop this nonsense as she is the one looking like the idiot and hypocrite. Take control of your military woman.

She has already been charged with dereliction of duty. One more such crime make no difference to her.

I don't think she is behind this. She is busy enough already. This is the old guard establishment recoiling at the thought of public scrutiny and accountability.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

They are charged with computer crimes anyway. If they had registered the website outside Thailand, this would never have happened. But anyway, if I sit in Thailand and read it on someone else's website, why aren't they guilt also.

Why isn't Reuters guilty? I hope the judge sees sense and tosses this case into the sea.

If I put the link up on my Facebook am I guilty? Its all stupid legal nonsense to cover their backside instead of disproving the allegation.

We're they forced to Reprint? If you defame someone publically on Facebook are you guilty of

defamation? Probably not. I just don't believe journalist should have a blank check to write about anything that fits their agenda even if it might not be true. There should be ethics in journalism along with professional integrity. These are things I see missing especially from Western media. Press freedoms are abused and if the press cannot monitor their own profession, then the government should step in and do it for them.

• Like 1

We're they forced to Reprint? If you defame someone publically on Facebook are you guilty of

defamation? Probably not. I just don't believe journalist should have a blank check to write about anything that fits their agenda even if it might not be true. There should be ethics in journalism along with professional integrity. These are things I see missing especially from Western media. Press freedoms are abused and if the press cannot monitor their own profession, then the government should step in and do it for them.

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

As I understand it in America if you want to call someone a commie you have to prove it. In the UK if you want to call someone a commie the alleged commie has to prove he is not.

Commie used to be a bad word. I just used it as example. I'm with the new wave that know commies are OK.

I can see what you are saying about the press getting out of hand. I don't know about Russia but I think most Americans think the government is getting out of hand and the press has a case of terminal brown nosing but having said that who would you recommend to be a press watchdog? Maybe NSA? Or CIA or FBI?

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

As I understand it in America if you want to call someone a commie you have to prove it. In the UK if you want to call someone a commie the alleged commie has to prove he is not.

Commie used to be a bad word. I just used it as example. I'm with the new wave that know commies are OK.

I can see what you are saying about the press getting out of hand. I don't know about Russia but I think most Americans think the government is getting out of hand and the press has a case of terminal brown nosing but having said that who would you recommend to be a press watchdog? Maybe NSA? Or CIA or FBI?

The press should police itself.

I think the government has the obligation to snoop. Terrorist are high tech in their criminal activities, shouldn't the government be also in their prevention Efforts? We live in the digital age and the NSA, CIA and FBI should also be able to operate on this digital battlefield in order to accomplish it's mission. I have not seen any plan that would offer an equivalent level of protection other than the snooping so many people are complaining about. If one exists then let's discuss it.

They reproduced someone else's work before it was deemed defamatory. If I read a story in the bangkok post and post it, then itis subsequently accused of being defamatory, why should I who reposted it be guilty but not the person who wrote it.

They need to chase Reuters.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

IT's not a case of press freedom, but defamation against a group of people, in a lot of country like western, Journalist could be prosecute for this, for example journalist how take picture of President HOLLANDE go to see his mistress , the photograph and the newspaper are convict by court.....

If this is true then shame on the Navy and they should be punished. If this turns out to be not true then shame on the reporters and they should be held accountable. If the wrong law was cited in defamation then toss out the case and file proper defamation charges. A press pass does not give an individual the right to write or reprint false statements about an individual or an organization. If they think they have a serious case it seems to me they should be reporting it to higher authorities and not writing about it. If they witness a murder, do they write about it first and hope the police read their paper or do they call the Police? How is this a different?

They didn't write it, they reproduced it.....

Who would ever register and host an internet based newspaper in Thailand? Just stick it overseas.

I guess every single one of us who has ever attached a linked from a foreign news agency on here showing Thailand in a bad light could also be arrested and face 2 to 7 yrs imprisonment. Geez you don't even get that for murder in Australia.

IT's not a case of press freedom, but defamation against a group of people, in a lot of country like western, Journalist could be prosecute for this, for example journalist how take picture of President HOLLANDE go to see his mistress , the photograph and the newspaper are convict by court.....

Besides Russia name one?

Besides Russia name one?

Mr HOLLANDE is the french president not russia

Besides Russia name one?

Like what don't people know about Hollande?

post-187908-0-76320100-1397813526_thumb.

• Like 1

Bad move for Thailand, they haven't thought of the consequences of such move.

The foreign media will rip them apart.

The ripping has already started, and they are playing hardball. http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/10/uk-thailand-rohingya-specialreport-idUKBREA3922N20140410

Thanks for the link...here is an eye-opening piece of into...

He said he has identified at least six smuggling syndicates in southern Thailand, all run by Thai Muslims...

Could this be one of the reasons...for all the separatists activity and terrorism in the South....?

Since the RTN is not a person or persons then how is it possible to defame it?

The plight of the 'stateless Royhingyas is a humanitarian issue which demonstrates the callousness of the Thai and Burmese governments in particular.

Edited by noodle

Besides Russia name one?

Like what don't people know about Hollande?

Who? what is his claim to fame, never heard of the woman

Of course, governments never try to muzzle the media in the West!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just in case you don’t get it- read slowly:

The incident happened here. The posts in this forum are about press freedom in Thailand. Hence, it is absolutely irrelevant what happens in the West. The same appears to rape, corruption and road accidents. Got it now?

Edited by Lupatria

If this is true then shame on the Navy and they should be punished. If this turns out to be not true then shame on the reporters and they should be held accountable. If the wrong law was cited in defamation then toss out the case and file proper defamation charges. A press pass does not give an individual the right to write or reprint false statements about an individual or an organization. If they think they have a serious case it seems to me they should be reporting it to higher authorities and not writing about it. If they witness a murder, do they write about it first and hope the police read their paper or do they call the Police? How is this a different?

Who would 'punish ' the navy? In case you forgot, the Thai military does not recognize the authority of Thailand's civilian government., nor does it consider itself subject to the judgements of civil courts. The military is not accountable to the people of Thailand.

• Like 1

you often read about thai's threatening to sue, what they dont seem to get is that you cant sue if something is true. you cant sue someone just because you dont like your dirty laundry being aired in public.

i remember the thai lady in the UK whose sponsor said he didnt want to support her visa renewal. she said she was going to sue UK immigration for 100 million baht because they refused to renew. wonder how that went for her...

you often read about thai's threatening to sue, what they dont seem to get is that you cant sue if something is true. you cant sue someone just because you dont like your dirty laundry being aired in public.

In Thailand, you can actually, if what is written is damaging to your reputation. That way, it's easier to sweep things under the carpet. Only in Thailand wai2.gif

• Like 1

i remember the thai lady in the UK whose sponsor said he didnt want to support her visa renewal. she said she was going to sue UK immigration for 100 million baht because they refused to renew. wonder how that went for her...

She won........................the Darwinian award.

Who has the burden of proof for truth? In the London it's the accused in NYC it's the accuser as I understand it. Who is it in Bangkok?

Who has the burden of proof for truth? In the London it's the accused in NYC it's the accuser as I understand it. Who is it in Bangkok?

It's the one with the least money...

It's the one with the least money...

Like you have a clue!smile.png

They didn't write it, they reproduced it.....

Who would ever register and host an internet based newspaper in Thailand? Just stick it overseas.

I guess every single one of us who has ever attached a linked from a foreign news agency on here showing Thailand in a bad light could also be arrested and face 2 to 7 yrs imprisonment. Geez you don't even get that for murder in Australia.

Aw one get less than 2 years imprisonment for murder in Australia ?crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Who would 'punish ' the navy? In case you forgot, the Thai military does not recognize the authority of Thailand's civilian government., nor does it consider itself subject to the judgements of civil courts. The military is not accountable to the people of Thailand.

Good point. There are too many instances here of people or institutions using the courts when it suits them and ignoring them when it doesn't.

• Like 1