How would you act in this situaton?

Somayaa

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somayaa a good area is the Lockyer Valley for back packing type work, most of the year you will get farm work. Unskilled working in a packing shed, picking vegies or general farm labour. The current casual rate is about $16-$20au per hour and you will get 40-60 hours per week depending on season. Do not sign up with a mob that supply you with work and you must board with them, they rob people blind.

Its easy to find share accomodation in a town like Gatton and once on a contractors books they will pick you up and drop you home of an afternoon and pay weekly. Any questions just PM me, I am more than happy to give you some names to get you started.

There are heaps of Koreans that come out and do back to back 1 year stints and I assume they go home with a fair bit of cash, they are there to make money not holiday.

Did the backpacking thing myself around SE Asia myself in my twenties, there are plenty of young people like yourself exploring the world. This IMHO is the best time to do it and you'll meet plenty of interesting traveller's and plenty of nice girls on their gap years ;)

Youth is wasted on the young so enjoy it while you can, you never know you might fall in love with the country and make a life here. A lot of the negativity on the forum is due to retired blokes working their entire lives to retire in Thailand, then finding its not the perfect dream they thought. Not everyone wants to work all their lives just to retire, my old man died a year before retirement which justified my decision. If you've got determination and a good work ethic you will can make money later.

Go for it.

I have nothing against backpackers, but do not envy them either. I've traveled the world with only a carry-on since I was 20. However, I always had a job; so I always had money, hotel, airfare, and perdiem.

A much better way to see the world.

You miss the whole point of backpacking. I had a friend who inherited 30 million Aus$ and travelled round asia for 6 months on $3000.

Why don't you contact Neeranam by private message? His friend had $30million to spend and traveled around all of Asia for $3000!!

Actually, I doubt his story. However, if true, I do not see the point of trying to live as cheaply as possible. I think more of myself; I worked hard all my life so I could enjoy what I wanted, when I wanted.

• 1 year later...

So op..

How did you get on?

What news of your adventures?

Thank you for asking.

Currently im staying outskirts of Bangkok and today became a full eight months, next week i will go home.

I decided to work 1 more year in home because hobbies, friends and other things, but yeah i arrive 8 month ago :D

I have done little investments whose pay me back later, but buying property will wait future. I have been waiting this possibility ever since i started in this company and i go now, no have patience to stay. Now just working and waiting autumn and then plane to Bangkok! Yeah!

Warm weather, nice peoples, mind blowing sex, motorbiking, good tasty food, exciting hobbies, motorbiking and many other great things.

Alone but i hope with some good luck smile.png

When youve been here a while it looks more like this

Too hot, people not so nice, motorbiking is really quite dangerous with the state of the roads and the awful drivers, food way to spicy and street food is rather crappy..........sex?well Im marriedlaugh.png of course just my personally depressing view,

Do not goto Australia ...... Expensive boring place and women are harder to get plus uglier . why would you work wanna work with that much money anyway why not just chillout around Indochina . hot chicks cheap moto rental cheap everything and not so thrashed tourist wise like thailand. Just have sex for free with Asian Girls and eat cheap food and work for food and hotel in snookyville islands you won't spend more than 10 bucks a day.

Aussie girls aren't ugly mate, spoken like a true old codger that came to Thailand cos he can't grab a girl back home. Don't worry OP young bloke you will kill it in Australia if that's what you want. As others have said probably be able to work your way around the joint but not as easy as it once was. Aus can be pretty expensive but if you don't go silly it's doable. Mate as a young bloke hit Aus first. Honestly SE Asia is always here as a back up as will the ability to avail yourself of cheap Asian hookers (if you ever need that, and if you stay on this forum long enough you will see that cheap beer and hookers seems to be the main focus of some peoples lives.) Get out there mate your only young once see some of the world then get back and start saving. Good luck, have fun, follow your heart.

It never ceases to amaze me that people ask these types of questions on a public forum. Not one of the readers here is in the same, unique situation as you, and more importantly, they do not have to bear the consequences of your choices. You are you, and only you can decide what you do.

At your age, with no ties, just follow the gut feeling, you won't go wrong!

And don't ask others what they'd do, as it only clouds the gut feeling that will give you your answer.

Happy travels

smile.png

Sorry, euros.

And Australia is far away. But i work different money for this after se asia...

Why the hell are you apologizing? You clearly stated in your original post that it was 14000 euros. Unfortunately it seems some are not that good at reading or are not wearing their reading glasses.

Sorry, euros.

Why the hell are you apologizing? You clearly stated in your original post that it was 14000 euros. Unfortunately it seems some are not that good at reading or are not wearing their reading glasses.

Or, maybe, he edited his post to add "Euros" after reading the first few replies (way back in April 2014).

Sorry, euros.

Or, maybe, he edited his post to add "Euros" after reading the first few replies (way back in April 2014).

I didn't even pay attention to that as it was knocked to the top of the the general forum. I obviously suspected it to be new.This thread seriously needs to be closed.

Thailand has been good, i dont know about Philippines. South-America looks more challenging and dangerous.

To Australia i will go next year. Still have some savings, so probably after summer i will come back to Thailand but visit also Philippines and China

Sorry, euros.

I didn't even pay attention to that as it was knocked to the top of the the general forum. I obviously suspected it to be new.This thread seriously needs to be closed.

That is a possible pov.

So too, would be luddites lacking the erudition they think they have. A reviewed moment just before posting would be wise, to adjust to the medium and as such it might assist everyone, even older topics which can be relevant.

Given your age and interests, I wouldn't expect 14k (620,000 baht) to last all that long, especially if you need money to move on to Aust. In your position, I would forget about Aust on this trip. Have a ball tearing time in SE Asia, then return home for a year of hard core saving and then kick on to Aust. More sensible that way, especially given your youth. Have a great time on your travels.

As said, he'd be working in Australia.

If I was him, I'd put 10k of that on a deposit for a small flat or something and make an investment. Spend the other 4k on a ticket to OZ and just work your way around enjoying as you go, if you do a bit of fruit picking at the end of your first year you can extend the working visa for a second year. Ideally put bits aside and you should have enough money to do asia for 3 or 4 months on the way home.

Good luck tryin to live in Oz and get around on fruit puckers pay. Terrible. $1000 a week gets you no where in oz anymore.....sounds like a nightmare to me.

You'd also want to be careful hitch hiking down there, there's a few milats still roaming the streets. 55555

I'm not interested of Laos and Cambodia anymore, Laos was great for trekking and waterfalls but nothing else, I was planning to stay 1 month but leave after 2 week and that was more than enough. Cambodia... no no.

My Friend has been now almost 1 year in Australia visiting few times in se asia, mostly Indonesia for surfing. Going back home soon too with some money. He has done some warehouse work etc. But he never work back home more than 2 month before. With my skills i dont believe its difficult to get job here. I have been living in farm since i born and have some mechanical skills.

Edited by Somayaa

I'm not interested of Laos and Cambodia anymore, Laos was great for trekking and waterfalls but nothing else, I was planning to stay 1 month but leave after 2 week and that was more than enough. Cambodia... no no.

My Friend has been now almost 1 year in Australia visiting few times in se asia, mostly Indonesia for surfing. Going back home soon too with some money. He has done some warehouse work etc. But he never work back home more than 2 month before. With my skills i dont believe its difficult to get job here. I have been living in farm since i born and have some mechanical skills.

For a job in Thailand-Australia you require a work permit. In Thailand that is very difficult. In Australia you can get a 1yr working visa. As a backpacker it will allow you to work. It does have restrictions. It used to be called a travelling visa I beleive.

Good luck...you do know both Australia and Thailand have a lot of farmers already...

The current(and possibly temporary) Australian Government 'was' planning to tax the shit out of backpackers..., they have put that plan into abeyance until after the impending election...., if this current conservative government is returned(presumably with a reduced majority or even a hung parliament) they will likely re-introduce the so called 'backpacker tax'..., and it's likely to be around just 15% from the very first pay packet, instead of the way higher tax percentage that was originally proposed.
What ever..., backpackers are on the governments radar(crosshairs ?) and indeed the pie is becoming less sweet than it once was......, and then there's always the Wolf Creek factor.
wai.gif

Edited by Sandy Freckle