Samui songthaew farang prices?

I just read on wikitravel that Samui songthaew drivers have started charging a fixed fare of 100 baht for foreigners. Maybe this is just some clueless tourist who foolishly asks the price before getting on and then accepts whatever the driver says. Anyone have any recent experience just getting on one and then paying the fare written on the inside of the songthaew? That's what I did last time I was in Samui without any problems but maybe things have changed recently.

The published fee from Naton to Chaweng was only around THB 60 the last time this came up. A pocketful of 20's reduces the chances of being short changed.

HTH

The wikitravel page has been edited by someone with an 'April 2014 update' but hopefully nothing has changed since a couple of years ago. Probably the person who edited wikitravel was a clueless tourist who has no idea how pricing works in Thailand.

Tried a few times to get on board a songthaews on Samui, but all of them demanded insane prices and after the last driver a few vacations ago asked us to pay 500 baht for 2 persons from Bophut to Nathon, we just gave up on the whole songthaew concept.

Sometimes i don't understand those Thai drivers.

They have to drive the distance and spend fuel anyway, so why not just take as many onboard as possible, for a more fair price.

They would probably earn a lot more that way instead of having tourist walking away.

• Like 2

Tried a few times to get on board a songthaews on Samui, but all of them demanded insane prices and after the last driver a few vacations ago asked us to pay 500 baht for 2 persons from Bophut to Nathon, we just gave up on the whole songthaew concept.

They have to drive the distance and spend fuel anyway, so why not just take as many onboard as possible, for a more fair price.

They would probably earn a lot more that way instead of having tourist walking away.

It sounds like you were trying to get on board the wrong ones. The public songthaews are the ones waiting in a particular place until it fills and then can be flagged down on its route. The other guys hanging around are waiting for the big catch (the clueless tourist). You can hardly blame them when so many people are prepared to pay.

Paid 100 baht last time from Nathon to Chaweng but that was after the last ferry and it was dark.

How did the conversation with the driver go exactly? Was it 'How much?' '100 baht' 'OK'?

100 baht phai Chaweng dai mai?

Dai!

It's a pity they do not provide some kind of a pass allowing unlimited use of songthaew for a limited period of time.

Pay per ride at farang price is OK when you do not need or enjoy to go around more than once a day, if not renting a bike is cheaper and more convenient, but dangerous.

Paid 100 baht last time from Nathon to Chaweng but that was after the last ferry and it was dark.

How did the conversation with the driver go exactly? Was it 'How much?' '100 baht' 'OK'?

Dai!

Don't want to get in a lengthy exchange of grammar or off topic, but my 200 hour course in Thai says its written and pronounced "bhai" as in buy or bye and not phai or p, but b.

Yes?

It's actually neither b or p.

This sound doesn't exist at the beginning of words in English, but it's the same sound as the "p" when you say "Spain", "special".

When the Spanish pronounce words which begins with "p", it's exactly the same sound, such as peso, pais.

However, even if you do manage to pronounce it as b, p or correctly as "bp", the drivers will definitely understand what you're saying.

Edited by Mole

They will charge whatever they think they can get.Speak A little thai.Say to him how much your willing to pay.Say it all in a Thai,you will make out better

For me this results in getting ripped off in Thai instead of English.

If I have to use them I never pay more than 60 baht always make sure you have 20 baht notes and never ask how much just hand over the 60 baht koh phangan is far worse they are total rip off merchants !!!

But it's different on KP, they think it's a Tax station! tongue.png (Tongsala Pier!)

Hope Mole will say what the Thai part says! wink.png

IMG_0693.JPG

If I have to use them I never pay more than 60 baht always make sure you have 20 baht notes and never ask how much just hand over the 60 baht koh phangan is far worse they are total rip off merchants !!!

But it's different on KP, they think it's a Tax station! tongue.png (Tongsala Pier!)

Hope Mole will say what the Thai part says! wink.png

IMG_0693.JPG

It says 'queue jawt rot doy san bra jam tang' or car for hire parking queue or Taxi stand if you like. Edited by BudRight
  • Like 2

Like others have said, if you ask the price you'll get overcharged.

Don't speak to the driver when you get on, just hop on. When you get off, just hand over the 60 baht and walk away. If it's not enough they'll tell you.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

Don't speak to the driver when you get on, just hop on. When you get off, just hand over the 60 baht and walk away. If it's not enough they'll tell you.

This works with the ladies as well.

• Like 1

Dai!

Don't want to get in a lengthy exchange of grammar or off topic, but my 200 hour course in Thai says its written and pronounced "bhai" as in buy or bye and not phai or p, but b.

Yes?

What's that privately.....around 40,000 Baht?

Boy did you get taken!!

This works with the ladies as well.

True. They probably want a bit more than 60 baht though.

Nathon to Chaweng Beach in either direction was 50-60 Baht from Sept thru March for this farang.

Then I tried again in mid-April and it was 100 Baht for first 3 drivers I politely asked.

When I countered with 80, two of them became pretty hostile.

The 4th one I found at the end of the pier was acceptable to 80 Baht.

Cheers

It sounds like you were trying to get on board the wrong ones. The public songthaews are the ones waiting in a particular place until it fills and then can be flagged down on its route. The other guys hanging around are waiting for the big catch (the clueless tourist). You can hardly blame them when so many people are prepared to pay.

Is there any good way of telling the the right ones from the wrong ones? :)