It's Hot

T_Dog

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Way to go yet. Highest recorded.

56.7 °C (134 °F) Furnace Creek Ranch (formerly Greenland Ranch), Death Valley, California

I spent a few days there and camping at night where the temperature reached 130 in the day and never below 100 at night. But it was a dry heat. xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

I remember one bad moment when I was at the ranch under a palm tree and needed to go about 10 meters to the next one across sand. That was a mistake and I don't know how the fire walkers do it.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It" all in the mind.

I don't think they run you probably did.thumbsup.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to use AC during the day.

It plays merry heck with the acclimatisation process and we get a fine breeze blowing through the house especially upstairs or in the garden where we both work with the French windows and balcony windows open..... .

It's like Air Con Wars in here at times. Her turning them on, me turning them off.

OK if guests pop in but it's not that bad in the heat with the wind gently easing away the heat. I love the feeling at bedtime closing up the windows and letting the A/C blitz the humidity. It's one of life's small pleasures along with jumping into a nice cool pool.....

I think that a lot of us develop a lower tolerance to the heat as we age because I know that I've been in hotter temps a few times when I was younger, but it didn't bother me as much as this summer. Seems that we get a bit more irritable, shorter tempered and just stupid from this extreme heat and I am getting cabin fever from hiding out in my air conditioned 'man cave' [office] for most of the day.

My swimming pool is starting to heat up from the ambient temps so that it is not even refreshing and it will be uninviting for the next 4 months...........who wants to swim in water that is warmer than urine??

Edited by jaideeguy

I refuse to use AC during the day.

It plays merry heck with the acclimatisation process and we get a fine breeze blowing through the house especially upstairs or in the garden where we both work with the French windows and balcony windows open..... .

Doesn't that just let the hot air blow in? Close all windows in my house before it heats up. Nice & cool inside. Open them up again in the evening, once it has cooled down outside.
It sort of does but it's still a relief when even air this soupy is moving. I lost the battle at 9 tonight as we are going to have a snug night on the sofa watching aome classic Holmes with Rathbone and Bruce as she nurses me through this vile bug which I'm sure isn't being helped by the air con. ..

AWESOME! I'm landing in a few days and looking forward cycling up Doi Suthep in the heat...Nothing better than a little adversity to ramp up the training and sweat it out like a pig. Hope it stays above 40C with no rain

AWESOME! I'm landing in a few days and looking forward cycling up Doi Suthep in the heat...Nothing better than a little adversity to ramp up the training and sweat it out like a pig. Hope it stays above 40C with no rain

Yes more than half the country is in drought and dams are at dangerously low levels.Some farmers are desperate for rain to get crops in to feed their families but we wouldn't want to spoil your enjoyment would we.

• Like 1

Electricity is cheap in Thailand, so mine is on from about 10.00 until I get out of bed around 04.00 following morning.

Hottest I ever experienced was 44 C while setting up an engine on a airfield in Mid East.

I returned to office and oldest guy took hold of me, walked me over to cool water machine poured me a drink and said get as much down as you can or you'll collapse.

There was not a drop of sweat on me or my coveralls.

john

It shows 37C (99F) right now in cm, whereas, in Bangkok it shows 35C(95F). Somehow, it's more bearable here than in Bangkok. Don't know the exact reasons why. At home, I need to get the a/c on due mainly to the computers running!

Similar situation here. Since the temps started up like they are now I've found my desktop starting to reboot on it's own in the afternoons. I opened it, cleaned and checked all fans and air passages and found the CPU's heat sink fins clogged with dust. After cleaning it out and re-applying fresh heat transfer compound to the sink-CPU contact it now runs fine. Thermal shutdown. The higher temperatures brought this to my attention and got me checking the other pc's now. xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

• Like 1

Stay hydrated GBHK! It always feels cooler cycling for some reason and it makes for a good escape, but you do need to be wary of heat exhaustion.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Way to go yet. Highest recorded.

56.7 °C (134 °F) Furnace Creek Ranch (formerly Greenland Ranch), Death Valley, California

I spent a few days there and camping at night where the temperature reached 130 in the day and never below 100 at night. But it was a dry heat. xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

I remember one bad moment when I was at the ranch under a palm tree and needed to go about 10 meters to the next one across sand. That was a mistake and I don't know how the fire walkers do it.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It" all in the mind.

I don't think they run you probably did.thumbsup.gif

fried-egg_2140711i.jpg

Unusual to have an egg with your hot-dog!

Tonic Water - GREAT!!!

Back in Canada for some reason on the hottest summer days I really enjoyed Tonic Water, either alone with fresh lime, or with gin or scotch. I had heard that it was created by the British Army for the prevention of Malaria in the tropics by adding quinine to it. I never researched this before.

I started drinking it again a few days ago and what a difference it made to my afternoon heat funk. It really really refreshes in hot weather. I usually drink it with some scotch, in the early afternoon (pre-alcohol) I just drink it on ice with a fresh squeeze of lime. Try it!

Some reading...

Tonic water (or Indian tonic water) is a carbonated soft drink, in which quinine is dissolved. Originally used as a prophylactic against malaria, tonic water usually now has a significantly lower quinine content and is consumed for its distinctive bitter flavour. It is often used in mixed drinks, particularly in gin and tonic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_water

I bought Schweppes brand from Rimping (none at Macro), from the profile below I will be looking for an alternative. High Fructose Corn Syrup (sugar) is really unhealthy.

Nutrition Information Amount per 8 fl oz serving % Daily Value* Calories 90 Total Fat 0 g 0% Sodium 35 mg 1% Total Carbohydrates 22 g 7% Sugar 22 g Protein 0 g

Ingredients

Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Quinine, Natural Flavors

http://www.schweppesus.com/products/schweppes-tonic-water

• Like 1

Stay hydrated GBHK! It always feels cooler cycling for some reason and it makes for a good escape, but you do need to be wary of heat exhaustion.

It does not feel cool cycling up doi suthip in the hot season. Rivers of sweat will be running off GBHK. Stinging his eyes, soaking his clothes. Take plenty of water and stop at the viewpoints to break the effort up is how I do it.

• Like 1

Tonic Water - GREAT!!!

Back in Canada for some reason on the hottest summer days I really enjoyed Tonic Water, either alone with fresh lime, or with gin or scotch. I had heard that it was created by the British Army for the prevention of Malaria in the tropics by adding quinine to it. I never researched this before.

I started drinking it again a few days ago and what a difference it made to my afternoon heat funk. It really really refreshes in hot weather. I usually drink it with some scotch, in the early afternoon (pre-alcohol) I just drink it on ice with a fresh squeeze of lime. Try it!

Some reading...

Tonic water (or Indian tonic water) is a carbonated soft drink, in which quinine is dissolved. Originally used as a prophylactic against malaria, tonic water usually now has a significantly lower quinine content and is consumed for its distinctive bitter flavour. It is often used in mixed drinks, particularly in gin and tonic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_water

I bought Schweppes brand from Rimping (none at Macro), from the profile below I will be looking for an alternative. High Fructose Corn Syrup (sugar) is really unhealthy.

Nutrition Information Amount per 8 fl oz serving % Daily Value* Calories 90 Total Fat 0 g 0% Sodium 35 mg 1% Total Carbohydrates 22 g 7% Sugar 22 g Protein 0 g

Ingredients

Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Quinine, Natural Flavors

http://www.schweppesus.com/products/schweppes-tonic-water

Coincidently, I have just bought a bottle of gin for the first time since 2008. No tonic water though, will need to pick some up tomorrow at Rimping. Instead I'm drinking it with Chang Bitter Lime-Lemon soda water and ice. Incredibly refreshing.

It does not feel cool cycling up doi suthip in the hot season. Rivers of sweat will be running off GBHK. Stinging his eyes, soaking his clothes. Take plenty of water and stop at the viewpoints to break the effort up is how I do it.

What's the point of working out if you're not going to sweat like a demon? None of this sissy air con gym for me. Pedal to the metal until the end or drop dead trying... No worse than the hills of Ethiopia with kids pelting rock as an added bonus, the Sudan desert was hotter than CM, the hills of north Vietnam were pretty nasty and with the 90% humidity in Hong Kong and Malaysia, the water runs off your nose like a tap. All in good fun!

• Like 1

And the worst thing is that there seems to be no escaping it by going to the high elevations. We just returned from a long and torturous drive to Doi Chang @ 1,200 meters and temperature reading in the mid to late afternoon was 94f. In the past, we were able to chill out by 5 to 10f by going to Doi Angkhan....................any recent trip reports from D.A.??

The only escape is to stay in my air conditioned man cave with my computer, but getting 'cave fever' being trapped inside all day.