To the Farang, I met in Tesco.

Costas2008

There is another thread about farangs snubbing other farangs.

I guess the threat of not being unique is just too much. Somebody said it right..it takes away from the "Thai Experience".

They would not smile back or nod at you in New York either...if that helps.

Not a good example.

In New York 80% are farangs and you don't go around saying Hello to everybody.

In Thailand, may be there is an 1% of farangs and it doesn't hurt to acknowledge a courtesy.

I was in Tesco in Bristol (UK) last month, there were also probably only 1% farangs in there, but I didn't feel the need to greet them.

Well that narrows it down, Metro, Clifton, Golden Hill, Eastville for starters.......

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other guy probably thought OP is about to tell him a sob story and ask for either money or to pay for his goods

In all honesty, in all my time here, every time foreigner struck up a conversation with me, it ended up either him asking for money, or me costing money anyway, as he would not have enough to cover his bills.

... and post about on an anonymous forum.

Anonymous forum?

This is my family.

This is where I get rid of my stress.

Family huh ... biggrin.png

Bro* ... you owe me a beer ... drunk.gif

* short for brother. popularised, where I come from by the New Zealenders

• Like 1

To the OP:

This is how many ex-pats behave in Thailand, especially up here in Chiang Mai, so get used to it.

They are curt, ill mannered and arrogant, but most of all they have something to hide and try to keep a low profile, preferable in the shadows somewhere, or in other words they are concerned that getting too friendly with another farangs may result in the other farangs asking them what they do in Thailand. Quite a few are members here on Thai visa, only need to read the posts to see who they are.

You are spot on, because usually "normal" farangs go to shopping to meet another farangs and it is totally normal to strike up a conversation with a total stranger while looking in fruit and veg section.

And if second farang is ONLY there to do his shopping instead of being chatted up by another farang, than he must be arrogant and ill mannered with something to hide.

Thank god for all the saint people in Thailandwai.gif

I have answered this kind of thread before, so here goes with a bit more tacked on after a year or so of observation.

(Old bit) I lived in a small mountain village in Switzerland and it was definitely thought of as being weird if you didn't say 'hello'.

New bit: some of these Farangs are really ugly old gits (like me) but unlike me they have wives about 25 years younger than them. After an initial euphoria they realise how everyone is sizing him up all the time for what they think he is and he will probably be getting some stick at home also (buffalo fell over onto motorbike stuff) and they feel completely lost, out of it, in the wrong place. The wife eventually begins to feel the pressure of those glances and things get difficult, she will be walking 3 meters in front of or behind, the guy, keeping away until they get to the till. If on top of that, the guy is English (like I was, long ago) then fergeddaboudit.

I must admit that the steely eyed hard, hard, hard man stare at dog shit on the pavement gets on my nerves sometimes, worst in Bangkok I think. Just watch a Farang eating breakfast in a hotel after a naughty night: shifty eyes, hard man attitude, asking for a thump, not able to converse with his jewel of the night as he can't speak Thai.,

Eye contact if you aren't ashamed of yourself, a quick nod and smile, that's ok. I sometimes don't see a Farang for a week or two and so when I do they get discretely scrutinised but I am always ready to say hello.

At the same time your Thai wife/gf, waied and smiled at me.

In her head she was clearly thinking "ahh soi 6, August 1998, small tinkle"

Some memories these Thai birds

Oh, so in 1998 a bird told you you had a small tinkle between your ears...........sad.png ............Sorry about that facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Some 7 or 8 years ago when I lived in Phichit Provence, out in the country, the 7/11 was about 10 miles away. You would see a farang maybe once every 3 - 4 months. The wife and I were in 7/11 and I spoke to a farang and he ignored me. The wife in all of glory, asked the guy, what's a matter you don't speak. He ignored her too, paid his bill and left. <deleted>, they are everywhere.

• Like 2

"So according to the OP there is only one tesco in khon khen."

Eight that I can remember. Think there might be more.

Were you there? NO

So, close it..........nothing of substance to say.

If you were as friendly at Tesco as you are here.....no wonder people ignore you......he probably knows you!

• Like 1

I've been to at least 8 Tescos in Khon Kaen.

Did you wai the guy and his wife whilst saying 'hello'?

What did he look like?

I spoke to a guy at Khon Kaen immigration yesterday. I asked where he was from and he said he said Baan Pai and he'd lived there for 5 years - now that was funny.

Did you have your ThaiVisa name tag on ?

Weeeeeell, as a born Bristolian, one of the reasons I am not there..................thumbsup.gif

Southmead?? Lol

Fishponds...................thumbsup.gif

Same, worked at Glenside :-)

I've been to at least 8 Tescos in Khon Kaen.

Did you wai the guy and his wife whilst saying 'hello'?

What did he look like?

I spoke to a guy at Khon Kaen immigration yesterday. I asked where he was from and he said he said Baan Pai and he'd lived there for 5 years - now that was funny.

What is funny?

Funny that he thought his place of origin was non of your business?

Or funny he has lived here for 5 years and you are superior in some way ?

Was it the large Tesco close to the KK university? I remember one time I was there and needed some directions. Seen this older farang sitting with his Thai "girlfriend", so politely went up and asked for help. The old git sat there and pretended to be sleeping on me. Thankfully the Thai lady was polite, and nice enough to help me out.

• Like 1

I'm not even going to read the pages of responses, just the OP. I don't want to imagine the depths this topic would go to.

Granted, just because we are farangs, doesn't mean we have to acknowledge each other in town. Further, just because your wife is married to a farang and drags another farang over for dinner one night, doesn't mean those two farangs have to be instant, best mates, just because they are farangs. Anymore than our wives would be in the reverse situation abroad. Sometimes even a Thai living overseas can be a tosser. Same here.

That said, I always nod and say hello to a farang where I'm at. There aren't that many of us really, so it's ok. I don't expect to trade DNA or take warm showers, but a nod and greeting next to the ketchup and Coleman's Mustard display, is very easy and not problem. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I was in New York City's Central Park in the late 70's walking down the West Drive which was closed on a Sunday. There was a guy there sitting on a bench with his wife and young son. I said Hello! although I never stopped walking and he gave a big smile and Hello! back.

The guy was John Lennon with Yoko and a young Sean.

Imagine ...giving peace a chance

• Like 1

I was in New York City's Central Park in the late 70's walking down the West Drive which was closed on a Sunday. There was a guy there sitting on a bench with his wife and young son. I said Hello! although I never stopped walking and he gave a big smile and Hello! back.

Someone said recently, that you are a master of making a point with very few words.

While I feel you've missed that target re: this OP, I very much enjoyed what I got from your brief comment above.

Thank you.

• Like 1

WOW!

• Like 1

I'd have befriended them, provided a heartwrenching hard-luck story about my life and finances and tried my luck.

I'd have befriended them, provided a heartwrenching hard-luck story about my life and finances and tried my luck.

The guy was just relaxing with his family on a Sunday afternoon. If I had stopped to chat he might not have been so friendly.