Tot request timeout error?

Sandman77

3 weeks my new tot DSL works fine, but this week the problem begin

Some website works need longer to open but some I cannot open and got a request time out error?

Any ideas ?

Does tot also have a proxy I can use?

Ping mostly good 45 but in bad times goes up to 220 ms

Bangkok - Same as the OP. Here's a message I receive.

Request Timeout
The server timed out while waiting for the browser's request.Reference #2.9d3299cb.1398385927.0

Firefox seems to be more problematic than Chrome.

I guess I'll have to call TOT.

If I want post on tv here over the tot line often it needs 20 second the text go out!

On a speedtest it beginn slowly on daytime 4 to 6 Mbit nighttime up to 10 Mbit

Usenet downloads often stop without any reason it looks like there is active port speed reduction also

What Usenet ports are avalible for testing ?

If I want post on tv here over the tot line often it needs 20 second the text go out!

Could be an issue with your ISP DNS not returning Name-to-IP lookups reliably or quickly enough.

Have you tried using alternative DNS servers, either alternate servers provided by your ISP or Public DNS servers from google ( 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 )? These can be set in your Router or just local on your machine.

Could also be a Gateway/Router issue (packet data traffic being held-up or misdirected to take longer path). While you can't directly fix this you could use a Proxy Service or VPN to attempt to bypass around the issue.

On a speedtest it beginn slowly on daytime 4 to 6 Mbit nighttime up to 10 Mbit

There are differences between types of speedtest connections.

• LOCAL

a speedtest that is 'directly hosted' on your ISP at their Network Operations Center will show how well the WAN Circuit is working back to the NOC. It should ALWAYS show working at full capacity. If reduced speeds are indicated there may be heavy contention for the use of the shared local Gateway or an equipment issue requiring a power cycle to clear/reset.

• In-Country

a speedtest that is hosted on a neighboring ISP will show how well the two ISP gateways are communicating over the Internet. Reduced speeds during the test would indicate a heavy traffic period.

• International Internet Gateway

specialized speedtest sites like testmy.net or startping.com can assist you in determining your International Internet throughput speeds to other countries.

A person residing in Bangkok with other heavy Internet users sharing the same local gateway will encounter speed issues due to resource contention, or equipment misconfiguration or failure. You can always contact your ISP if the issue you are experiencing is out-of-the-norm.

Usenet downloads often stop without any reason it looks like there is active port speed reduction also

What Usenet ports are avalible for testing ?

Check with your UseNet provider to see if they support alternate ports.

This article on the NewsGroupReviews website lists alternate ports on many UseNet Services

When evaluating/troubleshooting a connection/speed issue it's important to look at several things.

• Local and Connecting Equipment:

to test, run a speedtest that is directly hosted on your ISPs NOC (Network Operations Center). If it shows working at full capacity then the circuit and equipment are good. If now, try power cycling all your local equipment (Modem/Router, WiFi, Computer, etc).

• DNS:

Domain Name Servers are responsible for converting URL names to IP numbers used by the Internet to make the actual connection. A simple html page may require hundreds of lookups before attempting to retrieve data and render a page.

A flaky or overburdened DNS could deliver unreliable or extremely delayed results. While using a local ISP DNS is desirable, but if it's not reliable... You could get better/faster results using an alternate DNS set provided by your ISP, use one provided by another local SIP, or use a Public DNS like 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 provided by google

There are also programs you can download that will test DNS throughput and accuracy against several local servers, as well as programs that can 'set' your computer to use alternate DNS outside those provided by your ISP or local routing equipment.

I guess it will not help. TOT is a disaster. But then, which Provider here isn't.

had the same with true....but now it is OK since the electric lines where fixed on the main street (maybe the did something with the phone lines as well??)

I have had problems with my TOT ADSL for a month now. The problems seems to relate to Google services. I'm using Google DNS.

On Thaivisa there is waiting for 1ps-googleusercontent.com, ajax.googleservices.com (or similar) etc. etc.

Yesterday I got fed up and installed squid3 proxy server to my home server. Mainly to try if that helps at all.

Now my connection seems smoother and pages seems to load faster and more reliable compared to the earlier.

On TOT Fiber2U now and I've had issues with ThaiVisa pages waiting for googleusercontent.com and googleservices.com content. Switching Hola! browser proxy to Singapore instantly fixes the issue.

Very odd. One day some google services won't connect while others are fine, then the next day a different set of google services won't connect. Each time it occurs switching the proxy to Singapore alleviates the issue entirely. TOT routing issue? George annoying us? Bad Karma?