Beach road after dark. Do you go?

jackvale

I follow all the news, good and bad. It seems to me that nothing good happens on the beach after dark. Therefore, I just enjoy it all day and not set foot on any beach in Pattaya/Jomtien/Naklua after sunset. I'm still alive and well. Do you still care for a night stroll or not?

post-201137-0-22986800-1398334173_thumb.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't go out much anymore due to family commitments but used to and was often out until 0400 hours and never had any problems.

That being said, I would not walk around at the north end at that hours, the more people around you the safer it is and you can shout for help if needed.

Generally very safe until midnight I would say and we only read about muggings once or twice a month and considered the amount of tourists coming here, still very safe unless you are so drunk you can hardly walk and you are asking for it.

Watch out for the ladyboys that wants to hug you, many seems to be skilled pocket thieves according to the local news papers.

For one friend of mine from the UK who comes here for his holidays, it is the only place he wants to meet up with me.

So I meet him at 7pm at Mike's Shopping Mall. We then walk to Walking Street and back down to Soi 6. We get a drink and some food from the 7-eleven and sit and have a chat and then walk back to Walking Street and back down to Soi 6.

He chooses his girl for the night (500 baht) and I head off home to my wife!!!

Yes it sounds really boring and makes us sound like real 'cheap charlies', but it is actually quite good fun a couple of times a year, as we get on well, are not bothered by any touts, nor loud music, nor pushy bar girls.

He goes down there quite a lot on his own as well whilst he is here.

To reinforce 'guzzies' comment above, the only problem he has had is with some Ladyboys near Soi 12, just past Mike's Shopping Mall on the way to walking Street.

One of them came up to him and put 'her' arms around him - later he realised his cheap necklace had been stolen.

Like the posters above, I have been all over Thailand during the 10 years I have lived here, never felt threatened. Mind you I am tall (so have long legs that enable me to run away fast) and I don't drink alcohol - I reckon being sober helps a lot.

Unlike when I was last in the UK. I got on some public transport in London and was suddenly surrounded by dozens of large, loud, boisterous teenagers who were on their way home from school - I reckon their teachers need to be ex-SAS to deal with them - very threatening - scary for sure!!!

Is there a name for this kind of phobia? personally I have never been afraid to go anywhere in Thailand,day or night and I am still alive and well also

... and neither am I.

But there was this one guy killed late last year by a LadyBoy stiletto in soi 6?

Never afraid ... always on my guard though.

I have been doing my nightly walks, mostly all the way from Klang to Walking Street and back almost every night the last 8 years. Time usually between 22.30 - 2.00, depending if I have just a quick Italian ice-cream on Walking Str. or head further in for some more fun.

A few observations and I consider myself an active and objective observer with many years in law-enforcement in various countries and my eyes set on "roaming" and my nose on "smelling" 24/7...5555555

Crime has gone up massively the last 2-3 years. Many more drug dealers, pimps, thieving lady-boys and much more trashy people of any nationality.

Quality of girls has dropped dramatically, unless you like overweight, over-painted, over-professional palm-ladies. Hope I did not violate the TV rules with this statement, otherwise just delete, please.

I have witnessed many, many "muggings", mostly after 23.30, mostly between Soi Post Office and Soi 12, almost only lady-boys, mostly same groups....... But recently the police has stepped up patrols very much and all lights are up now, this seems to pay off already.

I have seen few fights or violent confrontations, mostly caused by drunk foreigners, in fact interfered in one a month ago, a drunk Russian with a Thai pimp, he already had a steel pipe in his hand. Managed to push the Russian away and talk sense into him. I hate violence and have no issues with macho-behavior towards some low live drug dealers and pimps. Just ignore them.

I think the new Beach Rd., and decking has improved the area quite a bit and there are much more people hanging out now.

Not street-wise people should maybe stay away after midnight or so. Just behave low key and I see little danger.

Too bad the City can not keep the beach clean, as well as the walkway, disgusting the trash piles...Would be so easy...Couple of teams with small tractors..They got all night.....

Enjoy! MS>

Is there a name for this kind of phobia? personally I have never been afraid to go anywhere in Thailand,day or night and I am still alive and well also

It's not a phobia as many "problems" on the beach after dark have been documented. Some people are not as brave (others would say unwise) as you are.

Would you let your wife or daughter sit alone in an isolated or quiet area of Pattaya Beach after dark? If the answer is no, then you should understand the OP's question.

Like Moonseeker said always have you BS detector on. Being aware of what is going on around you will save you all kind of BS, not saying to be paranoiac just aware. When a little voice in you head is saying something is not right it is probably going to happen so get out of there. Example, if you see a group of ladyboys coming at you you have to be pro-active to prevent the hugging, stay polite and don't show anger, the polite way is always the better option even if you are boiling inside.

One of my friend in Phuket had is ring stolen by a group of ladyboys, I was thinking how you can stole a ring on a finger and not feel anything? The next day I was talking to his girlfriend and she said that he was very drunk, not a little, more like 10 beers and 15 shots of tequila. That is how you get yourself on trouble.

In over 15 years travelling in Thailand, the only thing that happen to me was my sandals stolen at a temple fair in Khrungthep and the Thais who were with me were more outrage than me. In my book Thailand is pretty safe.

In over 15 years travelling in Thailand, the only thing that happen to me was my sandals stolen at a temple fair in Khrungthep and the Thais who were with me were more outrage than me. In my book Thailand is pretty safe.

Of course it only takes one bad experience to change that opinion... or one really bad experience to never be able to voice an opinion ever again.

Your 15 years of luck could be attributed to you being careful. I've also been lucky, but I do stay alert wherever I go and never take my safety for granted.

Of course it only takes one bad experience to change that opinion... or one really bad experience to never be able to voice an opinion ever again.

Your 15 years of luck could be attributed to you being careful. I've also been lucky, but I do stay alert wherever I go and never take my safety for granted.

Like Concorde. One day the world's safest aircraft, the next the world's most dangerous. Reputation ruined, never to recover.

I like staying on Soi 6. I stay at an inexpensive place, and I like the room. I have spent a great deal of time on Soi 6. I actually rarely go into a bar. If I do go in it is not for long. I don't like drinking alcohol. I am always sober. I am almost always very polite. I have never had any problems in Soi 6. I stay for months at a time. I find the atmosphere entertaining. Great people watching. I often walk to and from Walking Street. However, I don't stay out for very long after the bars close. Having said all this. I must say that my appearance to many is a little hostile. This appearance is a trick of the universe. It is mainly, because my face has saged over the years, giving me a frown. I also worked in the Criminal Justice System for 33 years. I walk with my eyes wide open. I only carry the funds that, I anticipate useing that evening. I never wear any jewelry, and only an old inexpensive watch. I don't dress like a million dollars, despite being a multi millionaire. After a while people on Soi 6 just think of you as a resident. I never talk about being wealthy. Unless in an anonymous forum like this.

• 3 weeks later...

For one friend of mine from the UK who comes here for his holidays, it is the only place he wants to meet up with me.

So I meet him at 7pm at Mike's Shopping Mall. We then walk to Walking Street and back down to Soi 6. We get a drink and some food from the 7-eleven and sit and have a chat and then walk back to Walking Street and back down to Soi 6.

You certainly know how to splash out on your friends and show them a good time!

Can't believe that anyone actually eats that <deleted> from 7-11 unless paralytically drunk.

I like staying on Soi 6. I stay at an inexpensive place, and I like the room. I have spent a great deal of time on Soi 6. I actually rarely go into a bar. If I do go in it is not for long. I don't like drinking alcohol. I am always sober. I am almost always very polite. I have never had any problems in Soi 6. I stay for months at a time. I find the atmosphere entertaining. Great people watching. I often walk to and from Walking Street. However, I don't stay out for very long after the bars close. Having said all this. I must say that my appearance to many is a little hostile. This appearance is a trick of the universe. It is mainly, because my face has saged over the years, giving me a frown. I also worked in the Criminal Justice System for 33 years. I walk with my eyes wide open. I only carry the funds that, I anticipate useing that evening. I never wear any jewelry, and only an old inexpensive watch. I don't dress like a million dollars, despite being a multi millionaire. After a while people on Soi 6 just think of you as a resident. I never talk about being wealthy. Unless in an anonymous forum like this.

A multi-millionnaire and you stay in Soi 6 ... do me a favour!

I've lived in Thailand for 13 years straight now since the tender age of 23, I've never set foot in Pattaya, or PAtong. I wouldn't want to. While either of these places might not be as bad as the daily barrage of seedy news articles suggests, I still can't imagine what I'd gain from visiting them. Better go somewhere a bit quieter methinks

I guess if you are afraid of the dark in general, don't go. But, I have never had any problems. Avoid scuffles with ladyboys (avoiding them altogether is best), do not buy drugs from strangers (imagine doing such a thing?), do not insult the local punks, and be kind, respectful and pleasant to all you encounter, and you will have a most pleasant evening. It is a very entertaining place to spend an hour or so, so why the hell not go?

I don't go out much anymore due to family commitments but used to and was often out until 0400 hours and never had any problems.

That being said, I would not walk around at the north end at that hours, the more people around you the safer it is and you can shout for help if needed.

Generally very safe until midnight I would say and we only read about muggings once or twice a month and considered the amount of tourists coming here, still very safe unless you are so drunk you can hardly walk and you are asking for it.

Watch out for the ladyboys that wants to hug you, many seems to be skilled pocket thieves according to the local news papers.

They are, common approach is that one comes each side and takes you arm while a third is behind and takes your money. Fortunately I had been warned and whipped round to see the third standing with the money out of my back pocket. He threw it on the ground and all 3 took their shoes off and run like hell.

Beach Road is little different from many other areas in the world. Keep your wits about you and stay among other people and there is little problem. Drunks and people alone are the normal targets.

I guess if you are afraid of the dark in general, don't go. But, I have never had any problems. Avoid scuffles with ladyboys (avoiding them altogether is best), do not buy drugs from strangers (imagine doing such a thing?), do not insult the local punks, and be kind, respectful and pleasant to all you encounter, and you will have a most pleasant evening. It is a very entertaining place to spend an hour or so, so why the hell not go?

Good post.

I have been doing my nightly walks, mostly all the way from Klang to Walking Street and back almost every night the last 8 years. Time usually between 22.30 - 2.00, depending if I have just a quick Italian ice-cream on Walking Str. or head further in for some more fun.

A few observations and I consider myself an active and objective observer with many years in law-enforcement in various countries and my eyes set on "roaming" and my nose on "smelling" 24/7...5555555

Crime has gone up massively the last 2-3 years. Many more drug dealers, pimps, thieving lady-boys and much more trashy people of any nationality.

Quality of girls has dropped dramatically, unless you like overweight, over-painted, over-professional palm-ladies. Hope I did not violate the TV rules with this statement, otherwise just delete, please.

I have witnessed many, many "muggings", mostly after 23.30, mostly between Soi Post Office and Soi 12, almost only lady-boys, mostly same groups....... But recently the police has stepped up patrols very much and all lights are up now, this seems to pay off already.

I have seen few fights or violent confrontations, mostly caused by drunk foreigners, in fact interfered in one a month ago, a drunk Russian with a Thai pimp, he already had a steel pipe in his hand. Managed to push the Russian away and talk sense into him. I hate violence and have no issues with macho-behavior towards some low live drug dealers and pimps. Just ignore them.

I think the new Beach Rd., and decking has improved the area quite a bit and there are much more people hanging out now.

Not street-wise people should maybe stay away after midnight or so. Just behave low key and I see little danger.

Too bad the City can not keep the beach clean, as well as the walkway, disgusting the trash piles...Would be so easy...Couple of teams with small tractors..They got all night.....

Enjoy! MS>

"Quality of girls has dropped"...

...Oh damn those poverty-stricken farmers not sending any of their best looking daughters to Pattaya to sell their souls to old white perverts.

Do you have a daughter, or a mother? You talk about women like you would a commodity.

You certainly know how to splash out on your friends and show them a good time!

Can't believe that anyone actually eats that <deleted> from 7-11 unless paralytically drunk.

I believe it's called freedom of choice. It's a wonderful concept, often enjoyed by opened minded, sober and tolerant humans,

Archived