What to do about the "owned" soi dogs that are becoming aggressive?

FarangFB

I live in a condo in a quiet Soi in South Pattaya. For years there were only two pacific dogs living in the block, with collars, being (quite well) fed by people that live in the area. They never caused any trouble that I know of. These dogs were owned by nobody in particular and lived in the streets, but were being taken care of.

A few months ago, three more dogs, apparently siblings, arrived in the area. They were given the same fair treatment: collar, food and "permission" to be around.

However, they are growing, and showing signs of aggression. Barking loudly and following people that arrive at night, even if they live in the area. This is a concern for the future, these dogs are still growing and will be quite large someday.

The last thing I wish is to cause harm to these dogs (and any people who do will feel the wrath of the dog feeders), but I simply don't like the idea of dogs "dominating" some area that is supposed to be public. They shouldn't be barking at people that are just passing by.

I could try feeding them too and becoming "friendly", but I am against that behavior as this will eventually only attract even more dogs.

Does anybody have a suggestion?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, you seem confused what you want.

If you wish no harm to come to them, and they are behaving in an anti-social manner, only one solution.

Round them up, and drive them some distance, maybe in the back of a pick-up. Leave them far enough away so they will not return.

What other solution can there be ?

Pattaya28, brilliant idea.

Can you please come to my house and round up the 50 dogs roaming around?

You need a big truck but I'll pay your expenses.

No problem at all if that's what you want.

Are you bothered if any harm comes to them ? If not, then I have a cheaper and quicker option.

Your call.

Dog irradication is really quite simple.

Edited by Pattaya28

Well I guess I gotta feed them a few times then.

This will make the dogs friendly with me, but it still bothers me that they might bark at some people that occasionally might visit me.

sounds pretty antisocial to me, are you sure your dog feeders arent the local drug dealers?

Edited by slygeeza

Well I guess I gotta feed them a few times then.

This will make the dogs friendly with me, but it still bothers me that they might bark at some people that occasionally might visit me.

sounds pretty antisocial to me, are you sure your dog feeders arent the local drug dealers?

Naot drug dealers, just some fat old farang dudes that live in the area.

I remember reading on here about one bloke who ran over one of these soi dogs because he had had enough of them! The Thai owner of the dog then started trying to sue him for compensation, if I remember rightly! Could be worth trying to find that post for some advice!

Not sure what to do about the soi dogs though, they seem to be a problem all over Thailand, you have just got to learn to live them, I guess

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you wish no harm to come to them, and they are behaving in an anti-social manner, only one solution.

Round them up, and drive them some distance, maybe in the back of a pick-up. Leave them far enough away so they will not return.

Are you bothered if any harm comes to them ? If not, then I have a cheaper and quicker option.

Your call.

With that attitude you might just get eradicated!

• Like 1

The befriending them method works a treat. I started getting flack from a load of strays on one of my walking routes but a pack of doggie treats and now they're my best pals.....

I went and bought some very nice real meat dog treats at Rimping as I quite like dogs... The dogs just turned their noses up at them and went away... The neighbor can throw a pot full of day old gruel out on the street gutter and the dogs hog wild...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The befriending them method works a treat. I started getting flack from a load of strays on one of my walking routes but a pack of doggie treats and now they're my best pals.....

I went and bought some very nice real meat dog treats at Rimping as I quite like dogs... The dogs just turned their noses up at them and went away... The neighbor can throw a pot full of day old gruel out on the street gutter and the dogs hog wild...coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

That's why in my post I lined out the dog food bit. Soi dogs get fed all sorts of junk and when you give them real dog food its not appealing to them.

Take most young kids these days, give them a BigMac and fries and they will be happy, cook them a nice steak with home made chips and real gravy and they will be like "what the hell is this."

Feed them and get to know them. These dogs will keep undesirables out of your Soi.

Edit: Don't look at the dogs when walking past them. You have the eyes of a predator and this is what makes the dogs nervous. This is why they tend to bark at some people.

And should he tell all his friends that they cannot visit any more?whistling.gif

Several of those dogs will be having litters of puppies soon.

Do the math.

Roaming packs of mangy dogs, barking, fighting, biting and shitting all over the place. Nice.

Get a couple of them fixed, give them flea baths and feed them worm medicine then off to the Temple with the rest.

Of course feeding them will make them more friendly towards you.

Likely they will be well fed enough to breed more too.

Perhaps we could get into the hundreds if you and others bought more chickens.

You might be fine but other people returning home late could end up bitten if they haven't brought a freshly BBQ chicken with them.

Or bitten if they have.

I say make a complaint to City Hall, they did have dog catchers and they were taken to pounds rather than euthanised..

Or you could put up a sign telling the dog lovers please come and take a dozen or two to live with them in their condos!

There once was a very friendly street dog living outside our condo that a had puppies. One puppy after about a year became very aggressive barking, growling at everyone except the guards. One time I came home and the pup started to growl and snap at me and the Mommy dog actually growled and snapped at the pup like it was protecting me. Anyway I complained to the building manager and after about a month, this dog aggressive disappeared.

Go see Pattaya veterinary section in basement of public health building Soi Bhuakhaow. It is next to new hospital. Little to no English spoken but they will take away unowned dogs. If owned then the dog should be inside owners property and not on public land unless leashed. PM if you need more info.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

Feed them and get to know them. These dogs will keep undesirables out of your Soi.

Edit: Don't look at the dogs when walking past them. You have the eyes of a predator and this is what makes the dogs nervous. This is why they tend to bark at some people.

And should he tell all his friends that they cannot visit any more?whistling.gif

No, he should tell them not to look at the dogs when walking past them... cheesy.gifclap2.gif

In any event ya all should start taking action and calling the vet/dog office in lower level of yellow public health annex on Soi Bukow next to the large clinic.

The lady who sends her team out on complaints is Bon, 082 480 3480. another number related is 083 750 5805. The dogs are taken to Sattahip where they are spaded.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/709111-warning-for-dog-owners/page-2#entry7539328

Outside of the small community where I live I cannot go out after dark. If any dog within the community gets aggressive then they are given a strongly worded letter and not seen again.

Feed them treats. No dry dog food, but yummy food treats from the pet store. They're very cheap and the dogs will love you.

If they're females (probably not; it's the males that tend to be more aggressive and protective of their area), get them spayed. I've paid for the spaying of four soi dogs around my house. No more puppies and the dogs are now friendly and healthy. Good Karma too.

Edited by dotx

555 biggrin.png Costa why don't you get friendly with your soi dogs and make a trip to the pet shop for some (50 dog supply) of those irresistible dog treats.

555 biggrin.png Costa why don't you get friendly with your soi dogs and make a trip to the pet shop for some (50 dog supply) of those irresistible dog treats.

Sometimes, I get the impression, that they look at me as an irresistible dog treat.

Your call.

Noooooooo killings, Pattaya28.

When you getting older, you have to start thinking of your bad record on earth, when you face the Almighty.

Thanks for posting this.

I never thought of it. I get a lot of dogs that bark at me but always keep their distance. That could be why or maybe they smell my rottweiler on me.