Norwegian Seriously injured in 2nd floor fall from Jomtien Hotel

webfact

Norwegian Seriously injured in 2nd floor fall from Jomtien Hotel

norway-4.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Sunday Morning Police and rescue workers were called to a Hotel in Jomtien to investigate reports of a foreign man who had fallen from a low floor at the Hotel, but was seriously injured.

Arriving at the scene, medics attended to the 52 year old Norwegian who was lying underneath his 2nd floor apartment. He had sustained a serious head injury and was in a semi-conscious state.

Khun Nanglat aged 37 is the wife of a friend of the victim and told Police that the man was known to drink heavily and when drunk would become paranoid that someone wanted to kill him. It is thought this state of paranoia led him to jump off his 2nd floor balcony.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/125657/norwegian-seriously-injured-in-2nd-floor-fall-from-jomtien-hotel/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-04-21

I like to drink alcohol, sometimes i have 1 too many. I enjoy sitting on our balcony, i have never thought of jumping though. The only way in the future that i would go over that top rail is if i was thrown over it. If this happens it would be down to my wife.

Although this story could be true, he might not have jumped, and to be honest all these balcony incidents seem to happen to foreign men that are quite old... Could there be a reason for it?? Emm??? Anyway hope the guy makes a full recovery, and next time gets a room on the ground floor.

Why is it always assumed people are attempting suicide? I reckon many of these 'jumpers' are likely accidents. Balconies in Thai hotels/condos are notoriously low and many farang are tall/overweight/like a drink. Not saying I'm either of the above but on many occasions have felt nervy when leaning against these low balconies as the weight shifts. Just sayin.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

Would be interesting to compare figures of similar incidents from other countries, or for that matter, balcony-related mishaps in Thailand that involve Thais.

gr8fldanielle. Hope U are joking. We are not in a kindergarten. We are talking of adults where a mill. signs make no difference. Vaste of money.

Okay, so we can take safety belts out from the cars too and stop using helmets.. Let's get rid of all building safety codes too so I can make more money when doing construction as I don't need to install all kinds of safety equipment etc..

• Like 1

Having observed the construction of condo blocks here, I would not risk leaning against any balcony here. I just don't feel that the balcony rails are anchored properly to the main fabric of the building, to give 100% safety......

As a Thai builder who does work for me says....."corruption here affects the quality in all aspects of building work in this country

And that, I am sad to say, will stop this lovely country moving forward at the pace of others.

sad.png

Edited by DD13

gr8fldanielle. Hope U are joking. We are not in a kindergarten. We are talking of adults where a mill. signs make no difference. Vaste of money.

Okay, so we can take safety belts out from the cars too and stop using helmets.. Let's get rid of all building safety codes too so I can make more money when doing construction as I don't need to install all kinds of safety equipment etc..

What You talking about FinChin67 ?? You compare mentioned safety codes with a sign: "Do not lean out". You must be joking too. If not, then be careful You don't fall out from a balcony if no sign....

From what I've seen balcony heights are 1/2 m Not the 1 metre they should be (39 inches)

Most have a "step-up" which means ALL I have seen are way undersized.

And No it's not expensive to add a rail to raise the centre of gravity protection he and many others need.

Why is it always assumed people are attempting suicide? I reckon many of these 'jumpers' are likely accidents. Balconies in Thai hotels/condos are notoriously low and many farang are tall/overweight/like a drink. Not saying I'm either of the above but on many occasions have felt nervy when leaning against these low balconies as the weight shifts. Just sayin.

Would be interesting to compare figures of similar incidents from other countries, or for that matter, balcony-related mishaps in Thailand that involve Thais.

No, that wouldn't be in the least bit interesting to anyone of reasonable intelligence

What You talking about FinChin67 ?? You compare mentioned safety codes with a sign: "Do not lean out". You must be joking too. If not, then be careful You don't fall out from a balcony if no sign....

No, not joking. I read your other post too.

Balconies. So what ? Ignorant, stupid and drunk people die and have accidents in trafic too. Motorbikes and vehicles fault. No. Up to You to take care when possible

Yes, there is personal responsibility and at no point I have not said otherwise. From your comments it's easy to understand that it is always the persons fault who falls. Why build any railings then? Why do we have ANY warning signs like for live wires etc.? Oh, you know what to touch and what not. Next time when you travel to a hotel or take a cruise please DO ignore all the signs.

From what I've seen balcony heights are 1/2 m Not the 1 metre they should be (39 inches)

Most have a "step-up" which means ALL I have seen are way undersized.

And No it's not expensive to add a rail to raise the centre of gravity protection he and many others need.

I have done that in several buildings. It's not only the height but how these are fastened/anchored to the floor and wall. In MANY cases the metal plates (or other systems) are just way too weak to hold a normal person. Weldings that are not properly done can crack easily too. Not to mention that sometimes when there is a party several people can lean over or push against the railing. You want these kid proof too..

Edited by FinChin67

According to these official statistics from the US http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/acc-inj.htm , the death rate from "unintentional falls" is 8.4 per 100,000. Only slightly less than deaths from traffic accidents at 10.9 per 100,000 and unintentional poisoning at 10.9 per 100,000.

If we assume there are 200,000 permanent western residents in Thailand, plus say 10 million tourists (50% of the TAT official tourist visitors of circa 20 million), then at least 30 western deaths in Thailand from balcony type falls per annum is probably within comparable statistical probability.

Edited by Gsxrnz

I agree.

Balconies here are a lot more dangerous than those of th west which have a railing that is higherto accomodate taller people, and also most westerners have a lot of upper body mass compared with locals, and just leaning over a low railing especially when pissed can cause a person to flip over.

Which is why I refrain from even leaning over a Thai balcony. Probably two thirds of my boy weight is above my hips, and Thai balconies are about hip height to me.

That guy looks quite tall with a large upper body mass.

+1....I agree.

They should install trampolines at the base of all hotels in Pattaya and Phuket so they can bounce back into their room.

Nice thought but, yes. Its comedy. How about nets just below the balconies? They could be decorated with vines or something.

Seriously. Think about it. They would provide shade for the balcony below.

If this was Australia the government would be putting them in "building regulations".