Transmission Operating Temperatures (Truck)

tkramer

You already know it all which you repeatably tell us at every given moment.

I give up sad.png . But please tell folk here what super dooper star ship enterprise fluid a 6 speed auto has and it's optimum operating temp is......

I WANT TO KNOW cos learn something every day............thumbsup.gif

You already know it all which you repeatably tell us at every given moment.

I give up sad.png . But please tell folk here what super dooper star ship enterprise fluid a 6 speed auto has and it's optimum operating temp is......

I WANT TO KNOW cos learn something every day............thumbsup.gif

A wooden head living in the 70's will never learn.

Goodbye.

So, I am concluding that somewhere in the neighborhood of 80c degrees is optimal. I will make a few further inquiries this week (hopefully with GM Thailand) and get back with my findings.

I think you should conclude from what the information your dashboard tells you in regards to transmission temps when a trans temp light comes on..... pull over and stop.

your owners manual will indicate the trans light.

Study it.

Edited by Spoonman

Now the blabbering is finished a simple heads up for you auto guys who might be worried.

An auto is totally different from a manual ride. It works on oil/fluid pressure, it has it's own oil/fluid pump, over heating outside the fluid temp range destroys the trans.

A simple test. Get some tissue paper. Pull out the trans dip stick, smell the oil/fluid, should smell sweet and not burnt. wipe the fluid on the tissue, should be pink in colour, not red or brown. If red, change the fluid, if brown you have a big problem.

Some interesting points to consider:

If the auto trans that are fitted on your cars are the same for each model worldwide,

wouldn't the countries that have higher ambient temps make the trans run a lot hotter than

in a country with a cooler climate?

Should you trust the manufacturer's service schedule for replacing the trans oil as i've noticed

that some don't reccomend replacing the oil at all and some at very high mileage intervals?

What are the mileage intervals recommended to replace the trans oil in your vehicles?

If the auto trans that are fitted on your cars are the same for each model worldwide,

wouldn't the countries that have higher ambient temps make the trans run a lot hotter than

Should you trust the manufacturer's service schedule for replacing the trans oil as i've noticed

that some don't reccomend replacing the oil at all and some at very high mileage intervals?

What are the mileage intervals recommended to replace the trans oil in your vehicles?

Trans fluid is very robust if temps are kept in check. Most rides have coolers of some sort. My street/race car had a 25 row cooler, cooled by the engine fan, never had a problem with the fluid. Looked and smelt like new even after racing.

If you use any ride in extreme heat conditions you can fit an additional cooler, but it seems in LOS the manufacturers have done their homework with their cooling system for the climate and usage.

Do my test and you won't go far wrong.

Must add. I bought a temperature strip. It had degrees marked on it and was self adhesive. Stuck one on the trans and engine sumps. The colour on the strips changed to reveal the highest temps. Great piece of kit to suss stuff out.

Trans fluid is very robust if temps are kept in check. Most rides have coolers of some sort. My street/race car had a 25 row cooler, cooled by the engine fan, never had a problem with the fluid. Looked and smelt like new even after racing.

If you use any ride in extreme heat conditions you can fit an additional cooler, but it seems in LOS the manufacturers have done their homework with their cooling system for the climate and usage.

Do my test and you won't go far wrong.

Must add. I bought a temperature strip. It had degrees marked on it and was self adhesive. Stuck one on the trans and engine sumps. The colour on the strips changed to reveal the highest temps. Great piece of kit to suss stuff out.

lol the race car again.

• Like 1

Looked and smelt like new even after racing.

Racing an auto trans? The shame of it all.

The vast majority of "street" cars used in drag racing are autos, for the simple reason they can handle more power than a manual and shift gear quicker. The launch off the line is a killer for manual trans.

For those of you who may be interested in further 'temp info', I pulled this off of an Oz Holden Colorado (made in Thailand) forum.

As well, I did contact GM Thailand, and they said that they would find an 'expert' for me to talk with...all on an Easter Sunday!

Re: Auto Transmission Fluid Temperature ?

icon_post_target.gifby palew » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Many people are often concerned and confused at the conflicting information they receive in regard to the fitting of after-market transmission oil coolers to their vehicles. Very often dealers will say NO simply because it may be in conflict to the design of the vehicle they are selling. Many - probably most new vehicles with automatic transmission have coolers fitted. They are often found to be totally inadequate when towing for sustained periods, substantial weights and often hard conditions. I am not aware of an 4 wheel drives or passenger vehicles designed for towing. The majority of such vehicles are capable of towing but it will always be a compromise between ability and limitations.

Here's some 'food for thought'......

As for the need to fit an Automatic Transmission oil cooler. I suggest that you install a temperature gauge into the transmission line before it enters the radiator (standard transmission cooler). Once you get an idea of the temperatures involved (it can rise between 30 - 50 degrees centigrade) with towing you will never again tow without one installed. They are relatively cheap as compared with the cost of a re-built transmission. I suggest that you take little notice of the person on the Holden Service Department and their opinion that the vehicle does not require additional cooling. Ask the Police Departments why they insist upon additional coolers on all of their automatic vehicles. Ask Holden why it fits and external cooler to the Adventra. They probably won't know but it is to allow for greater cooling during 'extreme' off-road driving etc. Towing is considered as 'extreme driving conditions'. Apart from truck prime movers and large agricultural tractors no vehicles are actually designed for towing. Vehicles commonly used for towing caravans etc are always a compromise between cost and capability and often require modification(s) to enable safe and successful towing.

Have a read of the following for some ideas:

Heat is Your Transmissions Greatest Enemy

Overheating is responsible for the majority of automatic transmission failures. Normal temperatures run about the same as the engine coolant temperature which is regulated by the thermostat to around 90 degrees C.

This brings up a very important point. A well maintained cooling system can extend the transmissions life. Part or all of the transmissions oil cooling function, depending on your vehicle, is built into the vehicles radiator. If the vehicle has an external auxiliary transmission cooler, outside of and usually in front of the radiator, it can help keep the transmission oil and engine coolant cooler. You should always install an additional cooler in-line with the standard cooler as the engine relies on temperature generated by the transmission to assist with raising the operating temperatures for optimum operations.

As the temperature of the transmission fluid increases, the life of the fluid deceases very rapidly:

?90 degree C. allows the fluid to be run for up to 80,000 kilometres before servicing is required
?100 degree C. causes the fluid life to be cut in half to 40,000 kilometres
?113 degree C. causes the fluid life to be cut in half again to 20,000 kilometres
?123 degree C. causes the fluid life to be cut in half again to 10,000 kilometres

Based on these temperatures you can see that one overheat condition of the cooling system or the transmission is cause for immediate replacement of the transmission fluid. (Many Police Departments insist that after a high speed chase, obviously involving Police vehicle(s), that the transmission fluid and brake fluid are completely drained and flushed owing to the extreme temperatures generated and potential for severe damage to components).

Towing Increases the Temperature

Light to moderate load towing will try to increase the transmissions temperature but the cooler would control it under most conditions. If the outside temperature is too high, you are towing in mountainous areas or any of the three following are happening your transmission is at risk:

?Towing in overdrive when it is not recommended for your transmission will cause excess heat and probable failure of the overdrive components in the transmission.

?The extra weight of towing puts additional load on the engine and transmission which will increase the operating temperature of both. If the cooler can’t handle this extra heat the transmission fluid life is reduced as stated above.

?Towing a load over the rating of the tow vehicle, besides being unsafe, will also drive temperatures too high.

Add Extra Cooling if Towing

Installation of an auxiliary oil cooler can protect against excess heat causing premature transmission failure. Dropping the fluid temperature by 20 degrees F. will potentially double the life of the fluid. Most external coolers will drop the fluid temperature by 20 to 30 degrees F.

Service it Regularly

Have a thorough read of your Owners Manual. Most (probably all) manufacturers recommend servicing of both vehicle and transmission at more frequent intervals if the vehicle is driven in harsh (dirty/dusty/rural) conditions including towing.

Most repair shops recommend servicing your automatic transmission around 50,000 to 80,000 kilometres for normal driving conditions which exclude towing or extreme hot, cold or dusty conditions.

Prices for a complete filter and fluid replacement normally run around $120 to $180. If you are just getting a fluid flush the price runs in the $80 to $100 range.

Some transmission repair shops do not perform flushes. They believe the best method is regular removal of the oil and filter by removing the pan on the bottom of the transmission (good advice). You should also be aware that some manufacturers, like Honda, have clearly stated not to flush their transmissions in one of their factory bulletins.

As described above the breakdown of the fluid due to heat causes it to not protect the internal moving parts of the transmission. This will greatly shorten the life of your transmission. Overhaul or major repairs run in the area of $1600 to $8000 depending on the extent of internal damage and the type of transmission.

So, I am concluding that somewhere in the neighborhood of 80c degrees is optimal. I will make a few further inquiries this week (hopefully with GM Thailand) and get back with my findings.

2013 truck, warranty yes ? simply :-

Take it in and get them to do a diagnostic check to see that the temperature sensor of the auto trans is operating correctly.

Let us know how you get on. smile.png

Here is what a guy in Oz says...I will see what my Thailand GM guy says this week.

Re: Auto Transmission Fluid Temperature ?

icon_post_target.gifby wingnut » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Re temps in the new Colorardo 4x4 auto,
Had a very interesting chat with the local Detroit/Allison people here in Townsville.
The 6 speed auto in the new collie is a Allison 1000/2000 series box, their coment was that it is a perfect fit behind the 2.8 Durmax deisel.
The temp for these gearbox's can go to 120 deg c and has a fialsafe built in.
If you are towing in 5 gear it should not be a problem ,if the temp strats to rise in hot weather or pulling up a long drag go down another gear as that will put less strain on the box for that operation.
My gearbox has been as high as 106 deg, but normaly sits around 85/90.
If you log on to Allison website and look at the series above you can get the full picture.
  • Like 1

taotoo, on 19 Apr 2014 - 19:16, said:

Never discuss politics, religion, or - apparently - automatic transmission operating temperatures.

..........or tire pressures.

What, what, tyre pressures.............I am here.................cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Cannot find the graph I wanted, so from memory trans oil life and perhaps trans.............sad.png ......Operating temperature and life in Fahrenheit and miles....

Up to 175 deg.................100,000

Up to 195 deg...................50,000

Up to 212 deg...................25,000

above that your stuffed...........sad.png

Just for those who may be interested, here is the information I received from GM Thailand regarding my transmission temps:

After checking with our transmission engineer at the plant, please kindly note that the transmission fluid temperature of 88-91 C is the normal working condition of our transmission.

The high temperature of transmission because the transmission fluid receive high temperature from engine. The XLDE engine model year 2013 uses thermostat to control coolant and it control the minimum stroke to control high temperature of coolant at 95 +/- 2 degree C. It means the engine temperature can rise up to 97 degree C, so the transmission fluid temperature possible to be 97 degree C. The warm engine temperature makes the car to have better emission and fuel consumption.

Regarding the life of the transmission which you have concerned, since we use high transmission fluid grade which is DEXRON 6, the working temperature is not impact to the life of transmission.

Best regards,

Wallop C.

I'm no engineer and definately not a mechanic, but the following phrase..."The warm engine temperature makes the car to have better emission and fuel consumption." seems questionable. It also seems that if I were to have a 'cooler' thermostat installed, that would creat a more positive outcome for both engine life and transmission life.

Any thoughts on that one...?

Edited by tkramer

Just for those who may be interested, here is the information I received from GM Thailand regarding my transmission temps:

I'm no engineer and definately not a mechanic, but the following phrase..."The warm engine temperature makes the car to have better emission and fuel consumption." seems questionable. It also seems that if I were to have a 'cooler' thermostat installed, that would creat a more positive outcome for both engine life and transmission life.

Any thoughts on that one...?

GM Thailand say "The warm engine temperature makes the car to have better emission and fuel consumption." because emissions and fuel economy are usually worse for cold engines. Their statement is not about component life. Engines are designed to operate within a temperature range. Operating outside the range (overheating and cold starts etc) cause most of the wear and damage shortening life. A cooler thermostat should not make much difference if the engine operates at normal temp now.

Simplest thing to help the trans life is to make sure the oil is changed at the appropriate interval. I.E if the trans is getting hot, towing, frequent mountain driving or driven hard shifting at full torque etc => shorten the interval. If you overheat it, change the oil.

Edited by Jitar

GM Thailand say "The warm engine temperature makes the car to have better emission and fuel consumption." because emissions and fuel economy are usually worse for cold engines. Their statement is not about component life. Engines are designed to operate within a temperature range. Operating outside the range (overheating and cold starts etc) cause most of the wear and damage shortening life. A cooler thermostat should not make much difference if the engine operates at normal temp now.

Simplest thing to help the trans life is to make sure the oil is changed at the appropriate interval. I.E if the trans is getting hot, towing, frequent mountain driving or driven hard shifting at full torque etc => shorten the interval. If you overheat it, change the oil.

Just as with engine oil, and especially in this climate, I roll with premium high performance (100% synthetic) transmission fluid plus an after market trans cooler. The combo work together to help put to rest high trans temp conditions occurring in my vehicle plus they help to ensure the transmission's longevity.

For anybody interested, my further up-dates from GM Thailand:

I’ve contacted our powertrain plant engineer and would like to clarify the concern in the forum which you mentioned.

The information from the forum has been brought up from the transmission repair workshop and it is partially correct for older generation automatic transmission and transmission fluid. With the new design of modern automatic transmission and Dexron 6 transmission fluid, the transmission is capable of operating at over 120 degrees with just the scheduled services. The Dexron 6 transmission fluid is designed to operate at these temperatures and will keep the required viscousity and remain durable, even over 120 degrees Celsius. During the research and development phase, this transmission has been validated in much harsher driving condition than normal.

Therefore, please kindly rest assure that the working temperature of automatic transmission fluid in your car is normal.

Best regards,

Wallop C.

• Like 1