Dr M defends MAS and blames Boeing for MH370’s disappearance

Lite Beer

Dr M defends MAS and blames Boeing for MH370’s disappearance
BY EILEEN NG

mahathir-reuters-021213_540_359_100.JPG
Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad says Boeing is to be blamed for MH370's disappearance as the company is responsible for manufacturing the aircraft. – The Malaysian Insider pic, April 26, 2014.

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has blamed aircraft manufacturer Boeing for the missing Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 and said the company should explain how it could have produced a plane with communications and tracking systems that were so easily disabled.

In defending the national carrier which had been blamed by upset relatives of the 239 passengers on board, especially those from China, the former prime minister said he was upset that Malaysia Airlines staff were held for more than 10 hours in a hotel in Beijing yesterday.

The families in Beijing had expressed dissatisfaction in obtaining details of the missing aircraft, MAS had said.

"I am upset because they are blaming the wrong people. The loss of the plane is due to the makers Boeing.

"MAS is not at fault, lax security or not. MAS flew a plane fully expecting it to perform the task. But the plane has somehow behaved differently. Who is responsible? Not MAS but certainly the makers of the plane – Boeing Aircraft Corporation," Dr Mahathir wrote in his blog chedet.cc.

The country's longest serving premier expressed surprise that with today's array of vast and sophisticated technology to track all passenger planes, no trace of the Boeing 777-200ER aircraft had been found.

"Boeing built this aircraft. Boeing must explain how all these means of tracking the plane can be disabled, can fail. Either Boeing technology is poor or it is not fail-safe.

"I would not like to fly in Boeing aircraft unless Boeing can explain how all its system can fail or be disabled," he said.

He added the onus was now on the company to demonstrate possible ways for the plane's communications system to be disabled, adding that the manufacturer must accept responsibility for building an aircraft that could vanish so completely.

Dr Mahathir said remote control technology was now very sophisticated and powerful and wondered whether Boeing had installed remote control equipment on the aircraft to prevent any hijacking attempts.

"If it did why did it not direct the aircraft to land safely? Is it possible for third parties to take control of the aircraft remotely?"

He also noted that it was a standard practice that when a plane crashes, a team of experts would arrive at the scene soonest to find the cause of the crash, but lamented that Boeing had shown no interest and had continued to keep mum.

"Boeing and the authorities in the manufacturing country should be looking out for the plane. Maybe the plane type should be grounded," he wrote.

In further defending MAS, Dr Mahathir said the carrier had been flying with numerous aircraft, has a good track record and well-trained crew.

"Even if the pilot wants to commit suicide, the co-pilot and the cabin crew would not allow him to do so without trying something. But no one, not even the passengers did anything. Maybe it is because they have been somehow incapacitated," he said.

To date, a multi-nation search for MH370 in the Indian Ocean – where it is believed to have ended – has not yielded anything.

Source: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/dr-m-defends-mas-and-blames-boeing-for-mh370s-disappearance

--The Malaysian Insider 2014-04-26

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and if it was a hijacking attempt, and the pilot switched these things off hoping MAS would sent up fighter to investigate, who is at fault ?

When flying outside primary radar coverage and being tracked by your secondary radar response only it is an extremely smart move to switch off the transponder to let your plane disappear from ATC radar. It is like switching off your headlights when getting lost while driving at night in a foreign city.

Proper procedure is to set transporder to code 7500 and transmit a distress message while the hijackers try to break through the reinforced cockpit door. This will trigger the appropriate response.

Don't try to find excuses for this dumbass.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Malaysia should build its own plane brand to rival Boeing and Airbus, a bit like the Proton car, which we all know to be an advanced piece of engineering on a par with Mercedes Benz.

I am sure that just like the Proton, it will be an incredible success, and if the price is right, every airline in Malaysia, Haiti, North Korea and Myanmar will order hundreds.

It should be called the Bhumibomber maybe....... or the 3030 Vision.

Edited by eddie61
  • Like 1

…the company should explain how it could have produced a plane with communications and tracking systems that were so easily disabled.

So, who disabled the systems Boeing? What a lousy attempt to whitewash the fiasco caused by Malaysian authorities!

Using the same logic: Why are the experts of the national carrier so stupid to purchase airplanes considered unsafe by the almighty boss?

"Even if the pilot wants to commit suicide, the co-pilot and the cabin crew would not allow him to do so without trying something. But no one, not even the passengers did anything. Maybe it is because they have been somehow incapacitated," he said.

The moron is talking like he was on the plane. Only sure thing is- most Malaysians would have celebrated if he were.

So the clowns who spotted the plane on Malay military radar are off the hook now?

To loose face, one needs to have one and it should preferably be a clean one too.

It would be almost impossible for a lowly western company to build a communication system that couldn't be disabled by the superior mentality of those crafty folks from Malaysia.

I don't know that the disappearance is the fault of MAS, or Boeing and until the plane is found, we probably won't know.

I had to Bing "Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad " to find out just who he was. He was the PM of Malaysia from 1981 - 2003. He should know better than to make statements like this.

I think it's fine for him or anyone to make statements deflecting what I also consider is the unfair criticism aimed at Malaysia, but not by making more unfounded accusations.

Edited by billsmart
  • Like 1

Lest we forget......

"...relations with the West have continued to fluctuate. In June this year Dr Mahathir described Westerners - or more particularly 'Anglo-Saxon Europeans' -- as proponents of 'war, sodomy and genocide.'

Days before he resigned, he angered several foreign governments and Jewish groups by claiming the a Jewish cabal 'ruled the world'."

BBC, 2003. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2059518.stm

Is it safe to presume MAS is nearly out of business by now? Their losses were averaging $500,000,000 per year before this fiasco. And now? Is it not a state owned enterprise? Is he not the leader of the ruling party? Do I need to say anymore? It is the remark of a scared child. He is tired of taking criticism for the poor handling of this tragedy, and that govt. does not take criticism well. Their treatment of Anwar is despicable. What could we have expected from these guys? Anything bordering on correct behavior?

This has moved into the truly bizarre zone. Dr. M should have kept riding into the sunset, instead

of making a complete fool out of himself with statements like this. He should really be questioning

why Malaysia Airlines has pilots who may be involved in this, or why the airline took the cheapie

route and chose not to pay for ACARS tracking...... If he thinks this will play to the Malaysian people,

either they are really stupid, or he has completely lost the plot.

The Malaysian authorities were completely hopelessly out of their depth from the very first hour of this saga. They demonstrated repeatedly that they could not be trusted with information. They blundered about until the Australians took pity on them and allowed them to save some face by taking over the lead.

Now this geriatric cretin insists on showing the world what a third world nation they still want to be...despite the trappings.

How on earth did Dr. M ever manage to hold high office. His comments were garbage, if indeed they came from him and not his PR guru. Either way they will have been confined to the bin where they belong...has beens.

I don't want to defend this idiot's twaddle so I ask this purely out of curiosity.

Could not all passenger aircraft be fitted by the manufacturer with a locator beacon that can not be switched off while the aircraft is in the air?

Couple this with an international tracking system that checks the aircraft's location at pre-set intervals.

What are the reasons that this is not done as a matter of course? Expense, or technical difficulties?

Given the sophistication of modern aircraft control I would have thought that this would be reasonably straightforward to implement and would not add much to the overall cost of an aircraft.

Edited by DoctorB

Perhaps Mathahir should go back to persecuting Anwar, I think Boeing is a little bit bigger target and it will be harder to pin it on them until they find the plane.

Mr Anwar is not so difficult to convict for the muslims in Malaysia, but I think this guy is pointing in the right direction. Nowadays it should be pretty easy to make a air-plane secured against hi-jacking and also easy to track wherever it goes, or whatever happens to it, for a small amount of money.wai.gif

I'm not a fan of Mahatir after what he did to Anwar Ibrahim. However, the bombardment of the hateful comments shows how bestial are the great majority of Europeans.

Wait a minute........Are you saying that making fun of insane comments from Dr. M

makes me a bestial person ?? Wow, I am simply stunned, and a little bit hurt......

No, not really. I love sticking pins into pompous self righteous people, and he

certainly put himself into the firing line by trying to save Malaysian Airlines by throwing

Boeing under the bus. Hard to believe this guy actually ran a country....

• Like 1