Thai-born British citizen accused of lese majeste by her own parents

webfact

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throwing their own daughter under a bus to save face is the lowest form of selfishness.

I understand what you mean, and that was my first reaction too - but then realizing that she is in her thirties, and is a UK citizen living over there and obviously has severed ties with her parents (they have not been in contact for some time), it has obviously got to the point where the daughter is taking actions overseas that are endangering her parents lives and lifestyle here in Thailand; she has refused to stop, so they have to take action.

If they say nothing, then it may be seen that they are complicit in flouting the law, and there may be a danger of their being arrested as well.

If the daughter has no consideration for her elderly parents, and despite their plea to stop, she continues, in some ways I can see that there is virtually no alternative, short of leaving the country themselves - which is obviously not going to be desirable, and probably totally impractical even if it were possible.

I hate to say it, but I can't defend the daughters actions, and I do understand the parents position.

Could I do such a thing myself? No.

100% cons-productive.

The parents should be sued for lese-majesté => they are the ones ridiculing and jeopardizing what they are fighting for.

There's a few wise words there.

How to reinforce the way people think, in one easy lesson.

This is another example of unique Thainess as in Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Nth. Korea and other totalitarian regimes its the children who are encouraged to denounce their parents.

So the parents want Thailand to try to extradite a British citizen from the UK to face charges of a crime that is not a crime in the UK. Will not fly according the Anglo-Siam treaty that deals with extradition. So why would they bother, unless they just don't want her to ever come back to Thailand?

This censorship is absolute rubbish... I know how much most people love the monarchy and the King. Isn't that enough? Those few who for some reason have something against the family should be able to speak freely. But I guess I'm just dreaming again...

In Sweden we have monarchy. Thailand wouldn't believe their ears if they knew what our newspapers likes to write about our Nai Luang.

That being said, all respect to his majesty for being one of the best role models this nation has ever faced.

I take the view that if the institution is loved, it can survive any discussion or criticism. The British royals roll with the good and the bad and are overall well respected and loved. These cases hurt the institution more than help it.

You cant force someone to love or respect something. Eventually the worm turns.

I agree. The Thai monarchy is so loved and respected and is in no danger of losing that. Laws like this can have the effect of defeating their own purpose and can cause people to use the law unjustly against each other for personal reasons.

That said, even though she has the right of free speech in the UK, this girl is not being sensitive to her parents' situation in Thailand. They may not have had much choice but to make the accusation with pressure from family, friends, and even neighbors.

But if the parents just did this on their own (accuse a family member and expat abroad for violation of a law in Thailand) without any external pressure, then I would consider them pretty miserable parents.

This censorship is absolute rubbish... I know how much most people love the monarchy and the King. Isn't that enough? Those few who for some reason have something against the family should be able to speak freely. But I guess I'm just dreaming again...

In Sweden we have monarchy. Thailand wouldn't believe their ears if they knew what our newspapers likes to write about our Nai Luang.

That being said, all respect to his majesty for being one of the best role models this nation has ever faced.

People are acknowledging the great ruler as one of the best role models. They some sort looking him equivalent as to the mighty Buddha.

Do you see the Thai people talking sh*t about Buddha? The buddha got a sacred position and they see upon the great ruler similar to him. So i believe the monarchy rules are set to give the great ruler and his family the fullest respect. As they know how hardworking the great King and family has devoted their lifetime contributing to the Thai people.

Just my own opinions.

I take the view that if the institution is loved, it can survive any discussion or criticism. The British royals roll with the good and the bad and are overall well respected and loved. These cases hurt the institution more than help it.

You cant force someone to love or respect something. Eventually the worm turns.

I agree. The Thai monarchy is so loved and respected and is in no danger of losing that. Laws like this can have the effect of defeating their own purpose and can cause people to use the law unjustly against each other for personal reasons.

That said, even though she has the right of free speech in the UK, this girl is not being sensitive to her parents' situation in Thailand. They may not have had much choice but to make the accusation with pressure from family, friends, and even neighbors.

But if the parents just did this on their own (accuse a family member and expat abroad for violation of a law in Thailand) without any external pressure, then I would consider them pretty miserable parents.

The parents should not be subject to threats in Thailand. Job done.

Her parents are getting attacked from people in Thailand, due to her actions. basically the parents are protecting themselves. we dont know what threats they have had against them but im pretty sure its ugly. some of these people can get fanatical. sad all round

If this is true this is your best post ever. Not that it took much to beat your usual postings.

But it is logical if the parents are under threat for them to do this as a shield.

I'm glad you posted this, rob. I was within a hair of clicking a like onto moonao's post--but just couldn't bring myself to. It's so much easier to like the idea once removed from the source.

I very much doubt she gives a toss, she is a British Citizen, living in a country that allows freedom of speech. She's not likely to return here anytime soon.

Freedom when it is against the Thai Monarchy. If it is against UK or USA than there isn't that much freedom....see the Snowden situation where they threatened the newspapers

Have a look at some of the stuff that gets said about the British Monarchy, British Politicians etc....would never be allowed here.

Literally true. Because the Thai law also covers other monarchies around the world.

Edited by zydeco

Seen the FB page...another Red Terrorist groupy. She thinks, that the terrorist Ko Tee, is a hero. Shameful, for a former Thai citizen to post such hateful things and images against the monarchy. sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.pngxwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

I very much doubt she gives a toss, she is a British Citizen, living in a country that allows freedom of speech. She's not likely to return here anytime soon.

Freedom when it is against the Thai Monarchy. If it is against UK or USA than there isn't that much freedom....see the Snowden situation where they threatened the newspapers

Have a look at some of the stuff that gets said about the British Monarchy, British Politicians etc....would never be allowed here.

Literally true. Because the Thai law also covers other monarchies around the world.

Does it? Have you got a link to a source for that? The aspects I have read of the Constitution and Article 112 pertain to Thailand, and use 'the' - a definite article which can logically only pertain to the Thai Monarchy, and members of it.

Perhaps there's another aspect I am unaware of, it's been mentioned by you and another poster so I'm interested in seeing the specific law that includes other Royal Families.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

She's a British citizen residing in London.

She can say what she wishes.

Not according to Thai law. In fact under Thai law, insulting any Royal globally can be punished.

Since when is there Thai law in London? How irrelevant.

Not according to Thai law. In fact under Thai law, insulting any Royal globally can be punished.

Well thai law has no power in the UK as UK law does not reconize archaic laws such as leste majeste she can say whatever she wants and thai law can do nothing to her unless she comes to thailand outside of that they can whistle dixie because they cant do a damn thing about what she or anyone else says about the royalty.

People can insult the Queen of England all they want they have the freedom to do that its does not change the fact that the UK monarchy is still well loved by the people and a few people that dislike them for any reason makes no difference but they have that freedom to choose how they feel about it.

Thai law covers NOTHING BUT THAILAND

thai laws mean nothing outside of thailand

German law specifies any foreign head of state as well - not just royal families.

Though I have not heard of it being enforced - officially if you made a disparaging comment about Ghaddafi or Hussein in the past you could have been charged...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If found guilty for disrespect, I hope she go to jail to the limit of the punishment. 5 years for every disrespect. That will be good for her. Thailand do not have such disrespectful people. We all love the king more than our parents. Don't believe me, just ask anything Thai you know.

I would but I would only be Thai'd ( lied ) to.How is the weather in Scotland at the moment?

Today Pol.Maj.Gen. Noraboon Naenna, deputy commander of the Crime Suppression Division, also convened a meeting to discuss the investigation into a Redshirt activist, Mr. Wuttipong Kochthammakul, who has been accused of defaming the monarchy in an interview with a Vice News reporter.

Mr. Wuttipong has not been seen in public since the allegation surfaced earlier this month.

If you have seen the episode in question (I have), you will know it is no allegation. Surprised the hell out of me when he said it, especially as he said it IN Thailand. There can be little doubt he violated section 112. Anyway, up to the courts to decide, not me.

Oh my god. What an unholy mess that is. She will never come back to Thailand now.

These laws have to be changed.

I don't think they have a case.

The crime was commited by a British citizen on the British mainland where free speech against any monarchy (including the British monarchy) is 100% legal.

If Thailand thinks it can intimidate everyone in the world with their lese majeste law, they are very very wrong.

If found guilty for disrespect, I hope she go to jail to the limit of the punishment. 5 years for every disrespect. That will be good for her. Thailand do not have such disrespectful people. We all love the king more than our parents. Don't believe me, just ask anything Thai you know.

thanks for the comment judge farang..you and her dad drinking buddies ..thumbsup.gif

Think you may have missed something important here, I am of the impression that this was written by a Thai not a Farang.

You do understand that Thai law can only be enforced "in" Thailand, no one else in the rest of the world gives a monkeys what the law is here and it can't and won't be enforced anywhere else in the world, and contrary to popular Thai belief, they are not the center of the universe either.

Thai law covers NOTHING BUT THAILAND

thai laws mean nothing outside of thailand

You missed the point. If you are in Thailand and insult a foreign monarch, THEN the law applies.