Any tips on losing a beer gut ?

billybatson

Lot's of great info! :) I personally do a juice cleanse. 

If you are still in Bangkok. you can find many great companies that do juice cleanses in Bangkok all from cold pressed fruits and vegetables.

Just google search juice cleanse in Bangkok.. or something like that.

Here are two companies in Bangkok that do them. I think there are more as well.

http://www.lifestylejuicery.com/

http://www.clearercleanse.com/

I'd be nice to hear if anyone else on here has also done some juice fasting to lose weight!?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple:

Give up beer.

Bowl of Cereal and banana for breakfast.

Leaf salad with meat (chicken breast/grilled pork or beef) for lunch.

Vegetables (not potatoes) with meat (chicken breast/grilled pork or beef) for dinner.

A little bit of walking in the daytime won't hurt.

Low carbs, low sugars.

Done.

I gave up processed foods 1 year ago, NY resolution, i wasnt fat,just had a beer gut,i was told years ago by a physio that it was a matter of posture,hold your stomach in!! my daily exercise is about 5 mins, some of you will remember Charles Atlas from years ago,the muscle fighting thingy, like pretend you are arm wrestling ect,lifting a heavy weight,walking like in deep water,

A good example is when you stretch and yawn,all your muscles work, you need to do this a lot, you can do it just watching tv,even driving or walking.

My friends know me as a good beer drinker,4/5/6/large Changs every night and they wonder why i dont have a beer gut and look slim,64 yo and fairly fit,its posture control,last year i was waking and going for a leak 3 times a night,now,with this method, only once.

Clench your buttocks [as if to stop a big toilet] pull your nuts up by suking in your stomach [like stopping a pee] and move your arms like you are rowing in sand or similar, if you can keep this up for a minute and are not out of breath you are not doing it right or a very fit person, 

Do be careful if doing this if you have a heart condition,it will make your heart race and your muscles burn,which is what you want to burn off fat,and if you have ED, say goodbye to that!!! blood gets directed to where its needed! this is all free and easy, give it a try....it improves your immune system, among other numerous things, all free..

I have lost 20 pounds over the last 7-8 years , but not in my gut , which still looks like I am 8 months pregnant ,

But  there are so many "theories" of what is good or bad for you....

I am sure more veggies are good for you , if they take up the space in your belly that the large Pizza would have been ,

but what about , rice , potatoes and pasta .....ohhh and bread.....  which are all things that are easy to cook at home.........

Seems a good time add to the roundup of misinformation, half-truths, irrelevancy, contradictions, and mostly uselessness (if amusing) I posted in a similiar thread. Sometimes these are found amid good points w/i the same post. Yes I know you also said something else. Many of these recur continually.

• a matter of posture,hold your stomach in!!
  • Bowl of Cereal and banana for breakfast
  • you sound like an IDEAL candidate for liposuction
  • It's those beers for doing a good job at the gym
  • an enlarged liver can drop into your gut area
  • 5 minutes per day doing gymnastics working these muscles.
  • your parents,if they have a gut chances are you will have one also.
  • AND muscle isolation. understanding how the abdominal muscles work
  • have a glass of water with 2 tablespoons of honey and a freshly squeezed lime.
  • Use the yoga ball to do side crunches for 5 sets of 12-15.
  • Jogging/running damages joints and tendons? That old fable has been proven false many times over.
  • Press ups in the morning on top of your team exercises
  • try more in the line of sit-ups, swimming and jogging
  • just holding your stomach tight for 5 minutes at a time a few times a day
  • Core exercises- squats, deadlifts, pull-ups
  • The chair is your enemy.
  • Go to a gym and get correct instructions there
  • Cleanse your colon and liver.
  • add a few ab targeted exercises to your routine
  • Tea with little honey
  • as soon you burb for the first time, stop eating
  • environmental pollution factors
  • simple strength training program 3 days a week
  • Stick to lean meat . . . and low fat whey protein. Do more condition training.
  • find a variety that will strengthen your abs
  • plastics can cause that. If you drink water from plastic bottles
  • devise a system where you can make those areas cold (ice packs, getting wet etc).
  • take up ballet
  • Stop drinking beer,thats the problem
  • that is trans fats. Very difficult to burn

I am a slim guy.... I am 39.  I am not a gym person... I also don't want bulging muscles or anything like that.

I think my body looks great... its naturally toned from the daily life activities I do.. and I also cycle a lot every day for recreation and fun, rather than for health (about 2 hours a day). 

However, as I have gotten older I have developed a bit of a belly!!!  I am just under the weigh for my height, and have not put on weight for years.. my weight stays stable mostly.  I don't drink beer, or much alcohol, and I don't eat much convenience food. 

So I started to try to diet a bit, thinking it would shrink.  But I just lost weight over my body, and my belly stayed the same!!!!

I don't want to diet anymore... as I don't want to get thinner.

What can I do to reduce the size of my belly?

18 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Seems a good time add to the roundup of misinformation, half-truths, irrelevancy, contradictions, and mostly uselessness (if amusing) I posted in a similiar thread. Sometimes these are found amid good points w/i the same post. Yes I know you also said something else. Many of these recur continually.

• a matter of posture,hold your stomach in!!
  • Bowl of Cereal and banana for breakfast
  • you sound like an IDEAL candidate for liposuction
  • It's those beers for doing a good job at the gym
  • an enlarged liver can drop into your gut area
  • 5 minutes per day doing gymnastics working these muscles.
  • your parents,if they have a gut chances are you will have one also.
  • AND muscle isolation. understanding how the abdominal muscles work
  • have a glass of water with 2 tablespoons of honey and a freshly squeezed lime.
  • Use the yoga ball to do side crunches for 5 sets of 12-15.
  • Jogging/running damages joints and tendons? That old fable has been proven false many times over.
  • Press ups in the morning on top of your team exercises
  • try more in the line of sit-ups, swimming and jogging
  • just holding your stomach tight for 5 minutes at a time a few times a day
  • Core exercises- squats, deadlifts, pull-ups
  • The chair is your enemy.
  • Go to a gym and get correct instructions there
  • Cleanse your colon and liver.
  • add a few ab targeted exercises to your routine
  • Tea with little honey
  • as soon you burb for the first time, stop eating
  • environmental pollution factors
  • simple strength training program 3 days a week
  • Stick to lean meat . . . and low fat whey protein. Do more condition training.
  • find a variety that will strengthen your abs
  • plastics can cause that. If you drink water from plastic bottles
  • devise a system where you can make those areas cold (ice packs, getting wet etc).
  • take up ballet
  • Stop drinking beer,thats the problem
  • that is trans fats. Very difficult to burn

I should ad go low carb.. also a myth - half truth as its not for everyone. It can be useful just like the lean meat and whey, just like the deadlifts and other exercises.. its all true.. but its not just that it needs more. Its always a combination of things that should happen and low carb certainly is not always the solution. 

I can get pretty lean on a bowl of cerael .. actually that is my breakfast.. nut musli with whey protein greek yogurt and some frozen berries. Then again I am not carb sensitive (genetic testing confirms it) and I have no carb phobia like some people. 

Diets are highly personal and people who work out have totally different requirements then those who don't. Carbs are certainly not people's enemy (they are if used wrong but that is why low carb is a half truth and so are all the things you sum up.. also half truths because it requires a combination of things)

8 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I am a slim guy.... I am 39.  I am not a gym person... I also don't want bulging muscles or anything like that.

I think my body looks great... its naturally toned from the daily life activities I do.. and I also cycle a lot every day for recreation and fun, rather than for health (about 2 hours a day). 

However, as I have gotten older I have developed a bit of a belly!!!  I am just under the weigh for my height, and have not put on weight for years.. my weight stays stable mostly.  I don't drink beer, or much alcohol, and I don't eat much convenience food. 

So I started to try to diet a bit, thinking it would shrink.  But I just lost weight over my body, and my belly stayed the same!!!!

I don't want to diet anymore... as I don't want to get thinner.

What can I do to reduce the size of my belly?

Belly fat is often a sign of either insulin resistance or low testostorone (insulin resistancecan happen if you eat too much carbs but in your case all the cycling would have helped making you not insulin resistance as cardio and lifting helps against it) You might just have low testostorone and also the fat on the belly is almost always the last to go. So its normal you lose weight on the rest of your body before you fat on your belly. You could go to a gym and build some muscle (so you don't look too thin) and meanwhile keep the diet on and lose the last of your belly-fat. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I should ad go low carb.. also a myth - half truth as its not for everyone.

No. After a discussion, with one balloon popped after another, you finally worked up to "it's not for Olympic athletes." :cheesy: Already discussed thoroughly here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695688-low-carb-just-for-j-sixpack/  so interested readers may go there. As I've always agreed, starve-and-sweat will work, so everyone's invited to try it first, no problem.

On 1/17/2014 at 9:09 AM, robblok said:

J sixpack,

Find me a lab controlled test (not self reporting of food so one where the lab prepared the meals) showing that low carb is better.

You don't need that, wouldn't read it, wouldn't understand it, wouldn't believe it, would ignore it, distort it, and lie about it. What would be the point?

My point is that rather than starving themselves and working their butts off in the gym (both unnecessary and unlikely to work very long for most people) while waiting until robblok(!) gives the "all clear" signal for the low carb diet, people who want to lose weight should simply try the low carb diet for themselves following one of its respected and well-reviewed advocates. It has a few variations. Why just take robblok's assurance that it "won't work?"

I used to think as robblok, but I was smart enough to wise up and I'm glad I did. Countless others will affirm the same. Now, if doesn't work for you, then, hell, just go back to starving and sweating! smile.png What do I care? Starving and sweating WILL work for weight loss if you can do enough of it, keep it up, and don't injure yourself.

On 1/17/2014 at 9:36 AM, robblok said:

Low carbs usually seem to say you can eat what you want and loose weight

No low carb diet says any such thing. In that case, why would it be a diet? Why don't you quote any source saying that nonsense--MORE of your nonsense.

Well, robblok, I think it must boil down to your not having learned to read well in school, too blinded by your huge investment in being a gym rat, or just being too stupid. (Hence I'm not going to bother w/ further response, but simply link back to previous responses.) Low carb isn't perfect, and if you gave some of its actual downsides, I'd be happy to agree with you. But then you'd really have to know something. Not knowing anything except perhaps from some google snippet, you just distort and lie about it and make up nonsensical examples.

Since you don't like the low carb diet, don't know much about it, don't know any details of a particular low carb diet from an established authority, don't want to know, won't listen, and keep repeating the same nonsense about it, then why not just stay off the subject and stop misinforming and misleading overweight people who might want to give it a try? We've all heard you now--repeatedly.

There's not an overweight person on the planet who doesn't know, or hasn't already tried, your ol' starvation and sweat methods for the simple minded and masochistic.

If you really want to help people, as I do--what could possibly be any other motivation for my wasting my time here--it would be a lot more helpful for such people if you'd just stick to your expertise about how to do a proper deadlift, the best way to skin a chicken breast, drink a big glass of water before a meal to make yourself feel full, etc., etc. Good? I've got no problem with your advising how to starve and sweat

Go to champagne...ok.. done, did it for the year... reached.. 3k  now. I can move on.. 555 

Happy new years all, enjoy the holidays, be safe... Enjoy what Thailand has to offer your own unique situation and preferences.  We stay because we decided to put up with all the immigration nonsense because we do...  It is what we do and how we define what is important now.

Have a great 2017...

Burrito Thai Styke.jpg

42 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No. After a discussion, with one balloon popped after another, you finally worked up to "it's not for Olympic athletes." :cheesy: Already discussed thoroughly here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695688-low-carb-just-for-j-sixpack/  so interested readers may go there. As I've always agreed, starve-and-sweat will work, so everyone's invited to try it first, no problem.

You don't need that, wouldn't read it, wouldn't understand it, wouldn't believe it, would ignore it, distort it, and lie about it. What would be the point?

My point is that rather than starving themselves and working their butts off in the gym (both unnecessary and unlikely to work very long for most people) while waiting until robblok(!) gives the "all clear" signal for the low carb diet, people who want to lose weight should simply try the low carb diet for themselves following one of its respected and well-reviewed advocates. It has a few variations. Why just take robblok's assurance that it "won't work?"

I used to think as robblok, but I was smart enough to wise up and I'm glad I did. Countless others will affirm the same. Now, if doesn't work for you, then, hell, just go back to starving and sweating! smile.png What do I care? Starving and sweating WILL work for weight loss if you can do enough of it, keep it up, and don't injure yourself.

No low carb diet says any such thing. In that case, why would it be a diet? Why don't you quote any source saying that nonsense--MORE of your nonsense.

Well, robblok, I think it must boil down to your not having learned to read well in school, too blinded by your huge investment in being a gym rat, or just being too stupid. (Hence I'm not going to bother w/ further response, but simply link back to previous responses.) Low carb isn't perfect, and if you gave some of its actual downsides, I'd be happy to agree with you. But then you'd really have to know something. Not knowing anything except perhaps from some google snippet, you just distort and lie about it and make up nonsensical examples.

Since you don't like the low carb diet, don't know much about it, don't know any details of a particular low carb diet from an established authority, don't want to know, won't listen, and keep repeating the same nonsense about it, then why not just stay off the subject and stop misinforming and misleading overweight people who might want to give it a try? We've all heard you now--repeatedly.

There's not an overweight person on the planet who doesn't know, or hasn't already tried, your ol' starvation and sweat methods for the simple minded and masochistic.

If you really want to help people, as I do--what could possibly be any other motivation for my wasting my time here--it would be a lot more helpful for such people if you'd just stick to your expertise about how to do a proper deadlift, the best way to skin a chicken breast, drink a big glass of water before a meal to make yourself feel full, etc., etc. Good? I've got no problem with your advising how to starve and sweat

OH dear an other that sees low carb as a religion.. 

Low carb is not for people who do serious sports and that I went to Olympic athletes  was quite simple because you came with some (minority sportsmen who do go low carb). In general its not for people who do serious sports period. That there is a minority that does does not make it any other way.

I know quite a lot about low carbs and that its not needed.. its just an other way of restricting calories as you said yourself why else call it a diet. Fat sedimentary people do respond well to it because they are often insulin resistant and going low carb can cure that. 

No need to starve at all when you diet if you keep your deficit small enough.. I guess that goes over your head.

Now go on bow to the religion of low carb and burn anyone with different opinions on the stake. That is kind of your attitude. 

You have to much invested into being lazy that you don't want anything but low carb.. oh that is not nice to say.. but its kinda the same thing you said. If you don't have arguments you attack the people who wrote it.. and that is exactly what you have done.

Low carb CAN be good.. but its not a cure all for everyone and other diets work too. PERIOD. You so much like attacking other diets and exercise but when someone says something bad about low carb you go postal. I guess you really do treat it like a religion. Problem is people who see things as a religion seldom think clear or keep an open mind. Your a prime example of it. 

As for me not knowing anything about low carb, you do know I read good calories bad calories so an other lie by you. 

On 12/27/2016 at 11:22 PM, francofunghi said:

The gut will leave you the last step. Before you should work hard for a long time with deficite of calories. No pain no gain) you can! 

Gut fat i.e. the fat responsible for a distended abdomen is mainly visceral fat, inside the abdominal cavity. This fat is easier to remove than subcutaneous fat i.e. the fat you can pinch.

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

•  

Jogging/running causes more joint and tendon injuries than all the other exercises combined. I estimate that more than half of the joggers I see at the park are running with injuries. Add age and weight to the equation and it's an insane choice of exercise for fat loss.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Belly fat is often a sign of either insulin resistance or low testostorone (insulin resistancecan happen if you eat too much carbs but in your case all the cycling would have helped making you not insulin resistance as cardio and lifting helps against it) You might just have low testostorone and also the fat on the belly is almost always the last to go. So its normal you lose weight on the rest of your body before you fat on your belly. You could go to a gym and build some muscle (so you don't look too thin) and meanwhile keep the diet on and lose the last of your belly-fat. 

Would there be other symptoms to low testosterone? You got me worried. 

I hope I have not got that.  I have a high sex drive and usually 'do it' at lease once a day... every day all year!!  No problems in the bedroom department. 

19 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Would there be other symptoms to low testosterone? You got me worried. 

I hope I have not got that.  I have a high sex drive and usually 'do it' at lease once a day... every day all year!!  No problems in the bedroom department. 

Just get a test done if your worried.. will be under 1000bt in clinics.

Anyway it could just be that your not as slim as you think you are and you still need to lose more weight.. fact is belly fat is often the last to go. But there is a big difference between belly fat and having a beer gut.. 

I guess J-sixpack is a runner, now I understand why he thinks athletes can go low carb. For runners and other long distance athletes a totally different energy system is used than for athletes who need fast power-explosions. The latter can't work out good when they go low carb but runners can because they can switch to ketones and that is good for the kind of energy runners need.. not people who need explosive power. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Anyway it could just be that your not as slim as you think you are and you still need to lose more weight.. fact is belly fat is often the last to go. But there is a big difference between belly fat and having a beer gut.. 

500 baht at my clinic in Pattaya. That's Life Care Clinic. It's a good idea to get estradiol (E2) tested when you check testosterone. That's another 600 baht.

Rob, I believe the visceral belly fat is quick to go (comparatively), so the bulk of a beer belly can quickly disappear. The other subcutaneous fat covering the abs is harder to get rid of. Everyone lays down fat differently. I store a lot of fat on my upper and middle back, which doesn't go away even at 10% overall body fat. It can be very frustrating trying to move the last of the fat.

Another big concern would be loose skin. Those "9-month pregnant" guys would have huge folds of loose skin to contend with once they lose their bellies. Only surgery can fix that.

On 12/31/2016 at 0:36 PM, robblok said:

OH dear an other that sees low carb as a religion..

No. I've often said here that any of the recognized established diets will work if one can stick to them. Low-carb has the best rate of compliance nowadays 'cause people find it easier. Trouble is that its been disparaged for so long that people aren't aware of its acceptance particularly in the last, say, 7 years. As it's so opposite the old received "wisdom" and seemingly counterintuitive, it gets typically derided by the simple-minded and those clinging to outdated theories. ;) I bring it up, as I've said, 'cause so many people find it easier and find that it does work well for weight loss. And it's got some good science and studies behind it.

In general its not for people who do serious sports period. That there is a minority that does does not make it any other way.

That there is a minority for whom it works well does make it for people who do serious sports. Logic, logic. Maybe more sportsmen should try it. :)

But your assertion is just as irrelevant here as it always has been. The thing is, I'm writing for the questioners in the I'm Too Fat forum. These are fat mostly sedentary people and they're looking for a way to lose weight. "Period." They've tried the conventional methods including your starve-and-sweat. (Right, didn't sweat enough.) Or if they haven't tried them, then they certainly know of them. So recommending low carb, and intermittent fasting, is what's most likely to be helpful for them. And if they stick to it--as they have a greater likelihood of doing--it will help ALL of them. Starve-and-sweat isn't going to help them because they're definitely not going to do THAT to any meaningful extent.

You see there are no serious sportsmen coming here to the I'm Too Fat forum asking about losing their beer guts. There are no Olympic athletes here. :cheesy: If ever in the history of this forum there ever has been ONE--only ONE--please direct us to him/her and quote the post. Signa-traz, ultramarathoner-wanna-be, refused to try low-carb in his weight loss program and managed to lose a couple of kilos in 5 years. ;)

Fat sedimentary people do respond well to it because they are often insulin resistant and going low carb can cure that.

Exactly. That's partly why it's not my "nonsense list." I may have to put testosterone on there now though. :) But you see it helps fat people even if they're NOT insulin resistant and helps prevent that condition (and more). If you'd have done it in the first place, you'd not have become insulin resistant yourself. :)  You're kinda a poster boy FOR low-carb actually.

No need to starve at all when you diet if you keep your deficit small enough.. I guess that goes over your head.

No, what's over your head is that the vast majority of people can't achieve the deficit needed while addicted to carbs and so keeping up the high carb intake. They do consider that means to deficit as starving and it's SO unpleasant being hungry that they won't keep it up. Our members seeking help here have tried that already and failed.

As for me not knowing anything about low carb, you do know I read good calories bad calories so an other lie by you. 

Hardly a lie. I never said you didn't read it. ;)

On 12/31/2016 at 4:48 PM, robblok said:

athletes who need fast power-explosions . . . people who need explosive power. 

That has never ever been the issue for ANY poster in the history of this forum who has come here 'cause he's too fat. How can I lose my fat yet maintain my explosive power??? And why would a TVF poster here need--NEED--fast power-explosions? Escape from the law or a knife-wielding gf? Yeah, right. You're on the wrong forum entirely. I guess we have to preface any low-carb diet advice to our overweight supplicants with "Now if you need those ol' fast power-explosions, as you surely do, just ignore the following . . . and don't give up that muesli!!!" (I think your main object all along is merely to protect at all costs your beloved muesli from attack.)

No. I've often said here that any of the recognized established diets will work if one can stick to them. Low-carb has the best rate of compliance nowadays 'cause people find it easier. Trouble is that its been disparaged for so long that people aren't aware of its acceptance particularly in the last, say, 7 years. As it's so opposite the old received "wisdom" and seemingly counterintuitive, it gets typically derided by the simple-minded and those clinging to outdated theories. ;) I bring it up, as I've said, 'cause so many people find it easier and find that it does work well for weight loss. And it's got some good science and studies behind it.

Then we are in agreement.

Exactly. That's partly why it's not my "nonsense list." I may have to put testosterone on there now though. :) But you see it helps fat people even if they're NOT insulin resistant and helps prevent that condition (and more). If you'd have done it in the first place, you'd not have become insulin resistant yourself. :)  You're kinda a poster boy FOR low-carb actually.

Sure but as you said other diets work too, but I agree that this often works better, but its not for everyone

Hardly a lie. I never said you didn't read it.  

Not only did i read it.. I also did low carb dieting.. it just did not work for me even after the adjustment period. Training went awful, normal work suffered. Low carb is just not for me (neither is high carb)

About the athlethes.. there are plenty of people here who lift and still need to lose weight.. for them low carb is just not an option. Long ago I had a friend who had a big belly and lifted.. he got rid of it by cardio.. reduction of food intake and lifting. But he also tried low carb and his strenght workouts suffered too much so he quit. 

I am just saying low carb is not for everyone.. but it certainly works (often better than other diets if the people starting it are insulin resistant)

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2016 at 4:37 PM, robblok said:

Belly fat may be the last to go, but for those with the misnomered 'beer gut' it is mostly water retention caused by carbs.

So (as in my case) a 15 kgs loss of weight and a 6 inch loss of waist size may be all that is needed to make a person feel and look better without the next drastic step of exercise or calorific dieting.

And I did that without a reduction in beer intake.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Belly fat may be the last to go, but for those with the misnomered 'beer gut' it is mostly water retention caused by carbs.

So (as in my case) a 15 kgs loss of weight and a 6 inch loss of waist size may be all that is needed to make a person feel and look better without the next drastic step of exercise or calorific dieting.

And I did that without a reduction in beer intake.

It depends on what you call belly fat. The visceral fat inside the abdominal cavity is often the first to go, before the subcutaneous fat on the belly. Visceral fat is not "water retention", it's real fat, stored around the organs in the belly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2016 at 5:47 PM, tropo said:

500 baht at my clinic in Pattaya. That's Life Care Clinic. It's a good idea to get estradiol (E2) tested when you check testosterone. That's another 600 baht.

Rob, I believe the visceral belly fat is quick to go (comparatively), so the bulk of a beer belly can quickly disappear. The other subcutaneous fat covering the abs is harder to get rid of. Everyone lays down fat differently. I store a lot of fat on my upper and middle back, which doesn't go away even at 10% overall body fat. It can be very frustrating trying to move the last of the fat.

Another big concern would be loose skin. Those "9-month pregnant" guys would have huge folds of loose skin to contend with once they lose their bellies. Only surgery can fix that.

Does your clinic do testosterone injections? I found my test score below the measureable scale again but I can not inject myself.  I am a chicken and tried that some years ago.  I just could not do it.

My progress has been going from 99 Kilo to 88.1 Kilo from june of last year to nov. with a break of over 2 and half months to visit family in the USA.  I found intermittent fasting very helpful and checking my carbs against the glycemic load factor.  Obviously not all carbs are created equal.  I like the youtube video (look it up yourself) where a diet doctor holds up a packet of sugar and a brocili flowerlette and says..."Science just has it wrong...these are not the same thing!"  So in regards to the carb debate that is raging away here I use raw fruits and vegetables but no processed carbs like processed oatmeal (truly not a good food);but do use steel cut oats since the glycemic load factor is so much lower with non-processed oats.  No pasta, no rice, no white potatoes, no bread, no bakery products.  No sugar added products at all!  No breakfast cereals or musli.  Its tough and I have a cheat day.  However, I usually have my cheat day with an old friend that is now a type II diabetic and frankly his behavior scares me to the straight narrow pretty fast.  I don't know exactly where this comes down in our debate here.  I do weight lifting and cardio and purchased a fitbit for my second stab at weight loss here in Thailand on my retirement quest to get the fat off.  I am hoping to take off another 10 kilos.  I did read the big best selling glycemic diet book and the IF book by Jason Fung.  Both are very helpful.  If I had any advice it would be great rid of OATMEAL and replace it with steel cut oats.

5 hours ago, dontoearth said:

My progress has been going from 99 Kilo to 88.1 Kilo from june of last year to nov. with a break of over 2 and half months to visit family in the USA.  I found intermittent fasting very helpful and checking my carbs against the glycemic load factor.  Obviously not all carbs are created equal.  I like the youtube video (look it up yourself) where a diet doctor holds up a packet of sugar and a brocili flowerlette and says..."Science just has it wrong...these are not the same thing!"  So in regards to the carb debate that is raging away here I use raw fruits and vegetables but no processed carbs like processed oatmeal (truly not a good food);but do use steel cut oats since the glycemic load factor is so much lower with non-processed oats.  No pasta, no rice, no white potatoes, no bread, no bakery products.  No sugar added products at all!  No breakfast cereals or musli.  Its tough and I have a cheat day.  However, I usually have my cheat day with an old friend that is now a type II diabetic and frankly his behavior scares me to the straight narrow pretty fast.  I don't know exactly where this comes down in our debate here.  I do weight lifting and cardio and purchased a fitbit for my second stab at weight loss here in Thailand on my retirement quest to get the fat off.  I am hoping to take off another 10 kilos.  I did read the big best selling glycemic diet book and the IF book by Jason Fung.  Both are very helpful.  If I had any advice it would be great rid of OATMEAL and replace it with steel cut oats.

Congratulations on your progress. If you want to put your 11kg fat loss into perspective, pick up a packet of meat weighing 11kg. That's a lot of meat.

Be careful not to become anorexic. It does happen with people on serious fat loss programs. They become frightened of food. You're better off weighing more on a balanced healthy diet than eating next to nothing.

6 hours ago, dontoearth said:

Does your clinic do testosterone injections? I found my test score below the measureable scale again but I can not inject myself.  I am a chicken and tried that some years ago.  I just could not do it.

I think you'll find most clinics in Pattaya will do it for you for about 50 baht. I'm a DIY guy.

Archived