T_Dog

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was that back in the SAS Navy Seals? tongue.png

I believe SAS and Seals are two distinct outfits and I abhor the military. Never been a pack animal...

Just work like one.

our

Yeah...why carry stuff like freedom around on your back, when you can have others do it instead, while you abhor them.

• Like 1

Any thoughts/ideas, apart from those above, on places to go in Northern Thailand that are cooler than Chiang Mai at this time of year, and fun to visit/stay?

I understand that temps generally reduce by 0.7C for every 100 metres above sea level which may be one reason why Mae Hong Son has been suggested but if the city is in the valley maybe it is no cooler than Chiang mai, even though the surrounding peaks will be cooler.

All ideas welcome, especially if based on recent personal experience....

Any thoughts/ideas, apart from those above, on places to go in Northern Thailand that are cooler than Chiang Mai at this time of year, and fun to visit/stay?

I understand that temps generally reduce by 0.7C for every 100 metres above sea level which may be one reason why Mae Hong Son has been suggested but if the city is in the valley maybe it is no cooler than Chiang mai, even though the surrounding peaks will be cooler.

Well, you said all ideas welcome....at the back of Huay Tung Tao not far from the golden statue of the snake with loads of heads at the foot of the mountain, walk down the road around the lake clockwise for about 50-100 metres and turn left onto a narrow trail. It is fairly flat as it runs parallel to the road for a short while but then take a left turn and head up the side of the mountain in a generally west-northwesterly direction. Jump over an artificial water channel and maybe one or two small dried up streams until you hit a noticeably larger stream (not sure but probably dried up too now), then stick to the path that runs beside it up the mountain. Entire journey would take about an hour if you're fit. Longer with breaks. You will eventually hit a kind of mini valley. Usually there is a waterfall there the sound of which usually helps you find it, but maybe not right now if its dried up.

Anyway, at that place it is always AT LEAST 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding areas. When I was last there, covered in sweat from my exertions, I couldn't even stay too long. It was like being in a massive fridge. A fridge with exotic trees, not much sky and a waterfall.

Not sure Mae Hong Son qualifies. I has held the highest temps in Thailand over the past few days at 42 and 43 degrees C. It is in a valley so it seems to have very high temperatures every hot season.

Doi Angkhang and Doi Inthanon are probably your best bets, but as Jadeeguy posted earlier, even the the higher elevations are hot this year.

Not sure Mae Hong Son qualifies. I has held the highest temps in Thailand over the past few days at 42 and 43 degrees C. It is in a valley so it seems to have very high temperatures every hot season.

Doi Angkhang and Doi Inthanon are probably your best bets, but as Jadeeguy posted earlier, even the the higher elevations are hot this year.

Thanks T-dog, saved me a trip to Mae Hong Son.

I was really looking for somewhere to stay that is cooler not just a few hours on a peak. Seems like leaving the country is the only option then. Been to Macau/HK recently so Taiwan maybe... Bit drastic but so hot just now and staying in a/c territory gets boring.

I have always enjoyed hanging around Doi Mai Salong and have never even used a fan that I can remember. It is beautiful and everyone speaks Chinese, instead of Thai, with lots of Chinese food available. It is an hour or two above Chiang Rai.

http://www.yr.no/place/Thailand/Chiang_Rai/Doi_Mae_Salong/

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

I have always enjoyed hanging around Doi Mai Salong and have never even used a fan that I can remember. It is beautiful and everyone speaks Chinese, instead of Thai, with lots of Chinese food available. It is an hour or two above Chiang Rai.

Many thanks for the idea- I'll check it out

• Like 1

I went to doi ang khang during Songkran a few years ago and was surprised by how much cooler it was than Chiang Mai, which was quite hot at the time. There was a nip in the air late at night and I needed a light jacket whilst sitting outside on the terrace. Is there a weather website that will show ang khang? It wasn't on my ipad weather app.

I just checked doi maesalong and that is about 10f cooler than Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Looks just what I am looking for but struggling to see an ok hotel in that area. Can you recommend anywhere from your visits please?

Looks just what I am looking for but struggling to see an ok hotel in that area. Can you recommend anywhere from your visits please?

I've stayed in Little Home a couple of times. Spotlessly clean brick bungalows in a nice garden overlooking the valley. Good Yunan food in the restaurant at the front. Friendly and helpful owners. If you have your own transport there is a nice drive through a small valley behind the school that comes back up on the main round. Ask the owner for his free hand-drawn map.

http://www.maesalonglittlehome.com/about_us_en.php

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I've stayed in Little Home a couple of times. Spotlessly clean brick bungalows in a nice garden overlooking the valley. Good Yunan food in the restaurant at the front. Friendly and helpful owners. If you have your own transport there is a nice drive through a small valley behind the school that comes back up on the main round. Ask the owner for his free hand-drawn map.

http://www.maesalonglittlehome.com/about_us_en.php

This looks just the kind of place we were hoping to find-thank you so much chiangmaijoe.