Academics urged to find a solution for the country

Lite Beer

Academics urged to find a solution for the country
Chanikarn Phumhiran
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Dr Kasem Wattanachai, a member of the Privy Council, yesterday called on Thai intellectuals and academics to help bring the country's political turmoil to an end, adding that the political divide in the Kingdom had worsened over the past decade.

Thai society has been shrouded in the dark over the past year owing to the populist policies employed by politicians, he said.

"People are infatuated with materialism and consumerism," he said.

He also noted that the mass media needs to look into what it feeds the people, adding that media's job was to provide essential information instead of just entertaining the public as it does now.

Dr Kasem also lamented the fact that most Thais revered the rich and powerful, even if they had committed wrongdoings.

In a recent survey conducted by Assumption University, up to 80 per cent of the respondents admitted to being involved in corruption.

"This is shocking! I would like to urge Thai people, especially civil servants, to light a candle to rid the country of corruption. What will happen to our nation if we don't help each other?" he asked.

Meanwhile, Ombudsman Siracha Charoenpanich said the Thai society was in a critical situation and required immediate action. Thais needed to return to their roots in order to bring Thailand back to what it used to be, he said.

"If we want to be a developed country, we need to build a discipline like Germany, Japan and South Korea," he said, adding that all agencies need to be honest and not allow corruption.

"Those who don't respect the law but claim they love democracy are false," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-26

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's this bloke?

A sutep clone?

Probably someone who is saying what a lot of Thai people think.

that sounds something like an election. maybe we should have one of those

Yawn.coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif Usual repetitive fever.

yawn coffee1.gif usual intolerance of others opinions. let me guess, your a thaksin hater or suthep lover, what a suprise rolleyes.gif

Edited by moonao

yawn coffee1.gif usual intolerance of others opinions. let me guess, your a thaksin hater or suthep lover, what a suprise rolleyes.gif

How can anyone love your dribble, apart from the other nine.

Your so full of #### for the love of a red machine.

Thaksin is not in my top million of people, can I put it that way.

Suthep is only there for a purpose -to remove an elected REGIME if the elected regime ran an effective government, NO Suthep.

Only ready for change and unpopular governments are exchanged at the ballot box. Regimes are NOT

You not only have an opinion, you have an OBSESSION.

You 10 hardcore pro government fanatics on TVF have the same rhetoric. the day has to come when you either admit the governments mismanagement--OR fade away/ lose face.

Edited by ginjag

yawn coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24> usual intolerance of others opinions. let me guess, your a thaksin hater or suthep lover, what a suprise rolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

Suthep is only there for a purpose -to remove an elected REGIME if the elected regime ran an effective government, NO Suthep.

Only ready for change and unpopular governments are exchanged at the ballot box. Regimes are NOT

You 10 hardcore pro government fanatics on TVF have the same rhetoric. the day has to come when you either admit the governments mismanagement--OR fade away/ lose face.

cheesy.gif glorious hissy fit, and for your own sake id suggest you learn to use the ignore feature on this forum laugh.png

• Like 1

cheesy.gif glorious hissy fit, and for your own sake id suggest you learn to use the ignore feature on this forum laugh.png

Maybe the other nine will think your funny.---pewk.

yawn coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24> usual intolerance of others opinions. let me guess, your a thaksin hater or suthep lover, what a suprise rolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

Keep typing your NORMAL rhetoric and soon you will get no replies.

But I am sure you will still love what you type---obsession.

" Those who don't respect the law but claim they love democracy are false," he said. "

It is easy to see why Pheu Thai supporters don't like this man. Just look at this statement - it's not exactly the Pheu Thai motto ! In fact, it's the single best sentence summation of exactly what this conflict is all about.

• Like 2

Dr Kasem sounds like he's in danger of believing the lie that Thailand ever had a golden past. Like people in every other poor country, the primary aspiration of most Thais is financial.

There appears to be no intellectual life and precious little historical knowledge in this place. Where are the philosophers, writers, scientists and artists? Sandwiched between the traditions of India and China, Thais have taken bits and pieces from both but have failed to do the one thing that actually generates ideas: to seek to create a unified system of thought.

The lese majeste laws have had a crippling effect on the whole intellectual landscape of this country. The people will never be able to think aloud until they break this chain.

The one thread of thought that may help Thais is Buddhism, but when I compare it to, say, Tibetan Buddhism, I feel it needs to freshen itself up for the modern problems that people face.

The irony is that Thais may well be perfectly suited to the coming corporate neo-feudalism as they have never intellectually gone beyond the medieval version.

Dr Kasem has a bit more credibility than you in understanding Thailand and Thai people - he only suffering from the lack of European ethnocentric bias that you are able to bring to the discussion.

Who's this bloke?

A sutep clone?

This is the most sensible thing I have seen written about the problems in Thailand today.

Don't you want corruption to diminish?

What do you disagree with? - I agree 100% with what he states.

Do you know what is the most beneficial thing that can happen for the poor farmers and the North/North eastern provinces of Thailand - for the Shinawatra's to be purged from this land.

Why? because there will be less corruption meaning that more money will find its way to where it should be going instead of in lining the pockets of this corrupt government!!

• Like 1