Would you stop and help someone who was hit by a bus?

arnold40844

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone will have called the "Foundation" and /or the police. No different from any other country. If you don't know the numbers to call you could have done nothing.

Edited by VocalNeal

With such a seriously injured person what can you do ?? Are you a Medic ? A broken arm / leg for example handled by an in-experienced person could do more harm then good. Call the Police and the rescue services is all you can / could do.

Edit: // VocalNeal beat me to it thumbsup.gif

Edited by MJCM

Yes I was on a bike and No I'm not a trained medic. As for calling family that would have been my first suggestion had I intervened, but its very unlikely that I would have been able to communicate with her or her family. From what I understand after an accident the bike and the bus will remain untouched and not moved until the police get there for insurance purposes.

Had I intervened I think due to communication issues i would have just made the situation worse. Going up to someone and asking them if they are okay and do they know where they are after and accident when they can't understand you is not exactly going to be comforting.

Anyway more so I was just a bit horrified that no one seemed to go help her including my wife.

The victim was a Thai, your wife is presumably a Thai. If she isn't going to help, why should you?

In Saudi, we were told to run away if we saw someone injured, as if they died it would be our fault ( it's complicated ).

What you could have done would have been to insist your wife called the police, in case no one else did.

• Like 1

The victim was a Thai, your wife is presumably a Thai. If she isn't going to help, why should you?

In Saudi, we were told to run away if we saw someone injured, as if they died it would be our fault ( it's complicated ).

What you could have done would have been to insist your wife called the police, in case no one else did.

Totally agree with you on that one, If you offer any assistance in Saudi then you are liable under Sharia law, walk the other way....fast

Can I ask Sheryl though....and I know you offer excellent advice many times Sheryl......you mention if the op had a car then you could ferry them to hospital, but is it not against medical practice to move an injured person? just inquiring, not criticising,

Regardswai2.gif

• Like 2

If a foreigner stops to help there is always a strong chance that they can end up paying for any medical treatment. Perhaps that is why thais dont get involved?

Ridiculous!

How is this different from the boat drivers not helping those kids????

Everyone and their dog castigated them........maybe all onlookers should have been rounded up and fined.

• Like 1

Yes, of course you should help. IGNORE everyone who says you shouldn't. It doesn't matter if you are medically trained or not, or even if you have basic first aid. The woman was hurt, she needed help. Calling the emergency services, trying to get her some transport if appropriate, calling her family and friends (or getting a Thai speaker to do it). All of it helps.

It is not the same in the West, absolutely not. If someone has an accident I guarantee that people will be rallying around and helping.

Don't lose your sense of human decency.

I helped a mother and her young son once who were on a motorbike with no helmets when they were struck by another motorbike. The toddler hit the pavement as did the mum,, the only thing the other guy did (who got up relatively unharmed) was start to complain about the damage to his bike. Terrible, truly terrible. The kid was fine and so was the mother and even though I don't speak Thai the mother took the trouble to acknowledge me whilst holding her son to thank me for my help.

Don't stop being a normal human being whatever you do. There may be a risk here in helping but it is far outweighed by the need to help when someone is in trouble.

I have to agree with you here, although I have no medical training I guess even a few words of comfort and getting others to help would go a long way. Maybe some water or a makeshift pillow, I would also like to think that someone would do the same for me. After a bad bike crash in England many years ago everybody stopped to help, there was even an old lady who went round the corner and bought me a bag of chips, bless her. However the same rule about walking away still stands here in Saudi I am afraid.

I would have helped, did the same for an American chap a month or so ago, even went to the hospital to check he was ok.....only half an hour of my time...why not?

"If a foreigner stops to help there is always a strong chance that they can end up paying for any medical treatment."

Don't believe some of the scaremongering about being blamed....load of rubbish in my opinion....can anyone give us a first hand account of this happening?

Your wife obviously speaks Thai and could have spoken to her and comforted her until the "emergency" services arrived....yes/no?

• Like 2

If a foreigner stops to help there is always a strong chance that they can end up paying for any medical treatment. Perhaps that is why thais dont get involved?

Ridiculous!

Everyone and their dog castigated them........maybe all onlookers should have been rounded up and fined.

This is certainly NOT ridiculous. It is absolutely correct.

This year I turned right at traffic lights from Sukhumvit into Threppessit Road near Jomtiein, driving no more that 5mph surrounded by motorbikes, since the lights had just changed, one woman fell over. The woman had a small child on the bike and whilst turning was trying to use her telephone. She did not touch my car but I stopped to make sure she and the child were OK. Local taxi-bike drivers started telling her to say I hit her (we established that later when my Thai wife arrived and she freely admitted I had not touched her). They called the Police whilst i tended to her.

A policeman arrived - took my driving licence and I was told I had to go to the Police station in Jomptein. At the Police station I was told to take the little girl and her mother to the local hospital where I was presented with the bill (only about 200baht so I was not going to complain since I was more concerned about the little girl). Back at the Police station I was then fined 200 baht before they would return my driving licence!!! I had to sign a load of paperwork confirming my "accident" which I was not happy about but my wife insisted to not "cause a problem".

Is this uncommon - you bet your life its not. If it was a serious accident - next time I think I might just drive on since I really cannot afford to end up paying other peoples hospital bills.

• Like 1

If you have no skills, just putting pressure on any bleeding and holding her hand will help.

Don't try to move her at all, or you could cause further injury!

Just do what you think is right, not what all the cynics say.

• Like 1

To be honest...anyone that just wanders off doing nothing...ESPECIALLY if nobody else is doing anything...is just low, they really need to take a look at themselves quite seriously.

You may not have been able to do anything....but, and its a big but, you may have at least been able to put pressure on a very bad bleed and help stem the flow until help arrives....if nothing, you ould have at least sat with the person and comforted them, reasuring them help is coming.

How would you feel laying on the road....nobody assisting in any way whatsoever....what if that was your son or daughter or wife !!!!

• Like 1

To be honest...anyone that just wanders off doing nothing...ESPECIALLY if nobody else is doing anything...is just low, they really need to take a look at themselves quite seriously.

You may not have been able to do anything....but, and its a big but, you may have at least been able to put pressure on a very bad bleed and help stem the flow until help arrives....if nothing, you ould have at least sat with the person and comforted them, reasuring them help is coming.

How would you feel laying on the road....nobody assisting in any way whatsoever....what if that was your son or daughter or wife !!!!

And this is the dry season!!!

Ridiculous!

This year I turned right at traffic lights from Sukhumvit into Threppessit Road near Jomtiein, driving no more that 5mph surrounded by motorbikes, since the lights had just changed, one woman fell over. The woman had a small child on the bike and whilst turning was trying to use her telephone. She did not touch my car but I stopped to make sure she and the child were OK. Local taxi-bike drivers started telling her to say I hit her (we established that later when my Thai wife arrived and she freely admitted I had not touched her). They called the Police whilst i tended to her.

A policeman arrived - took my driving licence and I was told I had to go to the Police station in Jomptein. At the Police station I was told to take the little girl and her mother to the local hospital where I was presented with the bill (only about 200baht so I was not going to complain since I was more concerned about the little girl). Back at the Police station I was then fined 200 baht before they would return my driving licence!!! I had to sign a load of paperwork confirming my "accident" which I was not happy about but my wife insisted to not "cause a problem".

Is this uncommon - you bet your life its not. If it was a serious accident - next time I think I might just drive on since I really cannot afford to end up paying other peoples hospital bills.

Dear god how weak and pathetic you are...and your wife is a wonderful support network for you.

My wife was running a bit late for work and was off like a shot to get on the BTS. There were 6 lanes of traffic, its a very busy junction and it was the morning rush, all cars just ignore the red lights, I would have had to walk out in traffic to get to her whilst people were beeping and trying to get passed. I didn't have my phone as I'd only nipped out to drop the wife at the station. I suppose I just felt there were lots of people around more qualified to help from a communication perspective as well as having a phone to call the emergency services. I felt like there was nothing I could have done.

Looking back though, maybe there was.

• Like 1

It as back in 2005, at Munich, to be precise at a small town called Misbach.

My first time in Germany and to see a ski resort on the top of the mountain. Since I have never skied nor I knew how, I was just having fun watching people skiing. I was accompanied by a local friend.

Well it was getting dark around 5 pm and my friend who is German skied down to get his car.

On the other hand me, I was slowly carefully walking down from the mid mountain to the bottom.

As I almost reached at the bottom, I heard some one crying and saying something in German and it was all quiet again, again screaming and quiet, I was confused and wasn't sure what was all that about. But I could hear the scream on interval, it was kind of dark by then, and no one around or nearby. And I had no cellphone to call my friend too. I decide to climb upto the direction of the sound was coming from, gotta admit I was scared a bit ...lol.

On the dark all alone walking towards the sound of some one screaming.

I could understand it was a ladies voice, However, it took almost 20+ minutes for me to reach her. Once arrived I saw a lady on the ground with her one leg badly broken and twisted. She was crying and talking to me in German , I had no clue of a single word that she was trying to say but understood she was in pain and asking for help. I told her with sign language to wait and I will come back to her. I ran as fast I could, exhausted, hoping to find some one, came down the hill couldn't breathe properly still ran on the road looking for some one, after a whole saw a parking lot with a bar, ran inside, they all looked at me in surprise, all I could say is HELP...a lady in that direction of the mountain needs HELP....then one gentleman called ambulance and police, and I ran back again to her, none came with me, but soon after another 20-25 mints the police came and arranged rescue people to bring her down. I'm glad I went back to see who was crying in pain and looking for help. If I didn't go to her, god knows what would have happened. ( oh I didn't get her name or I did not knew who she was nor she knew who I was, but I know if I see her again I will know her for sure, those 25-30 mints during waiting while holding her hand it was magical.)

So if I was there no matter what happens I would do my best to help or else I don't think I can breath in peace.

Nice story, you did the right thing, but obviously don't need to tell you that.

How would you feel if it was you under the bus and everybody ignored you. You should feel bad and not lower yourself to the scumbags who turn the other way.

She's a human being in need of help , shame on you !!!

Chnge da lays n yo cuntr's n u mite jus c pepl ofr assistance, bufalo!

Persnalee I hav rendrd asistans numer x's, & sav lives of 4 pepl, but no here!

Here, I leave, so some scam artist doesn't put me together!

cuntree's onlee bcum devolop f peps hav eduksion. Thai id 71 on da list. remind 2 hold breth 4 u 2 kao jai consept...

I guess that would put you from......Botswana or Ethiopia?

Just a guess.

Guessing too, that someone's beaten me to my guess.

• Like 1

Ridiculous!

It is ridiculous. People come first, full stop, a woman and a small child fell over by that busy turning (i know it well, as the lights change its a free for all as bikes jostle for position).

So,you did the decent thing and stopped and helped her. would you do it again? i hope so.

You can worry about the stupidness of the Thai police later. At the end of the day the police were wrong,, you could have stuck it out and said you weren't signing anything that said you were in an accident because you weren't (exactly what I would have done because the "face" thing means nothing to me). If it went further then you would for sure just be given your license back and been on your way.

There is no way that the police want anything hitting the press that a foreigner stopped to help a mother and child and then got accused of causing the accident,, absolutely never. Any good solicitor would squash it in a heartbeat, especially as the lady admitted that you were not involved.

Next time something like happens tell them you are calling your embassy for help, you will be on your way quickly.

• Like 1