Home security

JohnnyJazz

If you have the right software, Blueiris for example, it will send snapshots to you email account as soon as it detects any movement. You can enter in the settings how many and the timespan between each snapshot.

So the pictures are in your email already when they reach your server.

this isn't really the place to debate the merits of open source vs proprietary software, but whistling.gif

how much does blueiris cost? (zoneminder is free)

how configurable is blueiris, and can you write your own modules for it? (the OP stated he was not interested in proprietary systems)

does blueiris manage home automation? (no, and the OP specifically said this was a wanted criteria)

i'm sure the program works great for you, but it does not fulfill the requirements that were asked about (no offense intended)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the right software, Blueiris for example, it will send snapshots to you email account as soon as it detects any movement. You can enter in the settings how many and the timespan between each snapshot.

So the pictures are in your email already when they reach your server.

this isn't really the place to debate the merits of open source vs proprietary software, but whistling.gif

how much does blueiris cost? (zoneminder is free)

how configurable is blueiris, and can you write your own modules for it? (the OP stated he was not interested in proprietary systems)

does blueiris manage home automation? (no, and the OP specifically said this was a wanted criteria)

i'm sure the program works great for you, but it does not fulfill the requirements that were asked about (no offense intended)

Blue iris costs 49$, I have posted a link where a free trial can be downloaded. I don't know zoneminder, but I know that Blue iris is very complete, and has apps for all platforms.

Take a look on the forums related to homesecurity and they all advice blue iris.

Which are the requirements that blue iris doesn't fulfill ?

Edit : had a quick glance at zoneminder.

Runs on linux only. Means needs separate server

No android app

Supports Mpeg, but seemingly not H.264 so needs about 10 times as much HDD space.

I think if free zoneminder was the top, the forums wouldn't recommend a paid software.wink.png

Edited by JesseFrank

Blue iris costs 49$, I have posted a link where a free trial can be downloaded. I don't know zoneminder, but I know that Blue iris is very complete, and has apps for all platforms.

1.Take a look on the forums related to homesecurity and they all advice blue iris.

2.Which are the requirements that blue iris doesn't fulfill ?

Edit : had a quick glance at zoneminder.

3.Runs on linux only. Means needs separate server

4.No android app

5.Supports Mpeg, but seemingly not H.264 so needs about 10 times as much HDD space.

6.I think if free zoneminder was the top, the forums wouldn't recommend a paid software.wink.png

1. source(s)?

2. home automation

3. i run it in a VM, so technically not true
4. 2 other very good apps i already mentioned, and several others available both free and paid
5. h264 is supported, just takes a little more work
6. well blueiris appears to only run on windows (so would need a separate server! thumbsup.gif), which rules it out for me (any many others). i'm not saying it isn't a great program, but when i was doing my research some time ago all the resources were putting iSpy up as the number 1 program for windows, maybe things have changed since then. i never said zoneminder was the best (although i think it is at least for my criteria), but it is free, easy and VERY flexible and configurable. all are free to make their own choices! wai.gif

Can't even be bothered to discuss this any further.

Your free open source software is much better than a paid software program. Happy ?

Same as Linux is also better than Windows or Mac, because it is free, yetr out of 10 people only 1 runs Linux where the other 9 run Windows or Mac.

A serevr is not needed to run a monitoring software,. Any home computer will do.

Edited by JesseFrank

i'm not interested in debating this any further either, but to say it really doesn't have anything to do with being free (as in free beer) but free as in freedom, or free speech - you have FULL control over everything and FULL access to all source code - how do you know blueiris isn't forwarding all your security videos to the NSA? w00t.gif

What about home insurance in Thailand, Is it any good? You can't stop them robbing you but if the insurance can cover then just make sure you have insurance.

with a british insurance contract, with the possebility, to sue the company in the UK,

you can protect your home in Pattaya, with

http://www.intasure.com/thailand/index.asp?introducer=200009

Thai insurance companies are working with a loss adjuster,

who is working for most of the thai companies in your area.

You will find your experience with the pattaya loss adjuster "special",

and will look for international insurance companies, for the next time.

(Farang prices are not insured, only market prices,

HomePro prices are not market prices ...)

Is it something simple to set up ?

it depends on the whole concept;

1. Router Reset

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diverser-GSM-switch-socket-DRH-301-SOLO/dp/B005KSVYY8

while you are out of town, your router needs a reset, that you get the connection to your camera,

so you "call" your gsm switch socket, that is connected to your ups, to order a reset for your router.

2. Router protection and connectivity

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/ups/

same story for the camera

I use 4 D-Link wireless IP cams. They come with a D-Link remote access and I also hooked them to a surveillance system on our Synology home server. Basically all that moves is recorded.

Problem only is that this is monitoring and not security, it will not prevent burglary or other incidents, therefore you will need active and passive security. Bars on windows, sirens, guards, etc.

I've always wanted to ask this question:

What do you do if the break in and steal your server, monitoring equipment, and/or recorder?

i don't worry about breakins as i live in a relatively secure condo (if anyone broke in while i am away it would either be the maid, yams or their friends!), but zoneminder uploads all motion detection videos to an ftp server or other cloud storage, and is very easy to setup, so you would still have the evidence.

Ah ha. Cloud services. I've never used them, but this would be a good reason why.

I have connected a remote lock/unlock for the door to so I can watch and open it for the maid now all from my mobile when not home and all in real time. It's as cheap as chips to do.

Do you mind giving us more details about how you did it ?

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Completely legal but I'm not sure why you would be attacking anyone on this forum. How you structure your business and company is completely up to you. Pay your taxes and your bills, look after your customers well and provide services people can use and your on a winner. Suggest you go elsewhere for advice :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

For my home, I use Asante (indoor) and Vivotek (outdoor) cameras - these megapixel cameras are easily available online and at a reasonable cost. The software is Security Monitor Pro, an excellent video surveillance software and I love it. It has time based recording and motion detection alerting, remote viewing, along with many other features that are useful. Easy to use and reliable.

For my home, I use Asante (indoor) and Vivotek (outdoor) cameras - these megapixel cameras are easily available online and at a reasonable cost. The software is Security Monitor Pro, an excellent video surveillance software and I love it. It has time based recording and motion detection alerting, remote viewing, along with many other features that are useful. Easy to use and reliable.

This company ASANTE seems to have a number of products I'm looking for. http://www.asante.com/

Tomorrow I'm also going to have a look at your software

I have connected a remote lock/unlock for the door to so I can watch and open it for the maid now all from my mobile when not home and all in real time. It's as cheap as chips to do.

Interesting concept but also scary. I dont know your IT knowledge but I hope it is good (likely is if you installed yourself). Serious security issues when opening up your house to the public internet if not done right.

Does it use SSL for security and if so is it heartbleed safe? Consumer devices will be a serious risk due to the typical nature of never upgrading, unlike servers which are mostly fixed already.

Do you have strong security on your wifi? WPA2 is good but WEP is very weak.

All it takes is a single flaw and a criminal could open your door on demand with nothing more than a smartphone.

All that said I love the idea... will do myself before long - automated homes will be the norm in 10 years but breakins will be carried out by hacking instead of picking locks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting concept but also scary. I dont know your IT knowledge but I hope it is good (likely is if you installed yourself). Serious security issues when opening up your house to the public internet if not done right.

Does it use SSL for security and if so is it heartbleed safe? Consumer devices will be a serious risk due to the typical nature of never upgrading, unlike servers which are mostly fixed already.

Do you have strong security on your wifi? WPA2 is good but WEP is very weak.

All it takes is a single flaw and a criminal could open your door on demand with nothing more than a smartphone.

All that said I love the idea... will do myself before long - automated homes will be the norm in 10 years but breakins will be carried out by hacking instead of picking locks.

I completely agree with you, see post #30.

That's why I try to educate myself . I don't expect to gain enough knowledge to become an expert but enough to make an informed decision when talking with sales people and contractors to make my home a "smart home".

I would strongly recommend having your local network security checked if you have equipment like online doors.

Heartbleed is worryingly easy to exploit and there is a high chance that both your router or your door use OpenSSL for security.

A single weak spot anywhere on your network is more dangerous than most homes.

Connected devices are typically more open from your local network.

Run the latest firmware for the door and use a very strong password.

Same for your router, plus disable wep wifi and use a strong pass for wpa2. Disable remote access to the router if you dont use it and ramp up the firewall settings.

Regularly scan home pcs with a strong anti malware and steer clear of dodgy sites.

Strong passcode and screen unlock, encrypted contents and remote wipe ability on your phone.

Check any and all other devices on your local network for upgrades or security settings.

Do all that and review it periodically and your door should be as secure as a traditional key which could always be lost or copied anyway.

But if you store loads of valuables you may want to go a few levels further.

I would strongly recommend having your local network security checked if you have equipment like online doors.

Heartbleed is worryingly easy to exploit and there is a high chance that both your router or your door use OpenSSL for security.

A single weak spot anywhere on your network is more dangerous than most homes.

Connected devices are typically more open from your local network.

Run the latest firmware for the door and use a very strong password.

Same for your router, plus disable wep wifi and use a strong pass for wpa2. Disable remote access to the router if you dont use it and ramp up the firewall settings.

Regularly scan home pcs with a strong anti malware and steer clear of dodgy sites.

Strong passcode and screen unlock, encrypted contents and remote wipe ability on your phone.

Check any and all other devices on your local network for upgrades or security settings.

Do all that and review it periodically and your door should be as secure as a traditional key which could always be lost or copied anyway.

But if you store loads of valuables you may want to go a few levels further.

But a bit higher in this thread was someone who wanted to argue with me that open source software was so much better than paid for .

OpenSSL i s open source SSL isn't it ?

Where are all those defenders of open source now? Heartbleed has made it clear to the world how good vulnerable open source actually is. Lets hope people wake up now.

http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/01/29/0111238/58000-security-camera-systems-critically-vulnerable-to-attackers

58,000 Security Camera Systems Critically Vulnerable To Attackers Edited by JesseFrank

heartbleed was discovered because the source is open and anyone is able to review the code. there is no way on earth to know what proprietary SSL vendors like symantec are doing with your data, or what backdoors they have provided for themselves or government security agencies. coffee1.gif

heartbleed was discovered because the source is open and anyone is able to review the code. there is no way on earth to know what proprietary SSL vendors like symantec are doing with your data, or what backdoors they have provided for themselves or government security agencies. coffee1.gif

Heartbleed was able to be created because of the open source, and we are lucky it was detected, but there can be some more active that haven't been detected yet.

It is indeed possible that Symantec has some backdoors we aren't aware of, but I doubt they will use it to burglar my house.

if your doorlocker is depending on electricity, it could have negative effects, when there is a power break down.

The other concept is a doorlocker, with a battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADEL-Trinity-788-Heavy-Duty-Biometric-Fingerprint-Door-Lock-/321329254060

Thanks for all the replies about the camera and the software.

But what about the computer you use to run the software. Can an old computer be ok ? Or do you need a top of the range computer with a lot of processing power and an high-end graphic card ?

i can only speak for zoneminder - depends on how old it is, but yes (to the first question). put as much memory in it as it will take (i would recommend at least 4gb, but i have run it on as little as 512mb), and you'll need a large disk if you want to keep alert events for any length of time. graphics card doesn't really matter if using IP cams. p4 or better is also a good idea but not strictly necessary. it really depends on how many cameras you plan to monitor. i have 16 old fashioned coax cameras running off 2 video capture cards on an intel core 2 model 15 (2.13ghz) with 4mb RAM and it gets to be a dog on occasion, but zoneminder can be tuned not to overtax minimal resources.

Edited by dharmabm

Maybe late to this thread, so apologies if I've missed a post somewhere along the line. I have a DVR cctv system from Dahui which is pretty common here in Thailand. It's accessible from your phone. I also have motion activated lights which I think provide the biggest deterrent to any potential thief. As a note, I installed all of this after being broken into at 2am in the morning. I was woken up by the wife screaming that she could hear someone in the house. The thief had cut through the window lock in the kitchen to get into the house. Luckily nothing stolen, just a broken window lock and a jimmied kitchen door lock

^ Thanks for your contribution, it's not too late at all, it's an ongoing discussion and we still have a lot of points to discuss.

Like ip Vs cctv cameras. I was thinking ip camera were easier to install but it seems people have no problem to integrate a cctv cameras with their computer network so maybe I'm going in the wrong direction. I'd like to know what is your experience in this domain ?

Edited by JohnnyJazz

^ Thanks for your contribution, it's not too late at all, it's an ongoing discussion and we still have a lot of points to discuss.

Like ip Vs cctv cameras. I was thinking ip camera were easier to install but it seems people have no problem to integrate a cctv cameras with their computer network so maybe I'm going in the wrong direction. I'd like to know what is your experience in this domain ?

It's connected to your network through the router, which is what gives you the remote access. You can access it it in real time on any computer connected to the network in your home. I actually have an additional d-Link IP camera, and frankly the cctv system was just as easy to install and not sure how weather resistant the stand alone IP camera's are. The cctv systems give you a much wider range of cameras which you can mix and match for quality/inside/outside/dome etc. One last point, the cctv cameras are just that, cameras. If they fail you just replace them, the IP cameras involve a helluva lot more hardware which is what drives up the price

Edited by GinBoy2

i'm not interested in debating this any further either, but to say it really doesn't have anything to do with being free (as in free beer) but free as in freedom, or free speech - you have FULL control over everything and FULL access to all source code - how do you know blueiris isn't forwarding all your security videos to the NSA? w00t.gif

How many people who use open source software actually read the entire source code for every program they install? I bet you could count them on the fingers of one hand. Edited by inthepink

How many people who use open source software actually read the entire source code for every program they install? I bet you could count them on the fingers of one hand.

The problem is not here. In open source, the source code has been reviewed by a community of people who are not influenced by some commercial or political interest. And furthermore, when softwares sometime cost much more than hardware, open source offers you the opportunity to use the softwares you need to function in our modern world without having to be a thief.

That's very good reasons to use open source softwares.