EC's talks with parties fail to raise hopes of solution to crisis

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
EC's talks with parties fail to raise hopes of solution to crisis

Samudcha Hoonsara
Nation News Agency

BANGKOK: -- Despite the meeting earlier this week between the Election Commission and representatives from over 50 political parties, uncertainties remain about the next election.

The EC and the government have yet to agree on a date for new voting. The opposition Democrat Party has yet to make it clear whether it will contest the next election, after the party boycotted the previous one in February.

Even if the next election takes place, the people involved will have to keep their fingers crossed that voting takes place successfully without any disruption that could result in it being declared void again.

The Constitutional Court ruled that the February 2 election was void because it was not organised on the same day for the entire country, which was against the Constitution.

Due to the lingering uncertainties, Thailand's gross domestic product has been on a constant decline. This indicates that Thai people have been affected by what politicians are doing.

Their political game and conflict have continued with no end in sight, but it is ordinary people on the street who are suffering from the impacts.

The question is: Who will be held responsible for what happened?

Thailand's neighbours in Asean have seen changes in government from time to time over recent years, but they have seen no political confusion to the extent experienced in our country. They all still see a bright outlook ahead and are eagerly preparing for the advent of the Asean Economic Community next year.

Looking at our country, the situation is almost hopeless. Conflicting politicians and political groups have taken the Thai people hostage many times since 2006.

There have been frequent street protests and the Thai people's fate is left in the protesters' hands.

Frequent confusion like this is not likely to bring real benefit to anyone. Protest leaders face legal actions and they sometimes break the law simply to please their followers.

Politicians in power are kept busy dealing with the protests while having to make sure they do not abuse their authority.

Talks are not a feasible option at the moment as the politicians involved have been firm with their standpoints and have shown so signs of compromising.

The anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee demands to see national reform before the next election. The government and the ruling Pheu Thai Party have been firm with "going ahead with an election in line the democratic principle".

The pro-government red shirts vow to act against anyone who fails to play by the rules, although they sometimes break a different set of rules.

The Democrats and the military, which are also key players in Thai politics, have shown no eagerness to help ease the tense situation.

In fact, Pheu Thai and the government that it is leading should also be blamed for the country's problems.

Thailand got its first female prime minister when Yingluck Shinawatra came to power in 2011. However, many of her government's expensive policies, which originated from Pheu Thai's campaign promises, led to severe budgetary burdens.

Its push for controversial laws, such as the blanket amnesty bill and the constitutional amendment bill, also caused widespread dissatisfaction.

Despite the mounting pressure against her and the administration, Yingluck, who dissolved the House of Representatives in December, has remained firm on having an election to get a new democratically elected government.

On the opposite side, her political enemies hope that the cases against the prime minister being dealt with by the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Constitutional Court lead to her ouster and a political vacuum.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-25

Surprise Surprise.......

Now maybe everyone will shut up up and listen to Abhisit for once.....

The elections will NOT work unless something is done to make them fair, and the government stop trying to have it all their own way all the time.

They can't even agree on a date, so how the > do they expect it to heal a deeply polarized country that the majority are tired of seeing corrupted as well as their democratic system and constantly denied the free and fair choice to vote the way they want to. Where all parties have a fair and equal chance to canvass for votes based on merit and credibility.

I said it once and I will repeat it.... Thailand and democracy don't and never will be able to live together.

Edited by WoopyDoo
  • Like 2

There is no solution. There is no hope. The PDRC basically wants to reduce representative government, so that the DP and Bangkok can get back in power. The PTP wants full representative government, majority rule and damn the views of the most powerful and elite in the country. Neither of these is a viable answer - in this day and age, as we have seen in country after country, domination by a minority is only possible with an iron hand and dictatorship. And no country functions well when the elites are cut out - just google "Economic conditions in Venezuela" for an example. So where does that leave Thailand? In an impasse. The elites through their CC or NACC will kick PTP out of government some time soon, most probably - the so-called judicial coup. And then the reds will march, occupy, and the cycle will continue - till somehow the elites figure out a way to share power, reach broader appeal and agree on some middle ground.

• Like 2

All parties must take responsibility.

The PTP and Governmane (and Red Shirts) - must follow the rule of law, must stop insisting on their own way, must be open to reform

The PDRC - must find a way to move away from insisting on complete reforms before elections and insisting that the Shinatawara clan leave politics completely.

The Democrats must find their voice - and be ready to compromise on elections soon and on reforms.

Perhaps if some electoral reforms can happen so that the next election is more fair, safe and honest, and court decisions are NOT ignored, and an election happens soon (in the EC timeframe), things can improve.

The PTP and Governmane (and Red Shirts) - must follow the rule of law, must stop insisting on their own way, must be open to reform

The PDRC - must find a way to move away from insisting on complete reforms before elections and insisting that the Shinatawara clan leave politics completely.

The Democrats must find their voice - and be ready to compromise on elections soon and on reforms.

Perhaps if some electoral reforms can happen so that the next election is more fair, safe and honest, and court decisions are NOT ignored, and an election happens soon (in the EC timeframe), things can improve.

.................and the noodle lady MUST put more pork in the noodle soup.

• Like 1

... and the traffic cop MUST quit stopping me on my bike and hitting me with the 500 baht police benevolent fund contribution...

... and the traffic cop MUST quit stopping me on my bike and hitting me with the 500 baht police benevolent fund contribution...

.............and motor cy's must have tail lights that work at night................

Surprise Surprise.......

Now maybe everyone will shut up up and listen to Abhisit for once.....

The elections will NOT work unless something is done to make them fair, and the government stop trying to have it all their own way all the time.

They can't even agree on a date, so how the > do they expect it to heal a deeply polarized country that the majority are tired of seeing corrupted as well as their democratic system and constantly denied the free and fair choice to vote the way they want to. Where all parties have a fair and equal chance to canvass for votes based on merit and credibility.

I said it once and I will repeat it.... Thailand and democracy don't and never will be able to live together.

100% right.... Thailand and democracy just does not sit... It is time for the military to step in and pick a government to run this country... just my thought as I am Farang and I can walk away at any time.

Just a thought.

If it was not for Suthep Thailand would not be having the problems it is having now? Right or wrong?

Just a thought truth.

If it was not for Thaksin Thailand would not be having the problems it is having now. I won't ask if that is right or wrong as we all know it is the ultimate truth to this mess....

.............and motor cy's must have tail lights that work at night................

... and cars MUST stop for pedestrians at crosswalks!

Just a thought.

If it was not for Suthep Thailand would not be having the problems it is having now? Right or wrong?

Just a thought truth.

If it was not for Thaksin Thailand would not be having the problems it is having now. I won't ask if that is right or wrong as we all know it is the ultimate truth to this mess....

Thaksin is just a symptom, not the disease. The disease is a corrupted, in-transparent system that over-empowers those pulling the levers on either or any side, and doesn't encourage critical thinking by the masses.

• Like 1

Just a thought.

Are you for real? blink.png

The problems have been inherent for decades, but never brought to light.

If you think the problems should not be addressed then go back to under your comfortable rock, and watch the mighty frog get richer, and the poor poorer, 'as you like it' deems to be.

Suthep, and not only he, brought to the forefront the basic problems of corruption, and money mispent, even if he's had his own mismatches in the past.

The people's latched on to what he portrayed, and liked it/like it. Now the can of worms is open... there is no going back.

So... in answer to your question, yes of course the problems would still be active, but not problems associated with Suthep yet the basic problems of government and local corruption taking away from the honest worker. If you think it right to have left those problems unturned then I pity your strategy and theory.

I answered in a triple negative, as was your intent in your double negative question... when you asked, "if it was NOT for Suthep Thailand would NOT be having"....

I guess you meant, "If it were not for Suthep, would Thailand be having problems now?"

What is happening is a path to disclosure of all government finances, observed by the higher powers observing government spending, and operations which are transparent.

If you don't agree that is a good thing then wear a red-shirt for as long as you live.... and see where it gets you in 5 years time.

The Thai nation depends on "keeping their fingers crossed" that the election will take place and won't be boycotted again by party leaders or disrupted by protesters.

Who are you to say this?

The Thai nation want reforms before elections.

• Like 1