Any tips on losing a beer gut ?

billybatson

The BBC journalist who tried the intermittent fasting says

"I could get through my fast days best if I had a light breakfast (scrambled eggs, thin slice of ham, lots of black tea, lots of water and herbal tea during the day, then a light dinner (grilled fish with lots of vegetables) at night."

So his idea of fasting is skipping lunch, basically. biggrin.png

And low (no) carbs so he doesn't get hungry.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 years back upon arriving in Laos i had developed a beer gut, 1m75 & went from 68 to 75kg and moved to beer lao which is made from rice. beer gut receded 80% and I was back to 67-68kg in about 6+ months. No exercise whatsoever but must admit I changed my diet somewhat to 2 meals a day, less restaurants / more asian food (60%) - & I still eat bread.

It just went away to my surprise as I drink almost daily 1 liter+ (I do add ice which helps avoid dehydration ;-) ) - way more at weddings, parties etc.

Nowadays when I have lager beer I don't drink as much for some reason...
My personal conclusion: rice beer + less food intake and less meat made it happen - maybe worth trying if you don't want to quit drinking and exercise a lot just to get the gut back as soon as you stop the regimen.

6 years back upon arriving in Laos i had developed a beer gut, 1m75 & went from 68 to 75kg and moved to beer lao which is made from rice. beer gut receded 80% and I was back to 67-68kg in about 6+ months. No exercise whatsoever but must admit I changed my diet somewhat to 2 meals a day, less restaurants / more asian food (60%) - & I still eat bread.

It just went away to my surprise as I drink almost daily 1 liter+ (I do add ice which helps avoid dehydration ;-) ) - way more at weddings, parties etc.

My personal conclusion: rice beer + less food intake and less meat made it happen - maybe worth trying if you don't want to quit drinking and exercise a lot just to get the gut back as soon as you stop the regimen.

The magical rice beer!

Well, what fantastic diet. Drink more beer & eat less! tongue.png Actually I think a lot of penniless farangs in Pattaya are on that diet--but with the wrong beer--Chang--so they're still waddling around w/ their beer guts.

The magical rice beer!

Well, what fantastic diet. Drink more beer & eat less! tongue.png Actually I think a lot of penniless farangs in Pattaya are on that diet--but with the wrong beer--Chang--so they're still waddling around w/ their beer guts.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

But it does work to some extend if you are young enough....When I studied I never ate breakfast. Eat lunch and evening was mostly party time very little or no food. But a lot alcohol.

Also beer but mostly wine.

Also there was published a diet with skipping dinner and party with vodka instead.

Only alc doesn't end as fat easily....considering that you are young and healthy it works, specially as you don't need a breakfast with the hang over.....And it is only for the people who don't need to work

Day 4 now for me on this low-carb diet. Have to say I'm struggling because the protein and fat foods aren't filling me at all. I'm hungry all the time now sad.png

eat more of it.....Also it will need a few days to get adjusted.

Write what you eat....say today or yesterday.....

Ok, here's my diet so far....

Day 1

Breakfast - mug of tea, spot of milk, no sugar

Lunch - scrambled eggs (2)

Dinner – roast chicken with garden peas

Late Evening - mug of tea

In between snack - cashew nuts (roasted, salt and black pepper)

Other drinks - 4 glasses of water

Day 2

Breakfast – boiled egg, spoonful of mayo, mug of tea

Lunch – stir fry red peppers, challots, tomatoes, peas, roast chicken

Dinner – vegetable soup (onions, challots, chillies, garlic, red pepper, carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, tomatoes, plum tomatoes, veg stock)

In between snack – cashew nuts

Other Drinks - 4 glasses of water

Day 3

Breakfast – scrambled eggs with some cheddar cheese, mug of tea

Lunch – pork sausage (1), fried egg (1), challots

Dinner – roast chicken and tomatoes

Evening - bowl of vegetable soup

Snacks – cashews

Day 4

Breakfast – fried bacon (2 slices), egg (1), mug of tea

Lunch - fried pork sausage (1) and scrambled egg (2)

Dinner – stir fry tuna (tinned) with garden peas and thai shrimp paste

Evening - mug of tea

I'll be doing some food shopping tomorrow so any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Day 1

Day 2

Dinner – vegetable soup (onions, challots, chillies, garlic, red pepper, carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, tomatoes, plum tomatoes, veg stock)

Day 3

Snacks – cashews

Day 4

Evening - mug of tea

For me it seems like it is too little food, but I am no calorie counter...maybe someone else can comment....

I eat in between always boiled eggs or protein shakes

like 2 mug or tea and 4 glass of water seems a bit small amount of liquid....but don't know your glass sizes....

So my idea would be to eat more, specially on the beginning of a low carb diet you should not focus on reducing the amount of food.

I don't see much vegetables....maybe you can increase on these....like mixed salad with boiled eggs or Greek cheese? Or at least a vitamin tablet.

not a big problem but the pork sausage doesn't fit in well....most probably it has many carbs as they replace meat with cheap carbs....

I would say you don't eat enough....but please someone else also comment on it.....how is your weight reacting?

This thread has reminded me that many years ago I lost a lot of weight, following Briffa and Atkins, meaning high protein, zero carbs. That weight stayed off for many years. Hunger, what hunger - and I always work on a one meal, sometimes two a day, anyway.

Something I found was that making that one meal a day breakfast was very effective - maximum burn-off before bedtime. I'm back on high protein, no carb again. It's difficult in China (where I am for the summer), without ready availability of prepared pulses, but the new dimension I've founds, thanks to listening to Briffa's new material is the power of the nut.

I should have added that I'm drinking only water (I swear 100% fruit juices aren't as healthy as they sound), as before; and I'm, anyway, vegan.

The nut is working well! If expensively!

This thread has reminded me that many years ago I lost a lot of weight, following Briffa and Atkins, meaning high protein, zero carbs. That weight stayed off for many years. Hunger, what hunger - and I always work on a one meal, sometimes two a day, anyway.

Something I found was that making that one meal a day breakfast was very effective - maximum burn-off before bedtime. I'm back on high protein, no carb again. It's difficult in China (where I am for the summer), without ready availability of prepared pulses, but the new dimension I've founds, thanks to listening to Briffa's new material is the power of the nut.

I should have added that I'm drinking only water (I swear 100% fruit juices aren't as healthy as they sound), as before; and I'm, anyway, vegan.

The nut is working well! If expensively!

how you do zero carbs when vegan?

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Snacks – cashews

Day 4

Evening - mug of tea

For me it seems like it is too little food, but I am no calorie counter...maybe someone else can comment....

like 2 mug or tea and 4 glass of water seems a bit small amount of liquid....but don't know your glass sizes....

So my idea would be to eat more, specially on the beginning of a low carb diet you should not focus on reducing the amount of food.

I don't see much vegetables....maybe you can increase on these....like mixed salad with boiled eggs or Greek cheese? Or at least a vitamin tablet.

not a big problem but the pork sausage doesn't fit in well....most probably it has many carbs as they replace meat with cheap carbs....

I would say you don't eat enough....but please someone else also comment on it.....how is your weight reacting?

+1.

Eat more low-carb foods. How about throwing in some Greek yoghurt? Very filling. Use lots of olive oil (with, say, Italian spices) as a salad dressing. You don't want to be too hungry--then you'll give up. All the low-carb gurus say to eat until you're full. Trick is to be sure stop eating when you're full!

Takes about 2 weeks to overcome carb addiction.

On the diet above, you're sure to lose weight though.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Snacks – cashews

Day 4

Evening - mug of tea

+1.

Eat more low-carb foods. How about throwing in some Greek yoghurt? Very filling. You don't want to be too hungry--then you'll give up. All the low-carb gurus say to eat until you're full. Trick is to be sure stop eating when you're full!

Takes about 2 weeks to overcome carb addiction.

On the diet above, you're sure to lose weight though.

I would say on the beginning of a low (no, whatever) carb diet it doesn't matter if overeating, important is not to give up.....Than when adjusted to it, it is much easier to slowly reduce the fat in the diet. If low (no) carb with reduced fat you can't overeat --- no way unless you belong to the family Felidae....

Well and always drink enough.....

Water

Soda Water

home made tea

anything that has no sugar....

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Snacks – cashews

Day 4

Evening - mug of tea

I have had success with soups. This one as a filler or possible lunch:

6 large onions, 2 green peppers, 4 whole tomatoes (fresh or canned), 1 head of cabbage, 1 large stalk of celery. Season with dry onion soup mix. Cut vegetables and cover with water in a large pot. Boil for 10 minutes, cover, lower heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Soup can be eaten at any time when you feel hungry. Eat as much as you wish and as often as you like.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Snacks – cashews

Day 4

Evening - mug of tea

I have had success with soups. This one as a filler or possible lunch:

6 large onions, 2 green peppers, 4 whole tomatoes (fresh or canned), 1 head of cabbage, 1 large stalk of celery. Season with dry onion soup mix. Cut vegetables and cover with water in a large pot. Boil for 10 minutes, cover, lower heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Soup can be eaten at any time when you feel hungry. Eat as much as you wish and as often as you like.

well, add half a kg pork/beef or chicken....

Thanks for the ongoing feedback. Yes I can see now that I'm not eating enough. I think I'm still adjusting to meals without carbs - I just never realised how much of my old diet was taken up by carbs. Obviously a large percentage, too large. My plan is to exclude as many carbs as possible to begin with (to kick start the fat burning process), and then gradually add more carbs but to find the right balance. Anyone know what kind of percentage of your diet should be carbs ? I keep thinking of the Thais, the Chinese, the Japanese - renowned for their healthy diets but they eat plenty of carbs - (rice and noodles) - so it must be down to the balance. Does Briffa or any other expert recommend a maximum percentage for carbs? Or is it different for everyone?

Thanks for the ongoing feedback. Yes I can see now that I'm not eating enough. I think I'm still adjusting to meals without carbs - I just never realised how much of my old diet was taken up by carbs. Obviously a large percentage, too large. My plan is to exclude as many carbs as possible to begin with (to kick start the fat burning process), and then gradually add more carbs but to find the right balance. Anyone know what kind of percentage of your diet should be carbs ? I keep thinking of the Thais, the Chinese, the Japanese - renowned for their healthy diets but they eat plenty of carbs - (rice and noodles) - so it must be down to the balance. Does Briffa or any other expert recommend a maximum percentage for carbs? Or is it different for everyone?

Well, I eat a big musli with protein powder in the morning but no further carbs. If this is too much or too little for you depends on you. But I would avoid all fast carbs: sugar, white rice, etc.. It is a bit of testing and feeling what is good for you.....

Well I doubt that the Chinese diet is healthy....as much as possible from the fat pork with white rice and a lot of alcohol is the usual Chinese diet......

Looks like the Chinese have become afflicted with western diet habits. The Japanese are reportedly the least obsese nation in the developed world (around 3% of the population compared with 26% for the UK, and 36% for the US). They eat a lot of rice don't they?. And I notice Italy aren't doing too badly (at 10%) and are one of the lowest in Europe. All that pasta (my fav) w00t.gif

source : http://www.noo.org.uk/NOO_about_obesity/adult_obesity/international

Looks like the Chinese have become afflicted with western diet habits. The Japanese are reportedly the least obsese nation in the developed world (around 3% of the population compared with 26% for the UK, and 36% for the US). They eat a lot of rice don't they?. And I notice Italy aren't doing too badly (at 10%) and are one of the lowest in Europe. All that pasta (my fav) w00t.gif

Japanese eat small portions, get a bit more exercise, and eat less rice than you might think. But obesity is merely the extreme case of overweight. One can be overweight without being obese and thus suffer the many problems associated with it--diabetes, hypertension, arteriosclerosis, etc. I'm sure you personally know of such cases? I do. Besides avoiding such, at ideal body weight, with some exercise, you enjoy feeling and looking your best.

post-14882-0-22839500-1383384840_thumb.j

I don't know if it was just coincident but I have seen many rich Chinese who only ate the fat meat (Chinese food) and didn't even touch the rice. But China is so big.....It is like saying European food and assuming that Italian an Swedish eat the same things.....

Italians not fat: I would say it is because they care a lot how they look like and try to keep slim. It is a cultural thing. After trying I start to love the whole wheat noddles....My wife hates them so, but I think they taste like a mix between bread and pasta.....

If you really want to know exactly where you stand you can get your testosterone levels checked at the hospital. I do this periodically by simply presenting myself to the hospital's lab and asking for my levels to be checked. I think it costs me 900 baht. The more abdominal fat the more likely one is suffering from low testosterone levels. Low testosterone makes losing fat more difficult but the more fat one loses the more testosterone one will have thus making losing fat progressively easier.

If your levels are too low you could consider testosterone replacement therapy or taking an estrogen inhibitor such as Arimidex. Once your fat has been lost then the therapy may no longer be necessary. There are many hospitals and clinics that offer this therapy.

This is the way I do it so I have no reservations in recommending it to others.

Fruit for breakfast.

Salad for lunch.

Steamed chicken or fish for dinner with some vegetables.

Some exercise during the day. Just giving the missus a good one every day before lunch would suffice.

2-3 months and it won't fail. smile.png

After that don't go back to your old eating habits. Light breakfast, light lunch, light dinner. :)

If you really want to know exactly where you stand you can get your testosterone levels checked at the hospital. I do this periodically by simply presenting myself to the hospital's lab and asking for my levels to be checked. I think it costs me 900 baht. The more abdominal fat the more likely one is suffering from low testosterone levels. Low testosterone makes losing fat more difficult but the more fat one loses the more testosterone one will have thus making losing fat progressively easier.

If your levels are too low you could consider testosterone replacement therapy or taking an estrogen inhibitor such as Arimidex. Once your fat has been lost then the therapy may no longer be necessary. There are many hospitals and clinics that offer this therapy.

I think also muscle training increases the testosterone.

What I always worry is if you add testosterone the body produces less itself and you get more and more depending on the replacement.

What I always worry is if you add testosterone the body produces less itself and you get more and more depending on the replacement.

If the therapy is administered by a qualified specialist then one would probably not suffer from dependence and the therapy might only be needed short term until the fat is lost.

I have done replacement therapy off and on for about 14 years. My doctor is very good and ethical; he will not give any patient more than the physiological dose that one's body would normally produce so no one is going to become a bodybuilder with him.

Weight training, in moderation, does increase testosterone production but if done beyond moderation testosterone availability will decrease. There's a reason "musclemen" have a reputation for be under performers in bed.

@h90

Some vegetables are zero carbs, some very low. Think salad leaves. Sure, other vegetables, often roots, are very high in carbs. Watch out for those. For instance, I wouldn't touch a potato or sweet potato with a barge-pole. It's also useful to know which vegetables are very high in protein eg chick peas (which are also a great fibre source).

Fascinating stuff on testosterone.

We seem to be going in a direction that out-and-out body-building practice might have some interesting information for us all. Anybody know of a website or book that pulls body-building information, even sports nutrition more broadly, into the realm of relevance to the average Joe?

If the therapy is administered by a qualified specialist then one would probably not suffer from dependence and the therapy might only be needed short term until the fat is lost.

I have done replacement therapy off and on for about 14 years. My doctor is very good and ethical; he will not give any patient more than the physiological dose that one's body would normally produce so no one is going to become a bodybuilder with him.

Weight training, in moderation, does increase testosterone production but if done beyond moderation testosterone availability will decrease. There's a reason "musclemen" have a reputation for be under performers in bed.

Well overdoing weight training leads to overtraining which has exactly the opposite effects of what we want.....

That under performer in bed is a complete different story.....On steroids they a horny like a tree full of monkeys and surely perform perfect. But when they are off steroids they are lack of one testosterone and way too much estrogen and sexual active as a dead fish....

Beside that in their testosterone time their nuts are shrinking....

@h90

Some vegetables are zero carbs, some very low. Think salad leaves. Sure, other vegetables, often roots, are very high in carbs. Watch out for those. For instance, I wouldn't touch a potato or sweet potato with a barge-pole. It's also useful to know which vegetables are very high in protein eg chick peas (which are also a great fibre source).

Fascinating stuff on testosterone.

We seem to be going in a direction that out-and-out body-building practice might have some interesting information for us all. Anybody know of a website or book that pulls body-building information, even sports nutrition more broadly, into the realm of relevance to the average Joe?

no don't know really.....plenty of contradicting information on the net....search read and be critic......

Keep in mind that most magazines and webpages are owned or sponsored by the same companies that makes the supplements.... and there is a lot money in that business.....so if you see Mr. 150kg pure muscle who tells that he would never use any anabolics and got his body with hard training, diet and the supplements from company XY is lying......Youtube has also some interesting videos.....but don't believe everything.....

Well overdoing weight training leads to overtraining which has exactly the opposite effects of what we want.....

That under performer in bed is a complete different story.....On steroids they a horny like a tree full of monkeys and surely perform perfect. But when they are off steroids they are lack of one testosterone and way too much estrogen and sexual active as a dead fish....

Even natural athletes and bodybuilders will have low serum testosterone levels during their training months. This is because the testosterone they have is being used up to recuperate from the training and the more muscle one has the more testosterone is used to maintain the muscle.

There a reason soldiers in basic training don't wake up with erections: their bodies are adjusting to the new physical demands required of them and their testosterone is going to their muscles and not to the other body part.

Take the middle way in everything. Not enough exercise and the body produces less testosterone. Do too much exercise and the body uses the testosterone to repair and other things like sex will have to wait.

Even natural athletes and bodybuilders will have low serum testosterone levels during their training months. This is because the testosterone they have is being used up to recuperate from the training and the more muscle one has the more testosterone is used to maintain the muscle.

There a reason soldiers in basic training don't wake up with erections: their bodies are adjusting to the new physical demands required of them and their testosterone is going to their muscles and not to the other body part.

Take the middle way in everything. Not enough exercise and the body produces less testosterone. Do too much exercise and the body uses the testosterone to repair and other things like sex will have to wait.

That testosterone is used up is a new theory to me......In my time at military they put us something in the drinks to prevent erections....When they later let us out on weekend it needed approx. 1 day till you could have sex again.

That testosterone is used up is a new theory to me......In my time at military they put us something in the drinks to prevent erections....When they later let us out on weekend it needed approx. 1 day till you could have sex again.

Other than certain psychotropics and androgen blockers there is nothing that can be put in drinks to stop erections. That is a myth created when so many soldiers in basic training noticed they no longer had morning erections. They don't have the erections because the body has priorities and sex is below survival and physical repair.

It's a simple question of Maths: testosterone is limited and it goes there where it is most needed. We need to repair our bodies but we do not need to have sex to survive.

You can find all this information on the internet but I am very surprised you believe the myth about putting something in the drinks to stop erections. Anything that would really stop erections would also stop a lot of other functions and would render the man incapable of military training.

Archived