Chalerm briefs top bureaucrats

webfact

Chalerm briefs top bureaucrats
Pravit Rojanaphruk,
Anapat Deechuay
The Nation

30231700-01_big.gif
Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order chief Chalerm Yoobamrung, second left, addresses the meeting of ministry permanent secretaries yesterday. Justice Ministry permanent secretary Kittipong Kittayarak is seen at second right.

Permanent secretaries of five ministries choose to stay away

BANGKOK: -- The permanent secretaries of all 20 ministries were summoned yesterday afternoon to hear Chalerm Yoobamrung, chief of the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order, give a 40-minute lecture on how bureaucrats should conduct themselves vis-a-vis the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee.

However, Chalerm ended up spending most of his time seeking pity for and defending the caretaker Yingluck Shinawatra administration.

The permanent secretaries of five ministries - Public Health, Transport, Foreign affairs, Energy and Labour - did not attend. Four sent representatives, while Narong Sahametapat of Public Health conspicuously assigned no one to go the meeting instead.

Chalerm said he left it to the good judgement of all permanent secretaries to decide how to deal with Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary-general of the PDRC, who is urging all officials to join in civil disobedience against the government.

He also told them that bloodshed is inevitable if the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and the Constitutional Court unfairly hand down rulings against Yingluck.

"When violence erupts, permanent secretaries must think whether they would like to stand by justice or not. Each one will be recorded by history," he said.

Chalerm singled out Public Health's Narong, who was not present and had no one taking his place, saying it was "too much".

Chalerm said he had instructed police to look into whether Narong's warm welcome for Suthep at his ministry amounted to offering refuge to someone who's fleeing from justice.

"You have to act impartially and not behave like the NACC, which seems like a party to the conflict."

"The case of the permanent secretary of Public Health is the case of a brave man. Our country needs such brave men to make politics colourful. But [Narong's] action is an expression of taking the PDRC's side and opposing the government.

"Once the government is back on track, [we] will order his transfer immediately. I'd like to warn that the Public Health's permanent secretary is betting on the wrong side," he said.

Even more blunt was Surapong Tovichakchaikul, foreign minister and chairman of CAPO's advisory council, who said officials should not blow whistles in support of the PDRC during office hours.

"Officials at my ministry can have a mind that's supportive of Suthep…But [doing that] during office hours is not appropriate," said Surapong, who is also a deputy premier.

Three permanent secretaries defended their "reception" for Suthep, who led PDRC supporters to visit several ministries last week.

Justice's Kittipong Kittayarak said he met Suthep because he wanted to hear from him and reporters were around most of the time.

"When [he] was done talking, I told him of my principles," Kittipong said.

There's such a gap of perception in Thai society today, he added.

Defence's Nipat Thonglek said he had been personally attacked by the pro-PDRC Blue Sky TV channel for half a year and he was curious to hear from Suthep himself.

He said he made Suthep wait for two hours before meeting him and that the place of the meeting wasn't nice enough to qualify as a "reception".

"I asked him what did he want and what were all these five to six months [of protests] for? I told him I disagreed with it," he said.

He will ensure that Yingluck, as caretaker defence minister will have a functional office at the ministry, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-18

It would appear that Chalerm is trying to justify the PTP, to the permanent secretaries , in otherwords brow beating them into what he would like to happen, trying to influence their personal opinions, the five that where missing had foresight to stay away Quoting Chalerm could be dangerous to ones health.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

"The case of the permanent secretary of Public Health is the case of a brave man. Our country needs such brave men to make politics colourful. But [Narong's] action is an expression of taking the PDRC's side and opposing the government.

"Once the government is back on track, [we] will order his transfer immediately. I'd like to warn that the Public Health's permanent secretary is betting on the wrong side," he said.

So it's not about right-or-wrong, but who's supposedly going to emerge as the winner, and the revenge they will take on the civil-servants ? blink.png

"Yay for Red 'True-Democracy' !" wink.png

He also told them that bloodshed is inevitable if the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and the Constitutional Court unfairly hand down rulings against Yingluck.

"When violence erupts, permanent secretaries must think whether they would like to stand by justice or not. Each one will be recorded by history," he said.

Isn´t he the man in charge of the organization tasked to preventing that scenario? He is issuing threats against the whole country...

... and officials in particular.

Chalerm said he had instructed police to look into whether Narong's warm welcome for Suthep at his ministry amounted to offering refuge to someone who's fleeing from justice.

Says the man who succesfully assisted his son from fleeing from justice, intimidating witnesses and whitewashed the murder of a policeman.

His son get many flowers from people at the airport when he arrived back in Thailand...

• Like 1

Since it is not Chalerms job or his business to address the secretaries about political views or opinions it seens almost poetic that he spent most of his meeting seeking PITY for YL which is also not his job. But to blatantly tell these people that bloodshed is imminent if the courts rule against her is akin to a threat. He also automatically assumes that any ministry that goes against YL is for the PDRC which i dont believe to be true. One can be against a corrupt admin and not support the opposition and want true justice. He also goes on to threaten to take Narongs position when the PTP Gov is back in control which in itself would be illegal to terminate someones position due to political views. He is setting himself up for cases against him more for any future PTP gov. This guy really needs to do his job and stop taking that medicine.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

"Chalerm said he had instructed police to look into whether Narong's warm welcome for Suthep at his ministry amounted to offering refuge to someone who's fleeing from justice".... spoken by a man who knows more than most people about fleeing from justice.

The front row look as happy as Kim Jong-un's generals.

• Like 2

Isn´t he the man in charge of the organization tasked to preventing that scenario? He is issuing threats against the whole country...

... and officials in particular.

Says the man who succesfully assisted his son from fleeing from justice, intimidating witnesses and whitewashed the murder of a policeman.

And he just back from visiting a flee'd Criminal in Hong Kong himself! whistling.gif

• Like 2

Now, surely CAPO/Chalerm/PT have well stepped over the line (again) legally on this one and I hope someone recorded this and is going to take them to Court very soon.

It's not their job to tell anyone else what to do or say or think politically.

And then you'll be up shit street once again for transferring someone who has a different view to yourselves. If it was performance-related, you might have a chance, but not in this instance. Narong should take action for threats and intimidation.

• Like 1

He also told them that bloodshed is inevitable if the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and the Constitutional Court unfairly hand down rulings against Yingluck"..........

I would definitely call this a threat and inciting violence; unless the court does what he says!

• Like 2

"Permanent secretaries of five ministries choose to stay away"

Sorry, but I think that is completely unacceptable. He might be a nutjob, but you have to attend surely?

So many people here don't bother to attend court hearings so why attend a lecture by a drunken nutjob ?

• Like 1

Sorry, but I think that is completely unacceptable. He might be a nutjob, but you have to attend surely?

So many people here don't bother to attend court hearings so why attend a lecture by a drunken nutjob ?

Does The caretaker Minister of Ear Medicine actually have any legal mandate to order anything?

• Like 1

I know TIT but in jurisdictions with a proper rule of law Chalerm and others would be very close to Contempt of Court charges as by calling for fair treatment of YL they are insinuating she will not get proper justice. Maybe she will and maybe she won't but there are things that should not be said ahead of any proceedings.

PTP / reds calling for fair treatment are in fact saying ' aquit or else " and that's another aspect of contempt.

"He also told them that bloodshed is inevitable if the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and the Constitutional Court unfairly hand down rulings against Yingluck."

That is something more than Contempt of Court. Surely that can't be lawful.

• Like 1

Does The caretaker Minister of Ear Medicine actually have any legal mandate to order anything?

Good point but he and so many others in this government, PTP and the reds have a track record not not letting little things like legality stand in their way.

Poor Chalerm...... tired and emotional again. It's painful to watch and if Thaksin had a heart he'd pension him off for everybody's sake.

Then again we'd all miss him. The bit about accusing someone else of offering refuge from justice is pure comedy gold. biggrin.png

My first reaction was "unbelievable!" But, given this man's track record not so unbelievable.

Those attending the meeting must have been gobsmacked by the contents of this man's speech.

It appears to have been intimidatory as some posters have pointed out.

I also think that the level of intelligence and social/political awareness was probably much higher amongst the audience than that displayed by Chalerm and his team.

Also the sheer naivety that Chalerm displayed was incredible. Does he have no shame?

On the other hand the same tone of lecturing from Thaksin has been reported (and seen on Utube) and even his recent message for Songkran displayed the same level of idiocy and naivety.

Is this something about Thailand? When will people actually stand up and tell them in front of the audience that they're talking sh*t? Why are Thais so scared to do this?

My wife was recently part of a group of parents having to wait for four hours for the teacher to turn up at a school meeting. The teacher had organised the meeting for 7am (!) but actually came at 11.05.

My wife was the only person to confront her and people w ere shocked that she stood up and lectured the teacher about her manners and why she should be at the meeting on time.

The teacher's response was to immediately cancel the meeting. So Chalerm's childish antics all starts with the education system ......

We may have to take this part seriously, if the monk beaters won't do it, he may send his son.

"Chalerm briefs top bureaucrats"

Shouldn't that read "Chalerm threatens top bureaucrats" ?

He doesn't know any other way really;vile, elitist,fascist, anti democratic, nazi, thug that he is :-)

• Like 2