Cnx To Mae Sai

mistymateasia68

I met a fella a few years ago who reckoned he could get from the centre of chiangers to mae sai. Old immigration office in two and half hours. Which I think is <deleted>.

Any other takers......... vehicle and time.

I guess that if he took a plane and had a car waiting for him in Chiang Rai- or lucked out on a bus then it would be possible.

But it would be impossible by road only - for a car...

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

I met a fella a few years ago who reckoned he could get from the centre of chiangers to mae sai. Old immigration office in two and half hours. Which I think is <deleted>.

Piece of cake for almost any of the GT Riders on a motorcycle. 2 1/2 hrs is nothing special!

Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai = 1 hr 45 minutes easy & Chiang Rai - Mae Sai = 40 minutes easy.

There are often times considerably less than this for Ducati / sport bike riders, but times wont be mentioned.

The biggest delay is the traffic lights on the super around Chiang Rai. There are 13 sets of them (if you count out to the airport) & if you get all the red ones then you can lose up to 20 minutes & its fun making up for lost time.

Its not uncommon for a GT Rider to jump on his bike at 5.00 pm & slip up to Chiang Rai (or Pai even) for happy hour.

It must have been me :o I do the trip regularly every couple of weeks, and from the Superhighway turn off on the Doi Saket Road to Chiangrai centre is always around 1 hour 40 minutes. From there to Mae Sai is a breeze depending on the lights leaving Chiangrai, but usually about 35/40 minutes, so it's no spherical ventricles at all.

Even on a CBR150, much smaller than what some of the GTRiders have, I made it up and back, starting at 8 am and returning by 3 pm, including parking and getting my stamp. Starting from RimPing intersection. That's seven hours; I could have done much better on a bigger sportbike.

its 300kms one way. Youd have to average plus 120kms per hour including a fuel stop.Any sportsbikes range is 160kms driven at speed.

Ive done more touring than youve had hot wet dreams. I think its very do able but youd have to run every red light and i think it would be pretty dangerous.

The guy who boasted this was driving a mitsu grandis

its 300kms one way. Youd have to average plus 120kms per hour including a fuel stop.Any sportsbikes range is 160kms driven at speed.

Chiangmai-Chiangrai 175Kms ....Chiangrai-Mae Sai 65Kms................ Troll :o

Just did iy yesterday.......

Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Vios

Hwy 118 to Hwy 1

Left Land & Houses Park, Mae Jo Rd.: 5:45am

Arrived Mae Sai: 9:00am

Cleared Thai Immigration: 9:07

Cleared Myanmar Immigration (In/Out): 9:12

Cleared Thai Immigration: 9:18

Left Mae Sae: 9:30

Arrived Chiangmai: 1:00pm

I was lucky on the trip up, there wasn't any traffic yet! The only lights I got hit with were in Chiang Rai. The trip back was with more traffic but most commercial traffic wasn't heavy. Hardly any trucks in the mountainous areas.

Ive done more touring than youve had hot wet dreams. I think its very do able but youd have to run every red light and i think it would be pretty dangerous.

I've done about 160,000 miles of touring, and it's difficult (but HARD) to have a wet dream while piloting a sportbike through those turns! :o

Ive done more touring than youve had hot wet dreams.

Now there's a bold statement from a young troll. :o You wouldn't even come close to matching my touring miles here, or come to that, those of DavidGTR. Hundreds of thousands of kilometres, with a million plus in Australia, not to mention hundreds of thousands of Kms in Europe.

The Nissan pick up I have just retired had 320.000 Kms on the clock since new, and that's only one of the five I own. Go do your figures and let's see exactly where you've been. I did 2,700 Kms last week alone. DavidGTR could easily be aproaching a million Kms here too.

Call me about sunday dinner if you are reading this David

I'm most likely wrong, but reckon it could be a while since you (Mistymate) did any touring on a big bike (if at all?) & does not understand the good condition of many of North Thailand's roads - you were quoting someone from two years ago!

I also question your touring knowledge : Chiang Mai - Mae Sai = 250 kms, so you're already 50 kms out & that's 30+ minutes on the 4-lane super.

Also there's no need to run any red lights.

If you ride a big bike I wonder if it is something larger than a Phantom 200? Modern sports bikes top out at 250 kph, not that every bike rider travels at the speed for any great distance. Most big bikes can easily do 250-300 kms on a tank of fuel, so there is no need to fuel up Cnx – Mae Sai even.

A good driver or rider is not necessarily dangerous because he travels a bit faster than everyone else.

The best Chiang Mai - Mae Sai times that I know of are well under 2 1/2 hrs with return trips of 5 hrs not uncommon. Its not difficult if you're good and got a fast machine - bike or car, and it's not at all dangerous in the hands of a good smooth driver / rider.

Maejo Man, Sunday dinner & the F1 is good for me. Just back in from Phayao. Only a quick loop Cnx - Lampang - Wang Nua - Phayao & return, safely achieved in madam's car & what a good little driver she is turning out to be under my coaching! Keep the power on dear…….

I’ll keep touring & leave the hot wet dreams for others.

Edited by davidgtr

..... what a good little driver she is turning out to be under my coaching! Keep the power on dear…….

You are a far more courageous man than I, Sir. Gave a couple of lessons to a girlfriend some few years ago - Result - She became an ex! Refused to teach anybody I knowe since then! (Still have nightmares about that episode.)

A good driver or rider is not necessarily dangerous because he travels a bit faster than everyone else.

As my old Police instructor used to say: "It's always safest to keep the potential dangers in front of you!"

Couldn't agree more with your discription and assessment above, although both my old ST and ZZR were both capable of a little more than than the 250 Kmph you quote. A moot point anyway, because I would never dream of doing that speed on almost any road I have ridden, apart from the German Autobahn.

..... what a good little driver she is turning out to be under my coaching! Keep the power on dear…….

You are a far more courageous man than I, Sir. Gave a couple of lessons to a girlfriend some few years ago - Result - She became an ex! Refused to teach anybody I knowe since then! (Still have nightmares about that episode.)

As my old Police instructor used to say: "It's always safest to keep the potential dangers in front of you!"

Couldn't agree more with your description and assessment above, although both my old ST and ZZR were capable of a little more than than the 250 Kmph you quote. A moot point anyway, because I would never dream of doing that speed on almost any road I have ridden, apart from the German Autobahn.

I seem to be the only person on the forum that has problems passing cars, pickups, minivans, etc on the road to Chiang Rai - I always get stuck in long trails of vehicles snaking behind a 20 year old Datsun pickup that is piled high with any old rubbish.

Also, there is the built-up area about halfway to Chiang Mai - where they seem to be taking forever to complete the road!

Is it just me that is held up by these things?

Maejo Man, Sunday dinner & the F1 is good for me. Just back in from Phayao. Only a quick loop Cnx - Lampang - Wang Nua - Phayao & return, safely achieved in madam's car & what a good little driver she is turning out to be under my coaching! Keep the power on dear…….

Sounds like it was a pleasant trip, but madam zoomed away from here when she dropped in the other week.

Roast stuffed loin of pork, roast chicken or roast leg of lamb? Let me know by ten in the morning, for a six o'clock start up lap. I'll have the wine breathing nicely :o

I seem to be the only person on the forum that has problems passing cars, pickups, minivans, etc on the road to Chiang Rai - I always get stuck in long trails of vehicles snaking behind a 20 year old Datsun pickup that is piled high with any old rubbish.

Also, there is the built-up area about halfway to Chiang Mai - where they seem to be taking forever to complete the road!

Is it just me that is held up by these things?

Your departure time is the key.......... get out of town around 5am, you might be back by 12:30.

At %am you get to Chiangrai by 7-7:30 which is still smooth sailing past Big-C and the airport. Your return is also easier.........

wake up early and hit the road!

Oh, they were paving the road yesterday so in a few weeks that will be over

Edited by Diablo Bob

Sounds like it was a pleasant trip, but madam zoomed away from here when she dropped in the other week.

Roast stuffed loin of pork, roast chicken or roast leg of lamb? Let me know by ten in the morning, for a six o'clock start up lap. I'll have the wine breathing nicely :o

Maejo

That's a pit stop too good to refuse. I'll be there on time with madam Meow, but she cant have any wine as she'll be driving.

A few years back we would do the run up and back from Kaew Narawat in my Toyota pick-up including a return walk over the bridge in just on 5 hours, had Eddie Greer (Escape) on board once or twice. Steady but not slow driving with no stops. More than once on my 1100 cc bike whilst chasing my little kiwi mate on his Ducati we have done Mai Sai to Chiang Mai in well under 2 hours each way. No fuel stop required!!

A few years back we would do the run up and back from Kaew Narawat in my Toyota pick-up including a return walk over the bridge in just on 5 hours, had Eddie Greer (Escape) on board once or twice. Steady but not slow driving with no stops. More than once on my 1100 cc bike whilst chasing my little kiwi mate on his Ducati we have done Mai Sai to Chiang Mai in well under 2 hours each way. No fuel stop required!!

Wow! And with a 90KMH speed limit there must have been some seriously open roads :o

Was that the pick up that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding? My mate Unko is here and he said that you never had the balls to go that fast anyway. You even used to fall off on the Ivanhoe Boulevard :o:D

Was that the pick up that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding? My mate Unko is here and he said that you never had the balls to go that fast anyway. You even used to fall off on the Ivanhoe Boulevard :o:D

Hey MJM,

The old pick-up used to maintain a good speed once you wound it up........

I reckon the red wine has got to Unko, aka Fearless Leader and more appropriately Fuc**ng Lunatic. It wasn't the Boulevard where the old '76 Ducati SS came to grief but Upper Heidelberg Rd. The Boulevard claimed my XY falcon, booze and youth......and still alive. Bloody hel_l that was a long time ago.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Hey MJM,

The old pick-up used to maintain a good speed once you wound it up........

I reckon the red wine has got to Unko, aka Fearless Leader and more appropriately Fuc**ng Lunatic. It wasn't the Boulevard where the old '76 Ducati SS came to grief but Upper Heidelberg Rd. The Boulevard claimed my XY falcon, booze and youth......and still alive. Bloody hel_l that was a long time ago.

:o:D:D

We were sitting here after dinner, quite sober, and looking at posts trying to put real names to some of the TV nicks.

"Jeeze says Unko that's a bloody rude prick that Blinky Bill" ...."yeah" says I "he certainly gave poor old Scotty a pasting" ....."who do we know that's that bloody rude?" says Unko....."I know" I said....."It's that loud mouthed prick from Ivanhoe" :D He agreed!!

Nice to see you mate :D Drop by next time in town, in the meantine take it easy.......

Open invitation miserymateasia to come along for a free ride on the 23rd :o Oh, and bring a stop watch :D

Open invitation miserymateasia to come along for a free ride on the 23rd :o Oh, and bring a stop watch :D

Want to try to catch me on the bike? We'll get the crazy kiwi out as well.