Residency certificates for Renewal of license.

I think you did the right thing,, but you must realize that you should go to another office next time..

Forget about the "face" shit.. they are corrupt criminals, they don't deserve any respect or face.

I thought you had to go to your nearest office,except for 90 day reports.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct price for a certificate of residency is what I paid, zero baht. The reason it is not on the board is because it is a free service. The reason the immigration office process the "tea money" or bribe with a non uniformed person is to avoid in direct engagement of an illegal activity. The non uniformed person is a proxy. I would recommend that those who posted that suggest engaging in the illegal process of offering a bribe review the sites policy on condoning illegal activity.

Wrong attitude all over. They wanted 30 USD for 2 certificates, not big money. But you won, and your gf lost badly.

Maybe better change the "a" in your name to "o" and go Cambodia next time, see what happens there...

It is a free service, you did the right thing, and if you watch Thai TV you will see all the anti-corruption adverts...

They are trying to eliminate corruption, difficult as it so entrenched in this society....

excellent work.........do not pay the tea money

• Like 1

I have also been in Thailand for xxx years, and never have paid any tea money, but if I'm honest, I would pay tea money if it was an advantage to me, but not for nothing. Like I always say, look after yourself first.

same here. never paid, never been asked, never offered (sofar).

in africa exiting/entering a country overland even implied paying some cigarettes just to get an exit/entry stamp in passport.

So is this is how it works: Yes it an illegal fee. But it has been established for so long that it is now more or less an accepted and an expected gratuity and has become part of the system. Do I have this right?

Yes.

• Like 1

Really, so I should have Just paid the 1000 and not asked for the receipt? What have I got to learn? Smile and pay what ever extortion a Thai Official request to do his job?

free lesson. this was not extortion, recept could not be given see ubonjoe post, and by going on and on you are making thing worse by trying to get the office to lose face, and your girl friend is correct they will give you problems next time and rightly so, no way to conduct your self with thai officialdom, lot to learn.

So the "fee"ranges"from 200baht-1000baht,what happens when they charge 5000baht,you gunna smile and take it.Smells like like a rip to me.

Isn't 5000 baht the 'door fee' at Samui Immigration office these days?

That kind of fees are called a “VIP-fee”, which you pay for instant and quick service instead of waiting in a “long queue” – you may look like one who can afford a 1st class treatment – smile and don't expect a receipt. whistling.gif

Really, so I should have Just paid the 1000 and not asked for the receipt? What have I got to learn? Smile and pay what ever extortion a Thai Official request to do his job?

Why are you going to immagration to get a drivers licience paper work in the first place. All you need is proof of a valid driver's licience from the US and take a drivers test (which any nit wit can pass) and you get your licience.

You could have said pardon me for a minute picked up your phone and dialed your Embassy tell them you need translator explain what is going on and let embassy talk with them and explain what you need make sure that after there talk they hand back to for answer. That way they don't lose face and your not As-hole in process.

Why are you going to immagration to get a drivers licience paper work in the first place. All you need is proof of a valid driver's licience from the US and take a drivers test (which any nit wit can pass) and you get your licience.

Apparently you never have gotten one or had some other means to prove your place of residence.besides a residence certificate.

• Like 2

I paid 200 baht first time

Then met the same copper in a karaoke joint.

We drank till morning 50/50.

I remember after that not paying if I recall correctly.

Not everything is if you tick all the boxes.

And if there is a correct fee here.

I once had to pay a late fee at swampy and another fallang was cusing and screaming.

Copper told.me he won't be flying tonight.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Here's at tip Marcus, develop a sense of humour, learn the 'rules' and obey them and stop embarrassing your GF in front of Thai people.

I'll check back to see if your'e still posting from the LoS in 6 months, my bet?

You will be long gone.

I have been,here 2 years. I have been coming here 17 years. I do not pay. I have a boyfriend. He sides with me bless I,am mistaken and he aids me in translation. He never ever pays bribes either.

We also,run a business with considerable (by western standards) turnover and over ten,Thai staff.

I am,here for a long while on business. So already you ate mistaken.

You always should and can refuse bribes because lessons begin with what good things we bring here

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 1

no do not pay. Take their names and id numbers. Report them to the bangkk administration and your embassy

two of the most important institutions to ponder over this case ... they will both chuck your report into the dust bin

well I disagree. My,own embassy had a matter raised by a friend of mine about this very thing.

His money was returned..via the embassy... And the Thai immigration Bangkok apologized and he has had no,issues at his pattaya immigration office for the last few years.

I think,you are just suppositioning

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Dear OP,

You'd made a "good relationship" with them. If you're trying to live in this country, which is so different to others, you should think why.

I had no idea what I needed to make a driver's license 13 years ago. Paid 500 baht to Immigration in Pattaya and they "gave" me my address statement, which was a hotel near Naklua.

I was on a tourist visa at that time, made both licenses, for car and motorbike. If you think that you can win a war against Immigration, you'd already lost.

Anyways, you're not making it easier for the next foreigners who need help. You might consider to live in the US again, if you "don't like Thai bureaucracy."

I think,you and others are making us all look like fools by paying.

Thais like to break our morals.

Do not break your ethics or morals. That is all many have left

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 2

just got cert for res in Patong,

300 baht an that included making all copies

IN 25 years it has never been free in Phuket

Its funny, look at how long all those that most complain abut corruption,no recipt, problems with immigration, customs etc

thery all have not been here long,

those of us that have been here awhille realize if you want stay an have a good life you accept thats the way it is an get on with it.

Not true. Only those of you who pay. Many of us do not pay and have no bad issues or problems as you suggest we do

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 1

So is this is how it works: Yes it an illegal fee. But it has been established for so long that it is now more or less an accepted and an expected gratuity and has become part of the system. Do I have this right?

no. You by,paying are no better than anyone else who is corrupt.

Do you jump,over a cliff like a lemming because others do?

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 1

just got cert for res in Patong,

300 baht an that included making all copies

IN 25 years it has never been free in Phuket

Its funny, look at how long all those that most complain abut corruption,no recipt, problems with immigration, customs etc

thery all have not been here long,

those of us that have been here awhille realize if you want stay an have a good life you accept thats the way it is an get on with it.

Not true. Only those of you who pay. Many of us do not pay and have no bad issues or problems as you suggest we do

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Last time I paid 1000,- for those with the white batch, the week before I even paid 1400,- for those with the red batch. Do you think I paid too much?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That kind of fees are called a “VIP-fee”, which you pay for instant and quick service instead of waiting in a “long queue” – you may look like one who can afford a 1st class treatment – smile and don't expect a receipt. whistling.gif

Chiang Mai. I only ever take about 5 mins and I have always found all staff at that office extremely helpful, polite and informative.

I have never had any hint, ask, suggest or whatever for any fee.

I also know many,other foreigners who,have the exact same experience as me.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Chiang Mai. I only ever take about 5 mins and I have always found all staff at that office extremely helpful, polite and informative.

I have never had any hint, ask, suggest or whatever for any fee.

I also know many,other foreigners who,have the exact same experience as me.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

You are a funny guy Mr Marcus!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Your mistake was bring your GF with you in the first place.

Never, ever bring your TGF with you when dealing with immigration, buying cars/condos/motorbikes, etc.

You will be taken for a fool by the locals and likely they won't even talk to you directly. They can be fluent in english and they will play dumb, ignoring you while speaking with your GF.

This happens all too often. Whilst I was married I can recall many situations similar to the above post. I had several appointments with a Cardiologist at one stage for a problem that was serious enough for concern. I might as well have been a mannequin with the ability to draw money from an ATM. Disgustingly insulting when not a word of English was spoken and yet I was the patient. By the second visit he was. Only because I spoke out without fear of upsetting him. Hats off again to the OP. Pick your moments and be assertive when you do. Whilst doing it all the time might not be the correct tact here in Thailand, exactly where would the tea money come from if we weren't here. 555

Most of us have worked hard for our money and if your trying to insist on telling the OP he has a lot to learn because he doesn't want to hand it out freely, then????

Unfortunately. T.I.T. and whilst corruption is not admitted to in our own countries when we know it happens, at least here it appears acceptable. The devil you know and the devil you don't doesn't necessarily mean that either doesn't exist.

Edited by aussiejon1604
  • Like 1

To pay depends on how bad you want anything.

I went for retire visa and female NCO asked for 24,000bt, I picked my papers up and walked out.

I read some of the comments of some of the "experts" on this site and just have a laugh. How are you going to tell somebody they are not going to last when you joined the site last year?

Edited by PolPat
  • Like 1

I also had this happen to me in Jomtien. They told me I could have it in one hour for 200 baht. I told them I would want a receipt. He explained that they do not give receipts, but if I wanted to come back tomorrow and pick up my letter, it would then be free. I wanted it in one hour, so I reluctantly paid the 200 baht.

I wish a certain poster would realize that he is attributing a different quote to the OP. Please check your facts about his girlfriend supporting him. The OP did not say that.

• Like 1

Why would anyone want a receipt for 200 baht? Tax rebate? Stop beating around the bush and either call them dodgy or pay them what they ask. Either way, please stop posting how heroic you think are by challenging Thailands PETTY bureaucracy. It makes you look as small minded as they are.

BTW, the Jomtien 200 baht now or free tomorrow is a fair deal IMHO. That place is a zoo and 'now' would probably mean hanging about for at least 20 minutes whereas tomorrow would be more like the old 'in-out' that Pattaya is noted for.

• Like 1