Obama to shun Anwar Ibrahim on Malaysia visit

webfact

Obama to shun Anwar Ibrahim on Malaysia visit
Lindsay Murdoch
SOUTH-EAST ASIA CORRESPONDENT FOR FAIRFAX MEDIA

WASHINGTON: -- Making the first visit by a US president to Malaysia in almost half a century, Barack Obama plans to shun Anwar Ibrahim, the country’s popular opposition leader who faces jail on a sodomy charge that is widely seen as politically motivated.

But Dr Anwar, sentenced to five years jail on the rarely used colonial-era charge in March, stopped short of criticising Mr Obama, saying a meeting would have been “consistent with US democratic ideals and its foreign policy of promoting freedom and justice.”

US officials briefing reporters in Washington ahead of Mr Obama’s week-long tour of Japan, South Korea, Malaysia and the Philippines, which starts on Tuesday, said there are no plans for Mr Obama to meet Dr Anwar, although they did not rule out a lower-level meeting.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/obama-to-shun-anwar-ibrahim-on-malaysia-visit-20140422-zqxm5.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-04-22

He's more like Dalai Lama fighting for injustice, Anwar have been deputy Prime Minister and finance minister before but this guy is clean in any politic arena hero always die young due to he anti corruption he put into jail .

He got majority vote more then 55 % during last election but since it's not fair election the ruling government still able to vote buying to gain in power.

Obama would not meet him in official even but still in discussion as Anwar like icon of righteousness for some Malaysian people.

• Like 2

It appears there's just a wee bit of bias reflected here....both in the original story and some of the responses. Somebody asks a staffer in Washington if there were any plans on the formal presidential schedule to meet Dr. Anwar. The answer (at least noted in the press story) by the staffer is "there are no plans for Mr Obama to meet Dr Anwar, although they did not rule out a lower-level meeting."

After that, someone conjures up the word "shun?" Not in my dictionary.

Edited by CMBob
  • Like 2

Imagine. The US actually standing behind it's so called democratic ideals, and committing an act of courage. Let us not piss off the real leaders. They do not like Anwar, so I should not visit him. This man child, who is the leader of the free world never has to worry about committing an act of courage, or demonstrating moral power. He does not have it in his willowy little body, nor his flaccid mind. And I say this as an american who voted for him. But, only the first time. He quickly showed me who he really was. He should be visiting Anwar to demonstrate the tremendous bias, and lack of judgment the govt. made when they went after him and arrested him on trumped up charges. That would be the right thing to do. But, imaging this tiny man doing the right thing? I cannot.

Imagine Obama visiting a leader of a nearby country, overthrown in a coup, who's party still runs the country, but may be overthrown by a minority party in a judicial coup. You would be crying a river about it.

Best to just delete ideas and viewpoints that you do not want to hear ... you who bleat about "timy men" perhaps the mods can help you?

biggrin.png

It appears there's just a wee bit of bias reflected here....both in the original story and some of the responses. Somebody asks a staffer in Washington if there were any plans on the formal presidential schedule to meet Dr. Anwar. The answer (at least noted in the press story) by the staffer is "there are no plans for Mr Obama to meet Dr Anwar, although they did not rule out a lower-level meeting."

After that, someone conjures up the word "shun?" Not in my dictionary.

I agree. The headline writer made a dumb-ass choice, using the word 'shun.' Whomever wrote that headline should be docked a day's pay and made to eat their lunch sitting on the toilet.

Anyone familiar with Malaysia's screwed-up politics can picture how Malaysian authorities, probably the top man himself, strongly suggested to Obama's handlers that the prez not meet with Anwar. Obama doesn't want to offend Malaysian officialdom (Muslims are soooooooo easily offended). As the article mentioned, the two men may still meet during this tour. If I was the wagering type, I'd bet they're going to meet.

Imagine. The US actually standing behind it's so called democratic ideals, and committing an act of courage. Let us not piss off the real leaders. They do not like Anwar, so I should not visit him. This man child, who is the leader of the free world never has to worry about committing an act of courage, or demonstrating moral power. He does not have it in his willowy little body, nor his flaccid mind. And I say this as an american who voted for him. But, only the first time. He quickly showed me who he really was. He should be visiting Anwar to demonstrate the tremendous bias, and lack of judgment the govt. made when they went after him and arrested him on trumped up charges. That would be the right thing to do. But, imagine this tiny man doing the right thing? I cannot.

Imagine Obama visiting a leader of a nearby country, overthrown in a coup, who's party still runs the country, but may be overthrown by a minority party in a judicial coup. You would be crying a river about it.

Best to just delete ideas and viewpoints that you do not want to hear ... you who bleat about "timy men" perhaps the mods can help you?

biggrin.png

What on earth are you carrying on about? Are you actually apologizing for the blundering Barry? And why would I want to delete contrary ideas? I love contrary ideas. It is most of my liberal friends who hate them. I am a lifetime liberal, who has recently discovered the wonders of an open mind, and independent thinking. So, I am not towing the party line. Who gives a crap? Certainly not I.

What on earth are you carrying on about? Are you actually apologizing for the blundering Barry? And why would I want to delete contrary ideas? I love contrary ideas. It is most of my liberal friends who hate them. I am a lifetime liberal, who has recently discovered the wonders of an open mind, and independent thinking.

Congratulations on becoming a free thinker. Many never achieve this plateau of consciousness.

I am sincere with this congratulatory post.

I doubt that this president or most other presidents have the full authority to decide what and whom they are going to see. The host country will make certain demands and the visit may be canceled if there isn't compliance.

If the president is going to strengthen a strategic military alliance and partnership, then it's probably best not to tick-off the host country.

If he is going to promote gay rights, then he might want to meet with Anwar. Of course, in that case Anwar wouldn't want to meet with the President because he denies being gay. I think his wife would probably get a little upset as well.