Transmission Operating Temperatures (Truck)

tkramer

Just came back from a 3 hour (mid day) drive from Hua Hin to Bkk and noticed that my (Chevy) truck 6-speed automatic transmission temperature was running around 87-88 degrees celcious, and when I choose to go manual over-ride it got as hot as 90-91 , then finally cooled back to 87 when I went back to full auto. No load, no towing, 3 passengers.

This seems quite hot to me, and a search on the web yeilded only info on US made Chevy trucks.

Does anybody know if these are 'normal' operating tempuratures?

"How are you monitoring the temps ?"

It is in my info system on my dashboard along with many other info services.

One guy on a US site said that if it got above 93, to shut it down. I'm not too far from that number.

"I believe the perfect temp is 76 deg, temp after that reduces the life of the trans."

My immediate response is to check with the dealer service people, but after a while you learn to never trust or believe anything that comes out of the mouth of a local.

I checked the transmission fluid levels and they are right up there with brand new clean fluid.

I believe the perfect temp is 175 deg F, temp after that reduces the life of the trans. I did have a graph but alas all gone. Sure it is on the Net somewhere.

Is that for the 6 speed auto fitted to the current model Colorado ?

"How are you monitoring the temps ?"

It is in my info system on my dashboard along with many other info services.

One guy on a US site said that if it got above 93, to shut it down. I'm not too far from that number.

what year/model is your colorado ?

I believe the perfect temp is 175 deg F, temp after that reduces the life of the trans. I did have a graph but alas all gone. Sure it is on the Net somewhere.

Doesn't matter how many gears an auto trans has, it is about the fluid the trans uses. It has an operating temperature, go above that temp and the box will fail. The fluid is the life blood of an auto, thats why folk like me had a BIG trans temp gauge to see all was OK or not.

Doesn't matter how many gears an auto trans has, it is about the fluid the trans uses. It has an operating temperature, go above that temp and the box will fail. The fluid is the life blood of an auto, thats why folk like me had a BIG trans temp gauge to see all was OK or not.

The 6 speed auto in the Colorado is not the same dinosaur box you had in your street/strip car years ago (was it TH400 ?). Technology has moved on from there. They run thinner oils and higher temps.

Edited by Spoonman

The 6 speed auto in the Colorado is not the same dinosaur box you had in your street/strip car years ago (was it TH400 ?). Technology has moved on from there. They run thinner oils and higher temps.

Well, tel us what they use now. In my day it was Dextron 111 or the Ford equivalent, which I used in a Dextron box. Tell us...thumbsup.gif

Well, tel us what they use now. In my day it was Dextron 111 or the Ford equivalent, which I used in a Dextron box. Tell us...thumbsup.gif

Dexron-IV.

what is a Dextron Box ?

I don't need to. I know what fluid goes into the transmission in question.

why don't you do some research for a change...... hell I'll be happy for a link to this so called dextron you are harping on about cause to my knowledge GM dropped the T from dextron in the 70's.

Edited by Spoonman

I don't need to. I know what fluid goes into the transmission in question.

why don't you do some research for a change.

And it's safe operating temperature isssssssssssssssssssssss.............?

Ive already said what the boiling point is.

Now about that DexTron fluid.......................

We don't want to know about boiling temperatures, we want to know about auto box longevity related to temperature............rolleyes.gif

Dextron is/was used in GM and Merc boxes, Mercon, Ford etc.....just google............facepalm.gif

Never said Dextron did not exist, just that the T was dropped in the 70's and has been called Dexron ever since.

I guess you are an older person hence relating to something from your youth gone wild.

Still no answers to my temp thing from you. Oh well. sad.png

Never said Dextron did not exist, just that the T was dropped in the 70's and has been called Dexron ever since.

I guess you are an older person hence relating to something from your youth gone wild.

Still no answers to my temp thing from you. Oh well. sad.png

The transmission is a loooooooooooooong from over heating.

What answer are you looking for ?

• Like 1

thread hijack...thread hijack...!

Not really. Fluid temp is THE most important thing for an auto, doesn't matter what fluid is used. You can wipe out an auto in a few km's if it is to hot. My dash has a warning light for this eventuality......whistling.gif

You can wipe out an auto in a few km's if it is to hot. My dash has a warning light for this eventuality......whistling.gif

do you think the OP's 2013 2.8L 6-speed Auto that shows Trans temp on the dash cluster might also throw up a warning light or go into limp mode if it over heats ?

Yeah I reckon it would.

now back to that DexTron.......................

You can wipe out an auto in a few km's if it is to hot. My dash has a warning light for this eventuality......whistling.gif

do you think the OP's 2013 2.8L 6-speed Auto that shows Trans temp on the dash cluster might also throw up a warning light or go into limp mode if it over heats ?

Yeah I reckon it would.

now back to that DexTron.......................

Your the expert, tell us...................blink.png

But do not forget to enlighten folk on trans oil temp and longevity, theres a good lad......thumbsup.gif