Visa for dependent child

I'm married to a Thai woman and our marriage are registered both in Sweden and Thailand. We are moving to Thailand in August and I have a 12 year old child from a previous relation which I have sole custody for , What kind of non-emigrant visa's are the best to apply for for me and my son. ? It seems that I have a few options but are there any options for my son? like a dependent visa, I'm 50+

You should get a non-immigrant visa, which will be a non-O class either for marriage or retirement. Your child can also get a non-O visa as your dependent. You provide the reason for the visa and the consulate provides you with the appropriate visa and class.

Once in Thailand I would advice you to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, and your son can be a dependent of you till he reaches the age of 20. (If he goes to school he can also get an extension based on his education). But based on marriage for you and he as a dependent will also do.

marriage requires les income/money in the bank, but more paperwork than retirement.

• Like 1

You and your son should apply for non immigrant O visas. You based upon your marriage and your son based upon your relationship with your wife.

If you apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage to Thai lady (400k baht in a Thai bank or 40K baht income) your son would get his extension under the same clause of the police order as you.

If you are were to apply for an extension based upon retirement (50 or over with 800k baht in bank or 65k baht income) your son would get one under another clause as you dependent.

Thanks , this is very helpful, why doesn't the Thai embassy give this information, they claim that he need a student visa, which is ok but to get one I need to register him in a proper school ant that is not so easy if you still is abroad.

For non-o visas the requirements state to stay with family members. Most places will issue them if a parent gets a visa.

other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

From: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

All you should need to show is his birth certificate for his visa and your marriage certificate for yours.

If they won't do it he can enter on a visa exempt entry and then when you get your extension you can go to any nearby embassy or consulate to get the non-o.

Children under the age of 15 do not pay for overstay so there would be no hurry.