Drought situation continues to worsen

Lite Beer

we live approx 50 km northeast Kalasin and we had one almighty storm this afternoon,including hailstones!plenty of well needed rain,water tanks filled up nicely.Cooled down lovely too,been hovering about 40 degrees fora while now.

Thailand has no idea what a drought is. Since I arrived in 2004 they have complained every year about being in drought. It is complete nonsense.

If they want to know what a drought is they should do some research in Australia. There we can go years [last drought from 2003 to 2010] with almost no rain. Animals die in their thousands or have to be destroyed Crops fail year after year. People suffer severe water use restrictions - no watering gardens, no car washing, we are asked to only flush the toilet after defecation but not after urination. It leads to bush fires which on occasions kill more than 100 people and the loss of thousands of buildings and hundreds of thousands of hectares of forest and farms destroyed.

It is just your dry season Thailand. Sometimes it might be a bit longer than usual but it is NOT drought.

That is Australia and it has been that way for thousands of years. You are referring to Thailand, a tropical country, and the analogy does not apply.

These weather conditions, which we are experiencing worldwide, is a result of climate change. We can only expect more extreme as the world population continues to increase and consume more carbon.

I, for one, aim to be carbon neutral - which wont be too difficult in Issarn!

• Like 1

2 weeks ago, I drove down the road, and witnessed numerous locals throwing large amounts of water over every passerby! (Specially entertained trying to hit motorcyclists as they went by, and seemed overjoyed on the occasions when they removed them from said vehicle!)

At that time, I saw on the local news, scenes from places like pattaya, and chiang mai, scenes from something called "songkran" which appears to be an event involving as much water as possible being shed over passersby on the road (from hose pipes, water guns, barrels, etc etc)

Surprisingly, now, after so many gallons (large litres) of water have been thrown away, (at the hottest time of the year here with the least rainfall) people are complaining of a drought!

Surely this is a no brainer right....?

Or am I missing something???

Could this be an El Nina year?

El Nino and La Nina are a couple of young Spanish kids wink.png that cause weather fluctuations in the Pacific Ocean. This year it is apparently the turn of El Nino (little boy) as opposed to La Nina (little girl) to affect the weather patterns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ni%C3%B1a

• Like 1

Again Hua Hin no clouds, no thunder, no lightning, no rain, just relentless sun. I even did my rain dance sad.png

Good god I hope the public didn't see it. Please don't publish your nationality, hope it wasn't to the music "it's raining men" (weather girls)

• Like 2

Again Hua Hin no clouds, no thunder, no lightning, no rain, just relentless sun. I even did my rain dance sad.png

just relentless sun - the best description ever since I left the school. nicely put

yesterday was the hottest day as they claimed the sun were closest to Earth.

Felt like hell.

• Like 1

just relentless sun - the best description ever since I left the school. nicely put

yesterday was the hottest day as they claimed the sun were closest to Earth.

Felt like hell.

Before the rain last night I have spent time in the pool, doing a 2 in 1. exercise and cool.

Today after the overnight rain it's back in the garden picking out bleeding weeds that the lousy rain is sending upcheesy.gif --we are never satisfied are we.

But I would rather weed and have water than parch.

• Like 1

Posts disagreeing with the forum rules have been removed. If you have a problem with the forum rules, send your complaint to the address listed in the following forum rule:

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy. Members should not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.