Philippines has slowest internet in Southeast Asia

webfact

Philippines has slowest internet in Southeast Asia

philippines-internet-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Despite being regarded as the social media capital of the world, the Philippines has the slowest internet speed in the entire Southeast Asian region and is ranked 158th out of 190 countries worldwide, the Philippine Daily Inquirer reported.

According to the Net Index (www.netindex.com) rankings by internet broadband testing company Ookla, Philippines has an average speed of 3.54 Megabits per second (Mbps).

In comparison, Hong Kong has 77 Mbps putting it first in the world, while the Philippines’ Southeast Asian neighbor Singapore is second with 65 Mbps as of the April 2014 rankings.

Thailand has an average speed of 17.92 Mbps (48th worldwide), Vietnam has 13 Mbps (61st), Cambodia has 5.74 Mbps (116th), Malaysia has 5.4 Mbps (122nd), Brunei has 5.3 Mbps (125th), Myanmar has 5.22 Mbps (127th), Laos has 4.33 Mbps (143rd), and Indonesia has 4.19 mbps (148th).

Ookla says in its website that it creates the rankings through its NetMetrics Database that obtains network test “of internet, mobile, fiber, and even satellite network.”

The Net Index rankings is “powered by billions of aggregated NetMetrics data and is a free and powerful advocate we created to help the global Internet computing community get the most from their broadband provider and enhance their connected lifestyle,” Ookla said.

Other Asian countries that rank within the top 50 are South Korea which has an average speed of 52.9Mbps (4th), Japan with 41.1 Mbps (9th), and China with 19.04 Mbps (45th).

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/philippines-slowest-internet-southeast-asia/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-22

jayjayjayjay, on 22 Apr 2014 - 16:18, said:

Pooofth.... 17.92Mbps.... All three systems i have DTAC 3G, Pacific and True all have been running at about 0.1792 Mbps average for the last week. I could walk to Europe quicker than we can Skype at the moment!

Really is a joke... it is well known that popular Ookla sites (aka speedtest.net) are cached in Thailand, giving false/faked readings, even if you "think" you are testing to an overseas server.

I like the competition between internet provider last time 599 Baht only 8 MB now TOT are offering 10 MB with same price true have to follow. Facebook founder are planning shoot from orbit into earth for free hope he can success and we not have to worry about net being cut for not paying bill.

Edited by Bkungbank

I would guess that 90% (if not more) OOKLA based speedtests, initiated from Thailand, had been cheated by our honest ISP's.

It's not just caching, but connections to well known OOKLA servers are NOT throttled in any way!

You can check this by manually downloading the test files from OOKLA servers around the world, without using their flash based software.

They do this, because even the greatest noob realizes nowadays (or should), that a ping of 30 ms to Europe is faster than light....tongue.png

So, who wonders about that result...

OK - I'm a sample of one person - but I'm in a hotel in Manila now and I can access TV faster than using True in Bangkok - both on the hotel WIFI and using 3G from Globe.

So the annoying ads on TV are marginally less annoying when I access the site from the Philippines.

Could be in the gigabytes in Thailand, but as long as the international bandwidth is heavily throttled, who cares about the speed inside Thailand. Speedtest's figures are useless, because the ISP's fake the servers, it's always only up until BKK.

I would guess that 90% (if not more) OOKLA based speedtests, initiated from Thailand, had been cheated by our honest ISP's.

It's not just caching, but connections to well known OOKLA servers are NOT throttled in any way!

You can check this by manually downloading the test files from OOKLA servers around the world, without using their flash based software.

They do this, because even the greatest noob realizes nowadays (or should), that a ping of 30 ms to Europe is faster than light....tongue.png

The speed of light is roughly 300.000.000 meter per second.Or 300.000 km per second. Very roughly calculated you will get 100.000 km in 33 ms. Just once around the world is, very roughly again, 40.000 km.

Therefore the time given by you would enable the light to around the world a bit more than 2 times.

In fibre optics the speed of light is ~ 1.5 slower. Please do your own calculation now.

HTH

Based on the performance of True, 3BB and ToT in my area over the last 18 months, I'd have to say that Thailand is by FAR the slowest.

all siad having never been in the philipines.

well, im there now and 3g is intermittent at best, 4 g rarely works because its oversold and 1 mbps landline that is stable is considered broadband.

never have i worked in a more backward place communications wise. the article is dead accurate.

by the way my true delivers higher speeds than claimed and has for years

Based on the performance of True, 3BB and ToT in my area over the last 18 months, I'd have to say that Thailand is by FAR the slowest.

well I sure can't complain about 3 BB, it's excellent in my area.... 99 % of the time... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

right, 3 BB is always very good ( at least 99% of the time )

The speed of light is roughly 300.000.000 meter per second.Or 300.000 km per second. Very roughly calculated you will get 100.000 km in 33 ms. Just once around the world is, very roughly again, 40.000 km.

Therefore the time given by you would enable the light to around the world a bit more than 2 times.

In fibre optics the speed of light is ~ 1.5 slower. Please do your own calculation now.

HTH

Ok, the latency to a BKK server on the speedtest.net with my 3bb seems to be about 28msec now. It's the same 28msec to any place in the world, it seems, so I hereby deduct Thailand has become a black hole capable of bending the time-space continuum. Hubahub.

well I sure can't complain about 3 BB, it's excellent in my area.... 99 % of the time... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Yeah, 3BB is great here too in CM, after using for over a year ive only had a problem once ( system went down for a few hours ) Apart from that no compliants from me :)

Yeah, 3BB is great here too in CM, after using for over a year ive only had a problem once ( system went down for a few hours ) Apart from that no compliants from me :)

Good that so many of you are NOT having any issues. Here, it's terrible, with ALL providers. And they seem totally incapable of finding the problem let alone fixing anything. Their default "turn the router off and on" answer just doesn't cut it.

Totally meaningless statistics but it's true, my water buffalo can give me the answer quicker than the Internet in da Phils.

Meaningless to you, evidently. But to the IT industry and millions of users all over the world, Ookla is the gold standard of accurate measurement of internet speed, and compilation of world-wide internet-speed data.

If you don't know already, Ookla's www.speedtest.net is by far the best and most reliable way I've found to test your interned bandwidth speed ... and I've done a lot of research on the subject. It also keeps a running database of your test results which you can review anytime you want, and it's absolutely free to use.

jayjayjayjay, on 22 Apr 2014 - 16:18, said:

Pooofth.... 17.92Mbps.... All three systems i have DTAC 3G, Pacific and True all have been running at about 0.1792 Mbps average for the last week. I could walk to Europe quicker than we can Skype at the moment!

Really is a joke... it is well known that popular Ookla sites (aka speedtest.net) are cached in Thailand, giving false/faked readings, even if you "think" you are testing to an overseas server.

"Well know" is it? Care to share with us your authoritative source of this well know information? It's amazing that you know about their "false/faked readings" but it's not know my ten-of-thousands of IT professionals world wide. You must be super smart and incredibly well connected.

Edited by HerbalEd