Residency certificates for Renewal of license.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have a lot to learn,

One official (the one who issues licenses) is asking for a specific paper, and immigration who issues this paper, apparently cannot officially charge the OP for issuing such paper. Therefore the OP has to pay an unofficial fee??? Perhaps there is no official charge for this, because it is supposed to be free of charge? If not, then perhaps they should implement an official fee? Either way, it is not the OP's problem.

Many companies (big and small) send their staff to take care of such matters. For the staff to come back to the accounts department without a receipt is simply not an option, and since they do manage to get the papers, it means either a receipt is issued, or it is indeed free of charge.

The OP need not worry. Immigration will continue to perform their duties towards him, although they may not extend him any favours.

• Like 2

"My girlfriend got angry at me after we left with the money."

"She said they will give me problems next time I need to go."

Seems like "wonderful" Support !

In this instance I wouldn't call the GFs attitude "lack of support" (although it is quite common not get support from the better half when one stands up for oneself against authority). ...I think she was simply looking after your interests and concerned that they may remember you if there was a next time.

I think your girlfriend "getting angry" on you in front of the officers was a smart move. It gave some face back to the officers who are not used to be challenged.

By this action she demonstrated she "would handle" you, paving the way for the officers to let go.

Smart girlfriend.

That is an interesting take on the GF's actions.

You really believe that she is capable of a spontaneous psychological assessment of the situation, that enabled her to throw her toys out of the pram, to enable immigration officers to recover face ?

Not just a knee jerk reaction to not being able to deal intelligently with higher authority.

WOW! I think I will reappraise my judgement of the Thai brain!

• Like 1

you did the right thing ignore these thai farangs going on about face they have been corrupted by the system

i asked for a receipt too got no where but did mamage to takl to top man who was seriously pissed off

more of us should stand up an be counted as they say

have my 5y dl coming up soon be iinteresting to see how i get treated

• Like 1

I had kap cheong. Immigration police come to my house 120km away demanding money for my visa,they wanted petrol money and food and drink money .it was at about 6.30 pm and they were expecting me to be at home alone ,I wasn't there but they telephoned me ,after talking for a long time I said ok I will pay ,,give me a bill , they said then that they were only joking and when I went back to kap cheong 2weeks later for the stamp they did not speak one word to me ,just put the stamp and I left ,I took recording equipment with me expecting the sake down but I think they were too imbarrassed

• Like 2

Mr O ... "No receipt is ever forthcoming from immigration no matter what" ... I got a receipt for my THB 1900 when renewing my 1-Year Visa!!!

I paid 1900 THB for 1 month extension of TR and got receipt of 500 THB. whistling.gif

I don't care what the immigration officer does with the ghost 1400 THB

(although I did hesitate to ask for my share but there were too many people in the office).

How did you get your paperwork done,if not at Kap Choen.They hinted at me a few months ago,because they had to do 3 bits of paperwork at the one time,visa ext.,multi entry and 90 day.It was their own fault with the 90 day as they forwarded it to time in with my visa ext.,but this was not required as i was leaving the country soon after.Just kept the conversation light hearted and they gave up.Sounds like they are getting a bit more hungry at this once friendly office.The problem is many pay and some tip without even being asked,thus making it hard for the rest of us.That tip jar is very prominent on the desk.

Really, so I should have Just paid the 1000 and not asked for the receipt? What have I got to learn? Smile and pay what ever extortion a Thai Official request to do his job?

free lesson. this was not extortion, recept could not be given see ubonjoe post, and by going on and on you are making thing worse by trying to get the office to lose face, and your girl friend is correct they will give you problems next time and rightly so, no way to conduct your self with thai officialdom, lot to learn.

So the "fee"ranges"from 200baht-1000baht,what happens when they charge 5000baht,you gunna smile and take it.Smells like like a rip to me.

no do not pay. Take their names and id numbers. Report them to the bangkk administration and your embassy

two of the most important institutions to ponder over this case ... they will both chuck your report into the dust bin

Really, so I should have Just paid the 1000 and not asked for the receipt? What have I got to learn? Smile and pay what ever extortion a Thai Official request to do his job?

no do not pay. Take their names and id numbers. Report them to the bangkk administration and your embassy.

Use another office next time.

I never pay bribes or paperwork fees

If we all make a stand instead of supporting this corruption, things over time will change.

A small stone thrown,in a pond can ripple a long way

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Its better they ( the bad ones ) loose face then supporting the corruption...

Every time you pay, you make someone who's good loosing his face...

Stay calm, polite and don't give in... Kid dee, Pood dee, Tam dee, Djai dee...

The OP is right in my humble opinion...

• Like 1

Dear OP,

You'd made a "good relationship" with them. If you're trying to live in this country, which is so different to others, you should think why.

I had no idea what I needed to make a driver's license 13 years ago. Paid 500 baht to Immigration in Pattaya and they "gave" me my address statement, which was a hotel near Naklua.

I was on a tourist visa at that time, made both licenses, for car and motorbike. If you think that you can win a war against Immigration, you'd already lost.

Anyways, you're not making it easier for the next foreigners who need help. You might consider to live in the US again, if you "don't like Thai bureaucracy."

Edited by sirchai

In Pattaya before B 200.-, last year still in CNX. B 500.-. Now in Chiangmai free!, but it will take sometimes more than a week! So, if immediately required, also need to pay B 500.-, of course no receipt!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

just got cert for res in Patong,

300 baht an that included making all copies

IN 25 years it has never been free in Phuket

Its funny, look at how long all those that most complain abut corruption,no recipt, problems with immigration, customs etc

thery all have not been here long,

those of us that have been here awhille realize if you want stay an have a good life you accept thats the way it is an get on with it.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

"My girlfriend got angry at me after we left with the money."

"She said they will give me problems next time I need to go."

Seems like "wonderful" Support !

In this instance I wouldn't call the GFs attitude "lack of support" (although it is quite common not get support from the better half when one stands up for oneself against authority). ...I think she was simply looking after your interests and concerned that they may remember you if there was a next time.

That's right, the GF is Thai, and she has been in Thailand all her life. When it comes to doing things I want to or don't want to, I always go by what she says, and she is never wrong.To all those reading this thread, please remember my first sentence.

• Like 1

free lesson. this was not extortion, recept could not be given see ubonjoe post, and by going on and on you are making thing worse by trying to get the office to lose face, and your girl friend is correct they will give you problems next time and rightly so, no way to conduct your self with thai officialdom, lot to learn.

Not extortion but not an official fee. Please clarify. Bureaucracies have paperwork for everything including receipts. I honestly wish to understand.

If the OP was really serious about stamping out corruption, he would not have lied to the Immigration staff about the receipt being needed for 'tax purposes'. He would have stated they are extortionists and forsaken his paperwork AND the cash, demanded their ID's, gotten out his cellphone and called their boss. The OP needs to bone up on martyrdom 101.

In reality, the Kap Choeng staff have handled enough opinionated and sanctimonious farangs in their time, replete with their long-haired translators, that they probably had the OP tagged when he came through the door; hence the up-front 1000 baht price tag.

In the end, he got his paperwork for free but had to pay off his girlfriend thus posts here seeking the validation that he desperately needs (but she hasn't given him freely).

The OP is right to lie to the IOs, you must look after yourself first, and if telling lies to government officials, of any kind, not just in Thailand, has to be done, then do it. After all, government officials are the biggest liars on this planet, and they are not slow in telling lies to you.

• Like 2

Op this has so much to learn. He thinks he is in the States. Leave Thailand... you dont understand how things work here

I still haven't paid "tea" money to anyone after soon to be 8 years in Thailand.

I don't care how long time it takes to get my papers or anything else, I can wait.

So do you think I too should leave Thailand just because I DON'T cash up?

You don't, just ignore the "kee nok" experts...or are you new here? Newbee? So much to learn....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Op this has so much to learn. He thinks he is in the States. Leave Thailand... you dont understand how things work here

I still haven't paid "tea" money to anyone after soon to be 8 years in Thailand.

I don't care how long time it takes to get my papers or anything else, I can wait.

So do you think I too should leave Thailand just because I DON'T cash up?

I have also been in Thailand for eight years, and never have paid any tea money, but if I'm honest, I would pay tea money if it was an advantage to me, but not for nothing. Like I always say, look after yourself first.

Mr O & Rtco

January last at Padang Besar I was one day late and I was given a receipt for my 500 baht. In fact it was stapled into my passport. It was not the first time. The Thai consulate in Penang also stapled my receipt for 110RM in my passport. It'still there.