Gay Monk Debate

Scott

Gay monk debate: Insightful interview with a transvestite-turned-monk

By Coconuts BangkokApril 24, 2014 / 17:12 ICT

gaymobk_0.jpg?itok=e-YBLfr5

Blocked by Thai censors last month, an interview with a homosexual Buddhist monk by a popular TV host was finally allowed to air on television recently.

Whether it is appropriate for a man who exhibits openly gay behavior and has strong faith in Buddhism to become a monk is a sensitive issue taken head on in Woody Talk’s interview of Tanaisawan “George” Chandha-dhammo, a monk and former transvestite, which ran two weeks ago.

The Venerable George, 28, used to be a medical student under a Russian scholarship and once dressed like a woman publicly. Now he practices Buddhism at Vivegvanaram Monastery in Hat Yai, Songkhla province.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/04/24/gay-monk-debate-insightful-interview-transvestite-turned-monk

Handy when they marry they'll save by cutting out the middle monk,

Always astonishes me seeing monks puffing on fags awaywhile on their mobiles at Chiang mai Arcade I guess they need a break from all that abstinence as much as the next man, amazing waht the sueprstitious willl tolerate

Always astonishes me seeing monks puffing on fags awaywhile on their mobiles at Chiang mai Arcade I guess they need a break from all that abstinence as much as the next man, amazing waht the sueprstitious willl tolerate

They do that in public ?

My son just finished his 18 day merit making at a Sattahip temple. After 4 days or so he got his orange robes, and I asked him if he had learnt something already.

He started with saying, monks don't smoke, at which point I abruptly interrupted him and asked him to look around, since there were 5 monks within eyesight and they were all smoking.

I didn't inquire him any further what he had learnt so far.

My son just finished his 18 day merit making at a Sattahip temple. After 4 days or so he got his orange robes, and I asked him if he had learnt something already.

He started with saying, monks don't smoke, at which point I abruptly interrupted him and asked him to look around, since there were 5 monks within eyesight and they were all smoking.

I didn't inquire him any further what he had learnt so far.

I was young and it was many moons ago on Koh Samui. So I visited this temple, and I saw a group of monks, of which a few were smoking. I approached politely and asked whether I could ask a question in English (I didn't speak Thai at the time). An elderly monk (which I assumed to be the abbot) smiled at me and said, of course, what is your question.

My question was: "I understand that the Lord Buddha said though shalt not smoke. But I see these colleagues of yours smoking. I do not understand this."

He replied: "You did not understand the words of the Lord Buddha. He did not say that smoking is prohibited, but he said that if you want to reach enlightening, it will be easier if you follow the path described. Now, these monks that smoke might not reach enlightening, or at least it will be more difficult for them. But that is their own decision."

• Like 1

There are a lot of gay goings-on in the temples. One friend of mine who was educated in a temple told me that that was where he learned all about being gay.

There was another TV, a star from Tiffanys, I think, who became a monk just recently ( a real monk, not a temporary one), and there was a lot of publicity about him.

As for smoking, monks seem to do it quite openly, even in the temple grounds. If they disregard the other 'rules' as readily, there seems little point in their being monks (except for free food and lodging).

There are a lot of gay goings-on in the temples. One friend of mine who was educated in a temple told me that that was where he learned all about being gay.

There was another TV, a star from Tiffanys, I think, who became a monk just recently ( a real monk, not a temporary one), and there was a lot of publicity about him.

As for smoking, monks seem to do it quite openly, even in the temple grounds. If they disregard the other 'rules' as readily, there seems little point in their being monks (except for free food and lodging).

There's no rule specifically against smoking in Thai Buddhism.

The Tiffany monk was interviewed in the videos that coconut posted the links to.

Edited by sustento

The Tiffany monk was interviewed in the videos that coconut posted the links to.

I thought they were forbidden to smoke... but I guess you know better!

Thanks for the comment about the video (I thought he looked familiar). I'm still using an aircard, which is too slow for videos.

I thought they were forbidden to smoke... but I guess you know better!

Thanks for the comment about the video (I thought he looked familiar). I'm still using an aircard, which is too slow for videos.

Tobacco (and I believe they mean the nicotine in it) is considered a drug and should therefore be avoided. At least according to our teacher when I was a monk. Furthermore, if you have a craving for cigarettes (otherwise, why would you smoke them), you have not freed yourself from suffering. It is a simple goal for a practitioner of meditation to give up smoking, and if you cannot even reach this goal, you will have difficulties reaching other goals.

It is not "forbidden" in the Christian sense; there will be no god punishing you for disobedience. If you do not follow the advice not to smoke, it will be much more difficult for you to reach enlightenment. This, however, is your own decision.

It gets more complicated when you consider second-hand smoke and that you actually harm people by smoking in their presence. Or that the cigarette filters are not only harmful to the environment but also dangerous to some animals who may eat them.

• Like 1