Domino’s Pizza Hits Thailand

Lite Beer

Good Pizza, a welcome entrant to the arena if you ask me.

And lets face it... At 4 in the morning you cant really pick a good pizza from a bad one, you just get to work out which one tastes best with alcohol come downs.

Dominos always got my vote on that one.

I'm going to make a guess that you are British and think an English breakfast is also great.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find NAPLES is the place where pizza originated - you know, in Italy ... I have a New Yorker acquaintance who swears black is white that pizza was invented there, and now we have Chicagoans muscling in. Who cares, as long as it tastes good. The Thai stuff is muck, that's for sure.

I believe the Italians borrowed pizza and pasta. Pizza from the Greeks (Pita) and noodles from the Chinese.

Personally I don't much like the cardboard like thin dry crusts of local Italian pizza. Chicago style is much better IMHO.

I have only seen Domino's on Sukhumvit - any other locations in Bangkok cause I understand their delivery radius is pretty tight.

There's one on On Nut Road, been there for a few months. Never ordered from it so can't vouch for the quality of the pizzas.

Good Pizza, a welcome entrant to the arena if you ask me.

And lets face it... At 4 in the morning you cant really pick a good pizza from a bad one, you just get to work out which one tastes best with alcohol come downs.

Dominos always got my vote on that one.

I don't think that being a professional food critic is in your future.

Edited by aguy30

Will it be Domino's Pizza or will it be Domino's Thai Pizza? Pizza Hut was one of my favorite chain pizza places in the US, but the Thai version was lost in translation.

I agree. Pizza Hut and Domino's in America are much better than any pizza that you can get in Thailand, but they are not the same here. They are considered very mediocre pizzas in America, but far outshine anything in LOS. Pizza Hut does not even sell a version with a New York Crust in Thailand, which is the norm in USA. Pizza Hut is even worse in the Philippines though.

• Like 2

Domino's Pizza is way more delicious than PizzaHut, Pizza Company etc.... I had ordered a couple of times now with them. I don't understand why this is news? They are already here.

Edited by Lammbock

Another bad pizza even worse the other two

Sent from my C1904 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just reading about it, it seems another US chain that abuses the word Pizza for their strange products.

Seems to be a USA chain selling out to a Thai company that will abuse the word pizza. Fried chicken crust? Are you kidding me? As others have pointed out, in other threads, if the quality was the level of what Domono's offers in the USA it would be the best pizza in Thailand. Unfortunately it won't be even similar. For the record Domino's is on the bottom of the totem pole back home but would be considered great over here. Until then the cracker, Italian style pizzas will rule the day here. So all you Italians that bought a pizza oven can breath easy, you are still in a job for the moment.

• Like 1

What we need is a Costco here.Their 18" pizza for $10 is hard to beat and one of the best. My Thai wife loved it while visiting The States.

An 18 inch pizza...?

I know you Americans love to eat big but that's ridiculous! wink.png

I new a place in Canada that had an 18" but it was the small. Large was 36"

And it was square, deep dish licklips.gif

I have no idea what this OP article is talking about.

There already is a Domino's franchisee in Thailand, and they already have a bunch of locations scattered around Bangkok. And according to the Domino's Thailand website, it is the FICO Food outfit mentioned in the OP. But it's hardly any kind of new thing as the news report would suggest.

I believe Domino's just recently celebrated their one-year anniversary for operating in Thailand.

http://www.dominospizza.co.th/

Their website currently lists some 10 different already operating shop locations, nine around BKK and one in Pattaya.

In Dec 2012

Domino's Pizza will open and first store at One Fenix Square, Sukhumvit 22, Bangkok

Fico Food with extensive experience in the hotel and retail business is the exclusive franchisee for Domino’s Pizza in Thailand.

http://www.dominospizza.co.th/history

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

What we need is a Costco here.Their 18" pizza for $10 is hard to beat and one of the best. My Thai wife loved it while visiting The States.

An 18 inch pizza...?

Not only do we like big pizzas, we like big steaks. Reference The Big Texan Steak House.

post-162723-0-89323000-1397993587_thumb.

Soon after the original Route 66 Big Texan open it’s doors in 1960, owner Bob (RJ) Lee was amazed at how many REAL Texas Cowboys, were coming in for his HUGE TEXAS SIZE STEAKS, that his menu offered. He also saw how much fun his out of town patrons & visitors were having watching these true Texans trying to “out do” each others carnivorous appetites. Most of his Big Cowboys dinners came from a near-by stockyard operation, & would stop in after a long days work. Friday’s was payday at the stockyard & he would cash their paychecks & offer 25 cent beer.

One Friday, he put several tables together in the center of the dinning room & sat all the cowboys together & told them he wanted to see who could eat the most one pound steaks in an hour. The cost was $5 per eater & whoever ate the most got to keep the entire entry-fee.

The rules were simple; you could not get up during the contest or have anyone help you eat, you did not have to eat the fat & if you got sick, you were out.

The cowboys put in their money,took a seat & the contest was on, steaks were flying.

One of the eaters took the lead by swallowing two steaks in ten minutes.

Next,he politely requested a salad & a shrimp cocktail be served with his third steak. He consumed the extras, then this soft spoken giant called for his fourth steak & ask for a baked potato & a bread roll. He wasted little time on devouring those items & called for his fifth steak.

As the hour contest came to an end, this gastronomic superman had eaten:

4 & 1/2 pounds of steak, (which is 72 oz’s) baked potato,shrimp cocktail,salad & a bread roll.

In his amazement & delight of the crowd, Owner Bob (RJ) Lee stood up on a chair in the middle of the dinning room to proclaimed that: “from this day forward, anyone who could eat the entire 72 oz dinner-in one hour– gets it for FREE.

Meal consists of: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72 oz. Steak

• Like 1

An 18 inch pizza...?

Not only do we like big pizzas, we like big steaks. Reference The Big Texan Steak House.

attachicon.gif72ozsteak.jpg

Soon after the original Route 66 Big Texan open it’s doors in 1960, owner Bob (RJ) Lee was amazed at how many REAL Texas Cowboys, were coming in for his HUGE TEXAS SIZE STEAKS, that his menu offered. He also saw how much fun his out of town patrons & visitors were having watching these true Texans trying to “out do” each others carnivorous appetites. Most of his Big Cowboys dinners came from a near-by stockyard operation, & would stop in after a long days work. Friday’s was payday at the stockyard & he would cash their paychecks & offer 25 cent beer.

One Friday, he put several tables together in the center of the dinning room & sat all the cowboys together & told them he wanted to see who could eat the most one pound steaks in an hour. The cost was $5 per eater & whoever ate the most got to keep the entire entry-fee.

The rules were simple; you could not get up during the contest or have anyone help you eat, you did not have to eat the fat & if you got sick, you were out.

The cowboys put in their money,took a seat & the contest was on, steaks were flying.

One of the eaters took the lead by swallowing two steaks in ten minutes.

Next,he politely requested a salad & a shrimp cocktail be served with his third steak. He consumed the extras, then this soft spoken giant called for his fourth steak & ask for a baked potato & a bread roll. He wasted little time on devouring those items & called for his fifth steak.

As the hour contest came to an end, this gastronomic superman had eaten:

4 & 1/2 pounds of steak, (which is 72 oz’s) baked potato,shrimp cocktail,salad & a bread roll.

In his amazement & delight of the crowd, Owner Bob (RJ) Lee stood up on a chair in the middle of the dinning room to proclaimed that: “from this day forward, anyone who could eat the entire 72 oz dinner-in one hour– gets it for FREE.

Meal consists of: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72 oz. Steak

JEEEEEZZZZZ.

That almost beats Jester's cafe in Yarmouth Englandshire...They have a rather large breakfast.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab171/cortina956/breakfast120130ns630ok.jpg

Domino's has already been here for a few years. For factory line pizzas it is suprisingly good, tho I have not tried them in Thailand. In fact there are a lot of negative reviews on Trip Advisor about the Thai outlets in Bangkok saying the pizzas are smaller than the Domino's you know from home and reports of massive bungling and delays of orders.

They have Domino's in Jakarta and they seem to be doing well there, or at least two years ago they were. Good solid pizza as well, no half size stuff with hot buffalo and detachable hot dog rim mayonaise frosted rims either. Long lines everytime I went in. Seems Indonesians go for Pizza more than Thais however. They seemed to have more pizza places, or at least in my neighborhood. There's a chain run by a Lebanese guy that's big in Jakarta called Canada Pizza or something, they have a Canadian flag on the boxes anyway. In addition there's Pizza Hut and Dominoes and I don't think Indonesians have nearly the disposable income for pizza that most Thais do.

Not sure pizza is all that big in Thailand. We had an extended family New Years party a few years ago, with lots of Thai and western food, the only thing no one touched were the pizzas. Good pizza from Via Vai on Sukhumvit Soi 8 as well. A few other times I have suggested to my Thai inlaws we go out for pizza and the reaction is unanimous vague sort of thumbs down. That and the kind of grotesque things that are done in the name of pizza at Pizza Company to try and convince Thais to eat pizza doesn't seem to bode well for Domino's.

I hope Domino's can get it together and maybe sell normal generous sized Domino's pizza. I like their pizza, it is as most people on here are saying vastly better than Pizza Company/Thai Pizza Hut. If you like pizza with lots of cheese a Domino's pizza will make you happy. Working hot buffalo chicken into the dough makes you wonder if there's going to be more than just token amounts of cheese on these pizzas.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

If and only if Thailand Dominos could make the pizzas the same as we get from Dominos Australia then I'm in. I just hope that the squirting of that sweetish mayonnaise on the top (like some places do) doesn't happen. I really haven't had a decent pizza in Thailand yet and stopped buying them years ago.

If you are going to do it, do it right, the proper International taste way, with the proper ingredients, then you will succeed.

I never eat pizza in Thailand !

The American company's have a miserable taste comparing to a real Italian restaurant in Europe !

Try to store a pizza a half day in a dry place and it beginn to smell!

Also some us company's using a low quality fat , that reduce your apettite !

It's same with there low fat jokes!

Does that mean there will some guy standing at every corner with a bill board?

Well at least in Thailand they will not need to wear Spider-man costumes and the such like to disguise themselves to stop anyone from the benefits office recognizing them.

Thailand should hit Dominos back. There's enough quality Italian wood-fired pizza joints around now that this second rate pizza hut stuff is no longer required. They got here 10 years too late (and I do believe they have been here for at least 5 years anyway).

• Like 1

Great pizza if you like cardboard with tomato sauce and a little cheese. Dominoes was the worst of all the franchise pizza places. It made the cheap frozen supermarket pizza seem pretty good in comparison.

I just looked at the Dominoes website and I have to admit the current pizzas don't look anything like the pathetic skimpy version they served in their early days. It was really bad.

Their extravaganza pizza looks interesting and not even close to their early offerings with tasteless ground and crumbled toppings. I will try them a second time and make a judgment call on what they now offer.

Thailand should hit Dominos back. There's enough quality Italian wood-fired pizza joints around now that this second rate pizza hut stuff is no longer required. They got here 10 years too late (and I do believe they have been here for at least 5 years anyway).

Most "Italian" style Thai pizza is on a crisp cracker like crust with minimal sauce and toppings. The toppings are boring. If that is what you like you are welcome to it. A New York, Chicago or California style pizza is much better tasting and much more substance.

The Domino website says they open the first Thai store Dec 2012.

• Like 1

There's enough quality Italian wood-fired pizza joints around now that this second rate pizza hut stuff is no longer required.

Most of the Italian wood-fired pizza joints in Thailand are a lot less than second rate. Thailand is the hub of lousy pizzas.

Most "Italian" style Thai pizza is on a crisp cracker like crust with minimal sauce and toppings. The toppings are boring. If that is what you like you are welcome to it. A New York, Chicago or California style pizza is much better tasting and much more substance.

Just to let you into a little secret, Italian pizzas depend on which part of Italy you eat them, to say that all Italian styles are the same is like saying that all candy is the same. Mama's home made pizza multo bene!!

You can't beat authenticity for Italian food. Fresh ingredients and loads of olive oil..

You can keep you're bastardized version of our pizza.

• Like 2

If my memory serves me correctly there was some years back a presence of Domino's Pizza here in Thailand. Personally I always found their products somewhat superior to their then competitors.

Indeed welcome news the return of Domino's Pizza.

I know for a fact in the mid-90s there was a Dominos on Sukhumvit 71 and also one on Chang Wattana.

I loved their Taco Pizza.

Just to let you into a little secret, Italian pizzas depend on which part of Italy you eat them, to say that all Italian styles are the same is like saying that all candy is the same. Mama's home made pizza multo bene!!

You can't beat authenticity for Italian food. Fresh ingredients and loads of olive oil..

The best pizza I ever ate was in Sardinia.

• Like 1

If I had a pie craving & was stuck in Bangkok, 1) The Pizza Company & 2) Pizza Hut, but whatever I didn't finish after that sitting I would walk it out then & there to the trash bin. So far best pizza in Thailand have been at non-franchise restaurants/bars in the more outskirts areas, like Issan & Krabi (mainland).

The Dominos Thai version as in quality is...much, much different than I've tasted/seen in the USA.

In America, "pre-prepared" or fast food chains gave destroyed real pizza everywhere except in those struggling hard to find mom & pop shops. Such as "Big Mamas" (small chain, but closer to fresh), "Joe Peeps" "Barones"...etc., even in New York, the "New York Style" is just about gone, surrendered to "reheated", process-everything cheaper varieties.

Had Dominos twice in BK over the past 6-7 months. There's one straightforward test you can always do with a pizza to check "topping" quality, and this Dominos was interesting. Just put it on a plate (1 slice), into the frig & wait for morning. If it still looks like cheese and soft (given most refrigerated Mozzy), it's cheese, but if it has solidified than it's processed.

Finally if the cheese looks like a translucent, congealed glue-like substance. That is, if you can only lightly see the white cheese color, but mostly see clear through to the sauce underneath. It's obviously fake cheese of unknown ingredients. In addition if the toppings are not only few & largely spaced in identical grouping, of exactly the same amount (counted) for every pizza. At that point you can be sure you have the (omitted) version.

(Understanding the rules, will not say anything directly negative about Thai or any Thai business in Thailand)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thanks. I prefer British "Indian food" to the original too, but still I like both.

Yep. British Indian food is like magic! apparently it's like the Punjabi Indian food, which sadly not many Indian people actually eat. 90% of the people I work with are Indian but their diets don't go far past Dahl and Mutton or egg curry.