British Jeep Driver injured in high speed collision in East Pattaya

webfact

British Jeep Driver injured in high speed collision in East Pattaya

crash-51.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Traffic was brought to a standstill on Wednesday Night after a high speed collision involving three vehicles occurred on the railroad running along the East side of Pattaya.

A British National, Mr. Mario Sambucci aged 62 was the only person injured in the crash which saw his Jeep flip over after it was reportedly clipped on the rear by a Toyota Fortuna.

The incident occurred where the railroad intersects with Soi Kao Noi and happened just after 7pm. The Jeep was travelling up Soi Kao Noi and the Fortuna was travelling along the railroad towards Soi Kaotalo.

The Fortuna, driven by Khun Powalisar aged 37, struck the rear of the Jeep as it crossed the rail track, causing the Jeep to flip over onto its roof. The Fortuna also hit a motorbike driven by Khun Chachawan aged 30 who escaped injury.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/126099/british-jeep-driver-injured-in-high-speed-collision-in-east-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-04-25

A "37 year old Thai male driving a Fortuner" is all that you really need to know.........They think that they own the roads, and drive like they do. Do they teach "survival of the biggest" is the Rule of the Road in drivers' education classes here in Thailand?

Yep. And now you know. Be safe.

I would say the driver of the Jeep is probably at fault. Khao noi, khao talo, nernplubwan, etc all cross the railroad tracks and have a flashing red light which means stop. traveling along the railroad is flashing yellow meaning slow down and proceed with caution. Most people including farangs ignore the flashing red and continue like they are on the motorway.

• Like 1

A "37 year old Thai male driving a Fortuner" is all that you really need to know.........They think that they own the roads, and drive like they do. Do they teach "survival of the biggest" is the Rule of the Road in drivers' education classes here in Thailand?

"Police are now investigating the crash and may press charges against one of the drivers should they decide one of those involved in the crash were at-fault."

Nice to see that even though the police are still investigating to determine who was at fault you already have that information and that is all we need to know. Are you helping the police with any other investigations that can be expedited?
Edited by MMarlow

I would say the driver of the Jeep is probably at fault. Khao noi, khao talo, nernplubwan, etc all cross the railroad tracks and have a flashing red light which means stop. traveling along the railroad is flashing yellow meaning slow down and proceed with caution. Most people including farangs ignore the flashing red and continue like they are on the motorway.

Quite correct. Im amazed to see how most posters blame the Thai. It is quite simple on this road. The main road going along the railway line has right of way. This does not stop the people travelling up and down the sois not giving way. The driver of the jeep will be at fault for insurance reasons as he had a red flashing light.The fortuna only had a flashing amber light.

Always good to see a judgement with any evidence whatsoever.

No matter where you are, MM, the vehicle overtaking - or at the rear - is always responsible, It is the only hone who can see the whole picture. Even if the front vehicle brakes suddenly, the rear one must be of sufficient distance away to brake safely!

I always stay close to the bumper of the vehicle in front of me...so that we appear to be driving in tandem...when traversing the railroad crossing...dangerous and intense experience...every time...

How MANY times we have to say.

DON,T GO OUT TO THE CRAZY THAI TRAFFIC!!!

The Thai "driver " who suffer from BRAIN, and driving experience, and DRIVING LICENCE AND INSURANCE , can not be avoided, if you don,t leave the country !

Be happy if you survive one days travel in Thailand without to get killed or injured, of same crazy, incompetent driver, who in BEST cases have 3 hours driving school,a, and driving test, who are payed "under the table " to be accepted, and signed.

And if a accident appear, the Thai driver have for sure NO INSURANCES !

Have seen this under my 18 year in Thailand, every day !!!

Good to hear you have managed to survive 18 years in Thailand whistling.gif

• Like 2

I live on Soi Khao Noi and regularly travel the Railway Road. At junctions I'm afraid it's a case of "who dares wins" ... no-one, farangs and Thai's alike, take any notice whatsoever of the warning lights determining who as "right of way". Dare I say it but the concept of "right of way" is completely unknown/ignored in Thailand as is evidenced everyday when drivers pull out of side roads in front of you without even looking.

• Like 1

No matter where you are, MM, the vehicle overtaking - or at the rear - is always responsible, It is the only hone who can see the whole picture. Even if the front vehicle brakes suddenly, the rear one must be of sufficient distance away to brake safely!

They were not travelling one in front of the other, one was on the railway road the other was on Khao Noi.

And yes the railway road has priority over the intersecting roads, however, that does not mean that drivers on the railway road should take it for granted that their way will be clear, everybody should always approach these intersections with extreme caution. .

• Like 1

I did say probably. The evidence would be the jeep was going in the direction which is supposed to stop and the fortuner was not.

Enhance you reading comprehension skills, your quality of life will improve greatly.

Most people approach these very tricky intersections with a great deal of caution. Usually at 7pm, that section of road is very busy, but there are times when the rail road in the direction the Fortuner was travelling can have very few vehicles, prompting some drivers to speed up and try to "intimidate" their way through the crossing traffic (big buses are notorious for doing this on that section of road). Sometimes there's a traffic cop there, sometimes there isn't, and then it's a bloody free-for-all. Hope the Brit guy isn't too badly hurt.

The Thai "driver " who suffer from BRAIN, and driving experience, and DRIVING LICENCE AND INSURANCE , can not be avoided, if you don,t leave the country !

Be happy if you survive one days travel in Thailand without to get killed or injured, of same crazy, incompetent driver, who in BEST cases have 3 hours driving school,a, and driving test, who are payed "under the table " to be accepted, and signed.

The most ridiculous post of the day?

Give this person a break.English is obviously a second language for them.

It will all be fine soon, they recently announced they would be building 5 overpasses at these junctions, can't wait to see that!

And the construction will probably be done at the same time they are doing the under pass at Suk and Klang! 555555

• Like 2

"And if a accident appear, the Thai driver have for sure NO INSURANCES !"

Not always true - the miriad of Thai who have hit my car have all had insurance.

It helps if you stomp out of your own car (and mine is both large, expensive and I make sure I tell them I paid cash) march up to them and shout loudly "You have insurance?"

They cave in instantly.

Sadly that also seems to be the case for many so-called English first-language speakers ... giggle.gif

• Like 2

I am surprised you defended him as whether first or third language his rant is perfectly comprehensible. If not ridiculous how would you describe it?

I am surprised you defended him as whether first or third language his rant is perfectly comprehensible. If not ridiculous how would you describe it?

Courageous is how I would describe it.Not defending what was posted.

What a crass remark. Who hit who? From what was reported the Fortuna hit the Jeep.

There seems to be the same mentality in Thailand as in the Middle East i.e. the locals are the best drivers in the world.

Put the blame were it is due and stop making stupid comments