Any tips on losing a beer gut ?

billybatson

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update - it's been nearly 3 weeks now. I've lost 6 pounds. First 2 weeks I really went cold turkey, but in the 3rd week I started feeling a bit weak and nauseous so I've started introducing some carbs back into my diet again - only pasta so far. I'm getting used to it but the one thing I always forget to do is drink water. I just don't drink enough water. Always plan to drink throughout the day but I just forget. Not sure what I can do short of setting an alarm every 90 mins biggrin.png

Update - it's been nearly 3 weeks now. I've lost 6 pounds. First 2 weeks I really went cold turkey, but in the 3rd week I started feeling a bit weak and nauseous so I've started introducing some carbs back into my diet again - only pasta so far. I'm getting used to it but the one thing I always forget to do is drink water. I just don't drink enough water. Always plan to drink throughout the day but I just forget. Not sure what I can do short of setting an alarm every 90 mins biggrin.png

Great. Easy does it!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The obvious already stated, reduce your intake of beer OR start taking up more frequent and moderate exercise to "battle the beer bulge". I LOVE my Chang and probably get in a few each week but usually only in 1-2 sittings. BUT I walk 3-5 kilometers every day and at a brisk pace. Use to run..., bad knee and soon to be replaced.

If you continue to eat western style foods STOP! Especially fast foods. It's killing your friends and family..., now it's killing Thais...., it will kill you! Go to the local markets. Buy the fruits and vegetables so readily available here and consume them in quantity. I buy meat but mostly pork and fish. I eat the local fish but take Benda (Mebendazole) 2 times a year. No issues.

Carrying excess weight in the mid section is a prescription for cardiovascular disaster. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-risks-of-belly-fat

It doesn't take more than TWENTY decent sessions of good walking and moderate weights to see things start to reverse. If you can find some "core" exercises to do, do them. Don't pretend to do what you did when you were 20. Do what you can and note the increase in ability over a reasonably short period of time. Here are some to try: http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness_top_ten/53_fitness_list.html

I'm 56. When I came here in 2010 I was tipping the scales at 87K (192 pounds). In less than 7 months I was down to 74K (164 pounds). The reason? Lots of walking, moderate weights training and eating local FRESH foods. It works.

I wish you the best. To your health and a long happy life...., WITH beer!!!!

Great encouraging post but its not just Western foods that will cause damage. Its most every food at the street vendor that is deep deep deep fried. So like you mentioned, cook at home and cook smart using things like PAM instead of butter, etc, etc.

You nailed it with fruits & veggies but wash them thoroughly.

You also nailed it with the walking. Brisk walking is an excellent exercise. Go to Lumpini Park in the early part of Sunday mornings. Even with all the protesters, Sunday mornings are filled with like minded people and makes for a great, positive experience.
As for beer, until you get down to your desired weight, you need to refrain.

Your post is inspiring to say the least. I have printed it and keep a copy on my desk. Only a small change if you don't mind. When really over weight walking is good even just slow walking. I believe you spend the same calories going say 2 km fast walking or slow. In fact slow, could be better so the hips and knees are not stressed too much and disable you from walking, at least until you reach that desired weight loss. Lumpini Park is just too far from Pattaya so I have to stick to walking blocks in Patty. I take it that Mebendazole is a parasite killer and will follow up on that as well. Again thank both of you for your kind and wise words.

Little old me. oooops dreaming again.

​I have attached my calories cheat sheet that helps me to quickly see just how many calories I eat. It is all obtained by googling calories per 100 gram for [whatever]

food-3.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Try having you last meal of the day at the latest 6.30, eat almost what you want (in consideration mind), and then you not going to sleep with a full stomach, that what my biggest problem was, eating to late at night, they say don't eat 3 hours before sleep, but I ate at 6 and after 2-3 weeks you do start to notice.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. It's been more than 9 weeks now and I've lost 12 pounds. Took about 6 weeks to lose that much but its staying off. I still have a gut (altho it might have shrunk a little, very difficult for me to tell) but I've dropped a waist size, so something is definitely happening in that area. I'm reintroduced some carbs back into my diet but still a lot less than I was eating before. I haven't touched any bread or cereals, I only eat potatoes maybe once per week, and only eat pasta or rice maybe 3 times per week. I've reduced my sugar intake - no more fruit juices, soft drinks, or biscuits. And I'm experimenting with intermittent fasting - some days I skip lunch, some days I skip breakfast. I'm also building up the amount of exercise I do - lift weights every day, fitness ball / core muscles every other day, some short bursts of cardio every other day, as well as more walking - at least 5 miles per week.

Quick update. It's been more than 9 weeks now and I've lost 12 pounds. Took about 6 weeks to lose that much but its staying off. I still have a gut (altho it might have shrunk a little, very difficult for me to tell) but I've dropped a waist size, so something is definitely happening in that area. I'm reintroduced some carbs back into my diet but still a lot less than I was eating before. I haven't touched any bread or cereals, I only eat potatoes maybe once per week, and only eat pasta or rice maybe 3 times per week. I've reduced my sugar intake - no more fruit juices, soft drinks, or biscuits. And I'm experimenting with intermittent fasting - some days I skip lunch, some days I skip breakfast. I'm also building up the amount of exercise I do - lift weights every day, fitness ball / core muscles every other day, some short bursts of cardio every other day, as well as more walking - at least 5 miles per week.

Gratulations clap2.gif

"I haven't touched any bread or cereals, I only eat potatoes maybe once per week, and only eat pasta or rice maybe 3 times per week."

4 times per week (1x Potatoes and 3x pasta or rice) is actually a lot carbs, but seems low enough smile.png

Not bad at all. Skip the potatoes, pasta, and rice. Veggies are carbs--want more carbs, eat more of those. If you're low-carb then you don't need to fear fat, and so eating, say, pork loin (pork belly, ha!) or chicken w/ the fat on can be quite satisfying.

Not bad at all. Skip the potatoes, pasta, and rice. Veggies are carbs--want more carbs, eat more of those. If you're low-carb then you don't need to fear fat, and so eating, say, pork loin (pork belly, ha!) or chicken w/ the fat on can be quite satisfying.

Or go low carb and than reduce the fat you eat and you'll get very slim very fast....just it isn't satisfying

A good thread that is relevant for many of us. Below, I think this applies to some of us but not all. I think the comments below apply to regular beer drinkers that are over 30.

I have a beer gut now. My grandpa and my uncles had big bellies.

In my mid-40s now, even when I stop drinking beer, the gut does not go away. In fact it has gotten a little bigger in the last 6 months.

As noted in this thread, spot-reduction cannot happen and reducing overall body fat, and cleaning up your diet (macros: Protein/fat/carb) ratio and smart food choices is mandatory.

Secondly, you have to exercise. Period. And you have to work out hard. Regularly.

One this that work well for me is a moderate form of HIIT cardio in the morning on an empty stomach right after I get up. Glycogen store will have your body tap into fat for energy.

Reduce beer intake and try Gin-Tonics or Vodka-Tonic as a replacement for some beer.

Switching will help some (yes there are lots of calories in wine.

No you don't need to exercise.....It works better with exercise and your shape looks better with exercise, but it works exactly the same well without any exercise. Just you must eat even less.

And without exercise I don't see any space for alcohol anymore.

I agree, diet alone - a good clean diet can eliminate a beer gut without exercise. And adding certain types of exercise will speed up the process.

Currently (7 weeks ago, I marked my start-up again on my calendar),

I started and am continuing to do HIIT in the AM on an empty stomach. 21 minutes, and no more.

Later in the day I'll do weight training with a,

Leg day,

Back, Bicep day,

Shoulder day

Chest Tricep day

HIIT 5 days per weeks and sometimes 6 in the AM with the weight training in the afternoon.

It's a process. I feel better.

A good thread that is relevant for many of us. Below, I think this applies to some of us but not all. I think the comments below apply to regular beer drinkers that are over 30.

In my mid-40s now, even when I stop drinking beer, the gut does not go away. In fact it has gotten a little bigger in the last 6 months.

As noted in this thread, spot-reduction cannot happen and reducing overall body fat, and cleaning up your diet (macros: Protein/fat/carb) ratio and smart food choices is mandatory.

Secondly, you have to exercise. Period. And you have to work out hard. Regularly.

One this that work well for me is a moderate form of HIIT cardio in the morning on an empty stomach right after I get up. Glycogen store will have your body tap into fat for energy.

Reduce beer intake and try Gin-Tonics or Vodka-Tonic as a replacement for some beer.

No you don't need to exercise.....It works better with exercise and your shape looks better with exercise, but it works exactly the same well without any exercise. Just you must eat even less.

I agree, diet alone - a good clean diet can eliminate a beer gut without exercise. And adding certain types of exercise will speed up the process.

I started and am continuing to do HIIT in the AM on an empty stomach. 21 minutes, and no more.

Leg day,

Back, Bicep day,

Shoulder day

Chest Tricep day

HIIT 5 days per weeks and sometimes 6 in the AM with the weight training in the afternoon.

Just be careful, too much HIIT can be bad for you. It puts a real strain on the CNS I was always one of over-training wont ever happen.. but it can.

If we are talking real HIIT here.. i mean going full out in the high intensity part not just going faster but really full out as if your chased and can get killed if they catch you.

• 2 weeks later...

Leg day,

Back, Bicep day,

Shoulder day

Chest Tricep day

Just be careful, too much HIIT can be bad for you. It puts a real strain on the CNS I was always one of over-training wont ever happen.. but it can.

If we are talking real HIIT here.. i mean going full out in the high intensity part not just going faster but really full out as if your chased and can get killed if they catch you.

Robblok,

Yeah, real HIIT can tax the CNS and the timing is important.

Truthfully I rarely go 100%. It is because I don't to push my heart beyond what I consider the maximum heart beats per minute range (I go above the 'recomended' heart beats per minute table).

I do go 100% but not often.

I usually do HIIT at what I consider to be 90%, although that is hard to calculate. I do push it. I does wear me out.

Therefore, I am not sure if 90%, or what I think is 90% is real HIIT. I am raising and lowering the heart beat and using a timer.

Again, I do it on an empty stomach first thing in the AM and wait 30 minutes to eat afterwards. I can see the results.

Cheers.

Robblok,

Truthfully I rarely go 100%. It is because I don't to push my heart beyond what I consider the maximum heart beats per minute range (I go above the 'recomended' heart beats per minute table).

I usually do HIIT at what I consider to be 90%, although that is hard to calculate. I do push it. I does wear me out.

Therefore, I am not sure if 90%, or what I think is 90% is real HIIT. I am raising and lowering the heart beat and using a timer.

Again, I do it on an empty stomach first thing in the AM and wait 30 minutes to eat afterwards. I can see the results.

Cheers.

When I went full out for weight loss I added HITT to my normal 6 days a week cardio and 4 days a week lifting.. in the end i got over trained. But I was really going for it and restricting calories.

Respect to you .. not many can do HITT fasted state.

Robblok,

Cheers.

When I went full out for weight loss I added HITT to my normal 6 days a week cardio and 4 days a week lifting.. in the end i got over trained. But I was really going for it and restricting calories.

Respect to you .. not many can do HITT fasted state.

Well I have reasonable power, when I eat some musli with oatmeat, protein and non fat milk at say 9 AM and than start to train at about 10.30-11.

Afterwards only protein drink, no carbs low fat and low calorie.

But still regeneration is slower. On the other side the training is still not as hard as fully loaded with food which helps on the regeneration side.

Point is to use this short time when the body has food and power. If you train at 5 PM maybe some carb food at 3 PM would be right.

Others say that it is better to back-load... train hungry and eat afterwards so the muscle can regenerate. If I eat no breakfast and work out at 11 AM I need a lot will power to lift some low weights.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Make it easy on yourself, that means creating a daily routine that suits YOU, not necessarily what some one else thinks is the best way to go. This includes everything from what kind of foods you eat, how big or small the portions and when you eat etc. Weight training is what you should focus on, lift heavy at least twice per weak. If you still have energy left for some cardio or the likes, then by all means. Talking lengthy walks is an also an option, if not for burning calories then for simple well being. Food wise focus on protein, for the purpose of maintaining muscle mass and also for saturation. Plan you meals and look at the nutritional content, go as low on calories as you are comfortable with while still keeping the protein high and being able to lift and also function in every day life. Like people have mentioned in the thread its not rocket science, the hard part is the discipline and consistency.

And also with the risk of sounding rude...

When it comes to diet and nutrition there are established facts and methods. Unbiased knowledge that every one can use to change their body. Please don't spew out pseudo science or other wild surefire ideas you picked up from blogs, magazines etc. When i read stuff like you should only drink juice and eat salad or that choosing white rice over brown rice is going to ruin your weight loss it just goes to show that many people have no idea what they are talking about. I don't visit a car forum and suggest people should remove the tires if they want to make their car fly. You read up and acquire some basic knowledge or you refrain from giving false or bad advice.

SUCK IN YOUR STOMACH! Most people, as they get older, relax their stomach rather that hold it in. Sucking in your stomach maintains strength in the muscles required to do it. People have said to me "You're Sucking in your stomach!" and I say YES! and I will continue to do so until my stomach muscles are too weak to do so. When people relax their stomach it just hangs out and appears to be larger than normal; it's kind of like a posture thing...slouching makes you look like you have small shoulders and a hunchback when really you don't. A beer belly is more of a case of slouching, but with your stomach than excess weight (although that does contribute).

Make it easy on yourself, that means creating a daily routine that suits YOU, not necessarily what some one else thinks is the best way to go. This includes everything from what kind of foods you eat, how big or small the portions and when you eat etc. Weight training is what you should focus on, lift heavy at least twice per weak. If you still have energy left for some cardio or the likes, then by all means. Talking lengthy walks is an also an option, if not for burning calories then for simple well being. Food wise focus on protein, for the purpose of maintaining muscle mass and also for saturation. Plan you meals and look at the nutritional content, go as low on calories as you are comfortable with while still keeping the protein high and being able to lift and also function in every day life. Like people have mentioned in the thread its not rocket science, the hard part is the discipline and consistency.

Weight training Diet is what you should focus on. Food wise focus on low carb, esp cutting out all forms of sugar and starches, for the purpose of losing weight. Don't worry too much about maintaining muscle mass and gettin' all saturated. Saturated fat has been unfairly maligned and has a respectable role in a low-carb diet. Taking lengthy walks is also a good option not so much for burning calories, though it's better than weight training, but very much for simple well being. If you still have energy left for some weight training or the likes, then by all means, as weight training is the best exercise for strength, arthritis, and osteoporosis, though you might injure yourself, esp if you're overweight.

Creating a daily routine that suits YOU, not necessarily what some one else thinks is the best way to go, except me. Now: Lift heavy at least twice per weak.

Weight training Diet is what you should focus on. Food wise focus on low carb, esp cutting out all forms of sugar and starches, for the purpose of losing weight. Don't worry too much about maintaining muscle mass and gettin' all saturated. Saturated fat has been unfairly maligned and has a respectable role in a low-carb diet. Taking lengthy walks is also a good option not so much for burning calories, though it's better than weight training, but very much for simple well being. If you still have energy left for some weight training or the likes, then by all means, as weight training is the best exercise for strength, arthritis, and osteoporosis, though you might injure yourself, esp if you're overweight.

Creating a daily routine that suits YOU, not necessarily what some one else thinks is the best way to go, except me. Now: Lift heavy at least twice per weak.

Read my second post smile.png

He did he is just pointing out faults in your reasoning. You said people should do training they like and whats suits them after that YOU tell them to lift weights. You contradict your own post. I like lifting but not everyone does

I get better results low carb especially when i was more insulin resistant. Just look it up loads of overweight people are insulin resistant.

Well, most people go on diet because the want to look better. If you build some muscles on the shoulder, legs, chest, arms you look slimmer with the same amount of body fat, like when you look like a barrel on sticks.

Of course the focus should be on the diet, but weight training can improve the overall look.

He did he is just pointing out faults in your reasoning. You said people should do training they like and whats suits them after that YOU tell them to lift weights. You contradict your own post. I like lifting but not everyone does

I get better results low carb especially when i was more insulin resistant. Just look it up loads of overweight people are insulin resistant.

Well I did elaborate and wrote that an individual routine consisted of the individuals preferred foods, meal frequency etc, that's a daily routine and the training aspect was mentioned later and I wrote two sessions per weak, not every day. And creating a healthy, effective and sustainable weight loss with anything other than weight training as a base is not even debatable. I didn't even mention carbs in my post, but yes cutting down on them as much as possible is a good idea, not for some magical fat burning effect but more because of the fact that they are non essential and the preferred way for many to reduce calories since a large portion of an individuals daily intake typically consists of carbs.

Well I did elaborate and wrote that an individual routine consisted of the individuals preferred foods, meal frequency etc, that's a daily routine and the training aspect was mentioned later and I wrote two sessions per weak, not every day. And creating a healthy, effective and sustainable weight loss with anything other than weight training as a base is not even debatable. I didn't even mention carbs in my post, but yes cutting down on them as much as possible is a good idea, not for some magical fat burning effect but more because of the fact that they are non essential and the preferred way for many to reduce calories since a large portion of an individuals daily intake typically consists of carbs.

Of course a weight loss without weight training is easily done. For me it is actually even easier, as without weight training I can live from just some protein drinks. My body is burning mostly fat and the little carbs that are needed are made from the protein. Works good and fast.

With weight training it is just too much and I must add more food and it gets a lot more difficult to balance needed food and eaten food.

Archived