Thawil to oversee South talks, Prayuth specifies

webfact

Thawil to oversee South talks, Prayuth specifies
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thawil Pliensri, who has returned to his post as National Security Council (NSC) secretary-general, would be the chief negotiator in the ongoing dialogue with insurgents in the far South and will act within the framework already set by authorities, Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha told caretaker PM Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday.

Yingluck was attending a Defence Council meeting in her capacity as defence minister.

Prayuth clarified Thawil's role in response to an enquiry from Yingluck. She had transferred Thawil several years ago, but he has been reinstated via a Supreme Court order.

Thawil's transfer, which is now being further studied by the Constitutional Court, might end up being the reason behind the ouster of this government.

This is the first time that Yingluck has publicly asked about Thawil's role since he returned to the NSC in place of Paradorn Pattanathabut.

Thailand has held three rounds of meetings with the insurgents, but the fourth meeting has been put on hold due to the caretaker status of the government.

After the Defence Council meeting, Defence Ministry spokesman Colonel Paphathip Sawangsaeng told reporters that this would be the year of offensive against the insurgency in the South.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-25

Quite a day for YL then, she actually attended a meeting and wasn't briefed by the army chief about who would run ongoing dialogue with insurgents, she was TOLD.

Isn't she supposed to be PM and Defence Minister ?

She took the position of Defense Minister only to get the pretty ribbon/medal for her govt uniform...never did plan to take on much of any of the day-to-day Defense Minister duties and responsibilities as she delegated most of those away to the Deputy Defense Minister from the get-go. That's the danger of handing out ribbons/medals to govt officials so easily and quickly without the need to really earn them.

• Like 1

Quite a day for YL then, she actually attended a meeting and wasn't briefed by the army chief about who would run ongoing dialogue with insurgents, she was TOLD.

She took the position of Defense Minister only to get the pretty ribbon/medal for her govt uniform...never did plan to take on much of any of the day-to-day Defense Minister duties and responsibilities as she delegated most of those away to the Deputy Defense Minister from the get-go. That's the danger of handing out ribbons/medals to govt officials so easily and quickly without the need to really earn them.

It's amazing but TIT so understandable.

We have all seen young police officers, govt officials etc with rows of medal ribbons that they can't possibly have enough service to have earned.

As the old insult goes " I had more sick leave than they have service ".

"Colonel Paphathip Sawangsaeng told reporters that this would be the year of offensive against the insurgency in the South."

We'll see if anything progressive happens ...it's May already........there's been so much said of this battle over the years...no Thai government has ever really tried to bring it to an end.....security forces have never seemed to have any semblance of success....discipline of these forces has been questionable to say the least.....

We all hope for some resolution in the near future....

I think we all know the answer to that one.

You could probably have more successful leadership from a 6 x 10 inch piece of bubble wrap, than you would ever get from Poo.

So she is checking up on Thawil already, and it sees he is doing a shitload more than the dildo that she put into his job.

But then again I can understand that the problems in the south is secondary compared with parachuting a family member into a cushy job.

Is the 'dildo' still a member of CAPO? If so, in what capacity? What is Paradorn's current job title?

We have all seen young police officers, govt officials etc with rows of medal ribbons that they can't possibly have enough service to have earned.

I'm not sure that I like what you are saying here. Are you trying to tell us that Yingluck's 10 year old child did not really earn the impressive chest of medals he was sporting when mummy was thrust into power?

• Like 1

I'm not sure that I like what you are saying here. Are you trying to tell us that Yingluck's 10 year old child did not really earn the impressive chest of medals he was sporting when mummy was thrust into power?

Oh I am absolutely sure HE earned them, it's the others I'm not sure about.

Poor Thawil must be regretting getting his job back now. Go South young man.

When he is killed in am ambush YL has covered herself. "It was the General who gave the order"

If you had any idea of what you're posting about, you would know that Thawil is just going back to what he was doing before being removed to allow for a clan member to become police chief.

In response to Whoopydoo's

Is the 'dildo' still a member of CAPO? If so, in what capacity? What is Paradorn's current job title?

He's now a PM's advisor, one of many aka spin doctors

Poor Thawil must be regretting getting his job back now. Go South young man.

When he is killed in am ambush YL has covered herself. "It was the General who gave the order"

He may be a very well qualified person for the job - at least far more qualified than the family member that Yinglung pushed him aside for.

The other good thing is that he probably will be around to negotiate for longer than the PM her self

Funny, we have a general trained in warfare pushing for peace; and the head of CAPO accurately predicting violence

• Like 1

A posting to the south seems to be the Thai equivalent of when Germans were sent to the Russian front. smile.png

But Thawil seems to have more about him than Poo, Chalerm, Thaksin and all the other danger dodgers so maybe there's hope yet.