Beach road after dark. Do you go?

jackvale

Yes, around 3:00 every morning I load up a slightly torn plastic bag from Friendship Supermarket with several mobile phones, lots of cash, jewelry and large bars of gold and go walk-about on Beach Road. Like most dim witted farang I assume all the smiles directed at me mean people, both Thai and farang, really love me (why else would anyone smile, duh), which is further proven by all the new friends I make on my little treks. Actually the same is true wherever I find myself on my travels around the world, although my travel plans occasionally have to be put on hold.

8922_full_body_cast.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been doing my nightly walks, mostly all the way from Klang to Walking Street and back almost every night the last 8 years. Time usually between 22.30 - 2.00, depending if I have just a quick Italian ice-cream on Walking Str. or head further in for some more fun.

A few observations and I consider myself an active and objective observer with many years in law-enforcement in various countries and my eyes set on "roaming" and my nose on "smelling" 24/7...5555555

Crime has gone up massively the last 2-3 years. Many more drug dealers, pimps, thieving lady-boys and much more trashy people of any nationality.

Quality of girls has dropped dramatically, unless you like overweight, over-painted, over-professional palm-ladies. Hope I did not violate the TV rules with this statement, otherwise just delete, please.

I have witnessed many, many "muggings", mostly after 23.30, mostly between Soi Post Office and Soi 12, almost only lady-boys, mostly same groups....... But recently the police has stepped up patrols very much and all lights are up now, this seems to pay off already.

I have seen few fights or violent confrontations, mostly caused by drunk foreigners, in fact interfered in one a month ago, a drunk Russian with a Thai pimp, he already had a steel pipe in his hand. Managed to push the Russian away and talk sense into him. I hate violence and have no issues with macho-behavior towards some low live drug dealers and pimps. Just ignore them.

I think the new Beach Rd., and decking has improved the area quite a bit and there are much more people hanging out now.

Not street-wise people should maybe stay away after midnight or so. Just behave low key and I see little danger.

Too bad the City can not keep the beach clean, as well as the walkway, disgusting the trash piles...Would be so easy...Couple of teams with small tractors..They got all night.....

Enjoy! MS>

"Quality of girls has dropped"...

...Oh damn those poverty-stricken farmers not sending any of their best looking daughters to Pattaya to sell their souls to old white perverts.

Do you have a daughter, or a mother? You talk about women like you would a commodity.

Point well taken.

I purchase commodities from long established, retail outlets. I treat humans, of either gender, with respect regardless of their social status, economic status or profession.

Comments that debase those less fortunate are lessons for me to embrace compassion and acceptance.

Easy Does It.

"Too bad the City can not keep the beach clean, as well as the walkway, disgusting the trash piles...Would be so easy...Couple of teams with small tractors..They got all night....."

The missus & I would go out for our nightly walk along Beach Rd & grab some street food. Unfortunately as we chose to sit by the beach and enjoy the breeze, night being one of the times the umbrella mafia are not in full force, the herds of soi dogs and water rats tended to make an otherwise relaxing time a bit more edgy.

For one friend of mine from the UK who comes here for his holidays, it is the only place he wants to meet up with me.

So I meet him at 7pm at Mike's Shopping Mall. We then walk to Walking Street and back down to Soi 6. We get a drink and some food from the 7-eleven and sit and have a chat and then walk back to Walking Street and back down to Soi 6.

You certainly know how to splash out on your friends and show them a good time!

Can't believe that anyone actually eats that <deleted> from 7-11 unless paralytically drunk.

I believe it's called freedom of choice. It's a wonderful concept, often enjoyed by opened minded, sober and tolerant humans,

Sure is, looks like you have cornered the market in the type of classy big spending cultured tourist Thailand is active seeking.biggrin.png

I've lived in Thailand for 13 years straight now since the tender age of 23, I've never set foot in Pattaya, or PAtong. I wouldn't want to. While either of these places might not be as bad as the daily barrage of seedy news articles suggests, I still can't imagine what I'd gain from visiting them. Better go somewhere a bit quieter methinks

Never been in Pattaya or Patong nor even Patpong?

Then you can hardly call yourself and expat!

I've lived in Thailand for 13 years straight now since the tender age of 23, I've never set foot in Pattaya, or PAtong. I wouldn't want to. While either of these places might not be as bad as the daily barrage of seedy news articles suggests, I still can't imagine what I'd gain from visiting them. Better go somewhere a bit quieter methinks

I am so glad my life is full of "oh wells" and not "what ifs"

It's so hot in Pattaya now so I never go out before sunset.. I think most of the bad stuff happens after midnight so I have been lucky so far .

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I like staying on Soi 6. I stay at an inexpensive place, and I like the room. I have spent a great deal of time on Soi 6. I actually rarely go into a bar. If I do go in it is not for long. I don't like drinking alcohol. I am always sober. I am almost always very polite. I have never had any problems in Soi 6. I stay for months at a time. I find the atmosphere entertaining. Great people watching. I often walk to and from Walking Street. However, I don't stay out for very long after the bars close. Having said all this. I must say that my appearance to many is a little hostile. This appearance is a trick of the universe. It is mainly, because my face has saged over the years, giving me a frown. I also worked in the Criminal Justice System for 33 years. I walk with my eyes wide open. I only carry the funds that, I anticipate useing that evening. I never wear any jewelry, and only an old inexpensive watch. I don't dress like a million dollars, despite being a multi millionaire. After a while people on Soi 6 just think of you as a resident. I never talk about being wealthy. Unless in an anonymous forum like this.

A multi-millionnaire and you stay in Soi 6 ... do me a favour!

multi millionaire in turkish lira probably!!!

you sound like a right bundle of laughs fella, the above places are what attracted me in my mid 20's when I first visited and made me want to move there and end up working and living the dream, yes I visited the beautiful beaches and had a look round at some countryside and temples but as a young man the adventure-danger and excitement did it for me.

I am coming back soon for a holiday after nearly 5 years away from the place, I am really intrigued as to see if its as bad as some really say, I certainly wouldn't base my movements on some sensationalist news articles, if you did that you'd never leave the house!

Beach road crime is on the way up - fast. I had my daily / nightly walks here for more than 10 years.

Since May 1st, NO Police / Volunteers / City hall staff to be seen on the beach.

Thai's who sell softdrink/beer on the beach at night, have all been warning me.

Beach road / Pattaya Klang, (former 'Paloma') area have a gang of 15-20 homeless alcoholics and drug users, who make the area unsafe. They fight nightly with each other and big knifes and whatever tools are used when they fight. Be aware in this area.

Beach road / Mike's shopping Mall have many drug sellers who also look for a easy pray. Last 2 weeks the number of foreigners sitting there have diminished and almost non exsistent now. Be very aware in this area.

Beach road between Soi 12 and Soi Yamoto have many aggressive lady boys who will have their hands all over your pockets. They seem more aggressive than the average LB, so be aware.

Beach road between soi Yamoto and Soi Post, have another gang of young men who you should be aware of.

Beach road from Best friend Bar to walking street entrance have another large group of lady boys and young men who sell drugs, and crime, attacks here are FREQUENT.

Not saying this to scare anyone - just be on alert because crime is way up.

Beach road is fun also at night, and it's simple to avoid troubly by...

- not wearing any necklages or rings

- having your oldest mobile with you that is NOT a smart phone (my old Nokia 2760 is good enoug for calling and SMS, but nothing more)

- not display expensive watches (my 1'500 Baht plastic swatch shows me the time also..)

- wear cash and card and copy of ID papers in the front pockets (where I would definitely take note of hands going in...)

and I never had an issue, maybe just because I don't show anything worth to be stolen...

You bet ya ... best time to go!

After a couple of Leos!

+1...Great time to stroll around...You worry too much if your afraid....Been doing it for years and never had any problems...Especially before mid-night, nothing to fear...

You bet ya ... best time to go!

After a couple of Leos!

+1...Great time to stroll around...You worry too much if your afraid....Been doing it for years and never had any problems...Especially before mid-night, nothing to fear...

Things has changed !

Ask any of the drink sellers on Beach road. Crime starts long before midnight, these days.

I like staying on Soi 6. I stay at an inexpensive place, and I like the room. I have spent a great deal of time on Soi 6. I actually rarely go into a bar. If I do go in it is not for long. I don't like drinking alcohol. I am always sober. I am almost always very polite. I have never had any problems in Soi 6. I stay for months at a time. I find the atmosphere entertaining. Great people watching. I often walk to and from Walking Street. However, I don't stay out for very long after the bars close. Having said all this. I must say that my appearance to many is a little hostile. This appearance is a trick of the universe. It is mainly, because my face has saged over the years, giving me a frown. I also worked in the Criminal Justice System for 33 years. I walk with my eyes wide open. I only carry the funds that, I anticipate useing that evening. I never wear any jewelry, and only an old inexpensive watch. I don't dress like a million dollars, despite being a multi millionaire. After a while people on Soi 6 just think of you as a resident. I never talk about being wealthy. Unless in an anonymous forum like this.

A multi-millionnaire and you stay in Soi 6 ... do me a favour!

multi millionaire in turkish lira probably!!!

Is there a name for this kind of phobia? personally I have never been afraid to go anywhere in Thailand,day or night and I am still alive and well also

Every person who has ever been robbed, attacked, knifed, shot, or hit in the head with a bottle all said the same thing until their incident. Lives change in a blink of an eye. The longer you go without incident, the more the odds are against you.

That said, I also go anywhere in Thailand, day or night.

Archived