Any tips on losing a beer gut ?

billybatson

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...creating a healthy, effective and sustainable weight loss"

This will be my last post in this thread. Good luck to all struggling with weight loss. smile.png

Its hard to do it good but you were right about doing your own thing exercise wise.

Lifting weights is not for everyone my dad bikes loads of kilometers a day. He would not like lifting weights and give up soon. In my opinion any exercise you like is good as even light exercise is better as none t all. Though for weight loss exercise plays a smaller role as your food intake.

Just to illustrate this i am currently in The Netherlands for a holliday. I biked 50 km with my dad around 20 km average and stopping to buy stuff. A little under 3 hours and burned only 550 calories. Its not feasible to do this every day eating the same amount less is a lot easier. Its not that the trip was hard on the body i actually enjoyed it but just dont have 3 hours to use every day. While i am here instead of lifting i bike.

I do believe exercise is important but more for general health less so for weight loss. It will help but is in general less effective as a healthy diet.

And creating a healthy, effective and sustainable weight loss with anything other than weight training as a base is not even debatable.

No. Watch and learn:

"is not even debatable." means he doesn't want to learn.....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Consider avoiding saturated fats and replace with healthier fats. Definitely eliminate ALL transfats (but its hidden in commercial foods so not easy).
Some research links SATURATED fat more to fat stomachs. More modern obesity scientists understand calories from different sources are NOT the same in how the body deals with them.
If you've got a fat stomach, sorry, you do have a weight related issue with potential health implications regardless of the scale number/BMI number.

Saturated Fat Linked to Accumulation of Dangerous Belly Fat

Eating saturated fat leads to the accumulation of more visceral fat and less muscle mass than eating polyunsaturated fat, according to new research published in the journal Diabetes. Visceral fat, a dangerous type of abdominal fat that wraps itself around the internal organs, has been linked to metabolic disturbances such as Type 2 diabetes.

I think the article you have linked is just theoretical.

This, for example, is theoretical, "Saturated fat is known to raise blood cholesterol levels, increasing the risk of heart disease and stroke."

Here are some articles only talking about what we have evidence of. No theories whatsoever. Just evidence of what has been observed. And saturated fat doesn't seem to contribute to belly fat, or any other health problems.

http://authoritynutrition.com/6-graphs-the-war-on-fat-was-a-mistake/

http://authoritynutrition.com/saturated-fat-good-or-bad/

http://authoritynutrition.com/it-aint-the-fat-people/

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-9-biggest-lies-about-dietary-fat-and-cholesterol/

• 3 months later...

I missed this thread the first time around. We're talking about belly fat here, so a picture is worth a thousands words.

What exactly is a beer belly made of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDM_blWeYoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ij3k50-C28

There's a lot of talk about how this fat increases the risk of diabetes. I think that's nonsense. It's a chicken or the egg quandary...

I think it's insulin resistance which causes belly fat in the first place, so people with beer bellies are already on their way to type 2 diabetes when the fat first starts to accumulate.

It's worthwhile to observe that beer belly is more common on middle aged or older men - a time when insulin resistance becomes very common.

Diet alone will not get you out of this predicament. Check blood sugar levels, fasting and postprandial, and HbA1c. If insulin resistance is evident, then exercise should be your first course of action.

It's really hard to measure intra-abdominal fat. You'll need a DEXA scan or something similar to determine where your fat is. A DEXA scan can measure your fat levels in the abdominal area. If you have a lot of intra-abdominal fat, pinch tests are useless.

• 2 weeks later...

For fat loss goals your priorities are:

1. Diet

2. Diet

3. Weight training

4. Cardio (a distant 4th)

Best piece of equipment to lose stomach fat: vegetables.. Forget about snacks , drink beer only on weekends in reasonable quantities.

Bottom line is that you're concentrating on the least important factor in achieving your goals. And unless you're willing to invest a amount of money for a home gym your best bet is to start off at a commercial gym. Saying you don't have time is an excuse. If it's not important enough then save yourself a lot of time and stay overweight/out of shape.

There's 2 basic types of body fat. Subcutaneous and visceral fat, also called intra-abdominal fat. The second type is what makes up a beer gut.

What causes it? One of the main theories is insulin resistance. Considering that beer guts usually only become a problem in middle aged men strengthens that theory. You'll get them with or without beer.

To get rid of these guts the FIRST priority is exercise. A combination of steady cardio, high intensity cardio and HIIT work wonders. Why?.... because varying types of cardio exercises are the best to control insulin resistance, whether it's advanced as in full blown diabetes or mild as in pre-diabetes. Weight training alone is useless, but it can be used in combination with cardio for even more benefit. Have you not seen all those huge bellies down at the gym? Even on muscular guys? I used to be one of them until I leaned out on a rigid cardio program. I went from nearly 30% visceral fat in the abdominal region (determined by DEXA scan) to around 10%. I have DEXA scan before and after results to prove it if anyone is skeptical. I had a huge belly even though I displayed abdominal muscle definition.

It's important to test blood sugar levels to see where you are. How you respond to food. A person with a beer belly has a different problem to a person with evenly distributed subcutaneous fat.

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2014 at 0:23 PM, Kaalle said:

Make it easy on yourself, that means creating a daily routine that suits YOU, not necessarily what some one else thinks is the best way to go. This includes everything from what kind of foods you eat, how big or small the portions and when you eat etc. Weight training is what you should focus on, lift heavy at least twice per weak. If you still have energy left for some cardio or the likes, then by all means. Talking lengthy walks is an also an option, if not for burning calories then for simple well being. Food wise focus on protein, for the purpose of maintaining muscle mass and also for saturation. Plan you meals and look at the nutritional content, go as low on calories as you are comfortable with while still keeping the protein high and being able to lift and also function in every day life. Like people have mentioned in the thread its not rocket science, the hard part is the discipline and consistency. 

Do you really think that lifting heavy weights twice a week is good for fat loss - and that cardio is an afterthought. 

No way! I've been lifting heavy most of my life... of course as I age the heavy becomes lighter. The only time I became lean was when I hit the cardio hard. Moderate eating and cardio do the trick. Heavy lifting is a waste of time as far as weight loss in concerned. It's also a good way to injure yourself. Weight training is good to stimulate muscle maintenance or growth, but not much use on its own if fat loss is your only goal. Most guys you see in the gym these days are fat, even though they like to think it's all muscle.

In a nutshell, cut the calories and focus on cardio - low, medium and high intensity cycled over the week. Use a heart rate monitor so you don't overdo it. If you can, pick 2 or 3 different types of cardio so you don't get bored and your fitness becomes more rounded.

I never said anything about weightlifting and fat loss, muscle maintenance is the most important thing while losing weight though. And for the regular person its always easier to cut down on food before going on the threadmill for 3 hours just so you can eat two more pancakes for dinner. 

next plz

2 hours ago, Kaalle said:

I never said anything about weightlifting and fat loss, muscle maintenance is the most important thing while losing weight though. And for the regular person its always easier to cut down on food before going on the threadmill for 3 hours just so you can eat two more pancakes for dinner. 

next plz

Next is coming up right now...

The warning bells go off when someone starts talking about "lifting heavy". That's risky even for fit, young guys, nevermind older expats 50 and above. Of course "heavy" is relative. Are you talking about heavy singles, 5's, 10's? There's a big difference. If you end up with a back, knee or shoulder injury, that's a heavy price to pay for what benefit?

If you're going to lift weights, forget the heavy stuff. That doesn't work the muscle much anyway - it works the CNS more. Keep it comfortable and safe in the 10 - 15 rep range. There no need to go to failure either.

You don't need to spend 3 hours on the treadmill. You can do a very effective cardio program in 20 minutes or less. I vary mine between 15 minutes and 40 minutes max. It's all about stimulating the metabolism and getting fit is an extra bonus. It's not about how many calories you burn in a session. Cardio can also work the muscles very effectively if you choose the right ones. eg. Rowing - it works the whole body. That's my personal favourite.

Getting fat or losing weight is not just a sum of how many calories you consume. A fit person can eat a lot more without getting fat than a sedentary person, even on his off training days. Look at some young active people - they can eat all day long and stay thin.

Your turn...

Im talking about heavy as in not sitting and doing 50 reps in the ab machine while looking at your iphone. 

Your metabolism doesnt have an on/off switch and it gets plenty of stimulation from lifting. I agree you should keep active though, walking is great since it doesnt require any real recovery.

No, a fit sedentaty person doesnt have a magical metabolism that differs from a sedentary non fit person. 

You have close to zero knowledge about how the body works, dont give advice. 

15 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

Im talking about heavy as in not sitting and doing 50 reps in the ab machine while looking at your iphone. 

Your metabolism doesnt have an on/off switch and it gets plenty of stimulation from lifting. I agree you should keep active though, walking is great since it doesnt require any real recovery.

No, a fit sedentaty person doesnt have a magical metabolism that differs from a sedentary non fit person. 

You have close to zero knowledge about how the body works, dont give advice. 

LOL. If you keep coming back here I'll be giving plenty of advice... not specifically for you, but for the forum. You won't find many expats with more experience in the field of staying in shape. It has been a life long hobby and I do feel qualified to enter into these discussions.

Let's stop the insults and start discussing this in a respectful manner. Telling someone they has zero knowledge because you don't agree is not the way to debate.

If you're suggesting "heavy" is not doing 50 rep ab work, then perhaps it would have helped if you defined your understanding of "heavy" and this debate would have been unnecessary.

I can eat like a pig while taking a week off and gain no fat whatsoever. Young guys can eat more and stay skinny. In fact that week off helps me get fitter... not like in my early days when we used to stress out about taking a day off. There's far more to it than a calories in/out equation. There is magic in a fit metabolism, but considering you don't believe it you'll probably sit around and slowly lift heavy weights, which doesn't stimulate the metabolism at all. There's not much point in having muscle if it's covered up in layers of fat.

A fit body helps to maintain optimum blood pressure, blood sugar levels and all types of hormones responsible for stress, recovery and fat burning. Start a sensible cardio program and feel the magic. You'll also end up with a lot more energy, which will keep you more active the rest of the day.

Next...

A statement like you being able to eat like a pig just because your fit kind of warrants comments like the one I made that you dont know how the body works. 

If you want to have a healthy and sustainable reduction in body fat you need to cut down on calories beeing consumed and/or increase the amount being burned, the first one is by far the easiest on you mind and body, but by all means if you have the time and energy to create a big enough deficit with cardio go ahead. You talk about metabolism as if it is a fire that needs to be stoked by cardio, again there is no on/off switch. The amount of body fat you burn for a fraction of time during a cardio session on wedsday at 2:15 pm is not gonna make or break you diet, its the sum of everything at the end of the day/week/month. That means the size of the deficit, protein intake, etc etc. 

A surefire way of messing up your metabolism is by dieting and not maintaining musclemass though. How do you maintain musclemass? By lifting weights. And there is no need to argue about the definition of heavy. A lot of beginners in the gym do endless amounts of reps and dont really get anywhere, the opposite of this i heavy, according to my humble opinion. That doesnt mean 65 year old Ann-Margaret who want to loose a few pounds has to do a deadlift max on her first visit to the gym though, thats a wierd way to interpret heavy. 

If you gut came from drinking beer, then the answer is obvious.

As far as diet goes....well, I think we all know that results are best when you switch to healthy, lower calorie foods in smaller portions.  What you need more than anything else is motivation and discipline.  Exercise alone will not get the results you are looking for.  Lower calories and healthier choices are what does the trick.  Exercise will enhance your strength, endurance and flexibility...  and put your mind in the right mood. Focus on what you eat.  Get a friend involved...it helps when you motivate each other.

On 8/15/2016 at 0:55 PM, Kaalle said:

A statement like you being able to eat like a pig just because your fit kind of warrants comments like the one I made that you dont know how the body works. 

If you want to have a healthy and sustainable reduction in body fat you need to cut down on calories beeing consumed and/or increase the amount being burned, the first one is by far the easiest on you mind and body, but by all means if you have the time and energy to create a big enough deficit with cardio go ahead. You talk about metabolism as if it is a fire that needs to be stoked by cardio, again there is no on/off switch. The amount of body fat you burn for a fraction of time during a cardio session on wedsday at 2:15 pm is not gonna make or break you diet, its the sum of everything at the end of the day/week/month. That means the size of the deficit, protein intake, etc etc. 

A surefire way of messing up your metabolism is by dieting and not maintaining musclemass though. How do you maintain musclemass? By lifting weights. And there is no need to argue about the definition of heavy. A lot of beginners in the gym do endless amounts of reps and dont really get anywhere, the opposite of this i heavy, according to my humble opinion. That doesnt mean 65 year old Ann-Margaret who want to loose a few pounds has to do a deadlift max on her first visit to the gym though, thats a wierd way to interpret heavy. 

I could say exactly the same of you. i.e. If you think that reducing fat is all about calorie deficit, you don't have a clue how the body works... however I won't say that, because the subject is very contentious and has been debated at length on this forum over many years in very long threads. I have contributed my fair share on the debate.

What started me off was your comment that one must "lift heavy" in order to lose weight.

IMO that's just bad advice. I've given you several reasons why, how about you tell us why one must lift heavy to lose weight and exactly what you mean by "lifting heavy"?

So you are saying you can loose bodyfat on a calori surplus? There is no debate on how you achieve optimal weightloss. Cut down on calories, eat high protein and lift weights to maintain musclemass. 

I never said you had to lift weights to loose weight I said you need to lift weights to maintain musclemass.

You still have no clue. 

Lifting heavy is anything below 15 reps or something, to the point of muscle fatigue ofcourse. Again whats the point in debating about the obvious definition?

The first comment in my latest post was a bit stupid. But anyway, a calorie deficit is first and foremost. Second is protein intake. And the essential amounts of fat you need is hard not to get in your diet. Vitamins and minerals are important, easily solved with pills if you are sloppy with vegetable and fruit intake. And carbs are not life essential, but they are usually important for meal composition in terms of enjoyment, and they play a role in performance. That leavs what? Please tell me. Im guessing we are going to be hearing about detox shakes and other mysterious stuff. 

Its always funny when the topic of training and nutrition, weightloss etc comes up. Its a pretty straight forward thing with clear scientifically proven guidelines. But everybody, no matter how uninformed, has a strong and loud opinion. It is as if I would visit a message board for geologists and start arguing that the earths core is made up of marsipan and that rocks have feelings and so on, its just spreading misinformation. 

4 hours ago, Kaalle said:

So you are saying you can loose bodyfat on a calori surplus? There is no debate on how you achieve optimal weightloss. Cut down on calories, eat high protein and lift weights to maintain musclemass. 

I never said you had to lift weights to loose weight I said you need to lift weights to maintain musclemass.

You still have no clue. 

Lifting heavy is anything below 15 reps or something, to the point of muscle fatigue ofcourse. Again whats the point in debating about the obvious definition?

Where did I mention you can lose weight on a calorie surplus? Please find that for me? 

Let's cover your points here:

1. "There is no debate on how you achieve optimal weight loss"

Yes there is - the debates on this subject are endless.

What do you mean by "optimal weight loss? Do you mean losing the most weight.

For starters you really should stop talking about weight loss, because that could be water, fat or muscle.

The only loss I'm interested in is fat loss, which is not the same as weight loss. I can lose fat and stay at the same body weight. I can lose 3 kg of water in one day - also weight loss.

If you want to lose the maximum amount of weight, go on a starvation diet... that will work. Eventually you'll look like concentration camp survivors.

2. "I never said you had to lift weights to loose weight I said you need to lift weights to maintain musclemass."

Yes you did, which is nonsense. You can maintain and increase muscle mass without lifting weight. Have you tried rowing? Have you tried biking with high resistance? You just have to chose the right types of cardio work.

3. "you still have no clue".

You never had a clue to start with.

4. "Lifting heavy is anything below 15 reps or something, to the point of muscle fatigue ofcourse. Again whats the point in debating about the obvious definition?"

You still don't have a clue what "heavy" means. You can reach muscle fatigue with light weights... that's easy to achieve. Heavy is a subjective word and there's nothing obvious about it, but considering you're talking about lifting weights we should talk shop. Heavy would mean 5 or less reps. Some would take it to mean 3 reps or less. That is what most people experienced in the field of lifting weights would think.

You're really confused because your idea of cardio is spending 3 hours on a treadmill. You also think the only point of cardio is to burn calories. This is all wrong. 

I've been lifting weights for 40 years, so obviously it's a hobby, but if was advising the better method of losing body fat (not body weight, which is meaningless), a combination of high, medium and low intensity cardio on exercises that require work against resistance is the way to go - and superior to lifting weights, either light, medium or heavy. Combine this with a healthy diet (cut out the junk foods) and there's no need to count calories. I maintain around 10% bodyfat (just low enough to display ab definition) without counting calories. I can go lower than that if I wish, without counting calories. I have never counted calories in my life. I do a lot of cardio too, but other than the odd longer session, I don't go over 30 minutes, but keep the intensity high.

You argue about semantics to much, thats because you cant refute my arguments with anything substantial.

Optimal means the best way, the most effective, healthy and sustainable. Of course weight loss means a loss of body fat in this instance, and you know it as well.

Show me where I said you had to lift weights to loose weight? I know you love to argue about the meaning and definition of things so I will make you happy and say it can be the opposite, lifting weights can hinder weightloss since a beginner might well gain some muscle mass that replaces the bodyfat beeing lost, on the scale that is. But this is meaningless yeah? Its just arguing about details and semantics when in fact everybody knows pretty much what I mean.

And yes a beginner can probably maintain musclemass up to a point without lifting, but lifting is still the best way and no way in hell is some one getting into really good shape with their musclemass intact without lifting. So ok you bike really hard or maybe sprint but what about upper body? Now you are going to mention rowing. Why is this better than lifting for maintaining musclemass? And tell me about how your cardio sessions are so vital for fatloss? 

And here we go again with the stupid semantics. You asked me what I meant by heavy and I gave you my definition. I used beginners and everyday people as an example, not people experienced in lifting, hence my definition of heavy in this instance. Yes if I am talking to a friend who is also into lifting and they say "oh im doing heavy squats today" of course I realise its going to be close to one rep max and in 4´s or 5´s or something.

Yes you can achieve muscle fatigue with really high reps, you can achive it with masturbation as well. Not being able to achieve fatigue with high reps wasnt my point, and you know this you are just trying to turn every little thing into an argument instead of presenting something valid.

3 hours on a threadmill is a pretty reasonable amount of time if we are trying to create a deficit without counting calories and just eating untill full every meal. For the regular person this would probably mean light jogging and walking.  

As for 10% bodyfat, pics or it didnt happen my friend. You are so delusional I cant imagine you can pinpoint your bodyfat correctly. 

You argue about semantics to much, thats because you cant refute my arguments with anything substantial.

Optimal means the best way, the most effective, healthy and sustainable. Of course weight loss means a loss of body fat in this instance, and you know it as well.

Show me where I said you had to lift weights to loose weight? I know you love to argue about the meaning and definition of things so I will make you happy and say it can be the opposite, lifting weights can hinder weightloss since a beginner might well gain some muscle mass that replaces the bodyfat beeing lost, on the scale that is. But this is meaningless yeah? Its just arguing about details and semantics when in fact everybody knows pretty much what I mean.

And yes a beginner can probably maintain musclemass up to a point without lifting, but lifting is still the best way and no way in hell is some one getting into really good shape with their musclemass intact without lifting. So ok you bike really hard or maybe sprint but what about upper body? Now you are going to mention rowing. Why is this better than lifting for maintaining musclemass? And tell me about how your cardio sessions are so vital for fatloss? 

And here we go again with the stupid semantics. You asked me what I meant by heavy and I gave you my definition. I used beginners and everyday people as an example, not people experienced in lifting, hence my definition of heavy in this instance. Yes if I am talking to a friend who is also into lifting and they say "oh im doing heavy squats today" of course I realise its going to be close to one rep max and in 4´s or 5´s or something.

Yes you can achieve muscle fatigue with really high reps, you can achive it with masturbation as well. Not being able to achieve fatigue with high reps wasnt my point, and you know this you are just trying to turn every little thing into an argument instead of presenting something valid.

3 hours on a threadmill is a pretty reasonable amount of time if we are trying to create a deficit without counting calories and just eating untill full every meal. For the regular person this would probably mean light jogging and walking.  

As for 10% bodyfat, pics or it didnt happen my friend. You are so delusional I cant imagine you can pinpoint your bodyfat correctly. 

"You argue about semantics to much, thats because you cant refute my arguments with anything substantial."

What did YOU offer that was substantive. If you did, please excuse me as I missed it...

I already told you why I started this debate, to discuss the negative aspects of "heavy lifting" as you called it. You did do some substantive backpedaling on that subject.

Let's take your current offerings step by step:

1. "Optimal means the best way, the most effective, healthy and sustainable. Of course weight loss means a loss of body fat in this instance, and you know it as well."

Optimal doesn't mean "healthy or sustainable" unless you indicate that. "Optimal" can be interpreted as the most weight lost or the quickest weight loss. "Weight loss" means weight loss. Too many people use this expression because all they are concerned about is weight on the bathroom scales. How many people do you know that have their fat mass accurately measured to determine how much fat they've lost? (perhaps tell us how you do it). Not many as most people use the BMI index. When they lose body weight, they assume it's all fat. Good luck finding someone in Thailand to measure your body fat accurately.

2. "Its just arguing about details and semantics when in fact everybody knows pretty much what I mean."

LOL. You don't need to explain yourself because "everybody knows pretty much" what you mean. Only the people you're arguing with need to explain details and give substantive evidence, but you get a free pass?

3.  "lifting weights can hinder weightloss since a beginner might well gain some muscle mass that replaces the bodyfat beeing lost, on the scale that is"

Not only beginners. I've managed this more than once myself, after more than 30 years of training. I'm in such a phase at present. My weight on the scale is steady, but I'm becoming more ripped as the months roll on. 

4. "Now you are going to mention rowing. Why is this better than lifting for maintaining musclemass?"

Where did I say it's (rowing) better than lifting for maintaining muscle mass? Just for that purpose it's just as good. If I was only concerned with fat loss and maintaining muscle mass AND I had to chose one activity, it would be rowing. Personally I'm concerned with GAINING muscle too, so I do both. If I stopped weight training tomorrow, I could maintain what I have just rowing. Last year I didn't lift for 6 months, just rowed. If you'd seen me you would have thought I was at the gym everyday. That was a pleasant surprise to me - who would have thought it?

Obviously if I just biked or walked on the treadmill I would not be able to maintain much upper body muscle. If you don't use it you lose it, right? It's surprisingly easy to keep what you already have though. Some calisthenics would provide more than enough stimulus to maintain muscle.

5. "And tell me about how your cardio sessions are so vital for fatloss?"

You just can't seem to grasp the concept that getting fit improves overall body function to the point where losing body fat becomes easier. You're stuck on this idea that you have to burn a certain number of calories to lose a certain amount of bodyfat. i.e. approximately 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat. You're a diehard "calories in - calories out" fanboy.

Seeing as you're asking about MY cardio session and why they are vital for MY fat loss, please consider this:

i) My blood sugar, fasting and postprandial are vastly improved. I measure my blood sugar regularly - I have many years of data on this - been testing for over a decade. You can't achieve this with weight training alone. I know - I've tested it both ways (cardio and no cardio).

ii) My triglycerides and cholesterol very quickly come into the optimal zone (normal).  They creep up quickly without cardio.

iii) Blood circulation and blood pressure improve. Resting heart rate drops. V02 max improves.

iv) I start feeling a lot better when I'm fit, both mentally and physically. I feel vitalized. Energized. I don't get that feeling from weight training alone. 

That's my experience. Yours may differ, but you asked me why rowing is vital for MY fat loss.

There is another reason. I'm not a dieter. I don't count calories and I like to eat some junk, such as chocolate, cakes, ice cream. I couldn't stay on a strict diet indefinitely - that would be miserable - and probably why most diets fail. I love my nut butters, eggs and cream. I enjoy fried chicken. I eat a lot of carbs. I like to eat at buffets too, so I can do this and still stay lean. I can literally eat my cake and have it too, as long as I stay dedicated to my cardio. Having said that, I'm no fanatic. I do take time off.

6. "And here we go again with the stupid semantics."

I stopped reading your post after that. You start flaming - end of debate. You call me "stupid", I'll call you "dumb"... you get the point?

4 hours ago, Kaalle said:

What's up here? You can't believe someone who posts on this forum can achieve 10% bodyfat? My goal is to go lower.

I'm not going to post photos on a public forum. Even if I did, how would you know they are mine?

DEXA scan, my friend, that's how I pinpoint my bodyfat accurately, but only when I travel back to Australia. How do you do it?

This is where I go:

http://www.bodycompositionqld.com.au/

I've also done hydrostatic underwater weighing:

https://www.verywell.com/what-is-hydrostatic-underwater-weighing-3120276

(I have photographs and video of being dunked in the weighing tank at Dunedin University in NZ - and about an hour later I had a DEXA scan at the same university hospital to compare results).

Needless to say, I do take these matters quite seriously. If you're going to work your a** off to achieve a goal, you should know exactly where you're at.

Once I have accurate results by DEXA, I compare them with my 9 point pinch caliper results, so I can calibrate. Surprisingly they are very close.

Even if you don't calibrate your pinch caliper results, they are very useful as a comparitive measurement i.e. showing which direction you are going - up or down.

1: No there is not. The optimal (B-E-S-T)  way to reduce your bodyfat is to cut down on calories, keep a high protein intake and have a couple of sessions in the gym lifting weights. Healthy and sustainable is a pretty good definition of the "best" way dont you agree? Or do you think slow and detrimental or something sounds better? I dont understand your point. 

I also mentioned walking as a form of exercise apart from lifting. This is a good option because most people have legs and you can walk fast and for an extended period of time without getting worn out, since revovery is going to be an issue on a calory deficit. And a calori deficit is a must. There is no stomach gnome who sits inside your body pulling a lever with the description"FAT BURNING" in block letters over it, starting up your metabolism like an engine just because you are doing your rowing session or whatever. Maintain muscle mass--->maintain metabolism--->maintain loss of bodyfat over time until your goal is reached. Its not a process thats hinging on cardio sessions, its something constant which I think you havent grasped. 

Starvation diets as in very low calorie works yes, but they work even better when the small amount of calories ingested are made up of protein and its done in conjunction with some lifting, in fact its the optimal choice (im so sorry!).

I got your two posts mixed up so this is answering the previous one too.

2: Yes, when I say weightloss I think most people understand it means getting leaner, loosing bodyfat etc. And is it really a big deal that I chose this term instead of "body fat reduction" or something? Again you latch on to words instead of presenting real arguments. 

3. Congrats im so happy for you. My comment about lifting hindering weightloss was more about humouring your penchant for getting stuck on the very details of terminology instead of the core of the argument.

4. If its not better why choose it over lifting, unless you really hate lifting weights? No way in hell is it as effective in maintaining and/or building muscle mass. Lifting is probably going to be easier and more time effective as well, for most people. Im sure calistenics can do it up to a point but its not the best option and its going to require more effort for sure. Again we are talking about regular people not fitness enthusiasts.

5. You dont burn more fat because you are fit or have slightly more muscle mass than the average person, the difference is marginal. The best way to make sure your body is utlizing body fat and not musclemass on a calorie deficit is by maintaining musclemass. Protein intake, some omega-3 and make sure you get vitamins and minerals from somewhere and after that its pretty much all about calories, wether you like it or not. Again I refer to the stomach gnome or the lack there of, there is no vital fat burning process that you initiate by doing cardio or by beeing fit, its something thats constant, if calories burned are less than those being consumed and you make sure  you do everything right (lots of rowing and spirulina shakes, oh and some hot yoga and ladyboy sessions) you are going to loose bodyfat. 

Im happy you are feeling healthy and energized, but this thread is not foremost about well being on the broader spectrum. Im not going to argue against the benefits of cardio of varying intensity for health and well being and so on, but it doesnt need to be part of a fat loss regiment. An active life style I think is pretty important though, this doesnt have to include cardio, its more about something other than sedentary. 

You cant use yourself as an example since we are talking about the best regiment and set-up for the average Joe or Josephine. Im so fit and I do enough cardio to be able to eat cake and fried chicken, good for you but this is not going to be the case for 99.9% of people. Not saying you are absolutely forced to count calories to be succesful but its a pretty good way to plan and be fairly certain you are going to hit your goal, its not difficult and it doesnt take a lot of time. 

6. But it is stupid to choose to interpret something in a certain way just to start an argument.

As for your body fat percentage my point was since you are incorrect about so many things it didnt feel like a stretch to presume you were incorrect about this as well. But it doesnt really matter. You have low body fat, ok good for you. It wasnt a challenge or an insult. Im not really ripped right know but I have the tools and certainly the mind set to change my body in any direction. I have tried different methods over the years, including cardio without any strenght training and so on and so forth. And I can say both scientifically and empirically what works best, for me and most people. 

6. But it is stupid to choose to interpret something in a certain way just to start an argument.

We agree on that point, so why are you being so stupid then? You attack the messenger, but don't present any solid information.

...  and then when you start arguing, you argue like a 15 year old on a bodybuilding forum.

Archived