Physical punishment

stevenl

Second time I have seen this, this time on the sidewalk right in front of my shop.

A motorbike rider pulled over by police, riding without helmet but my guess is he was pulled over because of modified exhaust, was told to do push ups because he did not have any money or DL with him. Everybody out and laughing, excellent punishment IMO, and for sure fun for everybody (but one).

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

What if the guy refused to do the pushes up? The police officer then leaves himself with very few options, possiblY zero options, and the guy is just told to ride away.

Then, who loses more "face?"

Public humiliation does not create repect, in fact, it breeds anger, and contempt, which ultimately leads to revenge.

What if the guy refused to do the pushes up? The police officer then leaves himself with very few options, possiblY zero options, and the guy is just told to ride away.

Public humiliation does not create repect, in fact, it breeds anger, and contempt, which ultimately leads to revenge.

What do you mean, 'no options'. He can take the guy's motorbike key, to be returned upon payment of the fine.

I find this a much better solution, which will IMO have a better effect that a fine.

• Like 1

What do you mean, 'no options'. He can take the guy's motorbike key, to be returned upon payment of the fine.

I find this a much better solution, which will IMO have a better effect that a fine.

I disagree.

Nothing good can ever come out of embarrassing someone in public, especially in Thai culture.

Very unprofessional by the police officer, and as another member states, an abuse of power.

Nowhere in Thai law does this police officer have the right to enforce this punishment upon a member of the public.

He is not the judge, jury and executioner, so to speak.

I can see how it would have been funny to those who saw it, but really, what did it achieve?

After his push ups, the guy probably got back on his bike, with no helmet, and the loud exhaust, and rode off, and all that was left, was the power trip the police officer was on.

Edited by NamKangMan

I disagree.

Nothing good can ever come out of embarrassing someone in public, especially in Thai culture.

Very unprofessional by the police officer, and as another member states, an abuse of power.

Nowhere in Thai law does this police office have the right to enforce this punishment upon a member of the public.

I can see how it would have been funny to those who saw it, but really, what did it achieve?

After his push ups, the guy probably got back on his bike, with no helmet, and the loud exhaust, and rode off, and all that was left, was the power trip the police officer was on.

Glad you agree the officer had other options.

I think this is a better punishment than 500 Baht fine, so we agree to disagree.

I disagree.

Nowhere in Thai law does this police office have the right to enforce this punishment upon a member of the public.

I think this is a better punishment than 500 Baht fine, so we agree to disagree.

Well, I'm saying, the police officer should have followed procedure. Not handing out his own "fine" so to speak.

Edited by NamKangMan

I disagree.

“Nowhere in Thai law..”...and there’s the rub, the rule of law does not apply there. However, should this start a trend and a porky farang is pulled over and ordered by Sgt Somchai to do 25 pushes, I fear we may be looking at a few more, if not unusual, reported suicides.

I disagree.

“Nowhere in Thai law..”...and there’s the rub, the rule of law does not apply there. However, should this start a trend and a porky farang is pulled over and ordered by Sgt Somchai to do 25 pushes, I fear we may be looking at a few more, if not unusual, reported suicides.

Well, you know how things are on Phuket. What starts out as a few road side push ups, ends up as monthly "tea money": corrupt payments. cheesy.gif

I like the idea of push-up punishment for minor offences for youngsters who don't necessary have the money for fines.

The idea of fines and punishment should be to stop unwanted behavior, not to collect money.

I guess the boys who did the push-ups, learned quite fast not to do the office again.

I like the idea of push-up punishment for minor offences for youngsters who don't necessary have the money for fines.

The idea of fines and punishment should be to stop unwanted behavior, not to collect money.

I guess the boys who did the push-ups, learned quite fast not to do the office again.

Maybe they should be hearded into football stadiums and stoned to death before the match. That will stop their "unwanted behaviour." smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Maybe they should be hearded into football stadiums and stoned to death before the match. That will stop their "unwanted behaviour." smile.png

Yes, we already know you don't like it.

Or maybe just take the event and punishment as they were without trying to extrapolate it to the alternative dark energy filled reality, which you often like to call as Planet Phuket.

Or maybe just take the event and punishment as they were without trying to extrapolate it to the alternative dark energy filled reality, which you often like to call as Planet Phuket.

Welcome, to the dark side. :) :)

Welcome, to the dark side. smile.pngsmile.png

Nah. You on the other hand should start taking photographs. It's the best way to see the light. You can start by taking night photos so that the change would not be too fast.

A much better punishment would have been to make the yob feed the motorbike into the crusher !

How do you know he/she was a yob?

What do you call someone who modifies the exhaust on a motorbike so they sound like earthmoving machinery

An enthusiast! What, again, does that have to do with them being a yob?

Also louder exhausts are safer, at least you can hear them coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A much better punishment would have been to make the yob feed the motorbike into the crusher !

What do you call someone who modifies the exhaust on a motorbike so they sound like earthmoving machinery

How does imbecile sound to you

A Harley owner? Is geezer a valid word to describe a senior citizen yob?

Coming from a man that uses a know criminal as his meme, fitting would be my choice

A Harley owner? Is geezer a valid word to describe a senior citizen yob?

It was not a harley probably a click or wave and the only bike in the family

Good punishment a hundred push ups, why deprive the rest of the family of transport by confiscating the bike which they could do

Sent by smoke signal from my camp fire

Edited by nedkellylives

Coming from a man that uses a know criminal as his meme, fitting would be my choice

Criminal to the police but a hero to a lot of the general population, he did not like paying tea money cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Criminal to the police but a hero to a lot of the general population, he did not like paying tea money cheesy.gif

Same can be said of Osama Bin Laden......

Police have been doing the face loosing thing to crims here for a very long time, nothing wrong with getting the kid to do a few push ups and make him feel an idiot.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I disagree.

But 500 baht is the fine by law. This cop essentially broke the law, even flouted it by making the person perform to his humiliation.

Isn't this kind of selective enforcement exactly what Thailand needs to curtail?