Don't leave me outside for the love of god.

Banshee

Interesting observations from the OP about the differences between the Thai sexes...............I long ago came to the conclusion that Thai males do, indeed, come from an entirely different planet to Thai females.

I've never before experienced, in any other country, such a marked difference between the two sexes in temperament, personality, (apparent) depth of character, social graces - you name it.

In any social situation my wife and I find ourselves in, I'll always join her in the "ladies group" for a far more enjoyable and fun time than the terminally boring macho posturing that Thai men only seem able to exhibit when they've had a few beers.

Have you ever been to Australia?

I resemble that remark !! Don't worry about the Aussie women mate. They can handle themselves well enough amongst the men folk..

Edited by MickGC

Interesting observations from the OP about the differences between the Thai sexes...............I long ago came to the conclusion that Thai males do, indeed, come from an entirely different planet to Thai females.

I've never before experienced, in any other country, such a marked difference between the two sexes in temperament, personality, (apparent) depth of character, social graces - you name it.

In any social situation my wife and I find ourselves in, I'll always join her in the "ladies group" for a far more enjoyable and fun time than the terminally boring macho posturing that Thai men only seem able to exhibit when they've had a few beers.

Have you ever been to Australia?

I resemble that remark !! Don't worry about the Aussie women mate. They can handle themselves well enough amongst the men folk..

That wasn't my point. I'm sure they can. Australian men seem to enjoy the company of their mates more than other Western cultures.

• Like 1

OP, doesn't matter if you are in Thailand, in this situation, or anywhere else in the world.

If you don't speak the language you will always feel awkward.

Yes, feels better going to the women, pulling funny faces, and making them lough, but be aware that they are saying to the others, what a silly farang!

Associating with Thais when you can't understand them, or visa versa, it's a hopeless situation.

+1...Very awkward after a short period of time. You can only force a smile for so long.

I actually enjoy the part of the evening when the women go off. Means I can have a good gargle away from the wife's beady eye. I enjoy hearing nefarious and sometimes shocking tales from the boys too which allow me to live vicariously. I also have a cannon of jokes which don't lose anything in translation which always go down a treat.

I heartily actually agree with Beetlejuice here. It is amazing how so many blokes can't survive here for less than 3 minutes away from the wife's apron strings....

I was at a party recently where there were two other Westerners there. Both charming, pleasant and intelligent lads who seemed to have a smattering of understanding of what was going on.

When the women went off inside to wash up and natter they were nowhere to be seen and we were having decent conversations up to that point as we'd been lumped together.

That's right heavy drinker, only you understand Thailand, only you can survive without your wife, not us, only you as you seem so eager to brag about.

We are all in envy of your amazing ability to fit in, you amaze me, us however, we are completely in the dark.

You very much seem to be given you clearly spend every social occasion you attend in Thailand hiding behind your wife like a shy 5 year old child at a birthday party hides behind his mummy....

Your absolutely sure about that, have you got tabs on me.

Just because I retreat inside when bored at a rare event, does not mean I'm doing that every other day every where else.

Often do things alone, only took two posts to realise you not to free with the truth, and like to make same broad assumptions, don't like guys who bs, no offence I got no time for it.

No time for argumentative trolls, to much fun here for that heavy drinker.

How stressful and miserable your lives must be in Thailand. Moan and complain about everything regarding the aspects of the Thai way of life, their behaviour and the environments around you.

On reading many of these threads, it seems lots of farangs are unable to find contentment here, they come across as being totally disillusioned and I have to wonder why are they here and why do they say in a country where it is obvious they are not happy in?

I have to tell you that the Thais are not going to adapt themselves to appease the farangs, it is up to the ex-pats to adapt to the ways of Thailand, and for those who cannot, than they have a big problem. Perhaps the best solutions for people like the OP is to make a computer their best friend? Go onto Skype and facebook and stay at home in isolation in their own world and environment where nothing annoys or irritates them and they can pick and choose their own imaginary friends.

There you go again...attacking the posters here...not only a Thai apologist...but an OP basher also...you must be so proud...

I agree, Beetlejuice makes me cringe. Oh to be such a perfect individual.

Women are more communicative than men. They learn another language much faster and easier than men. Evidence - there are far more Thai women married to foreigners than Thai men. Thai society is a matriarchy to a great extent. Even though men are given preference or deference the family is often dominated by women. Women seem to predominate in the rice fields and in government offices.

I have noticed that women are more prominent in many aspects of society in the world.

It is little wonder you find them more interesting. I do too.

It's time to you start to make Somtham for them. Those who're too lazy to go to the bathroom will get a pot by you. They'll keep you busy I'm sure.

Don't leave me with them, for the sake of Buddha.

Edited by sirchai

• 2 weeks later...