Ragu Italian country kitchen open at promanada

kcore

Ate there this weekend with a group of friends. What a wonderful restaurant -- you would have thought they'd been open for weeks not a few minutes! The atmosphere is great as is the food.

Come on, Dave, we need restaurant options like this in Maya Mall. Do you know what it's like to go see a movie there and have to eat dinner at the little restaurant in the Rim Ping grocery store? That's NOT an evening out! There's no place to get a good meal at Maya Mall and now we hear you're not coming to Maya. Why do people with cars get to have all the fun of having a night out -- movie and dinner. How about those of us who want to walk down the street for an evening like that?

.....Cuz there is no place to tie your hoss out at the Prom.....

More seriously.... to Dave....... wishing and knowing you will have all the best with the newest place. See I'm leaving room for the next one ..

All the best will come to CM's best restraunteur

G

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm copy and pasting my thoughts on Ragu I posted from "pizza in cm - help!" topic. Not because (ok, not only because) I like the sound of my own voice but that there's a better chance that Dave might see it here as others seem to be in agreement with my feelings.

If your referring to Ragu from the famed Dukes organization I had an acceptable meal there last night. Caesar Salad had bright and correct flavors but missed the creaminess gotten from egg yolk in the dressing (wonder if pasteurized egg yolk can be procured here?). Also the lettuce was cut into rather thin ribbons so difficult to eat as it was non-traditonally served. Kids had pizza off child's menu which was ok and Mac and Cheese tasted great but it was Rigatoni and Cheese (why not just state that on the menu if that's what your serving or show kitchen staff what Macaroni is). My Boneless Beef Short Ribs pasta was fine, lots of meat but not much else incl. other flavors. The over 1000 kinds of pasta are made for a purpose each one being different for a reason, like some are ribbed so the sauce can adheres to it. Rigatoni doesn't cut it in Mac and Cheese as it just loses that total gooeyness that makes it so good. And even though I did order Fettucini with my Ragu the watery consistency of the sauce (how was I suppose to know?) didn't work with the flat, hence slippery, noodles. The house Red was a very nice Italian and would have been fine for 160 bht a glass if the pour wasn't so small it was finished in 4-5 sips. Overall for a 3 week old restaurant it was fine but for 1000 bht for 2 I think some of the rough edges could and should be improved upon.

Interesting post. I was there with four adults and two granddaughters total bill was around 1,200 baht and all except for my wife really enjoyed the meal. The wife says if it is not Thai it is not good. But she did make an exception for the Garlic Bread which I found to be the best I have had in Thailand.

On another point I am just commenting on how much we enjoyed the food. It might not be done correctly but it was done tastefully. Which is what I am more concerned with. I get a kick out of junglechef's posts. He reminds me of a friend of mine who can sit there and point out every thing wrong with a dish. But when it comes to eating it he is not fussy. Funny to watch him eat and enjoy it while he tells me what is wrong with it. junglechef no offence meant. I enjoy your opinions and never miss a one.

The service could have been better. fortunately Joe and Dave were there and they fixed any problems right now. But they will need to get a better staff. I have no problem making allowances for just opening problems. Will defiantly go back if I am there alone. If the wife is along with me will go to the Dukes as she does admit the Ribs are good. Wonder if I can get a take away Garlic bread and take it up to eat at the Dukes.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

Wish I was so fortunate as to be able to not let the problems with the food inhibit my enjoyment. I think sometimes I try to reveal the things that make or don't make a meal good from the eye of this Chef, those little things that can make a difference. Noticing details which could be lost on a many but never the less are part of the total dining experience. Everyone ones a critique but not everyone ones a Chef, if they know it or not! Glad you are enjoying my ramblings or at least are amused by them. I love reading your and many other posters thoughts, just might want to at least remember the name of the place your commenting on tongue.png (sorry don't want to make a post without at least once being annoying, my core fan base might be disappointed)

• Like 1

Wish I was so fortunate as to be able to not let the problems with the food inhibit my enjoyment. I think sometimes I try to reveal the things that make or don't make a meal good from the eye of this Chef, those little things that can make a difference. Noticing details which could be lost on a many but never the less are part of the total dining experience. Everyone ones a critique but not everyone ones a Chef, if they know it or not! Glad you are enjoying my ramblings or at least are amused by them. I love reading your and many other posters thoughts, just might want to at least remember the name of the place your commenting on tongue.png (sorry don't want to make a post without at least once being annoying, my core fan base might be disappointed)

Sorry, not really it is more and more senior moments. Ragu

I have to be very careful as their are spelling police out there and I never could spell.

As I said my friend can point those things out to me and still enjoy the meal. With my taste buds I wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless it was really different. I don't know if you are like my friend. He seems to know every thing about the industry. It is a very interesting business when you consider the many ways of stealing from the employer and how the food rating by the health and welfare is not always related to the food . Much more to the business than just cooking.

Flat bread pizza's are good, enough for me at lunchtime though I will try pasta and garlic bread next visit. My Thai wife loves pasta and pizza but I think she'll go for the home-made sausages.

IMG_8297.JPG

Nice kitchen >

IMG_8296.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yes they just opened yesterday. Talking with Dave last night and he said it was going good a little more work to do on the bread and it would be perfect. With Dave doing it you can be assured of quality and cleanliness.

You do realize it is Dave from Dukes.

As we know from the Dukes and the River Market Dave and Quality go hand in hand though I am surprised he opened up another restaurant at Promenada, certainly will give it a try in the near future.

a recent visit to CM we went to River market and all 6 of us agreed one of worst meals wed ever had and stupidly expensive. Ive eaten in most places during visits to CM including most expensive and some of cheapest and River city was total crap. Maybe they had a off day or something but i and my friends wont be giving them another chance.

We left most of food and went and ate elsewhere it was so bad and we've never done that before

Must be the only ones, everyone else i know has only great or very good things to say about it. I suppose your glass was half empty too.

Yes they just opened yesterday. Talking with Dave last night and he said it was going good a little more work to do on the bread and it would be perfect. With Dave doing it you can be assured of quality and cleanliness.

You do realize it is Dave from Dukes.

As we know from the Dukes and the River Market Dave and Quality go hand in hand though I am surprised he opened up another restaurant at Promenada, certainly will give it a try in the near future.

a recent visit to CM we went to River market and all 6 of us agreed one of worst meals wed ever had and stupidly expensive. Ive eaten in most places during visits to CM including most expensive and some of cheapest and River city was total crap. Maybe they had a off day or something but i and my friends wont be giving them another chance.

We left most of food and went and ate elsewhere it was so bad and we've never done that before

Must be the only ones, everyone else i know has only great or very good things to say about it. I suppose your glass was half empty too.

I doubt he knows where he was he has said River Market was no good and River City was crap.

I wonder how many he had before he sat down for a meal.

If a Restaurant was 50% as bad as he makes it out to be I would remember the name and maybe never go back. But then again I realize every one has off days and I know enough about the business that getting and holding good staff here in the restaurant industry can be hard.

The only way to find out is to go for yourself. Trusting someone else's review without even knowing them (or if they have even been there) borders on insanity.

I went to stay at a resort up north that had even won trip advisor awards for excellence, it was disgraceful. So it goes both ways.

Caveat emptor.

I've been to Ragu twice and both meals were excellent.

First meal was with a European friend who is particular about their food. The verdict "excellent".

Second visit was with a Thai colleague who lived in the US for 10 years. Their verdict "excellent, really good, we have to come back here".

For me the food was excellent, especially when I remember that I am eating at a restaurant in Northern Thailand, yet enjoying Italian food made well. My one piece of feedback would be about the Spinach Lasagna. On the night I was there it was heavily seasoned with rosemary for some odd reason. But I ate the entire portion and enjoyed it. smile.png

I would have no hesitation to visit Ragu again.

I enjoy going to Promenada and I am glad to see more people each time I visit. It's a nice place to eat, lots of food variety, and you can enjoy Uniqlo or a movie before or after dinner.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, Ragu had a beautifully done Grand Opening! If you were fortunate enough to attend there were many menu items available for sampling including, but not limited to, sandwiches, pizza, pesto pasta, meatballs, sausage and peppers and numerous desserts along with samplings of wine, beer and Italian sodas! Most impressive and well done by the staff who strolled around with samples outside of the restaurant and inside to the tables! I've mostly enjoyed the sandwiches here which take me back to NYC's and Philadelphia's Submarines and hoagies......the bread is outstanding and the provolone is excellent! With the sampling I had yesterday, I'll be trying a lot of other dishes!

Thanks Ragu for all of the tasty treats!!! See you soon!!!

• Like 2

We are not really desert folks & usually too stuffed to try but...
The other night we took home a Caramel Cheesecake

Wow I am not kidding one serving & the wife & I could not finish it. Took two nights to eat it all smile.png

So delicious it was amazing
Had what I think was in the sane as what is in the center of Almond Roca candy shavings on top
& a layer of a very good semi sweet chocolate on the bottom above the crust

Then the cheesecake itself on a great graham crust & all drizzled in caramel.

To say it was a tasty experience is an understatement. smile.png

Hahah I really never think much about deserts nor eat them but this was really something

• Like 2

Are we all talking about the same place? We ate in the one in Promenada about two months ago and it was very much open then!

It was ok for pizza slices, but Dave had said it was going to be an Itslian style restaurant and we were disappinted by the menu. Has the menu changed, or is if still a bit of a sandwich bar ?

We visited Raju restaurant for Dave's grand opening. I had the Italian beef and my girlfriend had the Lasagna. Both dishes were excellent. I would love to see Dave open one of his restaurants at Maya Mall. Great job Dave :-)

Wait until he gets his Mexican restaurant open. He had a few samples of it in front of it yesterday during his Italian Ragu grand opening.

You people do realize there is free songthaew's from all over the city. It is not necessary to pay 200 baht to get there.

Are we all talking about the same place? We ate in the one in Promenada about two months ago and it was very much open then!

It was ok for pizza slices, but Dave had said it was going to be an Itslian style restaurant and we were disappinted by the menu. Has the menu changed, or is if still a bit of a sandwich bar ?

Been open for months now. Food is fantastic. Very extensive menu. You could eat there for a couple of weeks and still not sample everything. Sandwiches, pasta, pizza, sausages, salads, appetizers, all kinds of gourmet things. Staff is very nice and helpful. Was in there the other day for lunch and I was asked 3 times if everything was O.K.! They have a very nice wine menu too. I haven't sampled any of the wines but it sure looks good. You can see the full menu on their facebook.

Ragu has been open for months, but Dave just did the "Grand Opening" this weekend. He says there are new items on the menu. Don't know, but there did seem to be some different (and delicious) items at the Grand Opening.

Come on, Dave, we need you at Maya, too.

We visited Raju restaurant for Dave's grand opening. I had the Italian beef and my girlfriend had the Lasagna. Both dishes were excellent. I would love to see Dave open one of his restaurants at Maya Mall. Great job Dave :-)

Wait until he gets his Mexican restaurant open. He had a few samples of it in front of it yesterday during his Italian Ragu grand opening.

You people do realize there is free songthaew's from all over the city. It is not necessary to pay 200 baht to get there.

Are there any free songtows leaving from any where near Maya Mall to Promanada? I walk around this area all the time, and have never seen any.

the samples being distributed in front of the Mex restaurant were free samples from Ragu... Dave originally planned to have several tables of free samples set up around

the mall, but the turnout was so good that he decided he did not need to... short story long... that was not mexican food being served out in front of Baja Jo's (i think that is the new name)..it was Ragu samples

Are there any free songtows leaving from any where near Maya Mall to Promanada? I walk around this area all the time, and have never seen any.

Not sure where they stop. They have four different routes. Check on their web site. I got mine at the information desk there. It only shows my area. I know one is in the university area. The route I get is not in your area. Unlike the Airport Mall they are two hours apart.

the samples being distributed in front of the Mex restaurant were free samples from Ragu... Dave originally planned to have several tables of free samples set up around

the mall, but the turnout was so good that he decided he did not need to... short story long... that was not mexican food being served out in front of Baja Jo's (i think that is the new name)..it was Ragu samples

sorry about that I thought it was as it had a Mex flavor but my taste buds are not that good and I should know that a Thai might easily misunderstand English. Sorry about that.

I think it was Mexican Joe. But on that I might have to claim a senior moment.

Not sure where they stop. They have four different routes. Check on their web site. I got mine at the information desk there. It only shows my area. I know one is in the university area. The route I get is not in your area. Unlike the Airport Mall they are two hours apart.

Nope, all the free songthaews from Promenada go to the east side of town -- to the tourist areas. Nothing to Orchid Hotel or Kantary Hills, at least according to the schedule at their information desk. After Ragu's Grand Opening, we did a little shopping at Rim Ping, just to see what all the fuss was about and then inquired at the mall info desk about where we'd find a a tuk-tuk or songthaew. They said they'd call a taxi. Ten minutes later, a blue & yellow taxi showed up and took us to our condo for 180 baht. This was on a Saturday afternoon. No tuk-tuks or songthaews for hire outside the mall.

I don't expect free transport, but a waiting tuk-tuk would be nice. On a Saturday afternoon.

As I've said in previous threads, I get the strong impression that this mall doesn't want our business. That's fine, there are other malls that do.

Come on Dave, you've got to put in a restaurant at Maya!

Edited by NancyL

Do the free Promenada songthaews go to and from the tourist areas or do you have to pay one way? Those sandwiches at Rago sound like they might actually be worth the trip.

To and from both ways free. The big problem is they are two hours apart. So figure on spending some time there.

to be honest I thought they had one around the collage area. (Go on their web site and see if they have a stop close to you). Like here where I live requires a little walking and not advisable if you are planning on a lot of items. But great for a movie and a good meal. Besides I see Promenada is starting to show a little more life there. In my opinion it is the nicest mall in Town just doesn't have all the stores the others do. But then again do they really need 40 shops selling the same electronics?

Nancy

Does Maya have free songthaew or don't they want are business. Same with KSG. I know Promenada , The Airport and Central festival do. I think that living in an area where there is such a large population that malls don't need to provide transportation has it's draw backs.

I noticed that a cab is only 180 baht while twice I have gone in a tuck tuck and had to pay 200 baht. The second time there was a songthaew there and he charged 200 baht coming back. The other time as you say they called me a cab.

Do the free Promenada songthaews go to and from the tourist areas or do you have to pay one way? Those sandwiches at Rago sound like they might actually be worth the trip.

To and from both ways free. The big problem is they are two hours apart. So figure on spending some time there.

to be honest I thought they had one around the collage area. (Go on their web site and see if they have a stop close to you). Like here where I live requires a little walking and not advisable if you are planning on a lot of items. But great for a movie and a good meal. Besides I see Promenada is starting to show a little more life there. In my opinion it is the nicest mall in Town just doesn't have all the stores the others do. But then again do they really need 40 shops selling the same electronics?

Nancy

Does Maya have free songthaew or don't they want are business. Same with KSG. I know Promenada , The Airport and Central festival do. I think that living in an area where there is such a large population that malls don't need to provide transportation has it's draw backs.

I noticed that a cab is only 180 baht while twice I have gone in a tuck tuck and had to pay 200 baht. The second time there was a songthaew there and he charged 200 baht coming back. The other time as you say they called me a cab.

If you can afford to shop in malls you can afford the 5-6 dollar taxi ride, sheesh. Or drive / ride there, its not that far out of town.

There are tons of tuk-tuks and songthaews at the ready outside of KSK and Central Airport Plaza. I don't know about the ones waiting outside Maya -- I approached a tuk-tuk waiting there once, soon after opening, and he wanted 150 baht to take me less than 1 km down Huey Kaew. Forget that! I just grabbed a songthaew waiting at the intersection.

That was my point about Promenada -- you'd think there would be transport waiting around outside like there is at other malls. But no! Clearly, this mall is aimed at the demographic who has cars; people who live in the 'burbs. That's fine.

It's great we have so much choice in this town. If I want to see a movie in a nice theater, I can walk to Maya. If I want to pick up a few items in a Rim Ping, I can go to the one at Maya, or take a songthaew to Nim City for more selection. If I want to eat Dave's food, then it's off to River Market, Duke's or call Mike at Meals on Wheels. (It would be nice to have one of Dave's restaurants on this side of town, however) I just don't see the need to go to Promenada very often. Why add to traffic congestion and pollution by owning a car?

There are tons of tuk-tuks and songthaews at the ready outside of KSK and Central Airport Plaza. I don't know about the ones waiting outside Maya -- I approached a tuk-tuk waiting there once, soon after opening, and he wanted 150 baht to take me less than 1 km down Huey Kaew. Forget that! I just grabbed a songthaew waiting at the intersection.

That was my point about Promenada -- you'd think there would be transport waiting around outside like there is at other malls. But no! Clearly, this mall is aimed at the demographic who has cars; people who live in the 'burbs. That's fine.

It's great we have so much choice in this town. If I want to see a movie in a nice theater, I can walk to Maya. If I want to pick up a few items in a Rim Ping, I can go to the one at Maya, or take a songthaew to Nim City for more selection. If I want to eat Dave's food, then it's off to River Market, Duke's or call Mike at Meals on Wheels. (It would be nice to have one of Dave's restaurants on this side of town, however) I just don't see the need to go to Promenada very often. Why add to traffic congestion and pollution by owning a car?

That may be true for those of you living in the heart of town.

With little to no public transport out of town a car or bike is the only option.