Giotto Italian Restaurant, Meechok Plaza

seesip

Tried this place for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Nice mellow interior, comfortable seats, big windows showing the kitchen and pizza oven. Pizzas were good--thin crust with nice blistered crust. Pork chop was really good, nicely browned with rosemary cream gravy. Even got a chilled beer glass! It's definitely worth a try if you're around this area. I was a surprised this place got a harsh review a few weeks ago, I'm glad to have another option around here.

I noticed the place last week when I was at Meechock....it looks very pleasant indeed, but I was reluctant to go in because there were absolutely no customers. I will try it next time I have the urge for Italian cuisine.

I was on the fence but the menu looked tasty so I gave it a shot. There were a few people in there last night, maybe 3 other tables. Apparently they haven't done much advertising yet, but if they keep the quality up they could do well in that spot.

I was on the fence but the menu looked tasty so I gave it a shot. There were a few people in there last night, maybe 3 other tables. Apparently they haven't done much advertising yet, but if they keep the quality up they could do well in that spot.

We ate there when it first opened, not bad, but not worth writing home about. I eat breakfast at Kellys a couple doors down, and noticed their pizzas are a few baht cheaper, but never ate theirs, so cant really compare. There is a pizza place past Big C Hang Dong, on the left, that is always very busy. We ate there a few times, and I swear that is the best pizzas in CM. Non spicy or any level spicy, and a choice of 3 crusts. Highly recommend it, but sorry the name slips me at the moment.

We ate there when it first opened, not bad, but not worth writing home about. I eat breakfast at Kellys a couple doors down, and noticed their pizzas are a few baht cheaper, but never ate theirs, so cant really compare. There is a pizza place past Big C Hang Dong, on the left, that is always very busy. We ate there a few times, and I swear that is the best pizzas in CM. Non spicy or any level spicy, and a choice of 3 crusts. Highly recommend it, but sorry the name slips me at the moment.

That pizza place in Hang Dong is Pizza n' Pasta. The pizza is great. They've got a new york sauce (my favorite) and 2 other varieties which I think are meant mainly to appeal to Thai taste. Certainly not to mine.

As for Giotto, usually when a restaurant opens it takes a while tor it to become consistent. I believe that the person who reviewed it elsewhere noted that in his unfavorable review and said he would give it another shot after it had settled into its groove.

Just came home from Giotto. Liked it very much. I had a Margarita pizza which was the best I've had in Chiang Mai (Lanterna di Genova, Girasole, Street Pizza, Duke's, Paradise, and my previous favorite - La Fontana - which I still like.) Thin crust, about 12 inches/wide - plenty for one person. The crust, which is usually the weak point for me, was just right, not too soft, not too crisp, with real flavor for a change. This is a Margarita that is heavy on the cheese, so if you prefer a pizza with more tomato sauce than cheese, it might not be right for you. Very tasty! (150 baht) I saw a couple of other pizzas come out of the wood-fired oven and they looked very good. The real surprise for me was the garden salad (95baht) which was huge - enough for two - and loaded with mixed vegetables including julienned beets and radishes. The dressing was a delicious passion fruit vinigrette which was oh so good. I think I''d go back just for the salad. I got there at 6:30 pm and was the only one. By 7:00 the place was 3/4 full. Service was excellent. So glad it's really close to where I live. Just across the street from the right side of Rimping in the strip with all the restaurants. The menu looked great and I'll be sampling it real soon. thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I had dinner at Giotto this evening. Tried one of the pasta specials: fettuccine arra seafood [sic]. The seafood included was nicely done and generous. The pasta itself was overcooked and slathered with way too much marinara sauce. The restaurant itself was attractive, comfy, and some thought appears to have gone into the decor. Despite a disappointing meal tonight, I will admit that the pizzas coming out of the kitchen did look tasty. I'll stop back in at some point and give one of their pizzas a try before passing final judgment...

The real surprise for me was the garden salad (95baht) which was huge - enough for two - and loaded with mixed vegetables including julienned beets and radishes. The dressing was a delicious passion fruit vinigrette which was oh so good. I think I''d go back just for the salad.

the real surprise for me was the Caesar salad at 120 Baht. previously my favorite had been from Steak of the Day. but this Caesar salad may be a tad better and a much more generous portion. Thai friends really liked the Caesar too. i've been back a couple of times and just ordered Caesar salad.

the other items are hit and miss. we tried the pizza once and it didn't have much flavor at all. but after some salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil it was better. the crust is overly thin IMO.

the place is nice and comfortable and the people are friendly. this place really does have potential.

I was there a few weeks ago, and I have to say that I wasn't impressed. The pizza crust was dry, and the pizza was quite small and overpriced for what you get. I wouldn't call it real Italian food. It's still more of what a Thai person thinks Italian food should be like.

Mamma Mia up the Mae Jo road is much better and more reasonably priced for what you get. Also, the owner is Italian, so he knows what he's doing.

Mamma Mia up the Mae Jo road is much better and more reasonably priced for what you get. Also, the owner is Italian, so he knows what he's doing.

i would describe it as only a notch better. it's really aimed at the Thai audience. both are better than the place at the enterence to moobaan Tanawan but that's not saying much.

I was there today. I ordered the parma ham, Parmesan, and rocket pizza. It was much better than I expected. If you like the thick crust and heavily topped pizzas at Dukes, that's not what you'll get. Don't get me wrong, I like the pizza at Dukes once in a while, but two slices and I'm done. I built a pizza oven last year and Giotto's type pizza is what I am aiming for...ultra thin crust, cooks at 700 degrees F in about 90 seconds. The one we ate today was slightly under cooked. I hope the owner will be there to supervise the Thais in the kitchen, as plus or minus 30 seconds on a pizza like that makes all the difference and it's almost impossible to know food and get it right if you didn't grow up eating it. In my opinion, it's a great addition to that plaza.

i think it has great potential. it really just needs a couple of *very important* tweeks such as the cooking times (we too got over-cooked pasta and under-cooked pizza), as well as getting the seasonings just right as the pizza is a little bland. really the owner/chef just needs to work on training the kitchen staff a little better. as has been said, it is a welcome addition but it needs a little work.

• 2 weeks later...

Ate there recently and thought the pizza (pizza margherita) was some of the best I've had in a long time. In particular the cheese, but also the crust, was great. Sadly there was little choice for meat toppings except pork based things. Didn't see any farangs in the kitchen, so perhaps it means cooking time, at least for pizza, has now been sorted out.

Also had a decent salad with passion fruit dressing (stealing that great idea for my own private use), though slightly expensive (95B?) relative to the contents I felt. Less lettuce and more other vegetables, and it would have been better. Obviously opinions varies, as I see somebody else commented this salad was very generous (for two even?). Or maybe my salad was different. :-(

Ate there recently and thought the pizza (pizza margherita) was some of the best I've had in a long time. In particular the cheese, but also the crust, was great. Sadly there was little choice for meat toppings except pork based things. Didn't see any farangs in the kitchen, so perhaps it means cooking time, at least for pizza, has now been sorted out.

Also had a decent salad with passion fruit dressing (stealing that great idea for my own private use), though slightly expensive (95B?) relative to the contents I felt. Less lettuce and more other vegetables, and it would have been better. Obviously opinions varies, as I see somebody else commented this salad was very generous (for two even?). Or maybe my salad was different. :-(

there is no farang involvement whatsoever.

Caesar salad is a very generous serving. haven't tried the others.

Ah, my bad. I blindly assumed the cook referred to for overseeing the cooking time was a farang.

Mrs. Awk had the Caesar salad. Her comments were that it tasted good, but only had lettuce. (Slight exaggeration on her part, as it obviously had some other things too, but like my salad, not much else.)

Ah, my bad. I blindly assumed the cook referred to for overseeing the cooking time was a farang.

Mrs. Awk had the Caesar salad. Her comments were that it tasted good, but only had lettuce. (Slight exaggeration on her part, as it obviously had some other things too, but like my salad, not much else.)

it's a traditional Caesar salad with Romaine, fresh grated Parmesan, croutons, bacon and the classic Caesar dressing. so yes, not much else.

it's a traditional Caesar salad with Romaine, fresh grated Parmesan, croutons, bacon and the classic Caesar dressing. so yes, not much else.

Thanks. I'll tell Mrs. Awk to stop ordering Caesar in the future if she wants other vegetables.

I ordered Giotta's Pork Lover pizza today (first time visit).

Tasteless and overpriced. Hardly any meat & the smallest pizza I've ever had in Chiangmai.

Mama Mia's & Toon's is far superior. For that matter even Pizza Company serves better pizza & value than Giotta's.

Will not go back there again.

• 1 year later...

I have dined three times here in the last four months - excellent in all respects ... pleasant, helpful staff, good food, and a very nice ambiance.

Not surprised to find it full on two occasions, and booking a table is advisable.

They work hard, and deserve continuing success.

One of my favorite places now. I go often; about once a week. Caesar salad is superb. As said earlier on...on par with Steak of the Day or even better. Pizza Margherita is great as is pizza Giotto. This place does really good business and often we have to go to Rimping for a while to kill some time while waiting for a table. Owner/chef and staff are all very friendly.

Highly recommended.

For a nice pie in the area go across the street to 5th Avenue (the plaza just north of Tesco) and in the back is Enoteca (https://www.facebook.com/GreatFineWine)

It also has great Italian food, my fav place to dine these days!

Hmm- The Enoteca FB map shows it west of the river towards the airport! But fifth avenue FB finds that Plaza. Must give this a try it looks good.

For a nice pie in the area go across the street to 5th Avenue (the plaza just north of Tesco) and in the back is Enoteca (https://www.facebook.com/GreatFineWine)

It also has great Italian food, my fav place to dine these days!

Hmm- The Enoteca FB map shows it west of the river towards the airport! But fifth avenue FB finds that Plaza. Must give this a try it looks good.

That is the same place that I referred to as Buonissimo in the other Italian thread. Its the old Buonissimo team that used to be in Maejo and more recently as a wine and food outlet on Changklan.

If you know where 5th Avenue is just turn hard left as you enter and the restaurant is 100mts straight ahead.

Wow. Looks amazing. Had no idea there was anything back there. Thanks for the heads up.

And the wine collection...??? Unreal... I'd like to get locked in there one night....all I would need would be a corkscrew and a wine glass!licklips.gif

Seriously, I wonder how the wine keeps long-term in this climate?

I go to Pizzeria Giotto regularly because I live nearby. It has been excellent every time. Salads and pizzas as good any I've had in Chiang Mai. They have a wood-burning oven which can only accommodate a couple of pies at a time, so you might have to wait a while when it's crowded, but I've only found it packed on a Sunday night. (I usually go fairly early - 6:30-7:30 pm for dinner.) Glad to have this place in my area - and also Salsa Kitchen, which has opened a branch just a hundred meters up the the road (3029) past Meechok Plaza.