Beach road after dark. Do you go?

jackvale

Beach rd, after dark no way, great in daylight but when the sun goes down , no way.

I have walked up and down Beach Road after dark many times with never a problem, though not after midnight, but then I'm a non drinker.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beach rd, after dark no way, great in daylight but when the sun goes down , no way.

I have walked up and down Beach Road after dark many times with never a problem, though not after midnight, but then I'm a non drinker.

Also, most of the ladies give me dirty looks because they soon find out I never take any being happily married.

No sorry, no interest in filthy beaches, hookers, transvestites, people hassling me to buy ugly useless crap, losers or crims, That is: no interest in Pattaya at all.

You are not being truthful here, you must have some interest or you would not be posting on the Pattaya forum.

The thing that scares me most on beach road is the gigantic rats that are out at 4 in the morning.

I've seen loads of them opposite Mikes Mall at eight in the evening, I saw and felt one run over my foot, they are harmless and actually quite beautiful creatures.

• 1 year later...

I like staying on Soi 6. I stay at an inexpensive place, and I like the room. I have spent a great deal of time on Soi 6. I actually rarely go into a bar. If I do go in it is not for long. I don't like drinking alcohol. I am always sober. I am almost always very polite. I have never had any problems in Soi 6. I stay for months at a time. I find the atmosphere entertaining. Great people watching. I often walk to and from Walking Street. However, I don't stay out for very long after the bars close. Having said all this. I must say that my appearance to many is a little hostile. This appearance is a trick of the universe. It is mainly, because my face has saged over the years, giving me a frown. I also worked in the Criminal Justice System for 33 years. I walk with my eyes wide open. I only carry the funds that, I anticipate useing that evening. I never wear any jewelry, and only an old inexpensive watch. I don't dress like a million dollars, despite being a multi millionaire. After a while people on Soi 6 just think of you as a resident. I never talk about being wealthy. Unless in an anonymous forum like this.

A multi-millionnaire and you stay in Soi 6 ... do me a favour!

multi millionaire in turkish lira probably!!!

That would be rich in US Dollars.

Seems that you are very jealous, and have a small mind!

A lot of millionaires are frugal thats why they have money.

Warren Buffet is a classic example, lives in average house and drives older car.

Not every one must stay in 5 star luxury to be happy!

Not every one must have the most expensive car. That they can afford to drive to be happy. I drive a 2012 Chevy Cruise Lt. I can afford to drive a Mecercedes. I own one car. I could certainly afford to own several.

I live in a $250.000 home. I could afford a home that costs twice as much.

I don't blow my money on things. Like some of you, who have commented would. It surprises and saddens me. To read that some of you find it an impossible idea that, I do as, I say I do.

Why do you think that a wealthy person cannot be wise in their expenditures, and that they must have matrialistic luxury? Is it because, that is the way that you would be?

I find this a silly question...it's like any tourist place around the world- you use your common sense. I live across from the Beach Road promenade and occasionally will take an evening walk when it is cooler. Since the beach-walk is widen and better lit, there are many couples, families taking a walk in the evenings. If I happen to be walking back around 10pm, I walk away from the beach side of the promenade but nearer Beach Rd. where it is better lit and has no "opportunists" saying, "Meeeesterrrrr...."

Do I walk after midnight along the beach-walk? -No, I am asleep. Anyone that gets attacked by katoeys or gets into mischief along Beach Road is out in the area after midnight and the earlier in the morning you are increasing your chances to get into mischief. This "rule of thumb" is standard all over the world in any city. I do not understand why tourists think when they are on holiday, they do not follow their common sense. Would you see me walking at night on the East side of Chicago? He## no!

A lot of millionaires are frugal thats why they have money.

Warren Buffet is a classic example, lives in average house and drives older car.

Not every one must stay in 5 star luxury to be happy!

Not every one must have the most expensive car. That they can afford to drive to be happy. I drive a 2012 Chevy Cruise Lt. I can afford to drive a Mecercedes. I own one car. I could certainly afford to own several.

I live in a $250.000 home. I could afford a home that costs twice as much.

I don't blow my money on things. Like some of you, who have commented would. It surprises and saddens me. To read that some of you find it an impossible idea that, I do as, I say I do.

Why do you think that a wealthy person cannot be wise in their expenditures, and that they must have matrialistic luxury? Is it because, that is the way that you would be?

Not everyone states they are a millionaire like you did..it contributes nothing other than showing off..your points are valid ...no need to boast..

The early after dark 7pm - 10pm is ok. And have a few cups of coffee first. Unfortunately because the daytime is just a horror show now

( more lowlife local males than ladies ) its necessary to visit at night when seeking companionship.

I like staying on Soi 6. I stay at an inexpensive place, and I like the room. I have spent a great deal of time on Soi 6. I actually rarely go into a bar. If I do go in it is not for long. I don't like drinking alcohol. I am always sober. I am almost always very polite. I have never had any problems in Soi 6. I stay for months at a time. I find the atmosphere entertaining. Great people watching. I often walk to and from Walking Street. However, I don't stay out for very long after the bars close. Having said all this. I must say that my appearance to many is a little hostile. This appearance is a trick of the universe. It is mainly, because my face has saged over the years, giving me a frown. I also worked in the Criminal Justice System for 33 years. I walk with my eyes wide open. I only carry the funds that, I anticipate useing that evening. I never wear any jewelry, and only an old inexpensive watch. I don't dress like a million dollars, despite being a multi millionaire. After a while people on Soi 6 just think of you as a resident. I never talk about being wealthy. Unless in an anonymous forum like this.

A multi-millionnaire and you stay in Soi 6 ... do me a favour!

multi millionaire in turkish lira probably!!!

That would be rich in US Dollars.

Seems that you are very jealous, and have a small mind!

small mind or small pecker.... what would you choose?

You must have a big chip on your cyber shoulder, going on about how multi million you are on an anonymous forum...

that's the great thing about the internet... you can be anything or anyone you want... it's also what a lot of people who spend a lot of time in Thailand do, re-invent themselves, still as long as you're happy thumbsup.gif

Like Moonseeker said always have you BS detector on. Being aware of what is going on around you will save you all kind of BS, not saying to be paranoiac just aware. When a little voice in you head is saying something is not right it is probably going to happen so get out of there. Example, if you see a group of ladyboys coming at you you have to be pro-active to prevent the hugging, stay polite and don't show anger, the polite way is always the better option even if you are boiling inside.

One of my friend in Phuket had is ring stolen by a group of ladyboys, I was thinking how you can stole a ring on a finger and not feel anything? The next day I was talking to his girlfriend and she said that he was very drunk, not a little, more like 10 beers and 15 shots of tequila. That is how you get yourself on trouble.

In over 15 years travelling in Thailand, the only thing that happen to me was my sandals stolen at a temple fair in Khrungthep and the Thais who were with me were more outrage than me. In my book Thailand is pretty safe.

Why would I be polite to drugged up ladyboy trying to grab me? Being polite will be interpreted as a sign of weakness. I am not overly rude to them but I make a point that they are not to touch me at all. They get the idea.

In normal envounters, I would have to agree that being polite is a better option, but Ladyboys are not normal. Many of them act and bark like dogs, so I treat them as such. Think my point is out of line? If you do, then you have obviously not been barked at by a ladyboy.

I like to exercise on the beach when it's getting dark outside, never had any problems in Jomtien, I see some drunk and drugged locals walking around me , sometimes they want to talk to me but no real danger so far. There was one ladyboy that was up to no good , she followed foreigners around but she could not keep up with my pace .

In my dozen visits, starting since 2004, I never considered not going after dark. I used to often take a long nap, get up at 4 am or whatever and being bored head out for a walk. There were a few places down on walking street that were open late late, and one could find something to do there. I met some of my longer term lady friends down there. That was always the blast about Pattaya. One could usually find something to do somewhere. Now all the lights, the crappy smaller walking area since they widened beach road, ugly tree scalping job, many more cops, it just isn't as tempting any more. People took advantage of the place and the night time bad events really do happen more than they used to what with more drunk farang fights, small time thai kid gangs, much more aggressive ladyboys, etc. Don't wear flashy jewelry, don't be a stupid drunk, carry your money and ID safely and the overwhelming odds are still pretty good you won't have any trouble. Pattaya has not gotten as bad as Tijuana degraded too, yet

Beach road is fun also at night, and it's simple to avoid troubly by...

- not wearing any necklages or rings

- having your oldest mobile with you that is NOT a smart phone (my old Nokia 2760 is good enoug for calling and SMS, but nothing more)

- not display expensive watches (my 1'500 Baht plastic swatch shows me the time also..)

- wear cash and card and copy of ID papers in the front pockets (where I would definitely take note of hands going in...)

and I never had an issue, maybe just because I don't show anything worth to be stolen...

Yes to all those things. One of the times I have been "groped" they did manage to get my $8 USD watch from Wal Mart off my wrist, but they gave it back! They were pretty much convinced I was a cheap Charlie and not worth much more effort. That's fine. They don't need to know or think I am loaded. I wear either local Thai t-shirts, or my no-name polo type shirts again from Wal Mart or Sears or whatever they were on sale.

Archived