Chewing gum?

iainiain101

I took the kids to a well known western restaurant this afternoon.

I was shocked / surprised to see all the serving staff chewing gum. It's hard to tell your kids to eat with their mouths closed when the waitress serves them with a big lump of white gum visible as she places their good down.

I thought perhaps I was being over critical, but as I looked around every waitress was chewing away, serving food, showing people to tables, taking orders or just leaning against walls.

I tried to remember ever seeing this before but can't. Asked my Thai wife on getting home if it is a Thai thing or new fashion, she said no and it was pretty disgusting.

Am I being over fussy, or would this bother other readers?

Iain

Edited by iainiain101

Live and let live... If it bothers you then I'm sure you can find other restaurants. If it makes you feel better, you can let the restaurant manager know but I doubt that they would take it seriously.

Criticism is not welcomed. And if you never go back there again, chances are the management couldn't care less. I've found myself in one or two similar situations over the years; one manageress even told me directly and unequivocally in plain English that she already has enough customers. (There was not another diner in the restaurant at the time!)

They think they don't need you, and that's a totally bassackwards stance on their part, of course.

I went into Subway on Nimman Thursday at about 17:45. There were two employees sitting on the floor behind the register playing "smart" phone games. Sandwich was pretty good, but like they say...appearances are everything. 49 thb ham subs are back. Are theses new fast food employees Burmese by chance? I had heard someone else mention the Burmese in a post about sloppy job performance.

Edited by Thighlander

I went into Subway on Nimman Thursday at about 17:45. There were two employees sitting on the floor behind the register playing "smart" phone games. Sandwich was pretty good, but like they say...appearances are everything. 49 thb ham subs are back. Are theses new fast food employees Burmese by chance? I had heard someone else mention the Burmese in a post about sloppy job performance.

I don't think the Burmese have the corner when it comes to sloppy job performance, whatever that entails. There must be plenty of non-Burmese who can out-sloppy them.

Seems to me that if it is a well known place it would have to be around for quite a while. They must be doing some thing rite. Maybe there is a reason for it. Did you ask?

Perhaps it is just a one day occurrence there. Places don't get to be well known unless people are repeatedly going back to them. They might get well known as a no good place to go and wind up shutting there doors. But that is not what you had heard about them or you more than likely would not have gone.

Seems to me that if it is a well known place it would have to be around for quite a while. They must be doing some thing rite. Maybe there is a reason for it. Did you ask?

Perhaps it is just a one day occurrence there. Places don't get to be well known unless people are repeatedly going back to them. They might get well known as a no good place to go and wind up shutting there doors. But that is not what you had heard about them or you more than likely would not have gone.

It is a new branch of a well known place, I have eaten at the older branches in town and often order from them from meals on wheels. I had never eaten at the new branch, but the kids had been playing at Promenada and we fancied pizza.

Iain

I hate to admit to such prejudice, but I think Singapore has the correct policy when it comes to chewing gum. Nothing makes a person look more ignorant than walking around chewing gum with ones mouth open, unless it might be walking around chewing gum with ones mouth open while wearing a baseball cap turned around backwards, showing the very attractive one size fits all plastic adjuster tab. Add to this a big collection of tattoos, and you've got the look of a complete fool.

Any open section of sidewalk in Chiang Mai has hundred of old gum wads stuck all over. Nothing beats stepping on a fresh one in this broiling weather.

• Like 2