Apple Warranty Service

curtklay

I am about to order a new Imac from the Thai Apple Online Store (Singapore) but am confused about their warranty service in Thailand. I'm debating whether the 3 year coverage is worthwhile. I live in Phrae province. The Apple terms are a bit vague as to what I could expect if warranty service is needed. They say at their option, they might offer onsite service, bring in service, or ship to service. Of course, I would prefer onsite service, but wonder if that is really possible where I live. As far as bring in service, the closest authorized service is in Lampang, about 1.5 hours away. There is a Maczone store in our local mall, but I don't know what they're capable of.

So I'd like to hear from other's experience. If onsite service is likely, I'd be willing to buy the extended warranty, If Maczone can service it, that would be OK, but if I have to schlep it to Lampang, or ship it to God knows where, I don't think I'm getting much for the extra cost. Oddly, Maczone is not listed as authorized service on the Apple website.

Thanks in advance for your input.

As a long-time Apple customer, the AppleCare (extended warranty) has paid off for me, on a few occasions, as some key parts are extremely expensive and can not be substituted by "generic" parts when they go.

Apple has different levels of authorizations and most authorized resellers are not authorized service centers. In Thailand, they often only have one service center per province, with the exception of Bangkok where there are several.

The service centers usually do not have a large parts inventory and have to order from Singapore. Therefore, the time you are without your iMac is often not very different whether you send it to the main service facility or bring it to a regional service center who then has to wait for parts.

I hope this puts things in perspective.

• Like 1

I am about to order a new Imac from the Thai Apple Online Store (Singapore) but am confused about their warranty service in Thailand. I'm debating whether the 3 year coverage is worthwhile. I live in Phrae province. The Apple terms are a bit vague as to what I could expect if warranty service is needed. They say at their option, they might offer onsite service, bring in service, or ship to service. Of course, I would prefer onsite service, but wonder if that is really possible where I live. As far as bring in service, the closest authorized service is in Lampang, about 1.5 hours away. There is a Maczone store in our local mall, but I don't know what they're capable of.

So I'd like to hear from other's experience. If onsite service is likely, I'd be willing to buy the extended warranty, If Maczone can service it, that would be OK, but if I have to schlep it to Lampang, or ship it to God knows where, I don't think I'm getting much for the extra cost. Oddly, Maczone is not listed as authorized service on the Apple website.

In Thailand there is NO service! Thailand is an unsupported Country. Better to buy it in a neighboring country & take the repairs there. Apple, just to note is completely Region locked.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

fstarbkk:

Thanks for your reply. It does help clarify things, and I am going to spring for the Apple Care extended warranty. While it doesn't sound real convenient, it does seem to be the only way to protect my investment.

oz893:

What in the world are you talking about?!

Chicog:

Thanks for the tip. I didn't see the Apple sub-forum until after I posted. I have asked the Mods to move it.

In Thailand there is NO service! Thailand is an unsupported Country. Better to buy it in a neighboring country & take the repairs there. Apple, just to note is completely Region locked.

That's absolute rubbish.... there are official service centres in BKK.... that cover and do warranty work .... Just phone Apple and they will tell you were to go.... they will give you a service order number and you can choose from one of three service centres.

Do a search here, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/150-apple-forum/

because locations have been posted before.

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Thanks, Samuijimmy.

I know that Apple has authorized service in Bangkok and other locations in Thailand. It's a hazard on the forums that someone will post that has absolutely no clue as to what they are saying.

Thanks to you and fstarbkk for your accuracy.

• Like 1

Trolling posts and replies have been removed. Topic has now been moved to the Apple forum.

Edit to add: A non helpful inflammatory post has now been removed. If you cannot post in a civil manner, back away from your keyboard for awhile.

Edited by metisdead
Additional note added.
  • Like 1

Sorry the thread got hijacked from some <deleted>

I think best thing would be to just call Apple Support and ask direct about the support options in your area:

http://store.apple.com/th/help/contact

I've had onsite support, but am in Bangkok. smile.png

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed a derogatory comment
  • Like 1

Thank you, ubonjoe and metisdead.

We seem to have had a <deleted> running loose in my topic. If he returns, feel free to close it.

Also thanks to DaveBKK for your experience and accurate comments. Sorry you had to endure a personal attack. From you, fstarbkk, and samuijimmy, I have the correct answers to my questions, and I appreciate your venturing into shark infested waters to help me.

• Like 2

That's absolute rubbish.... there are official service centres in BKK.... that cover and do warranty work .... Just phone Apple and they will tell you were to go.... they will give you a service order number and you can choose from one of three service centres.

Do a search here, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/150-apple-forum/

because locations have been posted before.

Yes, absolute rubbish! You're absolutely wrong.

Posting doesn't it make it true. I called Apple USA directly about all authorized dealers or service centers in Asia. They're also no Apple Stores in Malaysia, Vietnam. Not sure Singapore, but verified (obviously) in China.

Those service centers aren't Apple. "iStudio", "Power Buy"...all these places are 3rd party outlets. Just call Apple, they will tell you or just ask the most English speaking Thai rep in one of these places. "Thailand is unsupported by Apple, Inc". The guarantees you get from these so called Authorized Dealers offer 1 year guarantee of covered repairs (excluding screen or water damage). They also offer a reduced cost replacement at a percentage of the cost for 650-700 baht. Got an iPhone 5s from iStudio in BK less than 2 months ago. Repair would only be authorized by iStudio. The one year warranty is not Apple & there is no extended version like in a real Apple Store.

Thanks for your input, Rich. I know you are correct and appreciate your confirmation. I have verified the Apple Extended Service Plan with The Apple Online Store that serves Thailand from Singapore. It's all good.

I don't know why this guy keeps ranting on with his delusions. A couple weeks ago he was sounding a false alarm about Visa credit cards no longer being valid in Thailand. He got a lot of people all stirred up with his nonsense. I wish he would just go away.

Hope all is well with you!

Edited by curtklay
  • Like 2